Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 24th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    • 22,752Posts
    • 57,095Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    When MSErs get married ...
    • 24th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    When MSErs get married ... 24th Dec 17 at 1:08 PM
    ... they do so very frugally!

Yes, Marleyboy and I will finally be tying the knot in 2018, only eight years after moving in together, we wanted to be certain

So how frugally can we do this?

It'll be a weekday. In a registry office. With four guests. And lunch afterwards. The dearest things will probably be the outfits, Marley says I can't get married in a Primark t-shirt.

This thread is for me to keep a diary of how things are going
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
Page 2
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 13th Jan 18, 10:22 PM
    • 36,748 Posts
    • 473,032 Thanks
    pigpen
    Nice thought, but it's a friend doing the flowers and she doesn't do funerals. We'll go minimalist.
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    would you consider foam flowers over fresh? They are cheaper and look beautiful.. my friend does fresh or foam and they are very pretty.. and don't wilt as the day goes on.

Unless she is doing a gift
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    15/05/2018 £53528.71 (2.41% int.)
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 14th Jan 18, 8:11 AM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    ani*fan
    The last time I was at a registry office wedding, not so long ago, flowers were provided. You can't take them with you but who cares? They were lovely and only needed to decorate the venue for the 20 minutes or less it takes for you to get married. When I got married in October the venue provided a giant bouquet for the ceremony table and another long one for the top table at the meal. Venue was free, the only flowers we bought were buttonholes and corsages. And it was all fine.

I love that you're not telling any of your vendors it's a wedding. Absolutely the right move.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 14th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Tell you what I have just discovered.. if your parents are separated and your mother remarried you can have your stepdads name on your marriage certficate instead of your biological dads... I thought that was an interesting fact..
    Originally posted by pigpen
    Really? I've put my bio dad's name and occupation before - it would be really meaningful and make him really happy if I could put my stepdad's name instead, as he's been my dad since I was 5 years old. I'll make a point of asking this at the register office.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

• Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 14th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Just to clarify on the flowers - I'm only talking about 5 buttonholes and a bouquet, nothing more than that
    Mrs Marleyboy

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 14th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 36,748 Posts
    • 473,032 Thanks
    pigpen
    Really? I've put my bio dad's name and occupation before - it would be really meaningful and make him really happy if I could put my stepdad's name instead, as he's been my dad since I was 5 years old. I'll make a point of asking this at the register office.
    I cried when I found that out.. my stepdad would be really touched too.. it will be a national thing.because all the systems are linked.. if you marry out of your home town you still give notice there and the info is input at home and accessed in the other place. I had my bio dads name when I got married too I didn't know it was possible to have your stepdad. I can't stand my dad and havent spoken to him for years and when I mentioned that she said 'you don't have to have him you can have your stepdad if your mum is married to him'.. you can change your mind up until them writing your marriage certificate too, you can say your bio dads name when giving notice and then put your stepdad when it comes to the ceremony.. you aren't set in stone until it is on your marriage certificate.

I'd have a corsage instead of a bouquet .. to keep my hands free.. can't be faffed carrying tat about lol.

I get into conversations with a lot of random people!! Supermarket chats FTW.
    Last edited by pigpen; 14-01-2018 at 3:55 PM.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 14th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Found it!

However, since the coming into force of the Registration of Marriages (Amendment) Regulations 2007, it has been permissible to record a step-fatherís name, instead of the natural fatherís name, provided that the step-father is, or has been, married to the mother. Where a step-fatherís name is entered, the word ďstep-fatherĒ should be entered after the surname.
    Mrs Marleyboy

• Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 14th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    A dress has been ordered.
    (Well in fact, two, as I'm not sure of colour!)
    Mrs Marleyboy

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 14th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 36,748 Posts
    • 473,032 Thanks
    pigpen
    That's the bit.. it made me cry.. all those dads who are not blood relatives but have been there for all the rubbish bits get to be acknowledged.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 17th Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    A dress has been ordered.
    (Well in fact, two, as I'm not sure of colour!)
    Dress attempt #1 unsuccessful. Carefully read reviews re sizing. carefully measured self, ordered appropriately. Waaaaaayyyyy too big.

Dress attempt #2 now being made - in two different smaller sizes, one will fit!
    Mrs Marleyboy

• Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 18th Jan 18, 8:29 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 9,090 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Dress attempt #1 unsuccessful. Carefully read reviews re sizing. carefully measured self, ordered appropriately. Waaaaaayyyyy too big.
    You're in the lucky position of having to eat lots more cakes to get into your wedding dress
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 19th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    • 6,255 Posts
    • 6,712 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Ring potentially selected, just want to see it for real (not just a tinternet photo).
    If you are being really frugal, there's no requirement for a ring(s) for the ceremony (not having them also cuts down the length of the ceremony)
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 21st Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Budget blown slightly - I'm keeping both dresses One is a size smaller than the other, but a nicer colour, so ideally I want to diet/slim into that one; the second in the larger size will be kept in reserve.

Total spend so far: £114.
    Mrs Marleyboy

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 21st Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 36,748 Posts
    • 473,032 Thanks
    pigpen
    Have you considered what music you might like to have played? They asked for 3 or 4 songs .. one for entering, one for exiting and potentially 2 for register signing. .. it depends on which service you have, they offer three here. Here they have an archaic sound system so it has to be on proper CD's rather than MP3 on your ipod... best to check before hand... though I'm sure it will be more modern there.

Tesco clubcard points can be exchange for goldsmiths vouchers (if you have a shop closeby).. £5 in vouchers gets you a £15 goldsmith voucher you can't use the vouchers online but if you just wanted a really cheap wedding ring this might be a good deal.
    Last edited by pigpen; 21-01-2018 at 7:03 PM.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 22nd Jan 18, 7:01 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Operation "slim to fit the nicer dress" is underway ... not helped by Marley making a huge dish of rice pudding

I have very few Tesco points to exchange these days but I will check Goldsmiths to see whether they have anything suitable (aka suitably priced), thanks.

Budget is going to have to increase slightly as Marley does not fit either part of his existing suit, so it's time to go shopping.

Have booked the "licence" part of the Register Office visits for a couple of weeks' time. Haven't thought at all about music, that's something we are likely to decide in the last couple of weeks.
    Mrs Marleyboy

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 22nd Jan 18, 8:04 PM
    • 36,748 Posts
    • 473,032 Thanks
    pigpen
    I have very few Tesco points to exchange these days but I will check Goldsmiths to see whether they have anything suitable (aka suitably priced), thanks.
    code 'EXTRA10' on sale stuff gets 10% off and there is 10% cashback through quidco too... but you cant use clubcard vouchers online. I'm such a sorry state I do like to check the pretties
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 22nd Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 16,644 Posts
    • 48,585 Thanks
    freyasmum
    I have nothing to add but my congratulations!
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 23rd Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    • 3,267 Posts
    • 8,934 Thanks
    nimbo
    Iím a bit jealous. Your budget is going to be way smaller then mine.

My partner will not let me get married with just two witnesses. He may allow it to be just a few at the register office and then a big party though. Iím a bit hopeful.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 23rd Jan 18, 6:45 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    My partner will not let me get married with just two witnesses. He may allow it to be just a few at the register office and then a big party though. I!!!8217;m a bit hopeful.
    Originally posted by nimbo
    Ah, you need to convince him out of the big party I guess it depends how big, and how close, a family you have. In our case we only have small numbers of close family; and our friends will be attending stag/hen do's (at their own expense) so there's no need for a second party.
    Mrs Marleyboy

• Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 1st Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Paperwork side of it done! That was an expensive half hour

Total spend so far: £184.
    Mrs Marleyboy

• Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 17th Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    No update as have been poorly. On the bright side, I've spent no wedding money either
    Mrs Marleyboy

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,909Posts Today

6,740Users online

Martin's Twitter