Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scilly
    • By Scilly 20th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Scilly
    where to buy trees from...
    • 20th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    where to buy trees from... 20th Dec 17 at 10:15 AM
    Hi everyone!
    I'd like to buy a weeping crab apple & a weeping cherry tree & have scooted around Google, the prices vary for similar specimens. Do you recommend anywhere?

I live in Bristol.

Thank you
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    • 25,314 Posts
    • 93,079 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 20th Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    • 20th Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    Chew Valley trees is near you. Been around a good while.

If you want something cheaper and are prepared to buy smaller by post Buckingham Nurseries are good.

Both have web sites.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 20th Dec 17, 11:40 AM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 20th Dec 17, 11:40 AM
    • 20th Dec 17, 11:40 AM
    From t'reseller on t'internet.

Sorry, couldn't resist
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Scilly
    • By Scilly 20th Dec 17, 11:58 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Scilly
    • 20th Dec 17, 11:58 AM
    • 20th Dec 17, 11:58 AM
    Chew Valley trees is near you. Been around a good while.

If you want something cheaper and are prepared to buy smaller by post Buckingham Nurseries are good.

Both have web sites.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    The prices at Buckingham Nurseries will fill my garden in no time! thank you
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    • 25,314 Posts
    • 93,079 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 20th Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    • 20th Dec 17, 1:04 PM
    The prices at Buckingham Nurseries will fill my garden in no time! thank you
    Originally posted by Scilly
    They are an entity in the real world too, not just a posh web site and a grubby polytunnel somewhere down a back lane
    in Ruralshire.

To be fair, I've also used Hedge Nursery and Hedges Direct, again without issue. Admittedly, I buy mostly bare root native hedging or trees, but all my on-line purchases have been positive experiences.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 20th Dec 17, 1:45 PM
    • 4,193 Posts
    • 8,719 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 20th Dec 17, 1:45 PM
    • 20th Dec 17, 1:45 PM
    Posh? Their website?

One reason I love them is they are stuck in the 90's.

I have had good results this year from Beechwoodtrees on EBay. Ashridge nursery used to be good, less so nowadays. Blackmoor.co.UK and Keepers of Kent are also good for fruit in particular.

Apologies for lack of links, on a tablet, and knackered!
    • Scilly
    • By Scilly 20th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Scilly
    • 20th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    They are an entity in the real world too, not just a posh web site and a grubby polytunnel somewhere down a back lane
    in Ruralshire.

To be fair, I've also used Hedge Nursery and Hedges Direct, again without issue. Admittedly, I buy mostly bare root native hedging or trees, but all my on-line purchases have been positive experiences.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    thanks, that's reassuring
    • Scilly
    • By Scilly 20th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Scilly
    Posh? Their website?

One reason I love them is they are stuck in the 90's.

I have had good results this year from Beechwoodtrees on EBay. Ashridge nursery used to be good, less so nowadays. Blackmoor.co.UK and Keepers of Kent are also good for fruit in particular.

Apologies for lack of links, on a tablet, and knackered!
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    Thanks, I'll have a mooch at their websites too! Appreciated!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 20th Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    • 25,314 Posts
    • 93,079 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 20th Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    • 20th Dec 17, 1:54 PM
    Posh? Their website?
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    No, I meant they are not a dodgy outfit hiding behind a flash web site, like one or two I could mention.

Their web site is just errr....functional, so one may need to Google around for extra pictures etc.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 20th Dec 17, 2:07 PM
    • 4,193 Posts
    • 8,719 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Ah, so you did said, and I did admit I'm knackered.

Trundling back and forth with my mini tractor, moving all the crud from the conservatory build.

I do have a whole lot of hedging to plant in the current mild weather. I was most impressed with the quality of bare root plants from Beechwood trees, well wrapped, and rapidly dispatched.

Mind you, for quality specimen trees, nothing beats finding a good local nursery, where they'll advise on all, sort through what they've got, and let you select and reject.

If you are buying by the pallet, online prices become more attractive.
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 10th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    I've used Tree2mydoor before and have been happy with their pricing/service/delivery. Just checked and they have both crab apple trees and weeping cherry trees.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 25,314 Posts
    • 93,079 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I've used Tree2mydoor before and have been happy with their pricing/service/delivery. Just checked and they have both crab apple trees and weeping cherry trees.
    Originally posted by mickeymouse303
    As this is MSE and it's bare root season, I feel bound to point out that better value is available elsewhere, if buying now.

A young, un-named crab apple should be under 3 if bare root.

Similarly, an un-named cherry would be about the same price (postage extra)
    http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Hedging__Trees__Shrubs___Conifers_C_D_4.html

In the garden, rather than in orchards and small woodland, or hedges, it's probably worth spending more on named varieties of both. In that case, this page gives an idea of the sort of price to expect:

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Ornamental_Trees_12.html

It's best not to buy larger trees. Four or five feet is good. Small ones settle-in more easily and soon get going. All need a little extra watering in their first summer, if it's dry. I didn't water a plum I planted last spring and I've paid the price....
    • Arthog
    • By Arthog 11th Jan 18, 5:31 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Arthog
    I can't recommend Chris Bowers.
    We have planted an orchard and woodland, and everything we bought from Bowers was wrong.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 11th Jan 18, 6:36 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 3,247 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Yes, that link from tree2mydoor looks very expensive! I recall getting 6ft bare root trees for the same price.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Jan 18, 8:13 PM
    • 25,314 Posts
    • 93,079 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I can't recommend Chris Bowers.
    We have planted an orchard and woodland, and everything we bought from Bowers was wrong.
    Originally posted by Arthog
    To be fair to CB they do have some kind of guarantee and ask people to contact if things aren't right. What was their response?

For new internet orders, I Google the address companies give and check out their physical presence. In the case of Chris Bowers, their address goes to somewhere not large enough to hold their stocks, and there's no way to visit the production facility, wherever it is.

I don't like that. I'd much rather deal with a company that's accessible physically, even if I'm not intending to visit.
    • Scilly
    • By Scilly 5th Feb 18, 3:52 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Scilly
    I hope you got what you wanted eventually!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,565Posts Today

6,320Users online

Martin's Twitter