Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 12,458Posts
    • 40,207Thanks
    Nelski
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018 24th Dec 17 at 10:26 AM
    Some of you may remember this from a few years ago

Cook Something Different

Anyway does anyone fancy joining me for a 2018 version.

Now despite all my good intentions I have added around another 10 cook books to my already huge collection. On top of this I am subscribed to both good food mag and delicious mag. I would love to say that all these additions mean a constantly changing and varied diet...................no i like looking at the pictures then heading to the kitchen to cook a chilli or a tikka masala .

So enough is enough and there is no better time of year to start changing this habit.

For me I will choose one 'new to me' recipe every week from one of my many resources and hopefully over time expand my current menu. Any one wanna join in? no pressure just a bit of fun
Page 6
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 5th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,163 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Phew!
    I'm glad you liked it.

If you tweaked it at all, please let us know so we can try your version.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    No, we followed your instructions, to the letter
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Jan 18, 3:47 PM
    • 20,191 Posts
    • 54,194 Thanks
    Pollycat
    What sort of yogurt do you use?
    Originally posted by Mrs Cheshire
    Talking about yogurt, we can never recreate the fab taste of tzatziki with the yogurt we buy here. Probably also down to the quality of the cucumbers too.
    Or - joy of joys - a shared dish of Greek yoghurt with local Greek honey and nuts to round off a wonderful meal in a taverna.

I was chatting to the wife of the owner of our favourite taverna (who also does the cooking) on Crete about it and she was looking at a Lidl (I think) leaflet.
    She said you need high fat content. I think the one she buys is something like 10% fat.

I think the 'full fat' FAGE I buy is 4% fat.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 24,844 Thanks
    caronc
    Talking about yogurt, we can never recreate the fab taste of tzatziki with the yogurt we buy here. Probably also down to the quality of the cucumbers too.
    Or - joy of joys - a shared dish of Greek yoghurt with local Greek honey and nuts to round off a wonderful meal in a taverna.

I was chatting to the wife of the owner of our favourite taverna (who also does the cooking) on Crete about it and she was looking at a Lidl (I think) leaflet.
    She said you need high fat content. I think the one she buys is something like 10% fat.

I think the 'full fat' FAGE I buy is 4% fat.
    Pollycat, if it is any help my son's gf is Greek and makes fab tzatziki using SM own brand full fat greek yoghurt (The Tesco own brand on is 9.5% fat. She drains it through a j cloth over a sieve for an hour or so (and does the same with the grated cucumber) before making it. It is certainly scrummy
    GC - Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 96/120, Jun 206/230
    GC YTD 2018- 605/940
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 24,844 Thanks
    caronc
    I have decided I'm going to make this when I get my shopping next week - https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/01/05/aubergine-and-kale-satay-30p-vg-v-df-gf/
    I have everything bar the aubergine and kale so not too challenging ingredients wise.
    GC YTD 2018- 605/940
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    • 4,593 Posts
    • 41,427 Thanks
    Floss
    Pollycat I've made amazing tzatziki using Lancashire Farms greek yogurt with h/g cucumber (30mins off the plant) and a little h/g mint from the back yard... it's worth looking for a tub of high-fat greek yogurt if you are ever offered h/g cucumber. In fact, if you live near me, you can have one or two of mine as we always grow more than we can eat!
    • debtfreeforlife
    • By debtfreeforlife 5th Jan 18, 10:32 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    debtfreeforlife
    First new recipe tried! A pasta bake with tomato sauce and peas - not terribly exciting but as I'm a veggie who can't eat much hot cheese and my friend who I was cooking for doesn't like most vegetables (no courgettes, aubergines, pulses, squashes, spinach or peas as I discovered today), my choices were limited. I did do something with peas in today which she picked out - it just feels completely wrong to me to cook just pasta in a tomato sauce with no other vegetables in. I also bought some vegan cheese which melts well, so I'm going to try it again at some point (with more veggies) and try the vegan cheese. Will definitely do it again for this group of friends but remember to overcook the onions and blend them into the sauce (friend doesn't like them crunchy and I HATE soft onions) and leave out peas as neither she nor her sis like them. That said this friend is terribly understanding of my pseudo-vegan ways and is always happy to try and adapt stuff for me.
    GC Feb 18: 204.97/200 | Mar 18: 207.93/200 | Apr 18 165.53/200.00
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 7th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 9,122 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    So many nice sounding recipes being tried out, I will definitely try out the HD Salmon dish and Pollycats Dal next month. At the moment I am still trying to work through what I have in the freezer and because I had some mushrooms to use up and didn't fancy a curry, stroganoff or risotto I did a search on ingredients I have in and will be making https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/fish-recipes/baked-fish-fillets-with-mushroom-stuffing I'll be using haddock as that's what I have and I'll freeze what I don't need of the duxelles and use it to make tartlets at a later date.
    Keep Moving = 532.70mls/1000mls @ week 25

W/L Challenge (24/6 - 30/9) - 0/14
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    • 20,191 Posts
    • 54,194 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Caronc & Floss:
    thanks for the yogurt tips.
    I do make a good tzatziki (according to OH) but in Greece the yogurt seems to have a tang and consistency that it doesn't have here.
    Almost a cream cheese-y taste and consistency, it's very stiff.

I think the straining idea is good.
    I do always squeeze out the cucumber after grating it but so far haven't had any offers of home-grown ones, which I think would make a big difference.

So - back to the thread:
    new recipe for me today - Nigella's pasta risotto with peas and pancetta.

It uses orzo, the tiny rice-shaped pasta.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 12,458 Posts
    • 40,207 Thanks
    Nelski
    Still on leftovers here and being a oneski will probably be a while using them up.

Trying to do different things with them where I can though rather than revert to type.

So i am into Jamies Christmas at the moment (its not all about the big day) and will be making this tonight

Jamies Turkey Sloppy Joes with slaw
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 4,593 Posts
    • 41,427 Thanks
    Floss
    Polly we use orzo quite often, it makes a nice change from pasta & rice.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Jan 18, 11:29 AM
    • 20,191 Posts
    • 54,194 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Originally posted by Floss
    I think it's great.
    Before Mr T started stocking it, we used to bring packets home from our Greek holidays.
    • Josh1994
    • By Josh1994 7th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Josh1994
    Used my Leon cookbook yesterday which was quite dusty! probably the first thing I've cooked from it in about 5 years - made Spaghetti Milanese - apparently was popular when bacon was a cheap cut of meat.
    Sauce - delicious. Spaghetti unfortunately I overcooked it and it was the consistency of tinned spaghetti

Oh well - meal planning for next week now, and hope to get a few new recipes in too.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 7th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Originally posted by Floss
    Errrrrr.... Orzo IS pasta!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 20,191 Posts
    • 54,194 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Errrrrr.... Orzo IS pasta!
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    I think I get what Floss means.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 4,593 Posts
    • 41,427 Thanks
    Floss
    Yes it us, but not pretty bow ties or long spaghetti or tagliatelle...different sizes / shapes need different recipes
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 12,458 Posts
    • 40,207 Thanks
    Nelski
    Just reporting back on the turkey sloppy joes .....A good 9/10 and would recommend if you have any turkey left. ( the scores are as a result of me currently watching Dancing on Ice )
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 7th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    downshifted
    The HB twelve days of Christmas Beef Bourguignon was a bit disappointing. The meat was tender but a bit dry, although the sauce was lovely and the recipe was too restrictive and fiddly without a good enough result to make it worthwhile, if you see what I mean
    Downshifted

September GC 251.21/250 October 248.82/250 January 159.53/200
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Jan 18, 8:44 PM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 24,844 Thanks
    caronc
    Just reporting back on the turkey sloppy joes .....A good 9/10 and would recommend if you have any turkey left. ( the scores are as a result of me currently watching Dancing on Ice )
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Good to know as yes I have LO turkey
    The HB twelve days of Christmas Beef Bourguignon was a bit disappointing. The meat was tender but a bit dry, although the sauce was lovely and the recipe was too restrictive and fiddly without a good enough result to make it worthwhile, if you see what I mean
    Originally posted by downshifted
    That's a shame, I usually find HB recipes fairly reliable but sometimes the original recipes are best left alone!
    Shopping arrived today so I now have aubergines and kale so "Aubergine & Kale Satay" is planned for tomorrow night- will report back
    GC YTD 2018- 605/940
    • riotlady
    • By riotlady 8th Jan 18, 2:01 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    riotlady
    Hi everyone Thought I'd join in as our weekly veg box is encouraging me to try and cook a lot of new things.

Made a BBC good food recipe tonight- baked potatoes with chard and beans and tahini dressing.
    Very tasty, healthy and cheap!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 20,191 Posts
    • 54,194 Thanks
    Pollycat
    new recipe for me today - Nigella's pasta risotto with peas and pancetta.

It uses orzo, the tiny rice-shaped pasta.
    ^^^^ was very nice.
    It's definitely on our list to do again.

Another new recipe for me today:
    Greek potato stew.
    I'll serve with some focaccia.
    With a nod of thanks to Mr Singleton for recommending the recipe a while ago.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,168Posts Today

8,427Users online

Martin's Twitter