Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 22nd Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    • 208Posts
    • 688Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Coffee, Cake, Yarn - New Start
    • 22nd Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    Coffee, Cake, Yarn - New Start 22nd Dec 17 at 3:48 PM
    I've decided to edit this after a mess up of the figures. To cut a long story short I've been here before, paid off a lot, lived happily ever after, split with the ex, fell ill, and got myself in a pickle again. So here I am, new username, new diary, new dreams. Upfront warning, I over post

I'm a thirty something (cough) single-ish-ton who is determined that I won't hit 35 in debt. I will hit 35 travelling somewhere hot, pretty and PAID FOR IN CASH. Hobbies include Gin, Gym, Cake, Craft. Welcome, thanks for looking in!

My total debt is £26218.58.

My first focus is MBNA which started at £2385

My pots only include a fun pot and an emergency pot right now, in March a wee little payrise is coming, all the pots will happen then and budgeting can start properly. At that point I'll do a proper SOA for you all to see, in the mean time it's just a mission to earn as much extra as I can, and use the CC as little as possible (so far so good, nothing since early December!)

Pull up a pew, I'm in for a long ride...

Last edited by CoffeeCakeYarn; 16-02-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Page 6
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 9th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    MeenaM
    well done on the NSD and enjoy the slow cooker meal , those are delicious
    Sealed Pot 11. #199Next£1170Barclays Credit Card £4891.20/0- 0% ends April 2019 virgin 0% ends july 2020 £4138 3845.89AA Credit Card £860 0- 0% ends Dec 2017 Sainsburys Credit Card £521.27-0 0% ends Feb 2018 STARTED Nov 17AIM TO BE DEBT FREE JULY 2019Emergency Fund £614/£1000
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 9th Jan 18, 9:21 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Thanks Menna, I LOVE a pulled pork from the slow cooker. I love it more when 1.2kg of pork only cost £2 YS WINNER!

Plans have changed for this evening, got a friend round for dinner so pork has been moved back a day. It does mean I need to go pick up a few bits so won't be a NSD but will be a very low spend day.

2 days until car day, can't wait for it to be over!

No other exciting plans for the day. Work the work and all that.

Had another shoppix lurker, thank you

Have a good day all. xx
    PAY BACK THE FUN SPEND! £38.72/£137.67
    MBNA - £2233.51/£2385 - 6.35%
    Emergency Fund £26/£1000
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 9th Jan 18, 10:44 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    MeenaM
    best laid plans eh!

what is the shoppix lurker?i think i've missed that?
    Sealed Pot 11. #199Next£1170Barclays Credit Card £4891.20/0- 0% ends April 2019 virgin 0% ends july 2020 £4138 3845.89AA Credit Card £860 0- 0% ends Dec 2017 Sainsburys Credit Card £521.27-0 0% ends Feb 2018 STARTED Nov 17AIM TO BE DEBT FREE JULY 2019Emergency Fund £614/£1000
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 9th Jan 18, 11:47 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Indeed But it's nothing that won't keep, just said friend doesn't eat pork. A nice round £2.00 for bits for tonight, and there will be a few leftovers that I can use to spice up some meals later in the week. Self scan nectar points anxiety again, next time I'm just going to the till.

Shoppix is an app where you take pictures of shopping receipts, earn points, redeem for vouchers or paypal. I posted a referral code (shameless plug 2DSCUVUG - we both get 200 points if people use it ) and I've got three lots of referral bonus points, one has owned up (ta!) but the other two are a mystery...woooooo (spooky voice!)
    Emergency Fund £26/£1000
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 9th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Yep I am happy to have used the code, I got bonus points, Coffee got bonus points, I'm going to mention Shoppix on my diary and put my referral code to see if I get any mystery sign ups!!
    Total debt Dec 2017 £23090.83
    Ma7 2018 £3691.78 84.01% paid
    Emergency fund £150/£600
    Total Savings £1328.05
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 9th Jan 18, 5:03 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 8,637 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Might be worth posting your referral code and an explanation of shoppix on The Referrers Board too http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 9th Jan 18, 5:05 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Ooh Joey, I seem to be doing on shopprize but is it just sweepstakes that you can trade your coins in for, or can you cash them in when you get to a certain level? Sorry to hijack your thread coffee by the way
    Emergency fund £150/£600
    Total Savings £1328.05
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 9th Jan 18, 5:07 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 8,637 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Ooh Joey, I seem to be doing on shopprize but is it just sweepstakes that you can trade your coins in for, or can you cash them in when you get to a certain level? Sorry to hijack your thread coffee by the way
    Originally posted by Mumoffourkids
    When you get to 10000 you can trade them for £5 Amazon - there are supposed to be new options coming along but there haven't been. it's a slow build but I got about £40 last year.
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 9th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Yay! Thanks again

Early sign off from me today as busy evening gym and dinner coming up.

Sold an item on ebay for £1, just waiting for the payment lol. Baby baby steps! Few points few pounds again on surveys, added to the car pot. Only two more sleeps, yay!

In the interest of full disclosure, I have committed to a newspaper cheap holiday later on in the year, so something to save for and something to look forward to. I've done these before with my friends and the littles, they are always cheap (everyone brings a meal, BYOB, no expensive activities) and just such a lovely way to spend quality time together as a group, there's usually 15 ish of us together, that we don't get very often, that I struggled to say no. Put me on the naughty step. But it's just spurred me on to work harder to pay for it, because this is one of those things that, to me, really matters. The littles won't stay little forever. I do feel a little bad But at least it's not 2 weeks in Spain!

Have a good evening all xx
    Emergency Fund £26/£1000
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 9th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Originally posted by Mumoffourkids

Not at all, it's what it's here for
    Emergency Fund £26/£1000
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 9th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Don't feel bad about a cheapy holiday. It gives you something to look forward to. I have two rugby tours booked for this year with the kids. Only a long weekend each but the atmosphere is fantastic and the kids play rugby all weekend!

Enjoy the gym and your dinner.
    Emergency fund £150/£600
    Total Savings £1328.05
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 10th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Morning all!

Achey mcachey today, so happy to be back at the gym! It's going really well I'm so surprised, I thought my fitness levels would be ruined having not really done much for 7/8 months, but they aren't! Few little niggles with the surgery site, but I think it's just muscles that have been cut being worked. YAY. Friend turned up with cake last night, and dinner was a hit, nom. Yesterday was a good day, sometimes it really is the little things!

Had a think about the holibob, I'm happy to do it. I will do a big batch of something (usually get requests for a lasagne), take my own snacks, pay the £20 for accommodation, it's only a short ish drive from us, and enjoy it. I'll save the cash before we go and set myself a limit. It'll be lovely to look forward to, last year was such a wash out, I missed two of these due to being ill and I was gutted. As long as I budget for some spending money it's going to be fine. I can't shut myself indoors for two years whilst I'm on this journey, I just need to be sensible about it.

Busy day at work on the cards today so trying to fit some penny making in now!

Phone people have my phone but haven't decided how much they want to give me for it. Positive thoughts please

Sold an ebay item last night, total profit minus fees and post = £0.98 hahaha.....

Happy Wednesday xx
    Emergency Fund £26/£1000
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 10th Jan 18, 11:04 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    £54 for the phone!!!
    Emergency Fund £26/£1000
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 10th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 8,637 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Ebay can be ridiculous, I guess you just have to think its almost £1 that you didn't have before. And see the funny side obviously.
    Good news about the phone money though - a bit less to worry about for the car.
    And regarding the holiday - I think a treat, and an affordable one, is absolutely the way to go. Having done it before, you know how much it is likely to cost so you can put money aside (perhaps another little challenge along the lines of finding that £20 this month?). Or do tilly tidies from your bank account (s) into a separate pot to 'find' the money - or save 20p or £2 coins. Or find another money spinner just to fund that holiday - have you done Slice the Pie for example - writing music reviews of mostly unreleased music. I could refer you if you like but don't worry if you don't want to or just want to get on with it yourself.
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 10th Jan 18, 4:05 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Joey - Slice of pie sounds right up my street! Thank you! And a little different from writing exciting copy about bingo websites on textbroker I'm totally up for the challenge of finding the extra pennies from additional earnings. I was going to keep my earnings from one of the survey sites aside specifically for it, great minds think alike. My mind set at the moment is the more I can earn, the less of my real wages I actually spend. I'd managed £50 odd for the car this month (well, since 22nd December, last payday), and although I didn't top up my weekly budget I just decided to let it run, I smashed the £20 target for the month. I'd love a referral if you wouldn't mind.

Ebay is a funny old game, great way to de clutter and yup, it's all money I didn't have before, it just does make me do a smiley eye roll when someone buys something and I earn a quid. But then I think hold up, ten of those = £10, not to be sniffed at! Got a quiet weekend planned so going to wiz through the flat again and see if I can find some more bits to put up. Must be ruthless!

Car fund currently stands at £108.30 which is defo enough for the filter and the hire car, even if I needed the hire car for 4 days. So a dent indeed, just need all the good vibes. There is still a possibility that the repair will be covered under the warranty, but I can't even dare to hope for that outcome because I will cry when I get a £700 bill if I do. Better to be prepared.

Weekly budget is going well with the help of Saturday no spend and the nectar points. Currently got £96.05 left, but £40 of that will be petrol so £56.05. Tons of meat in the freezer still that I'm eating through, nectar points helping with the top up shop, and 18 days until my new budget month begins. CAN DO THIS!

But I need to get bin bags and some fruity nut snacks from the shop, I'm just trying to hold off as long as possible to build up the nectar points a little more before I do.

I also need to stick the car through the cheapo wash tonight because I am ashamed to take it to the garage covered in as much muck as it currently is. So not an NSD today but again, a very low spend.

I'm happy today, the phone money has lifted me and I feel like even though I'm not making inroads to my debt right now, I'm also not mindlessly adding to it either! I'm really making a lot of changes to my mind set, and tomorrow expense aside, I feel very in control.

Quiet evening tonight, YS pork, Surveys and craft. Maybe a bath.
    Last edited by CoffeeCakeYarn; 10-01-2018 at 4:07 PM.
    Emergency Fund £26/£1000
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 10th Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 8,637 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    PM sent re Slice the pie
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 10th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Wow that's good on the phone. I just got my daughter's old phone so I looked at what my old phone would fetch. I think the highest was about £13! I decided to keep it as we don't currently have a spare!

Yes eBay can be silly at times. Some of the things I have sold in the past have gone for far more than I expected and then some other things have sold for hardly anything. I sold one of the kids toys that cost a fortune the other day for £12 so after fees I got around £10. I just thought it was sitting my garage doing nothing and I was thinking about giving it away so £10 is better than nothing.

Sending good vibes for the car. I feel the same just before my car goes in for any work. It is 12 years old now and I dread mot time if the year. Let's hope your car isn't too much of a moment.
    Emergency fund £150/£600
    Total Savings £1328.05
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 11th Jan 18, 9:32 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Morning all! Exactly Mumoffour, I've sold empty perfume bottles for almost the cost of a full one, it's crazy bananas!

Car is in. Been told it's going to be a minimum of £219, they will call and update when they know more. Anxiety is a little high over it if I'm honest lol.

Nothing exciting to report at the moment, quiet night last night, early to bed I was worn out! Didn't end up spending anything though as I got to the car wash and realised I forgot my purse, how MSE of me. So the garage will just have to deal with the dirt, ooopesy.

Need some frozen fruit and a cucumber so will pop to either sainsbos or alde today. I want to go Mr S to use the nectar points but I'm conflicted because I know that it's more expensive. Hmm. Gym tonight car depending, if I can pick it up today no gym. Kinda hoping for no gym to be honest because I'm feeling a little lazy bones today More YS pork for dinner. It's like groundhog day haha.

Happy Thursday all xx
    Emergency Fund £26/£1000
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 11th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Just remembered, I don't need fruity nutty snacky bits as my free graze box is coming today, yippee! Off to cancel it now before they charge
    Emergency Fund £26/£1000
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 11th Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    • 646 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Oooh I do love a freebie. Good job you remembered before going out to buy stuff.

I am stalking the freebie boards on here and have already requested a few bits. I always do my eldest a little bag with make-up and toiletries bits and pieces in for her birthday and Christmas. I had an idea about trying to get the bits for free instead of paying for them. Her birthday is in May so I am trying to get as many free bits as possible!

Hopefully the car won't be too painful today.
    Emergency fund £150/£600
    Total Savings £1328.05
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,012Posts Today

8,411Users online

Martin's Twitter