Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 22nd Dec 17, 11:01 AM
    • 14,999Posts
    • 99,055Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Time to mend and make do, beg, borrow and barter.
    • 22nd Dec 17, 11:01 AM
    Time to mend and make do, beg, borrow and barter. 22nd Dec 17 at 11:01 AM
    Hello lovely MSE angels.

I've been around for a while and know the small MSE ways lead to big changes in lifestyle. I'm so lucky I found you all when I did way back in the beginning of time!

I had started a new 'adventure' diary but this years events have shifted the focus from those for now to a bit more of a 'primal' focus on living very frugally, to accommodate unexpected and unavoidable shifts in expenses for the foreseeable.

As today is 'housekeeping budget day' I figured its a good a day as any to start this month afresh and try and move my mindset.

I have a fair bit of debt still but the main issues for me are pesky over drafts and a credit card which crept up whilst I was otherwise occupied. Its in the signature below.

This diary is to focus and hone my rusty MSE skills to the front and really live with what we have, make do with what we can, borrow or beg favours where needed, and barter ourselves where we can, there's no shame in asking for help once in a while!

We've two in our household both working f/t, plus two grown up flown the coup for now younglings - off adventuring (uni and gap year type shennanigans), a lovely DH, two pesky mutts (one quite unexpectedly terminally poorly) and a severe lack of chickens in our lives right now. Must sort that in the new year. My mother is quite poorly with an unexpected, terminal diagnosis, so I'm looking to juggle my very accommodating job with helping with her care and treatment.

We live well, but we could live a whole lot better with less, and support others more in the process.

Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 22-12-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£0, Overdraft 2 £1000/£1000 , Cancelled
    Credit Card 1 = £0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/925
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek:
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925
Page 4
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 3rd Jan 18, 12:56 PM
    • 8,179 Posts
    • 40,573 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Yikes indeed But worth it to keep you toasty warm Hope you don't have a leak though, that would be most vexing. We're going onto an LPG tank when we move so I'll be waiting with interest/baited breath to see how much that is going to cost us Quite possibly less than here as the boiler is 20 years newer and far more efficient, and there's a THERMOSTAT which we are very excited about turning down Here we just have to switch the heating on, then wait til we get too hot and turn it back down again

Poor old RG. Hope he's feeling better soon and revives a little with chicken soup. Mind you, if he's not eating temporarily at least that's saving a bit on the food budget!

I'm busy snaffling leftovers from last night's dinner party for my lunch Most tasty - two types of curry, home made hummous and coleslaw and a bit of cheese that was crumbly cos it came out of the freezer (and before that came free from somewhere ) Dinner last night was also a resounding success as it was largely compiled from leftovers from new years eve dinner

All gone now sadly

Keep thinking about you in relation to chickens One of the first jobs on my list when we move is to find a suitable space, build some kind of suitable house and get my name on the rescue list
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = £558.25
    • starnac
    • By starnac 3rd Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 5,256 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    starnac
    I was looking at a fab house the other day on r!ghtm0ve with a fab garden for chickens. It made me want to move so much.

You are so lucky x
    Savings £1000
    Overpayments made £0/£1208.15
    Make £2018 in 2018 #70 £498/£2018
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 3rd Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,055 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Aunty wik has a LPG cheery I shall do some research for you. I think she got a few good offers of deals when they moved in. Will keep you posted - your leftovers sound yum btw and I MUST get chooks sorted again. I feel so guilty leaving them alone all day.......its one reason why I've not done it again so far but I love them.

Took elder hound (druged-space-cadet-dug) out for a meargre stroll - I'm going to phone vets re anti-blood pressure meds and pain killers and see if he really needs to be **SO** medicated, I don't want him in pain, but my lord he's out of it. If that's good, then grand, if not lets reduce things a wee bitty. Younger mutt is NOT a fan of these short bursts - must make the effort to sort him a long one soon.

I'm not feeling 100% tbh not like DH but I'm tired, so taking it easier than normal.

Have a plan b re mithers treament if required lets hope I'm just post traumatically exhausted cos of skiing and guest arriving just when we did.

Pumpkin is a roasted.

Got bottled gas when out £30
    £9.54 spent at Coop himself requested some bits of food we didn't have, and cornflakes as he's ill, I had no beef with that, I'd rather he ate - I had a 10/£1 off voucher so bulked the spends up by doubling up on cornflakes and store things = £12 spend with co-op points off and a £1 voucher - got milk for work too so will claim back £1 for that - so hopefully an £8.54 spend milk/cupboard stuff, all good although I'd not expected to spend today.

Soup is ready to construct and I did two loads washing with kitchen stove on that should be dry later.

I'll sort meals for tomorrow, later.

Big win today was putting water and some oatcakes in the car which meant, I didn't buy a drink when out and had an unexpected walk powered by an oatcake or two from the stores.

Beans and leftover roasties for lunch - half tin stashed in fridge. I love baked beans - anyone ever made their own? Cannae be that hard surely.

Right DD gave me HFW books at chrimbo - off for a read for some inspiration.

I really liked the Revolut card when we were away and found it super easy to use and monitor spends. So I thought last night - I have it for free and its instantaenous updating spends so I'm going to use it for the household spends. I've loaded £180 onto it - thinking 200 of the 300 budget minus £20 blown on cold/chest drugs yesterday. I'll keep 100 in bank for cleaner etc. We shouldn't have any charges using it and its easy to put the money back. I think for me maybe going food shopping (my real vice) with a preloaded card in my pocket with my total food budget in it, will make me think twice......here's hoping. Used this card for the gas too as that's also household.

I hadn't expected it to be so useful so we'll see.
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 3rd Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,055 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    I was looking at a fab house the other day on r!ghtm0ve with a fab garden for chickens. It made me want to move so much.

You are so lucky x
    Originally posted by starnac
    One day me dear, if you want it, it will happen, although you and I both know chooks need more love than too much acres x

Hope you've not all blown away doon there.... stay safe.
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 3rd Jan 18, 7:09 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,055 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Evening all

Chips for tea with lashings of bread and butter. himself managed to eat a plateful with leftover pulled pork and gravy - progress dear hearts.

Pumpkin soup is ready to whizz and the washing is almost dry. Work clothes are prepped and I'm half way through making me 'snap' as dear greying would say. DH is going nowhere - so means I have a bit of an easier morning as I've no mutts to pack up for taking to the garden.

I've been reading up UFM and its making me ponder greatly - what do I want out of life - health and happy is up there. Right now that's a big focus. Otherwise, I just don't know, we live where we love. I'd like to travel more, otherwise I'm kinda sorted and I know I'm lucky. I'm still pondering.

Another ponder in this wee patch is I have a set of shares (had no clue I had them took a wee insurance/pension payment out when i was 21) which matured last year. I've not sold them and they would clear the OD and perhaps some of the CC. I'm having a look at this - whilst its unexpectedly nice to have a wee windfall - why have savings/shares if you've got debt you're paying for? See Martin is still in there.

Off to read more UFM.

One things struck me today (see you don't leave me home alone for long) - if I took the wee car when I go with mither to the hospital it eats so much less petrol than DH's larger car.

off for a read.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    • 54,939 Posts
    • 219,332 Thanks
    beanielou
    I would sell them & put it to the OD.
    No point in them sitting there doing nowt.
    Just my opinion.

I am thinking of selling my old engagement ring.Pondering.

LOts of positive vibes for your wee maw.
    MOre positive vibes for your wee doggie friend.
    Take care of you too.
    Hope you can get the bonus malarky sorted oot too. xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • starnac
    • By starnac 3rd Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 5,256 Posts
    • 24,684 Thanks
    starnac
    Firstly I'd like to say that I think I would sell the shares too. It would make your short term circumstances much easier for you.

Secondly yay to TRG eating today

And lastly this....

I've been reading up UFM and its making me ponder greatly - what do I want out of life - health and happy is up there. Right now that's a big focus. Otherwise, I just don't know, we live where we love. I'd like to travel more, otherwise I'm kinda sorted and I know I'm lucky. I'm still pondering..
    Originally posted by Pippilongstocking
    This is lovely to read. The fact that you are struggling to think how you can improve on your life is a good struggle to have. You sound contented here
    Savings £1000
    Overpayments made £0/£1208.15
    Make £2018 in 2018 #70 £498/£2018
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 3rd Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 14,005 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Since we are voting...

I too would sell and pay off the debts (OD)

xxx
    1 YEAR & 7 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Juggling the pots to keep in the black!
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 4th Jan 18, 10:00 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    troglodyte
    OK call me slow but - what's UFM? I seem to have missed something somewhere.

And yes, I agree, right now there's no point worrying about debt if you can pay it off. Maybe the news came just now for a reason. I would sell the shares unless you think they are likely to rocket in value in the near future. Pay off the debt and then, whatever you would have paid in interest payments on that debt (did you say £20 a month?) you can feed that into some sort of investment instead.
    • urg123
    • By urg123 4th Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    • 1,988 Posts
    • 9,530 Thanks
    urg123

And yes, I agree, right now there's no point worrying about debt if you can pay it off. Maybe the news came just now for a reason. I would sell the shares unless you think they are likely to rocket in value in the near future. Pay off the debt and then, whatever you would have paid in interest payments on that debt (did you say £20 a month?) you can feed that into some sort of investment instead.
    Originally posted by troglodyte

I thought it was just me as I've been out of the loop for a while !! Please do let me know - I hate feeling like I've missed out.

Re the shares - what kind of dividends have they given in the past? i.e. could they reasonably provide a little income?
    Also, are you due dividends for over the years that you had the shares - what happened to these since you were 21?
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 8,179 Posts
    • 40,573 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    UFM is uber frugal month - a challenge being run on the Frugalwoods blog (just google Frugalwoods and it will come up). Pippi, Greying and I are all taking it, and probably others on here too
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 4th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 628 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    troglodyte
    Thank you Cheery! I just checked it out and read a few of her blog posts. Sounds right up my street - in fact I could have written several of those (like deciding what you want in life, saving money by substituting, re-thinking what you really need...) except of course she did write them, and I didn't. Mmmm, maybe I should get my finger out and actually write something too!
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 4th Jan 18, 4:05 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,055 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    I would sell them & put it to the OD.
    No point in them sitting there doing nowt.
    Just my opinion.

I am thinking of selling my old engagement ring.Pondering.

LOts of positive vibes for your wee maw.
    MOre positive vibes for your wee doggie friend.
    Take care of you too.
    Hope you can get the bonus malarky sorted oot too. xx
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thank you me dear on all counts - what an utterly miserable day today. Bleurgh.

How are you feeling about letting go of that ring - I'd only do it if you'd not regret it later - I'm not sentimental as such but if you've not a huge heart tug for it, maybe its time? hugs lovely its a hard one.

Shares yes a much easier decision - seems sensible to just change effectively a piece of paper into something solid to reduce the debts.

Turns out I wasn't the only victim of garden-bonus-bouncing, our whole team were and we've taken it to our not quite new boss who's quite frankly furious.

Firstly I'd like to say that I think I would sell the shares too. It would make your short term circumstances much easier for you.

Secondly yay to TRG eating today

And lastly this....

This is lovely to read. The fact that you are struggling to think how you can improve on your life is a good struggle to have. You sound contented here
    Originally posted by starnac
    Aw thanks lovely on all accounts, he's officially got influenza A seemingly there's a good 40 cases of it around about. Maybe he didn't catch it at the airport after all. We've been very careful and the Dr thinks its unlikely to cause me ma any probs as I'd be showing signs by now......so I'm on for tomorrow but likely stay with an uninfected pal tonight just in case.

Since we are voting...

I too would sell and pay off the debts (OD)

xxx
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Thirded so that's a majority so far the company are named after your homelands, I thought you'd be more sentimental
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 4th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,055 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking

Originally posted by troglodyte
    Sorry for confusing you all CHEERY has sorted you out - I thought I'd said it. The shares are really middle of the road portfolio in a low risk so not really much in the way of variation in prices. It was £20 roughly a month on payments yes so once I'm sorted it all helps eh.

I thought it was just me as I've been out of the loop for a while !! Please do let me know - I hate feeling like I've missed out.

Re the shares - what kind of dividends have they given in the past? i.e. could they reasonably provide a little income?
    Also, are you due dividends for over the years that you had the shares - what happened to these since you were 21?
    Originally posted by urg123
    Hey thankfully Cheery has saved the day. The shares turned up in a weird letter a while back I've had three statements and nothing much has changed tbh. Low value, low risk investment, relatively no movement, so not much to report. Since I was 21 so much has happened but not sure how much was share related

UFM is uber frugal month - a challenge being run on the Frugalwoods blog (just google Frugalwoods and it will come up). Pippi, Greying and I are all taking it, and probably others on here too
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    I do enjoy the way she writes Cheery and Trog agree there's a fair bit I knew and would have thought about and a wee few bits I'd not found solutions to, so I'm enjoying the thinking.

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 8,179 Posts
    • 40,573 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I went back and read the whole Frugalwoods blog from the beginning Excellent fun, so cheery to see them saving and saving and saving - and then finally buying their lovely big place out in the woods Inspiring stuff

Yesterday I was doing the exercises about where I wanted to be in 10 years or so - wouldn't it be lovely to have paid the mortgage off?? You know, that 25 year mortgage that we haven't technically taken out yet? Just had a play with the overpayment calculator and we can make it... if we OVERPAY by £1000 a month

Might need another plan Mr Cheery's going to have to write us a hit record or something

Poor old OH Sounds proper nasty! Also sounds sensible to stay in an uninfected zone tonight... xx
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 4th Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,055 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Well Cheery - I'm approaching my 10 year MSE anniversary at the end of the month and its amazing how hard we've all worked and are finding our feet. And, therefore how long we've all been chums

I'm up for buying that hit record tell him to get a wriggle on.

Emailed share folks to find out HOW to sell/redeem them. I've less than 20 sitting at around £61 each - so we'll see. Its hardly high investment banking, but my 21 year old self obviously was looking out for future Pips. Jolly good.

SO tea was some leftovers - tatties and cabbage. Yummy it was too. Side of beans, and it was lush. DH had some leftover lamb ragu.

Lunch was leftover wing salad and flat bread. Miso soup. All grand.

Brekkie - porrige, what else I had it raw, couldnae be bothered to cook it. Lazy moo.

All from the stores.

£5.27 on the way home for supplies for the sick one, juice and some wee extras, poor fella.

So household spends are up to £66.44 my oh my what am I playing at. Although £30 of that is gas and £20 was cold meds/etc. so really really its **cough** only £16.44 on food but its only the 4th.

Some UFM (Uber Frugal Month) example I am..........:P although I promise to try harder, aside the spends for the sick one.

Picnic for the car packed from the stores, sticky toffee pud portioned up for mum'/bro - one in the freezer.

I've water and snacks in my bag for the hosp too. DH is in house isolation so I've just stayed home. But my bro offered me a bed - I am just a bit tired to do that tonight - checked the weather will manage the drive in the am and 'I-cannae-believe-I'm-up-o-clock'.

So not much UFM progress - although the email about 'How to stop impulse spending'

Essentially aside life and death meds (and juice and sweets today :P) you give yourself 72 hours cooling off period on spends.

Now I do this on larger spends - for a long time now. For food spends I don't. And, I know this is an area of fripperifoulourous spends for me.

Will try harder on this one from today apart from the poorly one's needs for swizzels.

No real gains on mend, make do, borrowing, begging, or bartering today, but that's OK it was first day back at work.

Smaller car packed for tomorrow - uses less petrol and wee mither is, erm, wee, so nae probs there. Tomorrow is free parking, free coffee and a free lunch, although as she has said, its not a cafe we'd LIKE to be going to for a free lunch, but for now, we'll rock up. The nurses are ace and the volunteers prolific with the cuppas and home bakes, lovely that they are.

Off to check the banks! Then its sleep time.
    Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 04-01-2018 at 10:02 PM.
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 4th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 14,999 Posts
    • 99,055 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    £5.27 paid off the CC as the odds were bugging me. I've borrowed it from elder hounds budget this month, here's hoping he doesn't miss it. SO that's down to 1720.00 ace.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Jan 18, 9:56 PM
    • 54,939 Posts
    • 219,332 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great.
    The odds always bug me too.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 4th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 14,005 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Pips - yer green light is still on! - git yerself into bed woman or you'll be cursing those we hours of the morn more than you should!
    xxx
    1 YEAR & 7 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Juggling the pots to keep in the black!
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 5th Jan 18, 9:32 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    troglodyte
    I went back and read the whole Frugalwoods blog from the beginning Excellent fun, so cheery to see them saving and saving and saving - and then finally buying their lovely big place out in the woods Inspiring stuff

Yesterday I was doing the exercises about where I wanted to be in 10 years or so - wouldn't it be lovely to have paid the mortgage off?? You know, that 25 year mortgage that we haven't technically taken out yet? Just had a play with the overpayment calculator and we can make it... if we OVERPAY by £1000 a month
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff

Wow, how long did it take to read the entire blog? I've just read three or four posts this morning and have already spent an hour that I should have been getting on with work! I did want to read some of the earlier posts though, to see how it all started.

On the mortgage front though- it's surprising how far you can get if you just keep chipping away at it, so don't give up!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,846Posts Today

8,079Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin