Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mariosn
    • By mariosn 20th Dec 17, 8:30 PM
    • 50Posts
    • 4Thanks
    mariosn
    Barclays new Account Closure
    • 20th Dec 17, 8:30 PM
    Barclays new Account Closure 20th Dec 17 at 8:30 PM
    Good afternoon,

I applied online for a new Barclays Current Account on the 18th of December and it was opened instantly and I was given a sort code and account number. I received a letter today (welcome pack) to let me know again about the account details and the T&C etc. I noticed on the letter that the 2nd part of my post code was incorrect which was odd...because on the application it did find my address with the correct postcode. Anyway long story sort....I called them to let them know and to correct it and the person over the phone told me that they can't do anything at the moment because the account is going to close following internal investigation. I believe that this has to do only if they suspect some kind of fraud or an odd activity on the account but this can't be the case because the account hasn't been used at all as it was opened only two days ago online. At this point I have to mention that I was with them for two years up until last month without using that account much at all...so it was a spare account which I used to switch to HSBC and take the £200 incentive bonus. My salary is paid in HSBC now and before it was with my Lloyds account but never with Barclays.

I have 2 questions: 1) Is the fact that I applied again for a new account within sort period after closing the old one the problem? and 2) Will that account closure by Barclays affect my Credit report/history? I hope they don't add any CIFAS or anything. Do you know what can I do in this situation? They didn't say much over the phone because they said I need to talk with the relevant department which is opened only 8am-4pm.

I am mostly worried about getting any fraud notice and ruining my credit report as I have other accounts.
    Last edited by mariosn; 20-12-2017 at 8:33 PM.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 20th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 17,272 Posts
    • 18,376 Thanks
    zx81
    • 20th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    • 20th Dec 17, 8:35 PM
    1) Possibly. Possibly not.
    2) Check your files, including CIFAS.
    • mariosn
    • By mariosn 20th Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mariosn
    • 20th Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 20th Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    1) Possibly. Possibly not.
    2) Check your files, including CIFAS.
    Originally posted by zx81
    If something like that happens what can I do to rectify this? Can I provide some kind of proof that will prevent that from happening? and if I do get a CIFAS what's the implications?

Thank you for your response
    • zx81
    • By zx81 20th Dec 17, 8:49 PM
    • 17,272 Posts
    • 18,376 Thanks
    zx81
    • 20th Dec 17, 8:49 PM
    • 20th Dec 17, 8:49 PM
    Until you know if there is any CIFAS issue, there is no point speculating.

It may nothing. Barclays are not the most robustly run bank in terms of QA.
    • mariosn
    • By mariosn 21st Dec 17, 6:18 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mariosn
    • 21st Dec 17, 6:18 PM
    • 21st Dec 17, 6:18 PM
    Just an UPDATE:

I contacted the customer service team this morning and obviously they said again that there is nothing they can do and all they can see is that the account is suspended and it will be closed without giving me an exact date. I then went in the branch to look after that and basically they told me that it has been created a different profile than the one that I had before and there was also a small difference on the 2nd part of the post code. This is odd because when I did the application I filled correctly the post code and my flat was on the list of addresses with the correct post code and the system matched my records on the electoral roll and I was also credit checked for identification which I saw on Equifax the next day.

Anyway I followed the process of a formal complaint in order to basically make sure that no CIFAS marker is placed against my name and to find out if possible what is the reason for closing my account as I was a customer for two years and the previous account was closed on the 8th of November due to switch to HSBC. That old account of course was a spare account as mentioned above with very low turnover and no problems for 2 years.

I am just waiting now to see what is the outcome of my complaint as it is under investigation at the moment. Does anyone think that the complaint will prevent the CIFAS marker? I provided all the documents to the staff in branch to verify me and they put a note that they have seen them. I am really stressed about it as I don't want to see a CIFAS marker next month.

As of today there is no CIFAS market on my credit file. I checked Experian, Equifax and Call credit and everything is clean.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 21st Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    • 17,272 Posts
    • 18,376 Thanks
    zx81
    • 21st Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    • 21st Dec 17, 6:33 PM
    The complain won't have any bearing on whether a CIFAS marker is applied or not.

It doesn't sound as if there is any reason for one to be applied. It sounds like standard Barclays confusion.
    • mariosn
    • By mariosn 21st Dec 17, 6:39 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mariosn
    • 21st Dec 17, 6:39 PM
    • 21st Dec 17, 6:39 PM
    The complain won't have any bearing on whether a CIFAS marker is applied or not.

It doesn't sound as if there is any reason for one to be applied. It sounds like standard Barclays confusion.
    Originally posted by zx81
    I hope so as well that they won't apply anything on my file. At least if they do anything, I have covered myself at an early stage as I have provided all the documentation to prove it was a genuine application and the account is not yet closed but suspended.
    • mariosn
    • By mariosn 22nd Dec 17, 11:51 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mariosn
    • 22nd Dec 17, 11:51 AM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 11:51 AM
    So Barclays called me this morning and on the phone it was the assistant branch manager of the branch that I submitted my complaint. When I did the complaint yesterday the staff member told it would go to his line manager and then it would be escalated into higher level.

The manager over the phone told me there is nothing she can do and she wouldn't escalate it and she would close the complain without giving any answer to whether or not a CIFAS marker will be placed on my file. She said as long there is nothing there at the moment they can't do anything. If they put a marker then they will look at it. That's what she said basically.

Now basically I have to check every single day my report across the three agencies for the next 1-2 months to see if they will put anything on my file

I don't know if there is anything else I can do other than wait and see....which is frustrating. I have nothing on my report because just last week I was accepted for an British Airways Amex so I am still wondering what the heck caused the force closure of the account 2 days after it was opened instantly online! Does having credit checks on your file result into account closures? I don't know...
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 22nd Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    tenchy
    • 22nd Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    If the bank are being unhelpful like this, is it an option to serve them with a SAR? In theory, this should deliver everything they have about you, save for any suspicion of fraud - possibly. But even so, it still might show something CIFAS-related, if it exists.
    • mariosn
    • By mariosn 22nd Dec 17, 1:45 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mariosn
    If the bank are being unhelpful like this, is it an option to serve them with a SAR? In theory, this should deliver everything they have about you, save for any suspicion of fraud - possibly. But even so, it still might show something CIFAS-related, if it exists.
    Originally posted by tenchy

What do you mean serve them with a SAR? And how do I do that? I was thinking to escalate my complaint to the Ombudsman after I receive the letter of my complaint and the notice of closure in writing because I haven't receive anything yet in the post. I am willing to do anything now rather than wait until I see or don't see a CIFAS on my report. I don't want to be ruined for 6 years of my life.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 22nd Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 58,936 Posts
    • 52,260 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    A month ago your bank account away from Barclays. Now you are returning. The bank can only surmise why. Nevertheless you perhaps weren't a profitable customer to have in the past nor will you be in the future. A commercial business decision as straightforward as that.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • mariosn
    • By mariosn 22nd Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mariosn
    A month ago your bank account away from Barclays. Now you are returning. The bank can only surmise why. Nevertheless you perhaps weren't a profitable customer to have in the past nor will you be in the future. A commercial business decision as straightforward as that.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    I totally get that and honestly, I don't care about the account. I only care about my file being clean and I don't want a bank to ruin my life. If they didn't want to have me as a customer they wouldn't accept me in the first place. On the T&C Document they sent me it mentions the following on page 39 https://www.barclays.co.uk/content/dam/documents/personal/site-hygiene/Termsandconditionforpersonalcustome-13-10-2017.pdf

''When we can close an account or end a service
    We can close an account (and stop providing any services and end this
    agreement) by giving you at least two months’ notice. Any benefit or
    services linked to your account will stop at the same time.
    However, we may end this agreement immediately or on less notice (and
    stop providing services and close your account) if we reasonably believe
    you have seriously or persistently broken any terms of the agreement or we
    have reasonable grounds for thinking you have done any of the following
    things, which you must not do:
    • You put us in a position where we might break a law, regulation, code or
    other duty that applies to us if we maintain your account.
    • You give us any false information at any time.
    • You commit (or attempt) fraud against us or someone else.
    • You use (or allow someone else to use) your account illegally or for
    criminal activity (including receiving proceeds of crime into your
    account).
    • You inappropriately let someone else use your account.
    • You behave in a threatening or abusive manner to our staff.
    • You become bankrupt (unless you have a Barclays Basic Current Account).
    We can also end this agreement immediately (and stop providing services
    and close your account) if we reasonably believe that maintaining your
    account might expose us (or another Barclays company) to action or
    censure from any government, regulator or law enforcement agency.
    If you have a borrowing facility, we can end your facility at any time and for
    any reason by giving you at least 30 days’ notice in writing. ''

That has led me to believe they think something fraudulent is going on and that's what I want to prevent.
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 22nd Dec 17, 1:58 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    tenchy
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    True, of course, but the way they do this leaves a lot to be desired.

@mariosn SAR - Subject Access Request. It will cost £10 to serve it on the bank and they then have a limited time (can't remember how many days - 56?) to provide you with all the information they hold about you. There may be limited exceptions, but it might provide you with some clues as to what's happening.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 22nd Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    • 58,936 Posts
    • 52,260 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    True, of course, but the way they do this leaves a lot to be desired.

Originally posted by tenchy
    A business is unlikely and under no obligation to say why they don't wish to have someone as a customer. Might be as a basic an internal policy. Relationships work two ways.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • john1002
    • By john1002 22nd Dec 17, 3:08 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    john1002
    Just a word of caution that the type of CIFAS marker won!!!8217;t show up on any of the three CRA you have to go Direct to CIFAS and do a SAR application to see if they have any details on file.

It!!!8217;s only identity type markers that you see at CRA.

Good luck and keep us posted.

John
    • mariosn
    • By mariosn 3rd Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mariosn
    Just a word of caution that the type of CIFAS marker won’t show up on any of the three CRA you have to go Direct to CIFAS and do a SAR application to see if they have any details on file.

It’s only identity type markers that you see at CRA.

Good luck and keep us posted.

John
    Originally posted by john1002
    Hello,

I have received the letter informing me about the closure and the only thing that says is that after consideration we regret that we will close your account on the 21st of December (already closed) and please refer to T&C.

What I am thinking now is when should I ask CIFAS for a subject access request? How long do you think I should wait until I do the SAR directly to CIFAS as this won't be on any of my credit reports. Of course at the moment I am purely speculating that they might put a CIFAS marker ....as they might not do anything else. But, nevertheless, I want to make sure I am clean as quickly as possible but at the same time I don't want to do a SAR very early and then it comes clean but then a CIFAS is added after my initial SAR request.

Thanks
    • john1002
    • By john1002 3rd Jan 18, 10:43 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    john1002
    You could do two things, wait until you apply for another bank account or credit product and if declined and they mention fraud as main reason then you could do it then or wait at least 6 weeks and apply the SAR request.

If the letter is as you have quoted and they have just closed the account and refer to T&Cs then I suspect a CIFAS marker unlikely.

John
    • mariosn
    • By mariosn 3rd Jan 18, 10:53 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mariosn
    You could do two things, wait until you apply for another bank account or credit product and if declined and they mention fraud as main reason then you could do it then or wait at least 6 weeks and apply the SAR request.

If the letter is as you have quoted and they have just closed the account and refer to T&Cs then I suspect a CIFAS marker unlikely.

John
    Originally posted by john1002
    Thanks for your respone. I will apply for a SAR just to be sure around February then.

Anyway that's exactly my belief that they will not apply a CIFAS marker as there are no grounds (from what I believe) to put one. I have read other CIFAS cases in the forum and I couldn't find anything similar that would indicate something fraudulent is suspected.
    • mariosn
    • By mariosn 9th Jan 18, 12:26 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mariosn
    *Update*

I have just checked my credit file report from Call Credit and Barclays has reported the account as settled (green status) like all other normal closures of accounts with no problems. It says account opened date on the 18th of December and settled on the 22nd of December. I checked also the CIFAS section on the same report and there is nothing there....

I don!!!8217;t know if that!!!8217;s positive or not. I will wait to see the closure being reported to all credit reference agencies and then maybe I will do a SAR report directly to CIFAS as well just to be sure.
    • mariosn
    • By mariosn 25th Jan 18, 7:08 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mariosn
    **Update**

It's been 5 weeks now since the closure of the account. The closure has been reported to all credit reference agencies (except Experian) as settled like any normal closed accounts with no problems.

I sent today the SAR form to CIFAS directly to see if anything has been applied from Barclays. Now it's just a matter of waiting. I hope for the best....as it would be devastating to see a CIFAS marker...and a big process to get it removed (if i can get it removed)

Does anyone know what exactly am I expecting to see as a response? Is it going to be a letter saying ''you have a cifas marker category X from Y company'' or ''You have no cifas marker under your name'' ?

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,486Posts Today

7,002Users online

Martin's Twitter