Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 12,454Posts
    • 40,143Thanks
    Nelski
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018 24th Dec 17 at 10:26 AM
    Some of you may remember this from a few years ago

Cook Something Different

Anyway does anyone fancy joining me for a 2018 version.

Now despite all my good intentions I have added around another 10 cook books to my already huge collection. On top of this I am subscribed to both good food mag and delicious mag. I would love to say that all these additions mean a constantly changing and varied diet...................no i like looking at the pictures then heading to the kitchen to cook a chilli or a tikka masala .

So enough is enough and there is no better time of year to start changing this habit.

For me I will choose one 'new to me' recipe every week from one of my many resources and hopefully over time expand my current menu. Any one wanna join in? no pressure just a bit of fun
Page 5
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Jan 18, 12:05 PM
    • 20,187 Posts
    • 54,174 Thanks
    Pollycat
    OK, new recipe for me tonight:
    chorizo, sausage, cabbage and chickpea stew.

I dislike chickpeas so will substitute some sort of beans, either haricot or cannellini.
    No idea where this recipe came from but I was obviously interested enough at the time to copy it into my recipe folder. I last saved it in Word 2 years ago.

Has a carton of passata in too as well as beef stock (I'll probably use veg stock) so I might add diced potatoes to make it a one-pot meal.
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 3rd Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,163 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Thank you so much, Pollycat. We are going to make this on Friday (minus the flat breads though) and best of all, I already have all of the ingredients in stock

Really appreciate the time you've taken to post
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 20,187 Posts
    • 54,174 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Thank you so much, Pollycat. We are going to make this on Friday (minus the flat breads though) and best of all, I already have all of the ingredients in stock

Really appreciate the time you've taken to post
    Originally posted by pipkin71
    You're welcome, hope you enjoy it. The fresh coriander sprinkled on top really works.

We have it as a main with naan or I box up smaller portions to have as a side dish.
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 3rd Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    downshifted
    Funnily enough Iíve just made Jamieís flatbread recipe from his 5 ingredients book for the first time for lunch. That recipe is 4 tablespoons self raising flour, 3 of yogurt and 1 of oil. I thought they were great and they will become a staple... I will use up some of my Kefir instead of yogurt next time.

Thatís new recipe 4 so far and no disasters yet!
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 3rd Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,143 Thanks
    Nelski
    Funnily enough Iíve just made Jamieís flatbread recipe from his 5 ingredients book for the first time for lunch. That recipe is 4 tablespoons self raising flour, 3 of yogurt and 1 of oil. I thought they were great and they will become a staple... I will use up some of my Kefir instead of yogurt next time.

Originally posted by downshifted
    I use that one too and they are lovely...I make a big batch and freeze the dough works well
    • Floss
    • By Floss 3rd Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 41,262 Thanks
    Floss
    Nelski thanks for that - me & DH struggle to eat a whole batch when I make them!
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 3rd Jan 18, 8:28 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 8,547 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    Made a sw friendly Mediterranean chicken casserole tonight for tea served with rice, really enjoyed the change and my youngest son loved it too!
    SPC #148 2014-£25 2015-£5.50 My stars from Sue-UU

Grocery Challenge 2018
    Jan£400.33/£400 Feb£383.02/£400 Mar£392.60/£370 Apr£?/£400 May£378.34/£400 Jun £274.19/£400
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 3rd Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 8,547 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire

What sort of yogurt do you use?

OK, new recipe for me tonight:
    chorizo, sausage, cabbage and chickpea stew.

I dislike chickpeas so will substitute some sort of beans, either haricot or cannellini.
    No idea where this recipe came from but I was obviously interested enough at the time to copy it into my recipe folder. I last saved it in Word 2 years ago.

Has a carton of passata in too as well as beef stock (I'll probably use veg stock) so I might add diced potatoes to make it a one-pot meal.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Reading this reminded me that I was going to add Chorizo to my casserole and forgot, never mind will plan to use it for another meal!
    SPC #148 2014-£25 2015-£5.50 My stars from Sue-UU

Grocery Challenge 2018
    Jan£400.33/£400 Feb£383.02/£400 Mar£392.60/£370 Apr£?/£400 May£378.34/£400 Jun £274.19/£400
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 3rd Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    downshifted
    Mrs Cheshire I used the real Greek yogurt from Aldi. When I use my Kefir I will strain it for an hour or so to thicken it up a bit
    Downshifted

• caronc
    • By caronc 4th Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    • 3,885 Posts
    • 24,791 Thanks
    caronc
    I haven't managed to get the length of deciding where I'm going to start with this but I am really keen to take part. My offspring only left today and I still have a fair number of "bits" and a load of veg to use up so hoping not to need a shop until next week. I'm thinking that I will allow up to £5 per shop to get any new ingredients I need to try a new recipe or two. I feel that's a reasonable balance for me between using up existing stocks while ringing some changes in the food I cook. I did get two "cookbooks" for Christmas but both are more "reads" than recipes. I've not had the chance to delve into them yet!
    GC - Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £96/£120, Jun £175/£230
    GC YTD 2018- £574/£940
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 4th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,143 Thanks
    Nelski
    I haven't managed to get the length of deciding where I'm going to start with this but I am really keen to take part. My offspring only left today and I still have a fair number of "bits" and a load of veg to use up so hoping not to need a shop until next week. I'm thinking that I will allow up to £5 per shop to get any new ingredients I need to try a new recipe or two. I feel that's a reasonable balance for me between using up existing stocks while ringing some changes in the food I cook. I did get two "cookbooks" for Christmas but both are more "reads" than recipes. I've not had the chance to delve into them yet!
    Originally posted by caronc
    what did you get caronc?

I got Jamies Christmas last year but never ventured in for a look. Been looking today and now its full of coloured post it notes of things i want to try....is it just me that does this Theres a great chapter on leftovers and with a fair amount of turkey still in the freezer then I think i will have a go at one of these. Thinking about it I have an old Delia Christmas book too so I can see the festive season dragging on a few months this year
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 41,262 Thanks
    Floss
    Nope, I have 3 volumes of Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries stuffed with post-it notes
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 4th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,143 Thanks
    Nelski
    Nope, I have 3 volumes of Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries stuffed with post-it notes
    Originally posted by Floss

lol i thought it was just me ...I love a new cookbook and a new pack of post its .....ah heaven
    • caronc
    • By caronc 4th Jan 18, 9:05 PM
    • 3,885 Posts
    • 24,791 Thanks
    caronc
    what did you get caronc?

I got Jamies Christmas last year but never ventured in for a look. Been looking today and now its full of coloured post it notes of things i want to try....is it just me that does this Theres a great chapter on leftovers and with a fair amount of turkey still in the freezer then I think i will have a go at one of these. Thinking about it I have an old Delia Christmas book too so I can see the festive season dragging on a few months this year
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Nope you are not alone - I do love a "post it" note. The books I got were Nigel Slater's "Winter Chronicles" which I very much wanted as I love his writing and Samin Nosrat's "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" which I'm really looking forward to getting into . Delia's "Christmas" book is a favourite of mine - must dig it out and see if there is anything I've not made from it that appeals
    GC - Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £96/£120, Jun £175/£230
    GC YTD 2018- £574/£940
    • Bookaholic
    • By Bookaholic 4th Jan 18, 9:43 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Bookaholic
    I do the post it note thing too...sometimes different colours for me and my OH.

Today we!!!8217;ve had a delicious mixed bean and veg chilli from Joe Wicks!!!8217; new book. It was awesome (OH!!!8217;s word) and there!!!8217;s plenty left for lunch tomorrow at work! We!!!8217;ve not had a Joe Wick!!!8217;s meal we!!!8217;ve not liked yet, and there!!!8217;s always enough for the next day as well
    Money saved for Christmas 2018 £6/£500
    No more Buying Books challenge - read 2 books 2017-18
    January NSDs - 3/15
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 5th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    downshifted
    Oh I!!!8217;ll take a look at Joe Wicks Bookaholic. The chilli sounds great.

I!!!8217;ve just put the Hairy Bikers Beef Bourguignon in the oven... it!!!8217;s for when friends come tomorrow and I find all stews etc better the next day. You add the onions (shallots) and mushrooms later. I made half measures and followed the recipe to the letter but I found it difficult to stick to it exactly. It!!!8217;s very plain and I wanted to add some herbs and extra seasoning, and it was hard not to throw in some carrots and celery too! But then it wouldn!!!8217;t have been Beef Bourguignon would it?
    Downshifted

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Jan 18, 11:55 AM
    • 20,187 Posts
    • 54,174 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Oh Iíll take a look at Joe Wicks Bookaholic. The chilli sounds great.

Iíve just put the Hairy Bikers Beef Bourguignon in the oven... itís for when friends come tomorrow and I find all stews etc better the next day. You add the onions (shallots) and mushrooms later. I made half measures and followed the recipe to the letter but I found it difficult to stick to it exactly. Itís very plain and I wanted to add some herbs and extra seasoning, and it was hard not to throw in some carrots and celery too! But then it wouldnít have been Beef Bourguignon would it?
    Jamie O's recipe has carrots in.
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 5th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,163 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Pollycat, the dhal is delicious. We will definitely be making this one again. Thank you for the recipe
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 5th Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,163 Thanks
    pipkin71
    My new wok arrived this morning, so I have just ordered a Ken Hom recipe book, for a few stir fry recipes
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Jan 18, 1:32 PM
    • 20,187 Posts
    • 54,174 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Pollycat, the dhal is delicious. We will definitely be making this one again. Thank you for the recipe
    Originally posted by pipkin71
    Phew!
    I'm glad you liked it.

If you tweaked it at all, please let us know so we can try your version.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

891Posts Today

6,418Users online

Martin's Twitter