Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 12,396Posts
    • 39,186Thanks
    Nelski
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018 24th Dec 17 at 10:26 AM
    Some of you may remember this from a few years ago

Cook Something Different

Anyway does anyone fancy joining me for a 2018 version.

Now despite all my good intentions I have added around another 10 cook books to my already huge collection. On top of this I am subscribed to both good food mag and delicious mag. I would love to say that all these additions mean a constantly changing and varied diet...................no i like looking at the pictures then heading to the kitchen to cook a chilli or a tikka masala .

So enough is enough and there is no better time of year to start changing this habit.

For me I will choose one 'new to me' recipe every week from one of my many resources and hopefully over time expand my current menu. Any one wanna join in? no pressure just a bit of fun
Page 14
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 7th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 5,049 Posts
    • 37,853 Thanks
    joedenise
    Cooked a new recipe for sausage pilaf with roasted veg last night from the Savvy Shoppers Cookbook which I bought recently with the Tom Kerridge book from Am*zon just to make it up to the necessary 10 for free postage - cost less than paying for postage on just the 1st book!

It's a definite keeper.

Denise
    • olgemama
    • By olgemama 8th Feb 18, 11:34 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    olgemama
    Sweet potato, chickpea and spinach coconut curry sounds gorgeous - recipe please!
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    I can't post the link is here to the website the recipe came from as I'm new- it was from a vegan website called the vegan 8 - put this into google and its the top one
    'vegan sweet potato chickpea and spinich coconut curry'

I loved it, 13 year old didn't like it, ate half then gave up (scored it 1/5) 12 year old was sceptical when he saw chickpeas but I reminded him humus is made from chickpeas and he tentatively tried it he scored it 3.5/5
    • olgemama
    • By olgemama 8th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    olgemama
    Whereabouts in Cheshire? I'm fairly local, living in a suburb of South Manchester

Curry sounds lovely, I did try Meat free Mondays a while ago. Found it quite tricky was hubby is a carnivore and the kids are a bit picky. Be interested to hear what recipes you have planned.
    Originally posted by Mrs Cheshire
    Mondays work well as my hubby doesn't eat dinner with us on a Monday He's a massive carnivore too!
    • olgemama
    • By olgemama 8th Feb 18, 11:48 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    olgemama
    New recipe I'm planning this weekend is Jamie Olivers Unbelievable Provencal Bake. We saw him make this on his Friday Night Feast programme and have been wanting to make it ever since.

Planning Halloumi & roasted vegetable wraps this Monday, should please the 13yo as he loves Halloumi.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 23,524 Thanks
    caronc
    I made another new to me recipe the other day (from the internet)- Portuguese sardine pate. Very easy just tinned sardines, some of the oil from the tin, softened butter, juice of 1/2 a lemon, a tbsp or so of finely diced onion, a tsp of capers (or gherkins), white pepper, a heaped tbsp chopped fresh parsley and a couple of sundried tomatoes (or 1tbsp tom puree or ketchup). Everything was blended until combined and fairly smooth and chilled for an hour before using. It was lovely and went really well with the Portuguese green bean soup.
    I've still to make Nigella's Mushroom & Potato gratin- will make it at the weekend.
    GC - Jan18 55/120, Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 122/200
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 8th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    • 12,396 Posts
    • 39,186 Thanks
    Nelski
    I made another new to me recipe the other day (from the internet)- Portuguese sardine pate. Very easy just tinned sardines, some of the oil from the tin, softened butter, juice of 1/2 a lemon, a tbsp or so of finely diced onion, a tsp of capers (or gherkins), white pepper, a heaped tbsp chopped fresh parsley and a couple of sundried tomatoes (or 1tbsp tom puree or ketchup). Everything was blended until combined and fairly smooth and chilled for an hour before using. It was lovely and went really well with the Portuguese green bean soup.
    I've still to make Nigella's Mushroom & Potato gratin- will make it at the weekend.
    Originally posted by caronc
    Oh im so making that I adore sardines ...I can see this with a big pile of melba toast being a staple for me x
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 23,524 Thanks
    caronc
    Oh im so making that I adore sardines ...I can see this with a big pile of melba toast being a staple for me x
    Originally posted by Nelski
    It's very moreish, lots of recipes online. I used two tins of sardines but only the oil from one.
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Feb 18, 1:38 PM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 23,524 Thanks
    caronc
    New recipe I'm planning this weekend is Jamie Olivers Unbelievable Provencal Bake. We saw him make this on his Friday Night Feast programme and have been wanting to make it ever since.

Planning Halloumi & roasted vegetable wraps this Monday, should please the 13yo as he loves Halloumi.
    Originally posted by olgemama
    Just Googled that bake - sounds lush and of course it's pancake day on Tuesday......
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 8th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 8,377 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    Did a half lamb leg in the slow cooker today, extra bonus that my 2 oldest son's who are fussy about texture and chewy meat both ate it. I've got a bit left which I'm going to turn into hotpot later this month, so will cube it and freeze!
    SPC #148 2014-25 2015-5.50 My stars from Sue-UU

Grocery Challenge 2018
    Jan 400.33/400 Feb 383.02/400 Mar 392.60/370 Apr 211.17/400
    • olgemama
    • By olgemama 9th Feb 18, 9:58 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    olgemama
    Did a half lamb leg in the slow cooker today, extra bonus that my 2 oldest son's who are fussy about texture and chewy meat both ate it. I've got a bit left which I'm going to turn into hotpot later this month, so will cube it and freeze!
    How did you do the lamb in the slow cooker? I don't use mine as much as I ought to. Kids and hubby adore lamb.
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 9th Feb 18, 11:05 AM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    donnajt
    Tonight I'm trying a new Simming World recipe - Paprika Pork - fingers crossed
    Slinkies 3st by summer (loss to date 10.5lbs)
    FlyMarketeers 1k by summer (sealed tin)
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    • 12,396 Posts
    • 39,186 Thanks
    Nelski
    hi all cheating a bit as I have made this recipe before but new to me is cooking it in the slow cooker

Anyway its Lamb Doner from the Takeaway Secrets book will serve in a pitta with salad spicy onions chilli and garlic sauce ....looking forward to a pretend Friday takeaway
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th Feb 18, 8:03 PM
    • 12,396 Posts
    • 39,186 Thanks
    Nelski
    Just reporting back on the Lamb Doner......Gorgeous

can highly recommend the use of a slow cooker and was surprised that it went crispy on the outside. Will defo cook again I did 6hrs on low

The only problem encountered was nothing to do with the recipe ...I stuffed 2 pittas with his pitta salad, spicy onions and doner meat yum ....could only manage one though.... boy it was filling Was going to do some chips with it too ...good job I couldn't be bothered in the end

So all in all a winner for me
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 8:45 PM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 23,524 Thanks
    caronc

can highly recommend the use of a slow cooker and was surprised that it went crispy on the outside. Will defo cook again I did 6hrs on low

The only problem encountered was nothing to do with the recipe ...I stuffed 2 pittas with his pitta salad, spicy onions and doner meat yum ....could only manage one though.... boy it was filling Was going to do some chips with it too ...good job I couldn't be bothered in the end

Glad it worked for you - I wouldn't cook "fakeaway" lamb doner any other way but in the SC now.
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 9th Feb 18, 9:02 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 8,377 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    How did you do the lamb in the slow cooker? I don't use mine as much as I ought to. Kids and hubby adore lamb.
    Originally posted by olgemama
    I literally put the whole thing in, turned it on the medium and left it for about 5 hours before turning it to low. Hubby took it out at just before 5pm and sliced it before popping minted gravy on it.
    You could cook it in gravy but my joint had some fat on the top and I don't like thee grease in my gravy. Got enough left for lamb hotpot later in the month.

Tonight I'm trying a new Simming World recipe - Paprika Pork - fingers crossed
    Originally posted by donnajt
    Sounds nice, would you mind sharing whether it was good once you've eaten it and the recipe.

Glad you enjoyed, I much prefer it slow cooked.

Grocery Challenge 2018
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 10th Feb 18, 3:03 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 3,745 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    Afternoon all.
    If we get our act together today, we will be cooking this Gino veggie dish
    www.ginodacampo.com/recipe/venetian-style-pasta-shells-stuffed-with-courgettes-sage/
    The only herb we don't have is sage & our local SM didn't have it either.
    Hopefully will still be ok....

Hope all have a good rest of the day today.
    SIL x
    D17/J18 75.27; J/F18 64.79; F/M 124.01; M/A 40.05/130.00
    CCC - 26.00
    Lunch2work 14/20 J18; 10/19 F18; 3/17 A18
    GNSD 18/31 J18; 15/28 F18; 7/31 M18; 7/30A18
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 10th Feb 18, 3:18 PM
    • 12,396 Posts
    • 39,186 Thanks
    Nelski
    Afternoon all.
    If we get our act together today, we will be cooking this Gino veggie dish
    www.ginodacampo.com/recipe/venetian-style-pasta-shells-stuffed-with-courgettes-sage/
    The only herb we don't have is sage & our local SM didn't have it either.
    Hopefully will still be ok....

Hope all have a good rest of the day today.
    SIL x
    Originally posted by ScotinLondon
    Oh now if only you lived a bit closer.....for some strange reason I discovered I had 3 jars of sage 2 of them still with the plastic on you would be very welcome to some in return for a bowl of pasta
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 11th Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 8,377 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    Made slow cooker beef stifado for tea today. I enjoyed it but wouldn't rush out to make it again. It was lacking something but can't put my finger on what.

I've got risotto on the menu later in the week, was thinking of doing mushroom but wanted to get more depth of flavour, has anyone used dried mushrooms before? Hubby just turned his nose up at me mentioning it, so will have to find something else for him to have.
    I'll have to look in the freezer to see if there is any odd bits lying about

Grocery Challenge 2018
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 3,598 Posts
    • 23,524 Thanks
    caronc
    I made the "Potato & Mushroom Gratin" from Nigella Express.
    I halved the recipe, used vermouth instead of white wine and crushed garlic/olive oil instead of garlic flavoured olive oil. I don't think these impacted on the end result
    Feedback: A bit underwhelmed tbh, for an "express" dish it's quite faffy. It's cooked in a hot oven and I was left very a unappealing burnt milk skin on the top. Once I removed that the rest was tasty enough but slightly greasy for my taste. The recipe call for chestnut mushrooms but I reckon (cheaper) white mushrooms would have been fine.
    Will I make again? No
    GC YTD - 349/590
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 12th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 3,438 Posts
    • 31,619 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Made slow cooker beef stifado for tea today. I enjoyed it but wouldn't rush out to make it again. It was lacking something but can't put my finger on what.

I've got risotto on the menu later in the week, was thinking of doing mushroom but wanted to get more depth of flavour, has anyone used dried mushrooms before? Hubby just turned his nose up at me mentioning it, so will have to find something else for him to have.
    I'll have to look in the freezer to see if there is any odd bits lying about
    I try to always keep some dried mushrooms in stock, last batch were on a good offer from Grapevine, for risotto and soups I snip some into small pieces and soak in just boiled water for as long as I can, e.g. overnight or perhaps only 1/2 hour. I add the bits to fresh mushrooms etc at the end of the sauteing time, strain the liquid through a tea strainer and add it at the liquid stage, gives a great depth of flavour even from just a small amount. I love risotto, but OH will only eat it occasionally, however I make a Remoska recipe called Mushroom rice which involves adding all the liquid at once and he seems to love it (strange creatures these OHs )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

791Posts Today

5,756Users online

Martin's Twitter