Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 12,454Posts
    • 40,158Thanks
    Nelski
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018 24th Dec 17 at 10:26 AM
    Some of you may remember this from a few years ago

Cook Something Different

Anyway does anyone fancy joining me for a 2018 version.

Now despite all my good intentions I have added around another 10 cook books to my already huge collection. On top of this I am subscribed to both good food mag and delicious mag. I would love to say that all these additions mean a constantly changing and varied diet...................no i like looking at the pictures then heading to the kitchen to cook a chilli or a tikka masala .

So enough is enough and there is no better time of year to start changing this habit.

For me I will choose one 'new to me' recipe every week from one of my many resources and hopefully over time expand my current menu. Any one wanna join in? no pressure just a bit of fun
Page 9
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 13th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,158 Thanks
    Nelski
    My pledge not to buy any more cook books failed today when I bought Tom Kerridge's 'Lose Weight For Good', but I will be aiming to cook from it during the next week.
    Originally posted by Florence J
    I understand its a futile task we need to attend cook books anonymous

I fancy the one too but I love my carbs a bit too much
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 3,889 Posts
    • 24,807 Thanks
    caronc
    My pledge not to buy any more cook books failed today when I bought Tom Kerridge's 'Lose Weight For Good', but I will be aiming to cook from it during the next week.
    Originally posted by Florence J
    I've just started watching this - report back would you as I'm tempted to buy the book. Thanks
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:05 PM.
    GC - Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £96/£120, Jun £206/£230
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 13th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,158 Thanks
    Nelski
    Lamb Tandoori was gorgeous 10/10 next time I may add some red food colouring so that it looks more like my fav indians version
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 3,889 Posts
    • 24,807 Thanks
    caronc
    Lousy weather here today so no excuse not to have a look through my cook books for something new to make. I decided if possible I wanted to use things I already had in so decided that Delia's "Frugal Food" and Jocasta Innes's "The Pauper's Cookbook" might be good places to start. I don't think I've actually ever cooked anything from the Delia one though have from the other. Tomorrow I'm making "braised red cabbage with frankfurters" (though I'm using bratwurst as that's what I have and I prefer them) from the Jocasta one and on Tuesday "spiced chicken and lentils" from the Delia one. (I couldn't find the Jocasta one online to share but here's a link to the Delia one https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/one-pot-recipes/spiced-chicken-with-lentils). In both cases I'll halve the recipe.
    I'll report back.
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 15th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 3,777 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    So in the end, we didn't have the black bean & peanut butter stew but we had cuban black bean stew instead - see link.

https://www.marthastewart.com/337366/cuban-black-bean-stew-with-rice

It was ok - needs more flavour tho..so am thinking coriander and smoked paprika should do the trick.

If all goes to plan ie hubby doesn't change his mind, tonight will be nigella's cheddar cheese risotto. i think we will be adding extra veg in tho.

SILx
    D17/J18 £75.27; J/F18 £64.79; F/M £124.01; M/A £40.05/£130.00
    CCC - £26.00
    Lunch2work 14/20 J18; 10/19 F18; 3/17 A18
    GNSD 18/31 J18; 15/28 F18; 7/31 M18; 7/30A18
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 15th Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,158 Thanks
    Nelski
    that looks good too Scotinlondon

Talking of black beans I have bookmarked this to cook for a friend who is veggie and gluten free and I always struggle with nice recipe for her and usually end up spending a fortune in the M+S deli. Going to give it a go first though in case its rank goodness knows were I will get millet from though I thought that was bird food not a lover of quinoa but ill use it if need be

sweet potato and black bean burger
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 15th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 3,777 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    that looks good too Scotinlondon

Talking of black beans I have bookmarked this to cook for a friend who is veggie and gluten free and I always struggle with nice recipe for her and usually end up spending a fortune in the M+S deli. Going to give it a go first though in case its rank goodness knows were I will get millet from though I thought that was bird food not a lover of quinoa but ill use it if need be

sweet potato and black bean burger
    Originally posted by Nelski
    If is it Millet flour that you are looking for - any good indian supermarket will have them. My mum makes millet flour chappati from it.

HTH

SILx
    D17/J18 £75.27; J/F18 £64.79; F/M £124.01; M/A £40.05/£130.00
    CCC - £26.00
    Lunch2work 14/20 J18; 10/19 F18; 3/17 A18
    GNSD 18/31 J18; 15/28 F18; 7/31 M18; 7/30A18
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 15th Jan 18, 3:09 PM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,158 Thanks
    Nelski
    If is it Millet flour that you are looking for - any good indian supermarket will have them. My mum makes millet flour chappati from it.

HTH

SILx
    Originally posted by ScotinLondon
    Thanks for that SIL but no its millet seeds so ill head to the local pet shop Its a US recipe so maybe they use a different term ....I had to google cilantro too.... it is coriander. You learn something new every day
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 16th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    I made the shepards pie from the lefover lamb and it was (is) amazing, loads left over for the freezer for work lunches so thats nice. I'd do it all again but only if I had guests as it's a lot of faff for just me.

Here's the link for the slow cooked lamb - https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/slowroastedshouldero_92200 I don't know how to make my links posh

I also made Joe wicks salmon with Chilli emdamame - which was lovely and great for work though I left out the walnuts. Recipe here (though not the offical one it's pretty much the same) http://www.foodandbaker.co.uk/2017/02/lean15-series-salmon-with-chilli-edamame.html
    Attempting to buy a house
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 3,889 Posts
    • 24,807 Thanks
    caronc
    I made the Jocasta Innes "Braised red cabbage and frankfurters" last night and it was really tasty. Apart from using bratwurst instead of frankfurters I followed the recipe. I usually add quite a bit of spices etc. when making red cabbage but apart from salt & pepper this didn't use any. I wondered if it might taste a bit bland but it didn't. The little brown sugar and vinegar used gave the end result a lovely sweet and sour tang, the small knob of butter added at the beginning really added to the end result. In the book it says the recipe feeds two people generously, I did make some potatoes to have with it so got three portions from it.
    Would I make again? Yes though reckon it would work really well in the slow cooker so would probably use that instead.
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 16th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    downshifted
    I!!!8217;ve not posted for a while because I got on the scales! I!!!8217;m on the 5:2 diet for a while. Today I!!!8217;ve made bean and fennel soup from the 5:2 recipe book, using butter beans I!!!8217;ve previously boiled and frozen and fennel from the allotment. It was delicious and I!!!8217;ll make it again. I!!!8217;ve got my eye on a Rosemary Conley stuffed aubergine recipe for later in the week.
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 3,889 Posts
    • 24,807 Thanks
    caronc
    ...... "spiced chicken and lentils" from the Delia one. (I couldn't find the Jocasta one online to share but here's a link to the Delia one https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/one-pot-recipes/spiced-chicken-with-lentils). In both cases I'll halve the recipe.
    I'll report back.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I made the above last night as planned. I halved the recipe using 750g chicken thighs (4 thighs). I used brown lentils. I served it with pitta and mango chutney.
    The finished dish was really tasty but I would have liked more lentils. I have three thighs LO but only just enough lentil mix for two small portions.
    The chicken was cooked before the lentils so I ended up having to remove the chicken and finishing the lentils on the hob to avoid overcooking the chicken.
    Would I make it again? Yes, though I would stick with the quantity of chicken I used but cook the full amount of the rest of the recipe. I'd also partially cook the lentils on the hob before adding the chicken back in and baking it.
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 17th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,158 Thanks
    Nelski
    Thanks for that caronc its really useful to get feedback for oneski portions.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 20,187 Posts
    • 54,174 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Thanks for that caronc its really useful to get feedback for oneski portions.
    It's also nice to get feedback on how the dish turned out and potential changes.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 17th Jan 18, 8:06 PM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,158 Thanks
    Nelski
    It's also nice to get feedback on how the dish turned out and potential changes.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Agree Pollycat nice to see you btw I read earlier on another thread that you were not well so hope you feel better soon.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 19th Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,158 Thanks
    Nelski
    Making this tonight which is very new to me sweet potato and black bean burgers

Im hoping they will be very good as it took 3 supermarkets to find black beans clearly not a popular ingredient round here

After this its head back in the cook books for more inspiration
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th Jan 18, 11:27 AM
    • 3,889 Posts
    • 24,807 Thanks
    caronc
    Oh they sound good Nelski
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 19th Jan 18, 7:30 PM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,158 Thanks
    Nelski
    Making this tonight which is very new to me sweet potato and black bean burgers
    Well just finished dinner and I can easily give them 9/10

I am quite a hardened carnivore but I would choose these for a change from beef burgers any day.
    I thought they may be a bit dry when they came out the oven but not at all

Next time, and there will be one, I will follow the recommendation to make 8 ....I made 6 and they are very filling.

I used quinoa not millet but followed everything else to the letter. The one point loss was the fact it was in cups and oz not grammes so had to work all that out first but its done for next time and the fact I have 5 to go in a packed freezer but thats the norm for me.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th Jan 18, 8:03 PM
    • 3,889 Posts
    • 24,807 Thanks
    caronc
    Well just finished dinner and I can easily give them 9/10

I am quite a hardened carnivore but I would choose these for a change from beef burgers any day.
    I thought they may be a bit dry when they came out the oven but not at all

Next time, and there will be one, I will follow the recommendation to make 8 ....I made 6 and they are very filling.

I used quinoa not millet but followed everything else to the letter. The one point loss was the fact it was in cups and oz not grammes so had to work all that out first but its done for next time and the fact I have 5 to go in a packed freezer but thats the norm for me.
    Thanks for the feedback - despite being another carnivore I do like a good veggie burger and my nephew's gf is pesce so I'm always looking for ideas for gatherings that don't end up being a piece of salmon or something with mushrooms . I suspect they might also work well turned into balls with toms sauce/pasta or in a sub sandwich. Might also get me over my quinoa aversion
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 19th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 8,548 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    Had a couple of new meals recently, chicken with tomato and mascarpone sauce and cheese melted. Today had a sw cauliflower, gammon and macaroni cheese, was ok but wouldn't rush to make it again.
    I'm planning on making a sw chicken tikka masala tomorrow, so hopefully that turns out well.
    SPC #148 2014-£25 2015-£5.50 My stars from Sue-UU

Grocery Challenge 2018
    Jan£400.33/£400 Feb£383.02/£400 Mar£392.60/£370 Apr£?/£400 May£378.34/£400 Jun £274.19/£400
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,047Posts Today

8,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin