Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,233Posts
    • 13,213Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 17 at 7:08 PM
    !!!8216;Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    At the Christmas party hop
    Mistletoe hung where you can see
    Every couple tries to stop

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    Let the Christmas spirit ring
    Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
    And we'll do some caroling!!!8217;

Hello and welcome to the 7th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It!!!8217;s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads !!!8211; the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2018!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    jakes-mum 19th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 31-12-2017 at 2:55 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £955 (as at Apr'18)
Page 15
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 29th Mar 18, 11:52 PM
    • 886 Posts
    • 16,125 Thanks
    vulpix
    Thank You all for Birthday wishes. It all seems such a long time ago now.

Life has been getting in the way again for me.MIL was rushed into hospital.We were told she had sepsis and to expect the worst.She has only gone and rallied and we will be taking her home tomorrow.Talk about a roller coaster.

I would love to got to HP world,wizard not sauce lol.I might suggest it to DD1.

I have very slowly been making some new sittingroom curtains.The material is so heavy,I am aching tonight.They should be finished tomorrow.

All family including step son and new GF coming for lunch on Saturday.Something nice to look forward to.

Is Mr P home yet Peppa?

Wishing you all and all your families a lovely Easter. Vxxx
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 30th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 13,152 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Have a happy Easter, everyone, the chocolate egg keeps whispering my name, and saying 'eat me now', don't know how long l can resist it, maybe l'd better 'hide' it in the freezer. Have no plans for the weekend, DD and DGS1 are still away on holiday, DS2 will be here for tea, fish carry-out methinks.
    I have done something Christmassy! I have knitted slippers for DSIL and her OH, and am making a pair for my BFF for her trip to china in 4 weeks. Havent bothered to decorate for easter as the vestibule is full of mini greenhouses and plants, but the coffee table has my grans crocheted easter cloth on and a vase of daffodils, that will have to do.
    Vulpix, so glad your MIL is on the mend, and Peppa thanks for waking us all up on the thread. xx
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 30th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 13,213 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Happy Easter weekend everyone!
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £955 (as at Apr'18)
    • murie
    • By murie 30th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 9,562 Thanks
    murie
    Happy Easter everyone x
    lovin' this site!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 30th Mar 18, 4:06 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 16,307 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Happy Easter one and all

MrP is doing well thanks, been home two weeks today and still skinny but building up gradually.

DGD is coming today and staying til Wednesday or Thursday so Iíve got a busy few days coming. Sheís got some homework to do and I want to do some work on telling the time with her but Iím sure thereíll be plenty of fun things too.

MRSINVISIBLE youíve been busy with your knitting needles, I bet your BFF will be very happy with her holiday gift.

We enjoyed HP world when we went. DSIL said thereís a huge one in Florida where you can actually go in and walk round the shops and when they went his DS was picked out to try the wands in Ollivanders and he got to keep one. Unfortunately nothing like that at our one

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 1st Apr 18, 2:55 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 35,733 Thanks
    freespirit66
    HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE
    I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend, I have the Lamb in the oven now and it smells delicious, I cant wait! I am trying not to eat too much chocolate today.

VULPIX I am so sorry to hear your MIL has been so ill, sepsis seems to be at the forefront of a lot of illnesses recently

MRSINVISIBLE treat yourself and eat your chocolate egg

JAKESMUM I agree with STOKIEBECKS take your own food if you can, its expensive and not that good in the restaurant, there is a picnic place outside where you can buy butterbeer etc

PEPPAPIG I'm so glad your DH is continuing to improve, I hope you have had a nice Easter
    CURRENTLY READING THE TEASHOP OF LOST AND FOUND - TRISHA ASHLEY
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2018 £22
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2018 - £500.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 4th Apr 18, 7:35 AM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 17,188 Thanks
    nic2075
    Morning,
    Hope you all had a nice Easter weekend? I had my nephew over on Friday, so I did an egg hunt for him and my kids then. Just around the house and out on the deck and driveway. The grass is a mud bath at the moment. We then played pin the tail in the bunny, made chocolate nests and painted sun catchers. By 5pm on Friday we were all eastered out lol.

I'm feeling very fat and lazy at the moment. I need to get off my backside and do something about it. I don't want another summer of not wearing shorts and vest tops because I'm gross. I'm struggling while the kids are still off. So I've tried cutting out my evening cup of tea which I usually have a scone or bit of cake. I'm forcing myself to have bran flakes in the morning. I will start slimming world properly when they are back at school and me at work.

I'm hoping the weather gets a bit nicer next week so I can take the kids up north for a day. We are still getting snow showers!

Nothing much else been happening. just trying to stop anxiety attacks and be more laid back and enjoy stuff.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 4th Apr 18, 9:41 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 16,125 Thanks
    vulpix
    Nic,that sounds like a lovely Easter.Snap with the fat and sluggish.I weighed myself yesterday and got a shock.I have put over 3 stone on in the last 3 years.I start weight watchers tonight!

We had a lovely Easter.All the family came and all my cooking turned out great.

MIL is now home contrary to hospitals wishes. They wanted to keep her and set up carers.This has happened twice before and she has cancelled them.She is very difficult.

This is part of my weight problem.I am an emotional eater.There has been so much going on particularly this year.Stuff i don't mention here.But constant stress and worry with MIL etc etc

Maybe if I can get some control of my eating life will seem more ordered.

After my sons birthday later this month there are no family things until September.This is the time I look out for stocking fillers.I am cutting back this year though and giving money.

Love to all Vx
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 7th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 9,017 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Morning all. Sorry I have had nothing constructive to add. Like most just bimbling around with post winter blues, PIP interviews and illness. Decided to attack the garden before summer and demolish shed, greenhouse, trees, fences and hedges. All going well until the shed, luckily I was watching through the kitchen when two grown men jumped a mile, under the shed was a wonderfully constructed rats lair with tunnels and nests. Glad we found it now and dealt with I guess. Oh and they took up the back yard slabs and found the previous owner had paved over the manhole cover. So the beautiful garden we moved to in November resembles a quagmire at the moment. It will hopefully be more manageable come the summer with meadow plants but as for now I do not even wish to look out of the window. But I can honestly say that although the move was stressful it was honestly the best thing we have ever done. Everyone in the village has a smile on their face and it is so quiet. Next door will be up for sale soon so I hope none of my family get to hear about it as I am enjoying the peace.
    As for Christmas this year it will also be basic and cosy. I managed to find DS yet another chess set but this one was £60 instead of £300. Most spare money will go on to making the bungalow home and finally get to enjoy the real meaning of Christmas. Love to you all and I hope to be back posting more soon. xx
    Last edited by girlinayellowdress; 07-04-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: !!
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 8th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Hello everyone!

I'm sorry I've been terrible at posting. I kept reading and catching up and then not bothering to post anything. Very bad.

So, update on the MRI front. Recently finally got an appt. through for it (mid April) and more information. Now I'm even more terrified. Turns out I'm having an 'Adenosine stress MRI'. I shouldn't have googled about it. Fun fact, in higher doses (for a different procedure) Adenosine makes people feel like they're about to die. Not sure how well I'll be able to cope with this with my nerves and ME. But I suspect I'm being a wuss and I'll be completely fine. Might have to treat myself afterwards though.

In better news, I'm going to be an Auntie again soon. I've bought the most adorable sleep suits for my new niece. They're so cute it makes all who see them 'awwwwwwww'. Just waiting for the little one's date to come out now (C section).

Hope all those with poorly family members are on the mend. xx
    ďIn 900 years of time and space, Iíve never met anyone who wasnít importantĒ
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 8th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 4,430 Posts
    • 42,975 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Evening all,

Not sure I ever came back after my MRI to tell you how it went! it was absolutely fine, kept my eyes closed the entire time and they gave me headphones to listen to the local radio station so i was singing along to all the songs (typically they pulled me out just as one of my favourite songs came on ) was also lovely and warm in there, actually commented on it to the 2 MRI people as the one at our other local hospital was arctic cold Still awaiting a date to see the Rheumy to get the results, but the blood tests I had earlier showed a low vitamin D so im now on tablets. Supposed to take 4 a day but they gave me such bad migraines I am only taking 1 a day (which just gives a dull headache) and will talk to my GP when I see him after the easter hols about it. I was told to take Magnesium as well by a friend but would prefer to talk to the GP first just incase.

Oh Clumsy, that MRI sounds a bit intense! hopefully it wont be too bad, Google is notorious for causing panic, I don't think there is a symptom i've googled that hasn't said 'well it could be x y z or cancer!' so try not to think about it till the day and talk to the MRI people when you get there, from my own MRI experience they will reassure you Congrats on being an Auntie again
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) 0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25 Wins of 2018 £59
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 9th Apr 18, 9:56 AM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 16,307 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Iím another one whoíd like to lose a bit of weight. I only really need to shift half a stone but I keep putting it off - as long as I can still squeeze into my clothes I donít seem to have the willpower to do anything. Iím hoping that once the better weather gets here itíll inspire me.

Just back from a lovely girlie weekend with my two DDs and my sis doing the two Emmerdale tours (village and studios). Iím not a soap fan and havenít watched Emmerdale since it was all filmed in the farm kitchen but i really enjoyed the tours. The village is purpose built on a big country estate and is idyllic (as long as you ignore all the plane crashes, kidnaps and other dastardly deeds that happen there) and the studio tour was really interesting even to a non soapie like me. Sis and DD2 are major Emmerdale fans so weíre beside themselves with excitement. DD2 even coped with having her illusions shattered about upstairs filming not actually being done upstairs.

VULPIX hope mil is doing ok and things generally are getting less stressful.

JAKESMUM glad the MRI was ok and CLUMSY hope yours is nowhere near as bad as you think. Sometimes a little knowledge really is a dangerous thing and Google certainly doesnít help. I tend not to look things up until afterwards because Iím def a wuss.

FREE hope the lamb was as delicious as it sounded and that everything is fine with you and yours.

GYD the rats nest sounds horrendous, good job you werenít tackling the job yourselves. I think your Christmas this year will be amazing, content in your lovely home and youíll be able to look back and be really proud of where youíve got to.

Hope everyone is ok and keeping everything crossed for some lovely sunshine very soon.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 9th Apr 18, 10:44 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 16,125 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hiya,soooooo nice to see people posting on the forum. I really miss the camaraderie when its very quiet.

GYD,I am so glad that your move has turned out to be so positive.At last you can take your time to relax and tweak the house and garden into your dream home.It must feel great to think that you are almost there with it all.

Clumsy.I am another who avoids Dr google.Years ago when I was first married someone gave us a massive medical dictionary. I was pregnant and had pre eclampsia. I looked it up,it said high blood pressure,fits,death! I walked straight outside and chucked it in the bin...and i didnt die haha. Seriously though good luck with your scan,we will all be rooting for you. lovely to hear you will be an Auntie again soon.

Great result whilst having your scan jakes Mum,it sounds like they are on the way to sorting you ,one way or another.Do come back and let us know how you are.

Peppa,hope the weather was ok for you up North on your trip.We have an Emmerdale signed cricket bat in our kitchen at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's been there a week ,I just don't know what to do with it. It has a beautiful stand and everything. Mr V has been into his old work to collect stuff he forgot and one of the things is the cricket bat. perhaps I will suggest he gives it to the local hospice fundraisers to auction or something.I havent watched Emmerdale since Annie Sugden used to stand at the table and cut bread.Some of the cast live local and the cricket bat was from a charity match of Emmerdale v's Mr V's work. No clue as to why it belongs to Mr V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I am going into my old work as a volunteer,just to do crafts and story time.Will be interesting to see if i still have the magic lol.

Diet is going well.Even with a 70th Birthday party.The trick is to send someone else to the buffet for me.They just bring what I asked for!

MIL just the same.We would like to go away on holiday but had better not at the moment as she is quite frail and poorly. She will accept no help though.

Isn't it nice to have some better weather. sunshine makes such a difference.

Love to all Vx
    • By 04624181 9th Apr 18, 11:22 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 6,369 Thanks
    Good Morning All,

Hope you all had a lovely Easter. The sun is shining today and we have even got the back door open. Spring looks like it has definately sprung today. Im going to hang some washing out. Got my MRI soon and I cannot wait for the results, been off nearly 5 months now and I am missing the kids.
    Nothing Christmassy done here, house is still up for sale. We are just so busy with life at the moment that time is flying by. Got DDs birthday next month so im trying to organise her sleepover. Just ordered us all new beds as the kids have had theirs a while and mine and hubbys is just not supportive enough for my back. Hubby is away next week so he will put the beds up next saturday when he gets home. Excited!
    Big hugs to everybody xxx
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 9th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 3,721 Posts
    • 16,306 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Afternoon all, hope all going well and those who are having hospital/doctor appointments are coming through things ok.

Nothing much happening Christmas wise, tried to place an order with Studio, computer says no. Phoned them up, to be told my account is on stop! Asked why and was told that as there had been a problem with an order in November, they put my account on stop. The problem was their system is so carp, that an order went through even though the system told me hadn't, so I re-placed the order, but for both to go through and they decided the solution was to put my account on stop but send & charge for both Still not been taken off stop, so I think they have lost me as a customer.

Went to Krakow for long week-end, it was cold! Highs of -6 but then factor in wind chill -22 End of each day was going down to the pool, followed by sauna, bliss. Was good weekend though

Getting nowhere on weight loss, have completely plateaued, can't even flaming gain While I am maintaining is good, I had hoped that going away I would gain and kickstart my metabolism, no, nada, nowt, zilch movement. I have been the same weight for 2 months now, would be great if I was at target, but more to go
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • tin can
    • By tin can 10th Apr 18, 12:24 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    tin can
    missing in action
    hi all not be on for a long time,because I was locked out of my a count could get back in hope your one well or getting along with yours lives best wishes to everyone tin can
    family mean more to me than money it's call a life
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 10th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 13,152 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Finally got the greenhouses cleaned, tidied and fumed, ready for seedlings to be moved in. amazing how much space they take up in the house. Raining today so will maybe do some house stuff. (or not) Lady l helped with her PIP forms rang to say she'd had a letter telling her they had adjourned her appeal, as the tribunal asked for more info from her doctor. That is good news, as the GP is disgusted with the way she has been treated, and his previous letter ignored by DWP. l crocheted myself a pair of little slippers at the weekend, fave cous promptly snaffled them and asked me to do another 3 pairs for her to give as presents. Does that count as Christmassy?.
    DGS, DD and co. had a great holiday, despite the ground being a bog, and want to go again next year.
    I have decided to replace the leaky conservatory roof with a proper tiled one, so that is this years major project and expense, all else will have to be put on hold. But l am sick of having to put buckets out to catch the water when it rains. Nev-the-shred knows a man who can, took me to see one he had done, it looks good. Dear me, it is nearly half past 9 and l am still in bed, best get up and decide on how to best use today.
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 10th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 5,725 Posts
    • 16,509 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Sorry been AWOL again dealing with everything relating to DDs accident has been a nightmare , the insurance is settling everything in the next few days so hopefully we can start to move forward sooner rather than later .

We are going to visit my sister in Scotland in a couple of weeks to meet my beautiful new great neice , Has anyone been to the Kelpies ? we have one day of the trip with nothing planned so fancy seeing them .

Christmas wise only buying for DDs lucky dip advent at the moment .
    Karma bus the most satisfying ride in town
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 11th Apr 18, 9:35 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 13,152 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    glad things are progressing with regard to DD's accident, and how lovely to be going to see your new DGN . l have never seen the kelpies so am of no use to you there. ln fact, when l first read your question l thought it was a geographical area (like the New Forest, or the Pharoes) shows how dim my bulb is!!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 11th Apr 18, 10:11 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 16,125 Thanks
    vulpix
    We went to see the Kelpies last year.I enjoyed it.We were also lucky that it was a nice day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

453Posts Today

7,202Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin