Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 12,727Posts
    • 44,366Thanks
    Nelski
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018 24th Dec 17 at 10:26 AM
    Some of you may remember this from a few years ago

Cook Something Different

Anyway does anyone fancy joining me for a 2018 version.

Now despite all my good intentions I have added around another 10 cook books to my already huge collection. On top of this I am subscribed to both good food mag and delicious mag. I would love to say that all these additions mean a constantly changing and varied diet...................no i like looking at the pictures then heading to the kitchen to cook a chilli or a tikka masala .

So enough is enough and there is no better time of year to start changing this habit.

For me I will choose one 'new to me' recipe every week from one of my many resources and hopefully over time expand my current menu. Any one wanna join in? no pressure just a bit of fun
Page 18
    • Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 5th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    thats such a hard question! What's obvious to one person isn't to another. Personally I'm a spice fiend and my go to meal is Dahl. There is so much variation and because lentils are cheap it doesn't break the bank to experiment.
    Other favourites are the vegetable tajine from the world food cafe cookbook and a nacho recipe on the good food website that uses chorizo. It has quick pickled red onion and radishes with it and when u add homemade guacamole and some sour cream it is so much more than the sum of its parts. The recipe is meant to serve 4 but me and one other friend literally can't stop eating it.
    Last one I keep coming back to is a Bon appetite recipe that's on their website that is a Classic carbonara but u add broccoli whilst the pasta cook and then serve a fried egg on top. Not healthy but delicious!
    I could literally talk about food all day and I'd find you links if I was allowed to post them.
    If you want more in this vein just say
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 7th Apr 18, 4:33 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 3,832 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    Afternoon all - haven't been on for a long while. RL getting busy and in the way.

However, during the last few weeks - the new to us recipes that we have made have been;
    MIL's ratatoullie (sp?)
    Spicy carrot & parsnip soup.

Hopefully today or tomorrow, if i get my act together will be courgette fritters plus a salsa of some sort.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the weekend.

SILx
    D17/J18 75.27; J/F18 64.79; F/M 124.01; M/A 40.05/130.00
    CCC - 26.00
    Lunch2work 14/20 J18; 10/19 F18; 3/17 A18
    GNSD 18/31 J18; 15/28 F18; 7/31 M18; 7/30A18
    • Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 8th Apr 18, 4:59 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    I just cooked a salmon pasta with a chilli and lemon kick from a girl called Jack. I changed it up slightly by adding garlic and using Creme Fraiche instead of yoghurt and I'm seriously impressed with this. It uses salmon fish paste, the stuff you use for sandwiches that is in aldi for about 25p.
    Its not the most gourmet pasta you'll ever have but you can't tell its from such humble beginnings. It's on their website cooking on a bootstrap too. Highly recommended
    • Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 11th Apr 18, 9:25 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    A chocolate cake from food52 this time.
    Margaret foxes chocolate cake is the one to google.
    This was vegan and all pantry ingredients, super easy, cheap and really delicious. I made it for a workmate who's mostly vegan and she loved it. It's quite gooey and someone else at work didn't clock it's vegan.
    Will go in my regular rotation I think. Only changes was I added coffee to the water and threw in some dark chocolate chips I had kicking about.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 29,357 Thanks
    caronc
    Your doing really well with the new recipes Lolly, I'm afraid at the moment I'm either using up meals made earlier and frozen or making things I've made before. During Spring/Summer cooking to a certain extent takes a back seat as I try and get my garden sorted out!

• Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 11th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    It's actually a lot to do with using up stuff I already have in the house, a lot of random ingredients means I'm always looking for a interesting way to use them.
    Also I live on my own with no other responsibilities and cooking is kind of my hobby.
    I'm so jealous of you having a garden! Dyo grow fruit and veg too?
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 29,357 Thanks
    caronc
    Yes I'm lucky to have a decent sized garden & a greenhouse so grow a fair bit of summer veg. No fruit apart from a wild blackberry patch that "does it's own thing"!

I'm on my own too and know what you mean about random ingredients (the curse of the keen cook) but I tend to "do my own thing" and make it up as I go along. I'm very guilty of following a recipe once and then adapting it thereafter or using my books for inspiration rather than following the recipe....
    Last edited by caronc; 11-04-2018 at 7:52 PM.

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Apr 18, 8:02 PM
    • 21,193 Posts
    • 57,201 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Found some spicy chorizo in the fridge, unopened and still in date but a bit discoloured so changed our plan for tuna risotto (which is something we've cooked for over 30 years so not a new recipe ) to chorizo risotto which is a new one for us.
    Has red/yellow/green peppers, mushrooms and onions.
    And rice.
    • Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 11th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    Your speaking my language there, apart from cuisines I'm not very familiar cooking (Thai for example) I'm always going ill just change this and simplify that.
    The best cookbooks to me are ones that teach me a new technique or help me refine a old one. The little things I find make a difference, especially when cooking with cheap ingredients.
    Salt, fat, acid, heat which I picked up in the kindle deal is really good and teaching me lots of new things.
    I'm nosy so really want to know what veg you grow? I'd love to have the space to grow harder to buy stuff like sorrel and tomatillos.
    • Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 11th Apr 18, 8:09 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    Ohhh, that sounds good pollycat! I love chorizo so much
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 29,357 Thanks
    caronc
    Your speaking my language there, apart from cuisines I'm not very familiar cooking (Thai for example) I'm always going ill just change this and simplify that.
    The best cookbooks to me are ones that teach me a new technique or help me refine a old one. The little things I find make a difference, especially when cooking with cheap ingredients.
    Salt, fat, acid, heat which I picked up in the kindle deal is really good and teaching me lots of new things.
    I'm nosy so really want to know what veg you grow? I'd love to have the space to grow harder to buy stuff like sorrel and tomatillos.
    Originally posted by Lolly willowes
    I got "Salt, fat, acid, heat" for Christmas but have only dipped into it so far.
    Veg wise I grow tomatoes (lots), cucumber, courgettes, broad, dwarf, french & runner beans, peas, assorted herbs, various greens like swiss chard, pak choi, mustard leaf and I'm attempting calvo nero and baby turnips this year and salad stuff like baby gems, soft leaves, radishes etc. I'm not growing chillies or fennel this year as I still have lots frozen from last year. Apart from tomatoes which I either peel & freeze or make passatta and the beans whch again I freeze excess of, I try to grow smaller amounts of the others so I don't get over run with stuff ready & needing used up. I love going out and just picking what I need for meals

• Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 11th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    I got "Salt, fat, acid, heat" for Christmas but have only dipped into it so far.
    Veg wise I grow tomatoes (lots), cucumber, courgettes, broad, dwarf, french & runner beans, peas, assorted herbs, various greens like swiss chard, pak choi, mustard leaf and I'm attempting calvo nero and baby turnips this year and salad stuff like baby gems, soft leaves, radishes etc. I'm not growing chillies or fennel this year as I still have lots frozen from last year. Apart from tomatoes which I either peel & freeze or make passatta and the beans whch again I freeze excess of, I try to grow smaller amounts of the others so I don't get over run with stuff ready & needing used up. I love going out and just picking what I need for meals
    Originally posted by caronc
    That all sounds wonderful! I'm coming round to steal some of your greens! I tried some basic preserving in the past but hasn't been a hit for me. Sauerkraut is apparently easy to make but I ended up with moldy cabbage in a jar.
    Food that fresh doesn't need that much done to it so I bet you eat well during harvest time.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Apr 18, 9:22 PM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 29,357 Thanks
    caronc
    That all sounds wonderful! I'm coming round to steal some of your greens! I tried some basic preserving in the past but hasn't been a hit for me. Sauerkraut is apparently easy to make but I ended up with moldy cabbage in a jar.
    Food that fresh doesn't need that much done to it so I bet you eat well during harvest time.
    The odd chutney. pickled veg and annual bramble vodka is as far as it goes for me in the preserving/pickling department. Otherwise if it gets used or frozen. It's a short growing season here so I like to make the most of the fresh stuff. Please feel free to steal my greens before the slugs & snails do....

• Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 12th Apr 18, 10:16 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    I had an allotment briefly but couldn't keep it up on my own with my shift pattern and slugs and snails didn't get me but pigeons! I came back once to see that they had uprooted all my beetroot but didn't like the taste so left the carnage for me to find.
    I now eat pigeon occasionally as revenge!
    Have you seen the books on small batch preserving? I always think I want to try it but most are American books and they are crazy obsessed with botulism and they make me nervous.
    Also if I bring some homage limoncello wanna share your bramble vodka
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Apr 18, 11:09 AM
    • 4,840 Posts
    • 29,357 Thanks
    caronc
    Also if I bring some homage limoncello wanna share your bramble vodka
    It's deal

• Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 14th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    A burrito bowl meal prep today from budget bytes website. I liked her homemade taco seasoning that she recommended also on the site. One of the listed ingredients was salsa so I made one from thomasina miers Mexican food made easy.
    I liked how many veg were included and now my freezer is full to capacity so I will have to start properly eating from it again soon.
    Some leftover rice will be made into egg fried rice later in the week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,738Posts Today

8,067Users online

Martin's Twitter