Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • saubryn
    • By saubryn 17th Dec 17, 11:03 PM
    • 600Posts
    • 264Thanks
    saubryn
    Gift for a woman you don't know well?
    • 17th Dec 17, 11:03 PM
    Gift for a woman you don't know well? 17th Dec 17 at 11:03 PM
    I'm buying gifts for a family. I know the dad well and I'm picking up a little something for the baby, but I have absolutely no idea what to get for the mum. I've met her a few times but we have very little in common so conversation is always superficial. I know she's "really girly" but that's it.

I don't have a lot to spend. I am planning on including a little treat hamper of foods 'to share', but I still want to put in something just for her so that she doesn't feel forgotten about. I'd rather not do bath products because I already did that in the 'congrats for the baby' gift. I have a personal aversion to candles because to me they scream "I know nothing about you but wanted to get you something". I am totally uninspired though.

If anyone has any thoughts on what to get a mum of a kid that's still in the < 1 year range, I'd really appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 18th Dec 17, 11:29 AM
    • 4,534 Posts
    • 27,284 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    • 18th Dec 17, 11:29 AM
    • 18th Dec 17, 11:29 AM
    What's the budget?

Maybe a little manicure set and some nail polishes .
    • saubryn
    • By saubryn 18th Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    saubryn
    • 18th Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 18th Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    That's a nice idea! Thanks. I was looking to spend around 25. A bit more is OK, but it gives you an idea. My husband said "Didn't you help [friend] shop for her birthday once, get her something to go with that..." - er, yeah, he bought her designer jewelry and that's a bit out of my price range
    Last edited by saubryn; 18-12-2017 at 1:19 PM.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 18th Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 7,729 Posts
    • 16,885 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 18th Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 18th Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    What's the budget?

Maybe a little manicure set and some nail polishes .
    Originally posted by StokieBecks
    As a new mum, her hands are probably in water a lot as well. I always give handcream as this is often welcomed. You can buy some decent quality handcreams for a low price. If you can get a large size for home, plus a handbag size for mum to carry when she's out, so much the better.

Or you could buy a voucher for a local beauty salon, so that she can choose a manicure, facial, or massage.
    • globetraveller
    • By globetraveller 18th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 11,907 Thanks
    globetraveller
    • 18th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    • 18th Dec 17, 3:36 PM
    why not use the hamper as a joint present. Just out of interest, why are buying a present for someone you barely know? Are they relatives?
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 18th Dec 17, 7:07 PM
    • 4,401 Posts
    • 5,547 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    • 18th Dec 17, 7:07 PM
    • 18th Dec 17, 7:07 PM
    No idea what her being a Mum has to do with anything, aren't you buying for her as a person not as a Mum?

Zoella's hot water bottle/eye mask set? Asda's fluffy pyjama's?
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 19th Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 19th Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 19th Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    The Boots 3 for 2 range is usually quite good for people you don't really know, or something like a Burt's Bees set (they do nice make-up as well as bath stuff) or Green People. I suppose those things are all gifts that say 'I don't know you very well' but you don't know her very well so why pretend otherwise? They're all stuff with good general appeal and I'd still be pleased to receive them.
    • saubryn
    • By saubryn 19th Dec 17, 11:38 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    saubryn
    • 19th Dec 17, 11:38 PM
    • 19th Dec 17, 11:38 PM
    why not use the hamper as a joint present. Just out of interest, why are buying a present for someone you barely know? Are they relatives?
    Originally posted by globetraveller
    I'm close friends with the husband. Before he was married I would buy for him and him only. This year, he's married and has a kid. I feel like it would be wrong to buy for him and the baby but then leave the wife out.

No idea what her being a Mum has to do with anything, aren't you buying for her as a person not as a Mum?

Zoella's hot water bottle/eye mask set? Asda's fluffy pyjama's?
    Originally posted by UKTigerlily
    Thanks for the suggestions! The reason I have latched on to the 'mum' thing is that I don't know her well at all. We see each other in passing once every few months but conversation is usually superficial. I care about the family though. I don't have kids myself, and I was under the impression that the first few months were a period where you were run ragged looking after the baby, so I was hoping there was some "I really wish I had had..." thing that I was unaware of.

The Boots 3 for 2 range is usually quite good for people you don't really know, or something like a Burt's Bees set (they do nice make-up as well as bath stuff) or Green People. I suppose those things are all gifts that say 'I don't know you very well' but you don't know her very well so why pretend otherwise? They're all stuff with good general appeal and I'd still be pleased to receive them.
    Originally posted by rach_k
    Thanks for the ideas. I'll definitely take a look at those. Burt's Bees look really awesome actually!
    DFW Nerd No. 140
    Status as of 30/11/12
    Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800 IF - 8000 British Gas - 112 - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 20th Dec 17, 3:55 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 20th Dec 17, 3:55 PM
    • 20th Dec 17, 3:55 PM
    Ask your friend what you should buy his wife?
    • cte1111
    • By cte1111 20th Dec 17, 4:42 PM
    • 7,260 Posts
    • 385,372 Thanks
    cte1111
    A nice notebook from Paperchase or similar.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 20th Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,368 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    A candle would be perfect - precisely because you know nothing about her!!

Or what about some Prosecco? Chocolates? Flowers? These gifts are cliches for a reason - no-one's going to find them objectionable. Don't overthink it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

409Posts Today

4,846Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin