Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gemmajones1221
    • By gemmajones1221 19th Dec 17, 3:19 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 2Thanks
    gemmajones1221
    Help Needed, what are we entitled too
    • 19th Dec 17, 3:19 PM
    Help Needed, what are we entitled too 19th Dec 17 at 3:19 PM
    Im a bit of a situation and her is the background, I live with my partner in the south west and have two children, a 6 month old and 3 year old

At present my OH works full time to support us on a salary of £28í000 which brings in £1700 after tax, I donít work as im a stay at home mum

The issue you we face is the fact his job is 40 miles away so he does 80 miles a day which is nearly £300 a month in fuel plus £50 car insurance and £20 tax as we have to have two cars

After he has paid to get to work we are left with about £1350 - £1400, from this we pau £750 rent, £130 council tax, internet, phones, plus other bits making us left with about £300 a month which is then used to buy food at around £70 so we are really struggling to get through

Now before I start I donít want anyone thinking we want to go on benefits as we are a very proud family, however this cant be normal, to be so broke every month

My questions are as follows:

How does all this tax credits work, as some people have mentioned we would be better off just working 24 hrs between us both and getting the top up? Is this right?

Would we get help with housing benefit too?>

If my OH just took a local job on min wage for 24 hours, how much do you think we would get combined with all benefit help?

Does anyone know what options we have?

Ive tried the online calculators but they always give different figures

Thanks
Page 4
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 4th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,163 Thanks
    pipkin71
    My opinion, Gemma, is that you need to do what is right for your family. There are going to be people who disagree with you, whatever you decide but only you can make the call.

My circumstances are different as I have long term health issues, but I valued being at home with my children and spending more time with them. They are soon out of the house more than they are home so I'm glad that our circumstances gave me that option. (Not so glad that it was achievable only because of poor health, but I look at it positively.)

It is true, that once they reach a certain age, the money received through child tax credits, drops significantly. For my eldest child, that was age 19 and my youngest, age 18 as that was when they finished full time education. Knowing it would happen though, I could deal with that so that it didn't have a massive impact.

Now, I work from home, working 16 hours due to my health, so I claim the disability element of tax credits. My situation worked / works for my family and you will make your situation work for yours. There have been some good suggestions with regards your SOA. Come over to the old style board, there are always some great ideas on there as well, even if you decide on the benefit route.

Good luck with it and I hope that whatever decision you make, works out, both in the short and long term.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 4th Jan 18, 12:30 PM
    • 16,727 Posts
    • 41,343 Thanks
    FBaby
    My opinion, Gemma, is that you need to do what is right for your family.
    And families need to start to realise that working as few hours as possible is NOT what is right for families. It's like taking a plaster and a pain killer to relieve a cut which is only masking and delaying the problem.

Pipkin, your situation is not comparable due to your disability that always prevented you from working and invest in your and your children's future. Of course you valued being at home with your children, wouldn't we all, but again, it was at the cost of a family who didn't get that luxury. This is perfectly acceptable in the case of disability preventing working and paying taxes to support those who need it, it isn't when it's a lifestyle choice.

The irony is that it's people like you who are penalised most because OP doesn't only intend on taking from the pot that needs to be shared, but will then not contribute to the same amount so people even though they are perfectly capable of doing so.
    • Jenniefour
    • By Jenniefour 4th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    Jenniefour
    Gemma, have you considered moving back to London? I ask because I know a few folks/families who have moved out of London. It worked out for some and not for others - some have moved back and not regretted it. It sounds as though the two of you had a plan which didn't work out business wise so is it worth reconsidering whether there is still enough advantages for you/both of you/family in the south west?
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 4th Jan 18, 11:19 PM
    • 17,138 Posts
    • 45,097 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx
    I wo9rk part time and claim tax crredits and PIP.

I would give ANYTHING not to have bipolar and be able to work full time and not to have to rely on benefts. Don't sell yourself short, its no life. Don't take your health for granted. Be grateful you could actually work full time and provide for yourself and not be like me and rely on government help.
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    "I just need to be alone right now, i just wanna take a little breather"
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 5th Jan 18, 8:07 AM
    • 16,727 Posts
    • 41,343 Thanks
    FBaby
    On a kinder note, it might be that you feel overwhelmed at the moment with a 3yo and 6 months old and desperate for more help from your OH. If that's what is prompting your current mindset, then just hand on, it WILL get easier.

I went back to work FT when my baby was 5 months old, eldest 3yo (at nursery FT) and my partner was working 1 1/2 hour away, so not able to help at all during the week. Gosh it was hard, but I just got on with it, at times on a day by day basis.

Don't make decisions that could affect the rest of your life and that of your children based on how you feel right at this moment. Maybe give yourself another 6 months at least, time for your OH to look for a better paid job or a similar paid job more local, or looking at how you can do some work yourself and re-evaluate how you feel then.
    • gemmajones1221
    • By gemmajones1221 5th Jan 18, 10:58 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gemmajones1221
    Come over to the old style board
    Thanks for the response, whats ''Come over to the old style board''?
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 5th Jan 18, 11:22 AM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,163 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Thanks for the response, whats ''Come over to the old style board''?
    Originally posted by gemmajones1221
    If you scroll down the forum, it's called Old Style Moneysaving. There are lots of ideas for making money stretch further and some fantastic meal ideas on there, as well
    Last edited by pipkin71; 05-01-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 16th Feb 18, 3:56 PM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    ska lover
    I appreciate your post but believe me, we really dont feel guilty about fusion the system that is available, my husband is 45 and been working non stop 50hrs a week since he was 18 so now we are going to enjoy life as we have paid more than the fair amount in for other people to benefit

I feel you are misguided with this sentiment.

I think you do need to do what is right for your family, but throwing in the towel in order to claim benefits, isn't the right thing, its lazy and neglectful - and really will be showing your kids a path of sitting back and the world owes you a favour

However if that is what you think is right for your family but feel this is misguided
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • SandraScarlett
    • By SandraScarlett 16th Feb 18, 11:16 PM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 28,741 Thanks
    SandraScarlett
    [QUOTE) I appreciate your post but believe me, we really dont feel guilty about fusion the system that is available, my husband is 45 and been working non stop 50hrs a week since he was 18 so now we are going to enjoy life as we have paid more than the fair amount in for other people to benefit[/QUOTE]

Wow Just Wow

Another poster who thinks that working and paying taxes/NI is some sort of personal savings account. I'm fuming

OP, WTF do you think would happen if everyone thought like you do ?
    Originally posted by meer53

Gemma, if your husband is 45 and he's been working since he was 18, that means he's been working for 27 years. Many manual male Baby Boomers worked from 15 till 65, a little less than twice the years your husband has worked.

It was usual, and accepted, that they would work far more than 50 hours a week. Until my children were older, my late husband worked 7 days a week, having a weekend off every couple of months.

Without working these hours, we would have been struggling, even though I did typing and bookkeeping at home to make a bit of extra money. We didn't have a car, let alone 2, but we weren't unusual. We "made do", which is the mantra on the Old Style board,

Most families experience hard times in the early days, and meer53 is correct in saying that it's not a personal savings account. Just take a look on the Discussion Board and see how us Oldies get a bashing for receiving a pension!
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 17th Feb 18, 9:35 AM
    • 16,727 Posts
    • 41,343 Thanks
    FBaby
    Without working these hours, we would have been struggling, even though I did typing and bookkeeping at home to make a bit of extra money. We didn't have a car, let alone 2, but we weren't unusual. We "made do", which is the mantra on the Old Style board,
    But at the time, you didn't have an option to do any different. I don't think people are that different to one or two generations ago, the difference is that the system is encouraging people to take the easy route. Somehow, the authority above assumed that only those who truly needed benefits would apply for them and forgot to take into account that human nature means that even people who don't actually have a need for benefits will make the best of the opportunities available if it means having an easier life.

Unfortunately, turning back the system without penalising those who really need it is difficult and the more people depend on it, even when they don't need it, the more outrage there will be. Saying that, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more outroar with the change in terms of tax credits and limit to 2 children, and the new legislation coming into effect in terms of smi, nor universal credit that means that you can't claim tax credits if you have a nice pot of savings somewhere, or an extra property.
    • mademoiselle
    • By mademoiselle 17th Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    mademoiselle
    Disgusted by this woman's attitude! She's holding up her husband's work record of 27 years as if it were some kind of Olympian achievement, that absolves her of any moral responsibility to work, contribute to society, and pay for the consumer goods and lifestyle she so clearly wants.

But with 2 children under 4, YOU are not holding up a long work record, are you, missy? How long have YOU worked, 10 years? Before you got tired of it? YOU are conforming, in my mind's eye, to the stereotypical lazy, SUV-driving SAHM who thinks everything - including the takeaway,who cooks! - should be delivered on a plate to you!

I get so very annoyed when I see posts like this, people find this website and assume it is a scam-artist's paradise of tips on how to claim benefits and shirk your responsibilities.

In actual fact - and as a user of this forum for several years - I can tell you that the vast majority of people on here are decent, hard working, morally responsible people who are simply seeking to live within their means. Not scrounge! A lot of us have put in 40 years plus of working. A lot of us intend to work as much, and for as long as we can - because we know that's what holds society together, and that's what should provide for us in our old age.

Not shameless money-grabbing!

I shall stop now as I'm so annoyed.
    • pepper77
    • By pepper77 17th Feb 18, 10:10 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 7,413 Thanks
    pepper77
    Im a bit of a situation and her is the background, I live with my partner in the south west and have two children, a 6 month old and 3 year old

At present my OH works full time to support us on a salary of £28í000 which brings in £1700 after tax, I donít work as im a stay at home mum
    Get a calculation from entitledto and if you think the numbers work your old man should get 24/30 hours working close.
    He is missing the best years of his kids lives.
    Sammy Woodhouse day?

Kriss Donald day?

• just trying
    • By just trying 18th Feb 18, 12:18 AM
    • 776 Posts
    • 2,783 Thanks
    just trying
    Disgusted by this woman's attitude! She's holding up her husband's work record of 27 years as if it were some kind of Olympian achievement, that absolves her of any moral responsibility to work, contribute to society, and pay for the consumer goods and lifestyle she so clearly wants.

But with 2 children under 4, YOU are not holding up a long work record, are you, missy? How long have YOU worked, 10 years? Before you got tired of it? YOU are conforming, in my mind's eye, to the stereotypical lazy, SUV-driving SAHM who thinks everything - including the takeaway,who cooks! - should be delivered on a plate to you!

I get so very annoyed when I see posts like this, people find this website and assume it is a scam-artist's paradise of tips on how to claim benefits and shirk your responsibilities.

In actual fact - and as a user of this forum for several years - I can tell you that the vast majority of people on here are decent, hard working, morally responsible people who are simply seeking to live within their means. Not scrounge! A lot of us have put in 40 years plus of working. A lot of us intend to work as much, and for as long as we can - because we know that's what holds society together, and that's what should provide for us in our old age.

Not shameless money-grabbing!

I shall stop now as I'm so annoyed.
    Originally posted by mademoiselle
    You might not agree with it, but she can do it. Your post is full of so many assumptions worked for 10 years blah, blah. Missy addressing someone like that, your tone is disgusting. Calling someone a scrounger, and money grabbing. I might not agree with the system and yes I've said things before. Your tone is down right rude.

Think she said they were both planing to work again, plenty people who work claim loads more on childcare.

You should be well aware of the helpful post on this board....yours is a rant. Which doesn't sit well with me anyway.
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER 098
    WILL SAVE ATLEAST £500!.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

65Posts Today

2,077Users online

Martin's Twitter