Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,224Posts
    • 13,146Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 17 at 7:08 PM
    !!!8216;Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    At the Christmas party hop
    Mistletoe hung where you can see
    Every couple tries to stop

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    Let the Christmas spirit ring
    Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
    And we'll do some caroling!!!8217;

Hello and welcome to the 7th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It!!!8217;s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads !!!8211; the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2018!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    jakes-mum 19th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 31-12-2017 at 2:55 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £955 (as at Apr'18)
Page 13
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 27th Feb 18, 9:54 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 8,305 Thanks
    newthrift
    I've found you all I'm subscribed and at some point really need to get my act together and find my inner as I'm all over the place at the mo. Attest back to work inn 3weeks, but just two days. Little one is almost 8months old now

I hope everyone is ok and had a lovely Christmas. Sit tight for this beast from the east...if it actually comes as they say.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    Baby Boy Newthrift arrived July 2017
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 28th Feb 18, 8:23 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 16,012 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome home JJ and NEWTHRIFT, lovely to see you both back.

Just a quick post. DH is still in hospital and we're due to find out today if he needs another surgery so I'm still reading but not posting much. Nothing festive going on but I'm keeping up to date with birthdays. I'm usually really well prepared for the very many birthdays we buy for but the last couple of years I've been a bit rubbish so this year I'm trying to get back to how l used to be.

We've had very little snow until now, just flurries with sunshine in between, but it's snowed quite a bit overnight. I think we're forecast for the worst snow on Friday. It's cold though, it was -6 driving home from the hospital yesterday. Hope everyone is able to keep safe and warm.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 28th Feb 18, 8:06 PM
    • 7,039 Posts
    • 49,315 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Sorry I've been AWOL again, RL been busy but I have been lurking,

Murie belated happy birthday. Glad you managed to enjoy the day even if you were below par. The afternoon tea sounds amazing and something to look forward to.

Jakes-mum sounds like a double edged sword with what seems to be a proper diagnosis at last, how awful to suffer for so long. At least you know what you're dealing with now.

Peppa sending get well wishes to your OH. I was reading your post thinking 'that sounds like the weather here'...then I realised you're only in the next county to me

GTQ funerals are strange things aren't they, obviously they are sad but there generally seems to be something bittersweet about most I've been to in a way too. Glad it went as well as it could even if the family couldn't never there.

No a whole lot of xmassy stuff going on here (besides the odd snow flurry of course) I ended up taking those hats back today and got a merchandise card for them. I didn't really want the hassle of trying to sell them in fleabay and figured it was best to just return them if I wasn't 100% sure about them. I think my DM is actually going to buy the card off me. Lesson learned there, don't try and be over smart.

Big get well wishes to all those feeling poorly or with 'stuff' going on that is stressful xx
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• xironsongx
    • By xironsongx 1st Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    xironsongx
    I'm waiting for my next payday (wednesday) to deposit another £31

I can't remember updating my total but I have £61 In my Christmas fund.

This year everyone is only getting 2-4 presents each or a present as a couple as I have my wedding to save for, my emergency fund and I do want to start saving for having some fun later in the year
    Engaged 01-09-17 Wedding £519.78 (BA) £80.22 (Sp) / £5,600 £5,000 left to save
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 1st Mar 18, 11:47 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 16,012 Thanks
    Peppapig
    CHRISSY what a horrible experience for DD and for you too. Glad she's safely home. You're right of course, the spirit of Christmas really isn't about how much you spend and events like those with your DD and your poor aunt really show what's important.

I'm doing well with my envelopes instead of trying to keep track of everything in the bank and seem to be spending a lot less. I'm also spending a lot less time updating my banking spreadsheets so win win. Of course it's only month two but I'm determined to keep it going.

Feeling really bad that I wasn't able to get to the hospital today to see DH because of the snow. This is the first time that I've ever not gone to see him when he's been in hospital. I know he'd prefer me to stay safe but I still don't feel right about it.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 2nd Mar 18, 3:16 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 35,600 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, I hope everyone is ok and coping with the snow, we haven't had too much about 3 inches but it is still causing chaos round here. DD has just been sent home from work early so she is chuffed to have Friday afternoon off, shes currently snuggled up watching Walking Dead. DS has been working from home today and Wednesday and yesterday he had as leave. The dog (husky) has been going in and out the dog flap around a 100 times an hour I now have my Christmas money put away so I don't have to worry nearer the time and whatever I have left over my budget each month shall be added to it. DD2 is still suffering with a bad back and little Thumper was sent home from nursery yesterday with a temperature and very pale, he also said his leg was hurting

JAKESMUM I also have Fibromyalgia, so you have my sympathy. I hope your sister will be ok. Glad you got the forms filled in and I hope your face to face interviews go ok. I always dreamed of touring Europe in a motorhome when I was younger

JJ lovely to see you here, glad everything is going well for you

TREASUREQUEEN what are druzy crystals I haven't heard of them?

NIC how bad have you had the snow?

LMG1305 Isnt the Anne Frank house thought provoking, we all felt very solemn?? when we came out of there

NEWTHRIFT nice to see you here, I love the gorgeous photos of your lil man on IG

PEPPAPIG oh please don't berate yourself for not visiting DH, you would be no good to him if something happened to you, there are still stupid ***** driving like lunatics round here. Did you find out if he needs more surgery? Keep your chin up my lovely

KERRI glad you got the hats sorted

CHRISSY oh you have had a rough start to the new year, poor DD it must have been very frightening for her, and very worrying for you not being with her. I cant believe the carer was so nasty. So sorry about your aunt it must have been such a shock to you all

XIRONSONGX yeah we all get to that point of budgeting for everyone when we need to save for an event

CURRENTLY READING AFTERNOON TEA AT THE SUNFLOWER CAFE - MILLY JOHNSON
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2018 £10
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2018 - £500.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 3rd Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 27,263 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Hi everyone hope everyone is doing ok in this cold weather and no one has been too snowed in. We have avoided most of it so far thankfully and think it is meant to get warmer from tomorrow.
    • By 04624181 6th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 6,161 Thanks
    Hi all,

Sorry I have been MIA

Peppa- I hope Mr Peppa is recovering well. Thinking of you and your family and sending lots of hugs xx
    Free- I feel for DD, how is she doing? Hope Thumper is feeling better. My back is still sore, got an appt at a private hospital next week and it cannot come too soon. The pain in my foot is bad, I cannot weight bear now and I am a rubbish patient.
    Newthrift- Welcome back
    Murie- Hope you had a fantastic holiday and are ok xx
    Vulpix- Hope you are ok xx
    Stokiebecks- We are culling the gift list this year too, Concentrating on being presence rather than presents .
    Big hugs to everyone, hope you are all ok xx
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 7th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 2,744 Posts
    • 17,081 Thanks
    nic2075
    Peppapig- hope your husband is on the mend soon X

Nice to see you newthrift x

Chrissy- your poor dd, sounds like she had a tough time, hope she still got to enjoy some of it first. Sorry to hear about your aunt. I agree that these moments really puts things into perspective. X

Free- I had a ton of snow :-( it's been a nightmare, we had 3 snow days. But I don't get paid for 2 of them. Only the one on Thursday during the red alert. The kids enjoyed a couple of days, but even they were fed up with the snow. It felt like -12 outside, so we could only go sledging for a short while. It's all gone now.

Not been up to much because of the snow. We had cabin fever after 5 days of being stuck in or bad roads. Can't wait for spring to happen properly. Just dying to get back out the back door and get some sun on my face.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 7th Mar 18, 12:19 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 16,012 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Apologies in advance to those that still have bad weather but WE'VE GOT SUNSHINE! It may not last but I don't care, it's here for now and it's fabulous. I didn't realise how much the weather got me down until the sun came out. Roll on proper Spring, I can't wait.

Thank you all for your good wishes. DH is still in hospital (3 weeks today) and we still don't know if he needs another surgery. He's still on clear fluids only so is being 'fed' through a PICC line - he hasn't actually eaten anything other than jelly since before he went in. Fingers crossed for some good news soon. When he went in on Valentine's Day neither of us ever thought he'd still be there on mothers' day.

Nothing festive going on but I'm keeping up with the many birthdays and I've got my mum's Mother's Day pressie this morning so that's done too. We're all out for lunch on Sunday so that'll be lovely and I can go in and see DH afterwards.

Hope everyone is keeping well and just too busy to post.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 7th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 35,600 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening everyone, I really must get on here and online more often. I have really fallen behind on my surveys too since Christmas, the only thing I do is an online shop once a week, need to sort myself out. Hope everyone is well!

STOKIEBECKS glad you didn't get too much snow

04624181 DD2 is doing well with her back today she exercised for the first time in a couple of weeks, she really hasn't had too much trouble since they burnt the nerve endings, so why it went just like that we don't know, but she went to the chiropractor a couple of times and its gradually got better and better, sorry to hear you are still in so much pain, I hope the hospital appt can give you some positive news. Thankyou Thumper is much better now bless him

NIC that is a bit harsh not being paid for the snow days, our schools had 2 snow days but I don't think it was really needed tbh

PEPPAPIG oh my lovely that isn't good news about DH, how are you coping with all the visiting and being on your own? Familywise we have a busy week next week, Mothers Day, DD1 birthday and DD2 OH birthday.
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 7th Mar 18, 6:16 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Hope everyone is ok, welcome back newthrift.

I was gifted some wishing well Christmas cards from a friend who used to work in a card shop that was shut down. Iíve got my brothers, two aunt and uncle cards, and a few general cards all for free.

Free, Druzy agate and quartz pendants, I got them online they are backed in plated in gold and silver plating. But I didnít want to make them Into jewellery so Iíve made them into tree decorations.
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    £2 saver club
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 7th Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 13,146 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Nic That's very harsh not being paid for the 'snow days'.

At my local authority, all buildings were closed for Thursday/Friday and it was declared on the website that staff would be given paid leave for this time if you were scheduled to work. Normal policy is that you are meant to attend your nearest local building but due to the terrible weather conditions all the office buildings were closed.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £955 (as at Apr'18)
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 7th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,602 Posts
    • 35,600 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Hope everyone is ok, welcome back newthrift.

I was gifted some wishing well Christmas cards from a friend who used to work in a card shop that was shut down. Iíve got my brothers, two aunt and uncle cards, and a few general cards all for free.

Free, Druzy agate and quartz pendants, I got them online they are backed in plated in gold and silver plating. But I didnít want to make them Into jewellery so Iíve made them into tree decorations.
    Originally posted by Treasurequeen
    Oh wow I have just had a look as I love crystals, they will look fab and sparkly on your Christmas tree
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 8th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Oh wow I have just had a look as I love crystals, they will look fab and sparkly on your Christmas tree
    Originally posted by freespirit66
    Free I love crystals too they are all around my flat. I agree they will look fab if I can work out how to upload photos I will try to put it up when I put them on my tree at Christmas.
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    £2 saver club
    • By 04624181 13th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 6,161 Thanks
    Wow it is very quiet on here, I hope everybody is ok xx
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    • 7,039 Posts
    • 49,315 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Wow it is very quiet on here, I hope everybody is ok xx
    Originally posted by 04624181
    All ok here - but rather busy in RL atm and didn't want to pop on without a decent message to folks. x... which I now haven't done
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 13th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 16,012 Thanks
    Peppapig
    I was thinking the same thing 0462, I donít think weíve ever been so quiet. I keep popping on to read but I havenít actually got much to say.

DH is still in hospital. We thought he was coming out at the weekend but he had a relapse on Saturday night so weíre in much the same position now as were a couple of weeks ago.

Not doing anything Christmassy but getting the urge to plant up some tubs which is a good sign. Iíve also got to rethink my bird feeding because they donít seem to like my feeders or where Iíve put them so itís going to be a bit trial and error. I bought premium bird seed from QVC so the little blighters are going to eat it if it kills me
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 14th Mar 18, 5:03 PM
    • 4,407 Posts
    • 42,777 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Afternoon my christmassy friends

I haven't been on in a while as RL just keeps getting in the way!

Peppa, I hope your DH starts to get better soon

Well DH and I have both had our face to face for PIP reviews, really really hate them as the questions are just designed to get answers to not get you any award. The forms ask about mobility without pain or suffering, the F2F its just 'how far can you walk'. thankfully i've been here before so I know to word my answers to include how it affects me but new to claiming people wouldn't know that ESA forms have also finally been returned so now its just waiting for everyone to write back and tell us the outcomes not sure what is worse, going through the assessments or waiting for their response

Nothing christmassy still, i've very much lost my christmas mojo at the minute, I have put some money in the christmas envelope though from a couple of fleabay sales so I suppose thats something

Also got my full body MRI scan appointment for a week and a halfs time! Caccing myself ever so slightly!

Stay warm everyone, it is better than the snow out there but its still a bit chilly round here with the wind
    Last edited by jakes-mum; 14-03-2018 at 5:06 PM.
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) 0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25 Wins of 2018 £59
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 14th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 847 Posts
    • 15,695 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hiya, I think RL is getting in the way fora lot of us at the moment.I have had one thing after another since February and things have just started ( I hope)to calm down.

Peppa I do hope Mr P is on the mend.It's difficult for everyone to be in hospital so long.

My kids all seem to be on an even keel at the moment. My Mum has had a hospital appointment and found out the cause of her falls.She was over prescribed with blood pressure pills.So her BP was often in her boots causing her to black out. Fingers crossed it will be improved now.

Nothing whatsoever Christmassy to report. I had a pants birthday and a pretty grim Mothers day because I fell out with Mr V. He has redeemed himself somewhat now. On the bright side i am off out tomorrow with some friends for a birthday afternoon tea.

So to compensate for a miserable birthday I will aim to make Easter special. Sadly the weather forecast isnt great.

It's funny how so many of us on this thread have said we are cutting back on Christmas excess. Something I am doing all year now too.I have got rid of so much stuff from the house.I am in danger of being minimalist.

Vx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin