Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Did you take husbands surname IF married.

Yes

67.62% • 165 votes

No

27.46% • 67 votes

We doubled barrelled

3.28% • 8 votes

He took my surname

1.64% • 4 votes

You may not vote on this poll

244 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 24th Dec 17, 9:48 AM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 1,639Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    Your married surname.
    • 24th Dec 17, 9:48 AM
    Your married surname. 24th Dec 17 at 9:48 AM
    No comments please, just a poll.

Only take if you are married husband or wife
    Last edited by consumers_revenge; 24-12-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Page 3
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 26th Dec 17, 10:10 PM
    • 5,165 Posts
    • 8,409 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Being of an agegroup that hasnt attended a wedding for some time - I thought it was now pretty normal for women to make speeches at weddings too.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Iím in my early 30ís so Iíve attended a lot of weddings in the last few years and have a few due next year. Iíve only known one wedding where a woman made a speech. This was the mother of the bride and I think this was primarily because the father of the bride was not present. It certainly isnít my experience that itís commonplace.

Out of those whoíve got married Iíve known two women who have kept their own surnames, all the rest the woman has taken the mans surname.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 28th Dec 17, 2:53 PM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 2,153 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Iím in my early 30ís so Iíve attended a lot of weddings in the last few years and have a few due next year. Iíve only known one wedding where a woman made a speech. This was the mother of the bride and I think this was primarily because the father of the bride was not present. It certainly isnít my experience that itís commonplace.

Out of those whoíve got married Iíve known two women who have kept their own surnames, all the rest the woman has taken the mans surname.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    Most of the weddings I have attended in the last few years have had both Bride and Groom making a speech. At the last one, the Mother of the Bride gave her away and gave the speech as the Brides Father wasn't in the picture. I think it depends on the individuals concerned.
    • autumn2012
    • By autumn2012 28th Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    autumn2012
    Married in 2014 - two children together. Kids have his surname and I have kept my own. Im my own person and I shall keep my given name at birth. Its an outdated tradition in my opinion to take the males name. However it is upto the individual. It doesnt make our marriage or love any less strong - tbh I dont see the big deal
    • karcher
    • By karcher 28th Dec 17, 8:01 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher
    Married in 2014 - two children together. Kids have his surname and I have kept my own. Im my own person and I shall keep my given name at birth. Its an outdated tradition in my opinion to take the males name. However it is upto the individual. It doesnt make our marriage or love any less strong - tbh I dont see the big deal
    Originally posted by autumn2012
    So why didn't you give your children your surname?

Why give them his?
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 29th Dec 17, 12:28 PM
    • 5,165 Posts
    • 8,409 Thanks
    Gavin83
    So why didn't you give your children your surname?

Why give them his?
    Originally posted by karcher
    Why not?

I guess if you'll have different surnames this is a dilemma that'll crop up. It is somewhat bizarre that someone who has no desire to share their surname with their husband would be concerned about sharing their surname with their children.

Maybe in this situation the only 'fair' solution is to double barrel the children's surname.
    • Guineapigsqueaks
    • By Guineapigsqueaks 29th Dec 17, 3:18 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 2,435 Thanks
    Guineapigsqueaks
    My husband took my surname when we married. I was from a family of girls only and wanted to carry on my lovely Dad's surname. My husband's Dad was a waste of space, so husband was happy to do it.

Keep Smiling
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 29th Dec 17, 5:25 PM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 1,639 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    This reason I like
    • pebbles88
    • By pebbles88 3rd Jan 18, 11:49 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 4,184 Thanks
    pebbles88
    I did end up changing to his name when we got married, really didn't want to but it was 'important' to him.....

Should have stuck to my guns, so happy now I'm back to 'My' name following divorce!!!!!
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
    • DevilsAdvocate1
    • By DevilsAdvocate1 3rd Jan 18, 11:39 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    DevilsAdvocate1
    I took my husband's name when I married him but it was right hassle. I wouldn't do it again. You don't realise how many places you have to change your name. And changing the passport was particularly awkward as I worked away alot at the time.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 9th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 17,148 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    My wife took my surname. It wasn't much of a hassle to change it.

My brother's wife has kept her surname. We all think it's a bit odd, and don't know what surname their first child will take.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Jan 18, 11:16 AM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    bertiewhite

Only take if you are married husband or wife
    Originally posted by consumers_revenge
    I'm a married husband but to a woman so I answered "No" as I don't have a husband.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,422Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin