Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 23rd Dec 17, 5:35 PM
    • 3,129Posts
    • 8,230Thanks
    melanzana
    0 WOW
    Have you any nice travel plans for 2018?
    • 23rd Dec 17, 5:35 PM
    0 WOW
    Have you any nice travel plans for 2018? 23rd Dec 17 at 5:35 PM
    I love the escapism of reading about other people's travel plans.

We will be going to Playa Blanca in Lanzarote in January.

Driving the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland early April.

Cruise in June, destination under discussion, but will be Mediterranean or Norwegian Fjiords.

Spain in September. Pretty much run of the mill, but we are so fortunate to be able to do it.

I have done all the long hauls I want to do now, so it's Europe for now.
Page 5
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 29th Apr 18, 9:29 AM
    • 5,132 Posts
    • 4,238 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Where are you going Dosh?
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Marmaris - it may be a bit touristy there but I'm just looking for somewhere with cheap beer and reliable sunshine. I couldn't believe the prices for Portugal and Spain this year. I also didn't want an AI hotel in the middle of nowhere but at least in Marmaris there are plenty of local alternatives.

It will be my first time in Turkey, my first ever AI and my first package holiday for about 20 years - but I'm always one to try something different once in a while.

Asking around friends and at work it seems a lot of people are going to Turkey this year so hopefully that's a sign that the troubles the tourism sector over there has had recently are over.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 29th Apr 18, 12:17 PM
    • 6,432 Posts
    • 9,269 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Have a wander across to Icmeler by orange dolmus [shared minibus], or Turunc by white dolmus. Cheap as chips, and doesn't take long.

You can also do the same by boat from Marmaris Marina, a bit dearer than the dolmus but still cheap.

You won't get cheap beer outside of your AI in Turkey.....sin tax has taken care of that.

Have a look at Lake Ohrid in Macedonia for your next trip. We're there now, it really is a superb destination, and v.good vfm
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 29th Apr 18, 12:58 PM
    • 5,132 Posts
    • 4,238 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Thanks, PP. A wealth of knowledge as usual. The dolmus busses sound like fun.

I'm not sure what is on the agenda for the rest of the year. I'd like to get back to Cambodia to do the bits I have missed previously. After getting all Bangkok-ed out by going to Sin City too often I feel refreshed enough now after a 3 year break to do a few day stopover on the way.

Macedonia sounds interesting. In fact, I haven't done any of the former Yugoslav states so I will put that on my (very long) places-t-go list.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 29th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    • 6,432 Posts
    • 9,269 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    If you've missed Battambang in the past, then it's well worth a couple of nights. The surrounding countryside is beautiful to see by tuk tuk, and the Bamboo Train is good fun too.

We exited Cambodia overland at Poipet into Thailand, stayed a couple of nights in nearby Aranyapraphet, and then got the 0645 train to Bangkok [5 hours @ 48 baht a ticket].

You can now get from Phnom Penh to Kampot by train. Kampot together with Kep are well worth a side-trip from PP, as is hiring a tuk tuk for the day to see Kampot and Kep.
    • mersey
    • By mersey 29th Apr 18, 1:21 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    mersey
    Kefalonia Greece in June,Prague in December short break for Christmas markets.Will also book something else,haven!!!8217;t decided yet.
    Last edited by mersey; 29-04-2018 at 1:25 PM.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 14th Apr 19, 8:39 PM
    • 5,206 Posts
    • 4,215 Thanks
    blindman
    May be worth starting another thread.

I'm retiring end of this year

So planning a RTW trip for early 2019 using as little ca$h and mostly Airline miles.

Just booked the key flights:

SCL-IPC Easter Island
    IPC-PPT French Polinesia

Waiting for the PPT-MEL flights to be come available to book these with AAdvantage miles.

I have a rough route from MEL back to UK which involves
    BALI
    Myanmar
    Qatar
    Iran
    Georgia
    Turkmenistan
    Another Stan ?
    Cyprus
    Egypt

Then possibly home.

Probably take 3 months
    Originally posted by blindman
    So, just got back from the RTW trip.

Final Itin was:

Columbia
    Medellin
    Cartegana
    Bogota

Ecuador
    Gallapagos
    Quito

Bolivia
    La Paz
    Sucre
    Potosi
    Uynuini Salt flts

Chile
    San Pedro to Atacama
    Santiago
    Easter Island

French Polynesaio
    Papette.

Australia
    Melbourne
    Tasmania

Myanmar
    Yangon
    Bagan
    Mandalay
    Inle Lake

Cyprus
    Larnaca
    Paphos

Home now for 10 days then
    Azerbaijan
    Georgia
    Ukraine

Home.

I will try to write a thread on the MSE trip, no promises.
    Last edited by blindman; 14-04-2019 at 8:45 PM.
    • koalakoala
    • By koalakoala 14th Apr 19, 9:43 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    koalakoala
    Sounds fab
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 15th Apr 19, 7:28 PM
    • 14,062 Posts
    • 12,175 Thanks
    zagfles
    So, just got back from the RTW trip.

Final Itin was:

Columbia
    Medellin
    Cartegana
    Bogota

Ecuador
    Gallapagos
    Quito

Bolivia
    La Paz
    Sucre
    Potosi
    Uynuini Salt flts

Chile
    San Pedro to Atacama
    Santiago
    Easter Island

French Polynesaio
    Papette.

Australia
    Melbourne
    Tasmania

Myanmar
    Yangon
    Bagan
    Mandalay
    Inle Lake

Cyprus
    Larnaca
    Paphos

Home now for 10 days then
    Azerbaijan
    Georgia
    Ukraine

Home.

I will try to write a thread on the MSE trip, no promises.
    Please do - sounds great!
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 15th Apr 19, 7:58 PM
    • 5,132 Posts
    • 4,238 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Sounds fab
    Originally posted by koalakoala
    Certainly deserves credit for doing an unconventional route around the world.
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 16th Apr 19, 12:59 PM
    • 7,207 Posts
    • 334,921 Thanks
    DUKE
    That is some trip blindman!

I've been looking into Japan, Mada, & Vietnam, but undecided as of yet. Although I've been threatening to do Vietnam for years so this one could win.
    Thanks everyone!
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 16th Apr 19, 2:28 PM
    • 5,132 Posts
    • 4,238 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    That is some trip blindman!

I've been looking into Japan, Mada, & Vietnam, but undecided as of yet. Although I've been threatening to do Vietnam for years so this one could win.
    Originally posted by DUKE
    I've done Vietnam twice in the last 4 years and now is the perfect time to go. It is opening up to tourism and infrastructure in improving but it hasn't been spoiled yet as many places in Thailand have. You could have a decent look around either the North or South half in 2 weeks but to do end to end would take a month.

The value for money there is incredible. I never paid more than £20-25 a night for a room but you could have easily spent less if you were happy with more basic accommodation. A meal is only a couple of pounds and beer only a few pence.

This year I'm fancying doing the parts of Malaysia which I have missed in previous visits. It's more expensive than the rest of SE Asia (esp for alcohol) but what you get for your money is excellent.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 16th Apr 19, 8:31 PM
    • 5,206 Posts
    • 4,215 Thanks
    blindman
    I've done Vietnam twice in the last 4 years and now is the perfect time to go. It is opening up to tourism and infrastructure in improving but it hasn't been spoiled yet as many places in Thailand have.

The value for money there is incredible. I never paid more than £20-25 a night for a room but you could have easily spent less if you were happy with more basic accommodation. A meal is only a couple of pounds and beer only a few pence.

This year I'm fancying doing the parts of Malaysia which I have missed in previous visits. It's more expensive than the rest of SE Asia (esp for alcohol) but what you get for your money is excellent.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    We went to Vietnam last year and (unusually for me) we would go back as there is so much to see.

Value for money though is Myanmar.

74p brandy-We drank it and I can still see

Beer/food\accommodation\bus travel is cheap.

I will go back in the very near future as tourism is still in it's infancy and the country is mostly unspoiled.

Visa is 50$ IIRC
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 20th Apr 19, 11:54 AM
    • 7,207 Posts
    • 334,921 Thanks
    DUKE
    I think I'll do Da Nang, Hue, & Hoi An. Although I did consider Hanoi, & that train But I don't want to rush around, I feel these days I need time to reflect. I'm at the hotel stage, & they're great for the money!
    Thanks everyone!
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 20th Apr 19, 1:57 PM
    • 5,132 Posts
    • 4,238 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I think I'll do Da Nang, Hue, & Hoi An. Although I did consider Hanoi, & that train But I don't want to rush around, I feel these days I need time to reflect. I'm at the hotel stage, & they're great for the money!
    Originally posted by DUKE
    Hue and Hoi An are both worth a few nights each but personally I would give Danang a miss. I've passed through a couple of times and apart from a lot of big resort hotels and massage parlours for Chinese visitors, there didn't seem to be much there.

Hanoi is chaotic when you first arrive but once you get your bearings it can be great fun wandering around the back streets of the Old Town, sitting on a tiny pavement plastic stool drinking cheap Bia Hoi and just watching the world go by.

I've never done long distance trains in Vietnam. Internal flights are very cheap as long as you are prepared for delays.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 20th Apr 19, 5:39 PM
    • 2,130 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    Ballard
    Value for money though is Myanmar.
    I have looked into Myanmar a couple of times but havenít gone. When I first did some investigations tourists needed a minder and the second time was just when it kicked off with the Rohingya and I canít bring myself to consider the country whilst the regime conducts itself in such a manner. That said, I donít blame you at all for going and I have been to China which doesnít exactly cover itself in glory with respect to human rights.

Iíve only got about four South East Asian countries that I havenít visited yet but hope to get the set one day!
    I hate verisimilitude.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 20th Apr 19, 8:09 PM
    • 3,129 Posts
    • 8,230 Thanks
    melanzana
    Great to read all your reports, I feel a bit exhausted by the itineraries of some of you!

I started the OP back in 2017. Got to do all that we planned that year, but life got in the way with various things, illness, bereavement etc.

BUT we are back on track again now! Just need to do some planning. Not doing long hauls again, did all that when a wee bit younger. So it will be mostly Europe now and places undiscovered by us to date. Serbia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania spring to mind. Will sort out after Easter Break.
    • koalakoala
    • By koalakoala 21st Apr 19, 7:21 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    koalakoala
    I've been saying for about 3 years now I am not doing long haul again but I have a selective memory!
    I just love seeing what goes on in the world.
    Off to Boston in a couple of weeks, Amsterdam in July, and Puerto Vallarta in December/January for a month. I think it is my all time favourite winter destination, used to be Asia we went every Christmas/New Year. Hoping to do Las Vegas in October, waiting to see if John Fogerty is going back then. Cape Town was my least favourite destination.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 21st Apr 19, 7:04 PM
    • 5,206 Posts
    • 4,215 Thanks
    blindman
    I have looked into Myanmar a couple of times but havenít gone. When I first did some investigations tourists needed a minder and the second time was just when it kicked off with the Rohingya and I canít bring myself to consider the country whilst the regime conducts itself in such a manner. That said, I donít blame you at all for going and I have been to China which doesnít exactly cover itself in glory with respect to human rights.

Iíve only got about four South East Asian countries that I havenít visited yet but hope to get the set one day!
    Originally posted by Ballard
    I think if we all avoided dodgy countries\Governments then no-one would travel.

Go whilst its still untouched.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

30Posts Today

1,589Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin