Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 22nd Dec 17, 11:01 AM
    • 15,006Posts
    • 99,123Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Time to mend and make do, beg, borrow and barter.
    • 22nd Dec 17, 11:01 AM
    Time to mend and make do, beg, borrow and barter. 22nd Dec 17 at 11:01 AM
    Hello lovely MSE angels.

I've been around for a while and know the small MSE ways lead to big changes in lifestyle. I'm so lucky I found you all when I did way back in the beginning of time!

I had started a new 'adventure' diary but this years events have shifted the focus from those for now to a bit more of a 'primal' focus on living very frugally, to accommodate unexpected and unavoidable shifts in expenses for the foreseeable.

As today is 'housekeeping budget day' I figured its a good a day as any to start this month afresh and try and move my mindset.

I have a fair bit of debt still but the main issues for me are pesky over drafts and a credit card which crept up whilst I was otherwise occupied. Its in the signature below.

This diary is to focus and hone my rusty MSE skills to the front and really live with what we have, make do with what we can, borrow or beg favours where needed, and barter ourselves where we can, there's no shame in asking for help once in a while!

We've two in our household both working f/t, plus two grown up flown the coup for now younglings - off adventuring (uni and gap year type shennanigans), a lovely DH, two pesky mutts (one quite unexpectedly terminally poorly) and a severe lack of chickens in our lives right now. Must sort that in the new year. My mother is quite poorly with an unexpected, terminal diagnosis, so I'm looking to juggle my very accommodating job with helping with her care and treatment.

We live well, but we could live a whole lot better with less, and support others more in the process.

Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 22-12-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    Overdraft 1 1000/0, Overdraft 2 1000/1000 , Cancelled
    Credit Card 1 = 0, Credit Card 2 2710.57/925
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 5755.40 eek:
    Total debt 26/4/18 <1925
Page 16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Jun 18, 7:51 PM
    • 55,428 Posts
    • 222,275 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am good thanks.
    My DS was a best man a couple of weeks ago & looked awesome in his kilt.
    Hoping he might want to wear one for his next graduation
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 26th Jun 18, 10:39 PM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 8,385 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    I have holibobs coming up soon, so myself and the wee furrybum will definitely be coming over for a visit
    The wee dug is looking forward to adventuring in the gardens (and on the beaches too)
    It's been a long, long time since I visited "The Kingdom"...
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 27th Jun 18, 6:49 AM
    • 15,006 Posts
    • 99,123 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Great stuff Beanie - they do scrub up well don't they.

Uncanny - the Kingdom is indeed braw. I wasn't sure if I'd like it as much as up north but I like it more I think.

We had visitors from the windy lands and I found their frustrations with some aspects of island life to be things that troubled me no more and was glad of that so I guess the move has been a very good one for me.

Today is a heady mix of meetings and weeding. Hope everyone has a good day ahead of them. I must go and get banks etc sorted and some washing out.

Total debt 26/4/18 <1925
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 27th Jun 18, 6:34 PM
    • 15,006 Posts
    • 99,123 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    I got my payrise.

Can't say I think its really amounted to very much as far as I can see, given the jump in responsibility!!!

But, lets now act as if we've been slapped in the face with a soggy kipper shall we.

I'm far more fortunate than many folks.

Does seem a bit odd that its not as good as I thought it might be take home pay wise. Gonna do a bit of googling..........looked like all of my pay was taxable which I'm not sure it should be?

Pesky student loan is reducing though!

Sun has been shining round these parts and its been a good day. Even had a sneaky lunch in the proper cafe at work. Crazy or what.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <1925
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 27th Jun 18, 8:08 PM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 8,385 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Is it possible that the raise is only effective from when you were appointed, only part of the month, rather than being for the full month?
    If only for part of the month then it won't show the full amount until the next months pay...
    A raise is a raise though and as you said, you're far more fortunate than some folks (((((HUGS)))))
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 27th Jun 18, 8:14 PM
    • 15,006 Posts
    • 99,123 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Thanks indeedy - its for the full month and I was just being greedy. But no greedier (word?) than the student loans, tax and NI folks!

Hope you and the furry one are grand.

Off to raid the cupboards for tea. What's everyone having.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <1925
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Jun 18, 8:38 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 48,299 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

Off to raid the cupboards for tea. What's everyone having.
    Originally posted by Pippilongstocking

We had salad - *polishes halo*.......

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug' 'Your Vibe attracts your Tribe'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 27th Jun 18, 8:45 PM
    • 15,006 Posts
    • 99,123 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    We had salad - *polishes halo*.......

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Why am I not surprised. My sweetpeas haven't woken up, never mind my salad..........

Although its been el scorchio today again (inbetween sea fogs, such kind creatures of summer) - so one day I hope things will grow.

I hope it was yummy. Its not exactly stew weather here so I'm looking at alternatives, although I did have roast haddock, peppers and tomato cous cous for my first tea. That's almost a salad.

Total debt 26/4/18 <1925
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Jun 18, 9:35 PM
    • 55,428 Posts
    • 222,275 Thanks
    beanielou
    Nothing to beat THe Kingdom

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 27th Jun 18, 9:36 PM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 8,385 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    I had a mix of diced chicken with veggies n rice in a home made tasty spicy, not hot spicy, sauce it was awfy good for something I threw together
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Jun 18, 9:36 PM
    • 55,428 Posts
    • 222,275 Thanks
    beanielou
    Boo to payrise not being as good as you thought

***Keep plodding***
    • starnac
    • By starnac 28th Jun 18, 10:09 AM
    • 5,286 Posts
    • 24,857 Thanks
    starnac
    Is it worth checking you haven't been put on a higher tax code?

We had chicken wraps for tea last night. DH went shopping last night so we've got salad things in, while my lettuces and tomatoes are still growing in the greenhouse.
    Savings 1450
    Overpayments #182 made 400/1208.15
    Make 2018 in 2018 #70 528.42/2018
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 28th Jun 18, 12:24 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 14,212 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Pips my dear - maple syrup ANYTHING is completely acceptable!
    1 YEAR & 8 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    STILL - Juggling the pots to keep in the black! - NOT an easy task!
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 30th Jun 18, 7:42 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    troglodyte
    Shame the pay 'rise' was a bit disappointing. I guess things could be a lot worse though, as you say.

Really hot here, too hot to make you want to do anything. Hope it doesn't put people off coming round the gardens tomorrow after we've been getting ready! I did describe our garden as 'large, messy, with fruit, flowers, shrubs, veg, chickens, toys and plenty of weeds/ wild flowers' so I plan to deliver on that!

Ate our first broad beans yesterday, and today OH's parents brought loads of fresh raspberries, yum! Hope the elderflowers are coming along well in your neck of the woods!
    • starnac
    • By starnac 2nd Jul 18, 9:10 AM
    • 5,286 Posts
    • 24,857 Thanks
    starnac
    How was the open gardens Trog?
    Savings 1450
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 3rd Jul 18, 2:38 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    troglodyte
    It went well, thanks. There were 10 home gardens open, plus the church grounds and flower arrangements in the church. Three or four places (including us) offered refreshments. We had to keep the house locked so we re-arranged the kitchen and served things through the window! There was a steady stream of visitors as they could start at any garden and the village is very spread out, over a mile long, so not everyone went to every garden, but we had 157 visitors plus about a dozen smallish children, and they were all very polite and complimentary. Thankfully several friends turned up to help, plus daughter's two friends who really loved rushing around with tea-cups and cake! We raised almost 270 and the whole event has raised over 1800 for Tools for Self-Reliance https://www.tfsr.org/ At the end of the day though I was much more tired than I expected!
    • starnac
    • By starnac 5th Jul 18, 2:24 PM
    • 5,286 Posts
    • 24,857 Thanks
    starnac
    Trog that's amazing!
    Savings 1450
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 5th Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    • 2,226 Posts
    • 14,212 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Well done Trog!

Our resident master gardener will be well proud of you!

( to Pips!)
    1 YEAR & 8 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    STILL - Juggling the pots to keep in the black! - NOT an easy task!
    • troglodyte
    • By troglodyte 6th Jul 18, 9:19 AM
    • 632 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    troglodyte
    Thanks everyone! We really didn't know what to expect - have only participated as a visitor before!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

7,432Users online

Martin's Twitter