Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaun1234ss
    • By shaun1234ss 22nd Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    shaun1234ss
    0 WOW
    Any chance of any refund
    • 22nd Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Any chance of any refund 22nd Dec 17 at 2:47 PM
    lliopipipiopi
    Last edited by shaun1234ss; 11-01-2018 at 4:48 PM. Reason: l
Page 1
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 22nd Dec 17, 5:33 PM
    • 6,252 Posts
    • 6,709 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 22nd Dec 17, 5:33 PM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 5:33 PM
    Have you written to them since to see what they say ?

I think in the circustances the offer of a bnb was pretty good.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 22nd Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,426 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 22nd Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    You were offered something else and chose not to take it.

Your whole day was not ruined. Your choice to stay in a freezing lodge did that.

You might get money off a future stay if you complain, but what you describe is beyond the control of the holiday provider.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 22nd Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    • 5,342 Posts
    • 4,521 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 22nd Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    I booked a weekend away through Hoseasons to stay at Bassenthwaite Lakeside Lodges a few weeks back. On the Sunday afternoon the gas supply went off to the park (don't know what the issue was or who was liable for the problem, is the park ever liable or would it always be the gas supplier? does anyone know who supplies the gas here?). We had done a 15 mile walk and were not packed at all with a view to cook our meal in the lodge. We were offered a room at a bnb nearby but this doesn't compare to a lodge with a hot tub, not to mention the food we had bought to cook and eat. Plus we had our dog with us and he doesn't settle straight away and had hurt his leg a bit that day so didn't want to move him (he's fine now btw). Therefore we stayed the night and it was freezing that night (was in minus degrees) in the morning the water pipes had frozen so no running cold water either. Now I'm not big into complaining and I didn't/don't expect the world as things happen, but I thought we would be entitled to the cost of one nights stay to simply compensate for the whole day being ruined and having barely any amenities that we payed for, available to us. I was offered nothing else but told they are not liable. Thought this sector had at least a minimum amount of basic customer service and was capable of doing the right thing. Being told it's simply tough luck and we have to bare the cost seems wrong. Note: no extra electric heater supplied as others had taken them all.

Any advice appreciated.
    Originally posted by shaun1234ss

shoulda slept in the hot tub
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 24th Dec 17, 7:40 PM
    • 4,788 Posts
    • 3,588 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:40 PM
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:40 PM
    We had done a 15 mile walk and were not packed at all with a view to cook our meal in the lodge. We were offered a room at a bnb nearby but this doesn't compare to a lodge with a hot tub, not to mention the food we had bought to cook and eat.

Where were you intending to cook and et this food if you were not packed with a view to cook your meal in the lodge?
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 25th Dec 17, 9:58 PM
    • 3,899 Posts
    • 4,956 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    • 25th Dec 17, 9:58 PM
    • 25th Dec 17, 9:58 PM
    You were offered something else and chose not to take it.

Your whole day was not ruined. Your choice to stay in a freezing lodge did that.

You might get money off a future stay if you complain, but what you describe is beyond the control of the holiday provider.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    Utterly irrelevant whose fault it was.

The OP had a contract with the lodge owners. The lodge owners failed to fulfil their side of the contract; their own contract with the gas suppliers isn't the concern of the OP.

Unless the alternative accommodation was the same standard with the same facilities (which it sounds very much like it wasn't, since it had no hot tub) then that was still a breach of contract.

I think a refund of a single nights costs is the minimum the company should be offering.
    • redpete
    • By redpete 26th Dec 17, 9:55 AM
    • 4,257 Posts
    • 3,785 Thanks
    redpete
    • 26th Dec 17, 9:55 AM
    • 26th Dec 17, 9:55 AM
    You might be due compensation but careful how you argue your case. Remember that you turned down the alternative accommodation, your dog's bad leg and inability to settle is irrelevant (after all, you took him to a holiday lodge in the first place so can't be that bad), who supplies gas to the park is irrelevant- your contract for a lodge with gas supply is with the park owners.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 26th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 6,252 Posts
    • 6,709 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 26th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 26th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    I think a refund of a single nights costs is the minimum the company should be offering.
    Originally posted by ThumbRemote
    The OP paid for a facility with a hot tub, heating, facilities for cooking and sleeping. It's unclear from the original post how much of that was unavailable due to the lack of gas but it wasn't everything (and although I agree that there should be a partial refund for the lack of a hot tub if the lack of gas meant it wasn't heated, I do wonder if anyone would seriously intend to use a hot tub in outside temperatures under freezing anyhow ?)
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 26th Dec 17, 2:49 PM
    • 3,899 Posts
    • 4,956 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    • 26th Dec 17, 2:49 PM
    • 26th Dec 17, 2:49 PM
    The OP paid for a facility with a hot tub, heating, facilities for cooking and sleeping. It's unclear from the original post how much of that was unavailable due to the lack of gas but it wasn't everything (and although I agree that there should be a partial refund for the lack of a hot tub if the lack of gas meant it wasn't heated, I do wonder if anyone would seriously intend to use a hot tub in outside temperatures under freezing anyhow ?)
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    Yes, they booked a lodge with all of those facilities. The core feature is the hot tub; if they'd wanted basic accommodation they could have booked a Premier Inn or some such. A partial refund is patently unfair on the customer as they didn't want a basic lodge, nor did they have the choice to book the hot tub separately, the lodge with hot tub was a single thing booked and not provided.

And many people will book and use hot tubs in sub zero temperatures. That's one of the great things about them.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 26th Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 6,252 Posts
    • 6,709 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Yes, they booked a lodge with all of those facilities. The core feature is the hot tub; if they'd wanted basic accommodation they could have booked a Premier Inn or some such. A partial refund is patently unfair on the customer as they didn't want a basic lodge, nor did they have the choice to book the hot tub separately, the lodge with hot tub was a single thing booked and not provided.

And many people will book and use hot tubs in sub zero temperatures. That's one of the great things about them.
    The OP hasn't confirmed that the lack of gas supply prevented the hot tub working though. There's no suggestion that the elctricity supply was affected.
    • shaun1234ss
    • By shaun1234ss 1st Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shaun1234ss
    The electricity was working, there was no gas. No gas meant no boiler, no heating, no shower, no hob to cook. You had to shower then use hot tub and shower after use. Hot tub still worked but couldn't use as the lodge was freezing and no shower. I was offered money off a future stay after raising my points. They informed me they are not liable for these things happening basically. Of which, I am unsure if this is true
    Last edited by shaun1234ss; 01-01-2018 at 10:52 PM.
    • shaun1234ss
    • By shaun1234ss 1st Jan 18, 10:48 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shaun1234ss
    Utterly irrelevant whose fault it was.

The OP had a contract with the lodge owners. The lodge owners failed to fulfil their side of the contract; their own contract with the gas suppliers isn't the concern of the OP.

Unless the alternative accommodation was the same standard with the same facilities (which it sounds very much like it wasn't, since it had no hot tub) then that was still a breach of contract.

This is was my thinking exactly, I far from wanted a full refund, simply one night was all I thought was fair as I know it wasn't their incompetence (well I hope not). I currently only have an offer of 20% off a future booking, not that I would ever return there out of sheer principle now.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 6th Jan 18, 9:08 PM
    • 9,380 Posts
    • 57,704 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    This is was my thinking exactly, I far from wanted a full refund, simply one night was all I thought was fair as I know it wasn't their incompetence (well I hope not). I currently only have an offer of 20% off a future booking, not that I would ever return there out of sheer principle now.
    Originally posted by shaun1234ss

If you're not intending to return would you be willing to offer the 20% code? I'd love it.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,501Posts Today

7,111Users online

Martin's Twitter