Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 23rd Dec 17, 6:58 AM
    • 1,109Posts
    • 4,223Thanks
    I Love comps
    Buying reduced items/discount items in 2018
    • 23rd Dec 17, 6:58 AM
    Buying reduced items/discount items in 2018 23rd Dec 17 at 6:58 AM
    I have decided to see how much I can actually save myself by trying to buy as much as possible in 2018, which is yellow stickered or reduced and keep a tally of the savings. Just to see how much I will save ;

I will start this on January 1st 2018
    Please join in if you would like to.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 4
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 24th Jan 18, 7:51 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 6,601 Thanks
    t14cy t
    whilst walking the dog this morning, the chap who delivers sandwiches etc to the local costcutter shop was throwing stuff in the normal public waste bin!!! just had to look!! throwing out 7 samosas, 4 sausage rolls and 6 pre filled sandwiches....glad I had a carrier bag stuffed in my pocket, would never of got them home otherwise. on closer inspection all items are still in date!!
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 25th Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 4,223 Thanks
    I Love comps
    My Husband brought home the other night from Tesco's;

Mini Strawberry Doughnuts 18 pk;
    Was 1.05 Now 00.10 Saving 95p
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 26th Jan 18, 8:31 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 6,601 Thanks
    t14cy t
    6 pre packed sandwiches and another samosa snaffled from the bin again this morning!! 2 days out of date, so dogs/chicken/ducks will have those!! I do hate waste!!
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 26th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    Irenadler
    6 pre packed sandwiches and another samosa snaffled from the bin again this morning!! 2 days out of date, so dogs/chicken/ducks will have those!! I do hate waste!!
    Originally posted by t14cy t
    Hi, never knew ducks liked samosa's, learn something every day! I agree with you, it's scary the amount of food that gets tossed away, especially when people are visiting food banks to make ends meet.

Not been at the YS front-line, but, delving in the freezer found a YS fish pie reduced from 2.50 to 1.88, so that was an old saving of 62p I'd forgotten I had... About 25% I think.

Need to gird my loins, and take up battle on the YS ramparts, so I can bring back my YS rewards with pride....

I might delve around the abyss of the freezer first to see what is lurking in there, if you are lucky (bored/absently straying across this thread/easily pleased) I will list it to find out what I have already spent/saved....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 26th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Hey, I am back....

Ok, here's what is lurking in the freezer:

Rump steak reduced from 3.10 to 2.02 = 1.08 saved
    8 tortilla wraps from 1.05 to 69p = 36p saved
    500g turkey mince from 3 to 2.34 = 66p saved
    Sliced mushrooms from 1.50 to 89p = 61p saved
    6 white bread rolls from 80p to 19p = 61p saved
    2 steak slices from 1 to 70p = 30p saved
    Steak pie for 2 from 5 to 2.10 = 2.90 saved
    Steak pie for 1 from 75p to 50p = 25p saved
    Bacon & leek quiche from 1.50 to 1.02 = 48p saved
    Spag bol from 2.30 to 59p = 1.69 saved
    Shepherds finest pie for 2 from 6 to 3.48 = 2.58 saved
    Egg fried rice for 1 from 1.50 to 1.12 = 38p saved
    Cajun chicken breast x 2 from 3.75 to 2.29 = 1.46 saved
    Vegan spice bakes x 2 from 2.50 to 1.52 = 98p saved
    Salmon fishcakes x 2 from 1.98 to 1.45 = 53p saved
    Bacon from 1.75 to 1.05 = 70p saved
    7 chipolata sausages from 2.03 to 1.32 = 71p saved
    8 chicken legs from 3 to 2.37 = 63p saved
    250g mini chicken fillets from 1.99 to 1.49 = 50p saved

Total retail = 44.50
    Total paid = 23.65

Total saved = 20.85 not quite 50%, but close!

That's if my maths is right. The variations in savings show the difference between shopping in the morning (after the first Yellow Sticker reduction), to shopping after 4 or 5pm in the week (2nd or 3rd YS reductions). Not a bad average.

This is spurring me on to gather more bargains, however, having done an inventory, I know I am ok for meat/pies and suchlike. Need more healthy stuff like vegetables/fruit (whatever is freezable) and accompaniments. Don't want to fall into the trap of hoarding more than I can eat as even frozen stuff has a use by date....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • timehastoldme
    • By timehastoldme 26th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    timehastoldme
    Yesterday picked up a 5.50 apple tart for 1.75 (would be annoyed if I'd paid full though, pastry was so dry), cooked chicken drumsticks 1.35 from 4.50 and a whole meal tin loaf for 39p from 1.39.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 30th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 38,868 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Another plant day at Morrison's . I did ask if there was a particular day, or a particular time but the staff said that it just depended....so, luck of the draw.
    Needless to say these are big savings but I have to say I wouldn't have bought them at full price! In other words I have been lured in to spend... but not a lot!!
    1 x Jacob's Ladder (Polemonium) - looks a bit bashed- 7 pence (1.37)
    1 x Alpine Ajuga-- 7 pence (1.37)
    4 pack of Tulip Guiseppi Verdi (actually 7 bulbs)- 10 pence (2.00)
    2 x Primrose Bowl - terracotta bowl with 3 primula- 20 pence each (4.00 each)
    3 x Christmas Cactus (what I know as Zygocactus) 2 x pink, 1 x red - 15 pence each (3 each)

The Christmas cactus do really well for me- they like easterly light.
    Outdoor plants are now outside. 3 primula in pot outside front door now

Grand Total cost of YS : 1.09
    full cost=21.74
    Saved 20.65
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2319 cc+.2205mm (2.20.5) + RK 5.21= 30.64.5
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 31st Jan 18, 4:26 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 38,868 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Today nada in Mr T _ too early
    But Local Co-op (not the Manchester one!) Chestnut mushrooms on offer @ 69 pence reduced to 17pence
    2 avocados in pack. Were 2.19 for 55 pence
    Many thanks

• Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 3rd Feb 18, 2:15 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 38,868 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Looks like Aldi reduces their stuff on the date.
    I bought a couple of items with a large red "50% off" reduction strip label yesterday. So seems they reduce things that day- but maybe not when the shop opens at 8am. I was shopping 10.30ish.
    Half price is fine by me, especially as it tends to be cheaper in the first place.

Their special buys are a different matter. It is certainly a case of being there at the right time. Twice, in the past I have bought items @ 75% off when it's been the very last one in stock.
    Many thanks

• t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 4th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 6,601 Thanks
    t14cy t
    better than a reduced stickers is freebies!! 2 bags grapefruits and 2 packs of gourmet lamb burgers collected as my brother picked them up by mistake and wont eat them!! 20 pies, 2 packs pork steak, bread and ham picked up from dil as she is clearing out her freezer, then to top off my good fortune, found 2 bottles of echo falls white wine unopened whilst out on a dog walk this morning!!! wowsers!!! xx
    • GooeyBlob
    • By GooeyBlob 4th Feb 18, 4:54 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    GooeyBlob
    One thing I like to do is pick up a couple of bags of prepared vegetables at the end of the day as there are often a few left. On Friday I bought a bag of chunky Mediterranean vegetables for 10p and a bag of butternut squash for 5p. They went in a big saucepan topped up with water and a stock cube, brought to the boil and simmered for 90 minutes. That did me 2 meals this weekend with a third portion in the freezer for later this week.
    Saved many thousands of pounds over the past decade by brewing my own booze.
    • Cat501
    • By Cat501 4th Feb 18, 6:04 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 7,107 Thanks
    Cat501
    Hello

It's a few years since I've been on here and a few years since I've done a YS trip but times are really tough! Trying to reduce my food shop to 40 or less for February, and picked up a few bargains in Mr T on Thursday night.

2 trays of sweet potato chips (usually 2.50 each)
    1 tray parmentier potatoes
    1 bag sprouts
    I cauliflower
    I bag grated carrot
    1 pot of fajita mix (peppers/red onions)
    2 pots of sliced red onion
    1 pot of sliced mixed peppers
    3 packs of celery hearts

All the above were 1p each Have used up a lot of the veg batch cooking lentil cottage pie, veg chilli, veg curry and pasta sauce over the weekend so if I can keep going in the same vein AND resist buying wine I might hit my target
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 4th Feb 18, 9:48 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 7,149 Thanks
    Ilona
    One thing I like to do is pick up a couple of bags of prepared vegetables at the end of the day as there are often a few left. On Friday I bought a bag of chunky Mediterranean vegetables for 10p and a bag of butternut squash for 5p. They went in a big saucepan topped up with water and a stock cube, brought to the boil and simmered for 90 minutes. That did me 2 meals this weekend with a third portion in the freezer for later this week.
    Originally posted by GooeyBlob
    Chuffin heck, 90 chuffin minutes. Mine are done in 20 minutes max.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 4th Feb 18, 9:54 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 38,868 Thanks
    Katiehound
    They went in a big saucepan topped up with water and a stock cube, brought to the boil and simmered for 90 minutes. .
    Originally posted by GooeyBlob
    Clearly al denture not al dente!!

But clearly a bargain- shame I couldn't eat the cheap plants I bought! Not sure how succulent Christmas cacti would have been!!
    Many thanks

• t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 5th Feb 18, 12:29 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 6,601 Thanks
    t14cy t
    did a reduced section spree yesterday afternoon in morrisons and Tesco, purely to snaffle bargains and top the freezer back up. yikes!! Tesco has changed there reducing timings! still managed to get a few bits though! between the 2 supermarkets I spent 11, and therefore saved 38! happy with my stash. xx
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Feb 18, 11:23 PM
    • 25,720 Posts
    • 54,583 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Brawl over YS at Asda
    I finally have something to contribute to this thread - if only by means of article: Police called to supermarket brawl after fight breaks out over reduced food.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 7th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Oh dear...

I have to say, that when I have managed to get anywhere near reduction time, I have only seen reasonable behaviour.... Kind of puts me off going to the later night ones!

I have an etiquette for it, which probably only exists in my head and no-one else's!
    Only buy what I like/need/will definitely use. And try to buy freezable stuff.
    Don't buy every single number of items if there's loads of one item. E.g. all the bread.
    Avoid too many ready meals/processed stuff.
    No elbows!
    I don't park my trolley right in front so everyone else is blocked out, either, park it to the side and have a delve. I have seen that happen.....

Hmmm, maybe that's why I don't get much!
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 7th Feb 18, 5:27 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 38,868 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I have an etiquette for it, which probably only exists in my head and no-one else's!
    Only buy what I like/need/will definitely use. And try to buy freezable stuff.
    Don't buy every single number of items if there's loads of one item. E.g. all the bread.
    Avoid too many ready meals/processed stuff.
    No elbows!
    I don't park my trolley right in front so everyone else is blocked out, either, park it to the side and have a delve. I have seen that happen.....
    Originally posted by Irenadler
    What, no sharpened elbows?? I think that is where you are missing out.
    I seem to remember some years ago there used to be fisticuffs in our local? Somerfield? Folk knew the time that reductions were made and they would loiter- with intent -when the poor trigger gun chap came to put the final stickers on.
    Many thanks

• t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 10th Feb 18, 7:34 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 6,601 Thanks
    t14cy t
    wowsers!! there is an unspoken rule to be polite in the reduced aisles over here! its nice to get a bargain but also nice to share!x
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 10th Feb 18, 8:32 AM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 7,149 Thanks
    Ilona
    I took the scenic route to the vet yesterday, it takes me through a village. Couldn't resist popping into the small Tesco and the Co op to see if there were any useful reductions. Nothing in Tesco, too early and not reduced enough for my liking. At the Co op, (orange stickers) I snaffled a pot of Greek style yogurt, was 1.35, down to 34p, and a pack or blueberries, was 2, for 99p.

I resisted buying anything else. Every little helps.

ilona
    I love skip diving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,601Posts Today

6,817Users online

Martin's Twitter