Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 23rd Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 2,729Posts
    • 7,389Thanks
    melanzana
    0 WOW
    Have you any nice travel plans for 2018?
    • 23rd Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    0 WOW
    Have you any nice travel plans for 2018? 23rd Dec 17 at 6:35 PM
    I love the escapism of reading about other people's travel plans.

We will be going to Playa Blanca in Lanzarote in January.

Driving the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland early April.

Cruise in June, destination under discussion, but will be Mediterranean or Norwegian Fjiords.

Spain in September. Pretty much run of the mill, but we are so fortunate to be able to do it.

I have done all the long hauls I want to do now, so it's Europe for now.
Page 4
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 16th Apr 18, 8:48 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 1,322 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    If you not been to Malaga before, it's a lovely city. Most people skip it completely in their rush to get to their sunbeds.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    We're actually staying in Benalmadena Pete. Lovely apartment near the beach. Went to Malaga last year in it's own right though for a city break. Like many people, we've flown to it numerous times but always on our way to the coast.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 16th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    • 4,490 Posts
    • 10,250 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Italy for me, as usual. A week at lake Garda, then a week in Milan, including two days at the Italian GP.

I expect as usual everyone I talk to in Italian will reply in English
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 16th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 1,322 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    What about 2019? Anyone booked anything yet looking at a trip to Canada for our main summer holiday. I'm even outbotrd for Thailand though
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 16th Apr 18, 4:01 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 1,322 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    Outvoted lol.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 16th Apr 18, 5:40 PM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    blindman
    What about 2019? Anyone booked anything yet looking at a trip to Canada for our main summer holiday. I'm even outbotrd for Thailand though
    Originally posted by holidaysforme
    May be worth starting another thread.

I'm retiring end of this year

So planning a RTW trip for early 2019 using as little ca$h and mostly Airline miles.

Just booked the key flights:

SCL-IPC Easter Island
    IPC-PPT French Polinesia

Waiting for the PPT-MEL flights to be come available to book these with AAdvantage miles.

I have a rough route from MEL back to UK which involves
    BALI
    Myanmar
    Qatar
    Iran
    Georgia
    Turkmenistan
    Another Stan ?
    Cyprus
    Egypt

Then possibly home.

Probably take 3 months
    • alisont
    • By alisont 16th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 2,233 Thanks
    alisont
    Went on a Marella cruise in the Canaries over Easter and have a P&O cruise booked to Norwegian fjords later in the year, both with my Dad.
    Sealed Pot Challenge number 8 Amount declared 365.50.

Sealed pot challenge number 9 number 482
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 17th Apr 18, 6:39 AM
    • 5,616 Posts
    • 7,872 Thanks
    PompeyPete

So planning a RTW trip for early 2019 using as little ca$h and mostly Airline miles.

SCL-IPC Easter Island
    IPC-PPT French Polinesia

Waiting for the PPT-MEL flights to be come available to book these with AAdvantage miles.

BALI
    Myanmar
    Qatar
    Iran
    Georgia
    Turkmenistan
    Another Stan ?
    Cyprus
    Egypt

Then possibly home.

Probably take 3 months
    Originally posted by blindman
    Make sure all your Visa are sorted out, and that you have enough blank pages in your Passport.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 17th Apr 18, 10:00 AM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    blindman
    Make sure all your Visa are sorted out, and that you have enough blank pages in your Passport.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete

Visa's will be looked into and we had new passports in 2016 so should be blank pages a plenty-But will add it to the list of things to do.

Cheers
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 17th Apr 18, 10:18 AM
    • 13,276 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    zagfles

SCL-IPC Easter Island
    IPC-PPT French Polinesia

BALI
    Myanmar
    Qatar
    Iran
    Georgia
    Turkmenistan
    Another Stan ?
    Cyprus
    Egypt

Then possibly home.

Probably take 3 months
    Oooh sounds very similar to my back of a fag packet plan for my sabbatical, though I'd like to get the Galapagos and Pitcairn in and Jordan and Israel on the way back.

Dreams at the moment, not looked into the practicalities. And other issues like the wife
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Apr 18, 10:51 AM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,667 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Rochdale tonight. Big match.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 17th Apr 18, 12:23 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 1,322 Thanks
    holidaysforme

SCL-IPC Easter Island
    IPC-PPT French Polinesia

BALI
    Myanmar
    Qatar
    Iran
    Georgia
    Turkmenistan
    Another Stan ?
    Cyprus
    Egypt

Then possibly home.

Probably take 3 months
    That will take some planning. Sounds fantastic though. Hope you have a blast.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 17th Apr 18, 12:34 PM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    blindman
    Oooh sounds very similar to my back of a fag packet plan for my sabbatical, though I'd like to get the Galapagos and Pitcairn in and Jordan and Israel on the way back.

Dreams at the moment, not looked into the practicalities. And other issues like the wife
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Galapagos Difficult to get there cheaply

Been to Jordan (Petra) Israel (Bethlehem\Jerusalem)

Pitcairn-We fly over it

I'm taking the wife
    Last edited by blindman; 17-04-2018 at 1:32 PM.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th Apr 18, 12:36 PM
    • 2,879 Posts
    • 7,884 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    We are going to Vancouver Sound to see bears (and orca, seals, bald eagles. etc). Very excited!
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 17th Apr 18, 1:05 PM
    • 13,276 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    zagfles
    Galapagos Difficult to get there cheaplty
    Indeed - I know that'll be expensive. It'll certainly challenge my usual MSE attitude!
    been to Jordan (Petra) Israel (Bethlehm\Jerusalem)
    Only been to Jerusalem but definitely want to go back.
    Pitcairn-We fly over it
    In reality I'd probably miss it out but love the Bounty story - if not too much hassle/expense would like to go but not essential.
    I'm taking the wife
    Mine would love some of it but hate other bits. And 3 months travelling together? We get on really well at home but not so well on holiday - 3 months 24/7 together would be too much, think we'd be divorced before we got back

She's thinking about a trip to NZ to help an aged relative so that would be a good time to go, if we time it well she could stop off on the way out and back if I'm somewhere that interests her at the time, maybe do a couple of 2 weeks stints travelling together...
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 17th Apr 18, 2:38 PM
    • 5,616 Posts
    • 7,872 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Galapagos Difficult to get there cheaply

Been to Jordan (Petra) Israel (Bethlehem\Jerusalem)

Pitcairn-We fly over it

I'm taking the wife
    Does she follow you out of curiosity.....mine does?
    • bobbiz22
    • By bobbiz22 24th Apr 18, 3:49 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    bobbiz22
    I'm thinking about booking a last minute solo trip abroad for a few nights.
    All inclusive.
    Cocktails.
    Beach.
    Sea.
    Sand.
    Pool.

Or is it stupid of me to go away alone as a young female?
    I was looking at Turkey but I've heard some iffy things, has anyone been recently?
    • savvy
    • By savvy 24th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 29,835 Posts
    • 45,498 Thanks
    savvy
    Thinking about going back to Bansko for snowboarding again next year, last year was a blast.

As for this year......I'm gutted to say, it's all over Absolutely can't complain though, January was NYC at last and got to see all the Christmas lights and snowstorm End of February was back to Reykjavik, Iceland and finally got to see the Northern Lights and just got back from a birthday party at a motorbike camp in the depths of Bulgaria
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 24th Apr 18, 6:32 PM
    • 13,276 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    zagfles
    All inclusive.
    Cocktails.
    Beach.
    Sea.
    Sand.
    Pool.

I was looking at Turkey but I've heard some iffy things, has anyone been recently?
    Originally posted by bobbiz22
    It's not stupid to go away alone, loads of people do it including me and love it, and probably just as many women as men.

But I'd question the type of holiday. Typically AI hotels will cater for couples, families, and possibly groups of friends, generally people who'll keep themselves to themselves.

Unless you find one that specifically caters to singles, or you really don't mind having little social interaction on your holiday, I'd suggest using hostels which are far more single-traveller friendly and where you'll likely meet loads of single travellers. You can usually get a private room if you don't want a dorm. The vibe is just so much more friendly, people are far more willing to interact with strangers than in hotels, even those not travelling alone.

I've never felt lonely in hostels when travelling alone, I have in hotels.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 28th Apr 18, 10:33 PM
    • 4,928 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    All inclusive.
    Cocktails.
    Beach.
    Sea.
    Sand.
    Pool.

Originally posted by bobbiz22
    I've just gone and done that. Arranged a few extra days off work and booked a last minute AI trip to Turkey, 330 all in for 6 nights leaving on Wednesday. I normally would go to Portugal or Spain at this time of year but anywhere in Euroland was looking expensive and it was going to be around 300 for the flights alone.

I've never done AI in my life before - I usually prefer to do B&B or room only but for price it was hard to refuse. Even if the food is terrible (the TripAdvisor reviews are OK) and I end up eating out most of the time then it's still a decent price for flight, transfers, hotel and free beer.

I wouldn't worry about travelling alone. I'm not young nor female but I have been going on solo holidays for years (I have no friends...). It really is the best way to travel - you do exactly what you want, when you want, without having to take anyone else into consideration.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 29th Apr 18, 5:33 AM
    • 5,616 Posts
    • 7,872 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Where are you going Dosh?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

650Posts Today

6,623Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin