Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 12,455Posts
    • 40,172Thanks
    Nelski
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018 24th Dec 17 at 10:26 AM
    Some of you may remember this from a few years ago

Cook Something Different

Anyway does anyone fancy joining me for a 2018 version.

Now despite all my good intentions I have added around another 10 cook books to my already huge collection. On top of this I am subscribed to both good food mag and delicious mag. I would love to say that all these additions mean a constantly changing and varied diet...................no i like looking at the pictures then heading to the kitchen to cook a chilli or a tikka masala .

So enough is enough and there is no better time of year to start changing this habit.

For me I will choose one 'new to me' recipe every week from one of my many resources and hopefully over time expand my current menu. Any one wanna join in? no pressure just a bit of fun
Page 16
    • olgemama
    • By olgemama 16th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    olgemama
    New recipe in the slow cooker - mozzarella and rosemary bread. Never cooked bread in the slow cooker before so this is a totally new idea to me.
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 18th Feb 18, 9:21 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 8,554 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    Made a lovely pork, apple and root veg hotpot today in the slow cooker.
    Put diced pork loin steaks, apple, parsnip, carrot, and leek in the slow cooker with some pork stock and half a bottle of cider. layered thinly sliced potatoes on the top and left on high for around 8 hours. Thickened the sauce with thickening granules when we got home and served with broccoli. The kids weren't keen but hubby and I liked it. Have saved a large portion for hubby to have next week when I'm away
    SPC #148 2014-£25 2015-£5.50 My stars from Sue-UU

Grocery Challenge 2018
    Jan£400.33/£400 Feb£383.02/£400 Mar£392.60/£370 Apr£?/£400 May£378.34/£400 Jun £274.19/£400
    • caronc
    • By caronc 27th Feb 18, 6:15 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 24,823 Thanks
    caronc
    I think with the weather being so cold this will be my next new recipe to try Leek & potato soup with ginger
    I've got all in the ingredients in and it sounds as though it will help keep out the cold

ETA - thought this was a leek & potato recipe but no spuds in the link. May or may not make it now!
    Last edited by caronc; 27-02-2018 at 7:39 PM.
    GC - Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £96/£120, Jun £206/£230
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 27th Feb 18, 8:29 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 8,554 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    Not made any interesting recipes the last few days as I was away. I'm currently planning March's meals so need to go through a few books and add some different meals into the plan

Grocery Challenge 2018
    Jan£400.33/£400 Feb£383.02/£400 Mar£392.60/£370 Apr£?/£400 May£378.34/£400 Jun £274.19/£400
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 28th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,945 Thanks
    purpleybat
    for the first time in my life I followed a recipe for a steak and kidney in beer stew yesterday, it wasn't as nice as my usual one tho it was still tasty.
    I used a recipe from a slow-cooker cookbook but the amount of liquid was huge and tho I cut it down, used stock cube rather than a pint of stock, it still needed reducing at the end. I have written in the book.

I want to try more fish curry recipes so these will have to be on my list for march. I have mackerel fillets in the freezer and I think they will hold up well with a spicy rub, I think I have a recipe in one of my many indian cookbooks.
    gc 2017 £1841.27.
    2018 jan £124.69/£130 feb £157.97/£150 mar £221.33/£200 apr £223.04/£250
    • caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Mar 18, 9:46 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 24,823 Thanks
    caronc
    I decided not to make the leek/potato/ginger soup so my next new recipe to try is this which I'll make on Monday https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/03/leek-mushroom-kale-pea-stir-fry-the-new-vegan-meera-sodha . Though it will be savoy cabbage instead of kale. The recipe is for 4 but it looks as though it will scale down just fine for a couple of portions.
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 7th Mar 18, 8:01 AM
    • 825 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Made.... Arroz De Marisco (prawn and shellfish rice)

From.... Lisboeta: Recipies from Portugal's City of Light. Page 199.

By.... Nuno Mendes

It was pretty darn good!
    Had mussels, clams & king prawns in a spicy and stewy tomato sauce using sushi rice.

Sorry can no long post pics
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 24,823 Thanks
    caronc
    That sounds tasty Mr_Singleton

Today for lunch I finally made a half quantity of https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/03/leek-mushroom-kale-pea-stir-fry-the-new-vegan-meera-sodha. Apart from halving the recipe the other changes I made were to use white mushrooms instead of chestnut and savoy cabbage instead of kale.
    It was very tasty, the only downside although filling at the time, it wasn't very substantial so fine for a light meal but I wouldn't want it for a main with out adding a protein element to it.

Would I make it again? Yes it was easy and tasty and I reckon if you don't want prep individual spices that some curry powder or paste would give a similiar end result.
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Mar 18, 6:20 PM
    • 12,455 Posts
    • 40,172 Thanks
    Nelski
    sorry for the lack of posting but I know you singleies understand the problems of freezer bulge from all the lovely cooking

Tonight Im having a bean burger which I have already posted but I will be hitting my books for at least one new to me meal this week.

Mr S that sound gorgeous anything that has shellfish in it works for me
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Mar 18, 6:27 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 24,823 Thanks
    caronc
    sorry for the lack of posting but I know you singleies understand the problems of freezer bulge from all the lovely cooking
    Originally posted by Nelski
    Don't we just
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 7th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 8,554 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    Hi all, just been having a look through a new veggie cookbook I won at sw in the raffle last week. Lots of lovely recipes but most use beans or chickpeas which hubby won't eat, so will try and make a few for lunches that I can then freeze the leftovers.
    I made some polenta chips tonight, that I've not tried yet so will warm them up for tomorrow's lunch with a poached egg I think and serve with the salad leaves that are needing using up!

Grocery Challenge 2018
    • olgemama
    • By olgemama 8th Mar 18, 12:16 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    olgemama
    Was snowed in for 3 days last week and did a lot of baking / cooking
    New recipes made were -
    Golden Syrup & Oat cookies, really easy and tasty
    Ginos Tagliatelle Alla Bolognese di mio nonno - devine, and made a big batch so there are portions in the freezer for another day.
    Home made Gnocci - time consuming but theraputic! Very tasty, served with home made -
    Roasted Red Pepper sauce - found in a good food magazine, tasty and easy.
    • Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 8th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    Hello all, completely new to these boards but I'm in love with this thread and would love to join in please!?
    I made a salsa verde recently for some cod and with the leftover sauce I smothered some new potatoes and leftover veg to have as a kind of salad for lunches. From marcella hanzan Italian cookbook.
    I have far too many cookbooks but if your like me and always looking for new ones i recommend a thread on chow hound where they cook from a book a month and the piglet on food52 where they have a knockout style competition to find the years best cookbook.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 8th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    • 12,455 Posts
    • 40,172 Thanks
    Nelski
    Hello all, completely new to these boards but I'm in love with this thread and would love to join in please!?
    I made a salsa verde recently for some cod and with the leftover sauce I smothered some new potatoes and leftover veg to have as a kind of salad for lunches. From marcella hanzan Italian cookbook.
    I have far too many cookbooks but if your like me and always looking for new ones i recommend a thread on chow hound where they cook from a book a month and the piglet on food52 where they have a knockout style competition to find the years best cookbook.
    Originally posted by Lolly willowes
    oh yes I have far too many Lolly but like any addiction it doesnt stop me buying another

I love doing new recipes just probably need one of those walk in freezers to accommodate the results

Welcome to cookbook anonymous
    • Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 8th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    But there's so much to learn when it comes to food! My excuse anyway
    is it ok to talk about not new to us but we'll tried and loved recipes from cookbooks in case others may have the books and want to try something new?
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 8th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 12,455 Posts
    • 40,172 Thanks
    Nelski
    But there's so much to learn when it comes to food! My excuse anyway
    is it ok to talk about not new to us but we'll tried and loved recipes from cookbooks in case others may have the books and want to try something new?
    Originally posted by Lolly willowes
    ]

of course no rules here just a collection of foodies sharing their indulgences

Who's your favourite chef? Im pretty mainstream with Jamie O and James Martin but I do own a few oddities as well usually promoted on one of the many cooking programmes I watch like Sunday Brunch

Good to have you on board
    • Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 8th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    Nigel slater is my hands down fave. I always feel you could actually cook for him and not have a heart attack if things went a bit awry.
    Also slightly obsessed with the felicity cloake cook the perfect column in the guardian.
    I think a food writer has to click with how you like to cook and I love hearing what cookbooks others love. I'm also always collecting the older classic cookbooks with writers such as madhur jaffrey and Claudia roden. Just shove me a pile of cookbooks and give me a afternoon off and I'm happy trying to recreate feasts on a tight budget
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 8th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Most recipies I do seem to be for 4 so I just halve it and eat 1 portion straight away then freeze 1 for a lunch or supper when I don't have the time or inclination to cook. Will probably have yesterday's other half for a quick late lunch on Saturday.

Today's supper was from: A Simple Table: Recipies and Rituals for a Life in Balance by Chi-San Wan & Natali Stajcic

Baked Nori Chicken Wings. Page 126.

Had that with rice and the suggested 'Quick Pickled Red Cabbage'. Page 172.

Will definitely be adding this to my must make again but would add some additional vegetables ie miso glazed broccoli to round it out.

Will be taking the leftovers to work tomorrow for lunch.

Bought 'Be Good To Your Gut' by Eva Kalinik this afternoon as a bit of an impulse purchase. It does have some interesting looking recipes to my defence
    • olgemama
    • By olgemama 10th Mar 18, 2:58 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    olgemama
    ]

of course no rules here just a collection of foodies sharing their indulgences

Who's your favourite chef? Im pretty mainstream with Jamie O and James Martin but I do own a few oddities as well usually promoted on one of the many cooking programmes I watch like Sunday Brunch

Good to have you on board

Jamie Oliver is my favourite, most of what we eat is one of his recipes.

Family favourites are his Spaghetti alla Puttanesca and from 30 minute meals, and from Happy Days with The Naked Chef I regularly cook the Chilli con Carne, the curry sauce, the Magnificent roasted monkfish and the layered focaccia with cheese and rocket. I love his Jools Stew too, can't remember which book that's in though.

I've just got one of his books that I don't own out of the library so am going to browse that now.
    • Lolly willowes
    • By Lolly willowes 10th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Lolly willowes
    I just made a sausage and bean casserole from Jack Monroe blog cooking on a bootstrap. I didn't have bitter in so just left that out and used a tin of beans in tomato sauce that was gifted to me. I did add fresh rosemary as I had some in the fridge. I served it with polenta following felicity cloakes instructions on the guardian and both are lovely. Particularly looking forward to frying the polenta tomorrow and serving with more casserole and a fried egg on top !!!55357;!!!56832;
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,285Users online

Martin's Twitter