Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sunnys8080
    • By sunnys8080 17th Dec 17, 5:16 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 4Thanks
    sunnys8080
    victim of internet fraud
    • 17th Dec 17, 5:16 PM
    victim of internet fraud 17th Dec 17 at 5:16 PM
    If a person had bipolar and was gullible to let fraudsters hack into his pc and steal his money from bank could he claim it back?

He has alcohol and severe mental health problems and internet fraudsters conned him into thinking they were british telecom and he let them have access to his laptop by team viewer and they took his bank details and got away with 1000, could he claim it back from the bank because he has mental health issues even though he authorised them to do it?
Page 1
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 17th Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    • 5,205 Posts
    • 13,871 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 17th Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    • 17th Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    Based on some of your other posts, are you talking about yourself here, or is it a general enquiry?

If it is you, have you reported this to the Police/Action Fraud?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 17th Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    • 24,870 Posts
    • 12,056 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 17th Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    • 17th Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    Did your 'friend' advise the bank that he was bipolar?
    If not then the bank will treat the claim for a refund like any other claim ie the medical condition will not come into it but they just might block future internet access for their own protection.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • sunnys8080
    • By sunnys8080 17th Dec 17, 7:10 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sunnys8080
    • 17th Dec 17, 7:10 PM
    • 17th Dec 17, 7:10 PM
    Yes, it was me and I have reported it to the action fraud but never mentioned it to the bank or fraud team. The bank says I can't get the money back because I authorised it.

I completely forgot to mention my mental health issues.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 17th Dec 17, 8:45 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    camelot1971
    • 17th Dec 17, 8:45 PM
    • 17th Dec 17, 8:45 PM
    Tough luck unless the police catch the criminals and they still have the money. If your mental health issues are that serious you should get someone to have power of attorney and help you with your money.
    • sunnys8080
    • By sunnys8080 6th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sunnys8080
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    The police are investigating they have submitted a charter request to hopefully identify a phone number because the criminals called from a nonexistent number , +00000000
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 6th Jan 18, 6:02 PM
    • 24,870 Posts
    • 12,056 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:02 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 6:02 PM
    The police are investigating they have submitted a charter request to hopefully identify a phone number because the criminals called from a nonexistent number , +00000000
    Originally posted by sunnys8080
    They will find that either the number originated from overseas or a non registered SIM so please don't hold your breath in getting the money back from this ''investigation''.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • sunnys8080
    • By sunnys8080 5th May 18, 10:04 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sunnys8080
    • 5th May 18, 10:04 PM
    • 5th May 18, 10:04 PM
    They couldn't find the number calling my landline. I lost almost a grand. Oh well.

Thanks guys.
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 5th May 18, 11:02 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    • 5th May 18, 11:02 PM
    • 5th May 18, 11:02 PM
    They couldn't find the number calling my landline. I lost almost a grand. Oh well.

Thanks guys.
    Oh, sorry to read that, I can't even begin to imagine the feeling.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 6th May 18, 12:28 AM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    Ben8282
    never mentioned it to the bank or fraud team. The bank says I can't get the money back because I authorised it..
    A bit contradictory don't you think? If you never mentioned it to them how could they have said anything on the subject?
    1. Why did you allow these people access to your laptop via team viewer in the first place? What did they say to you to get you to do this?
    2. This money must have gone somewhere. Where did it go? You must know the name and account number of the person it was paid to ...
    3. How did they manage to set up a new payee in order to do this? Even if your log-in details are stored there is normally some additional security feature needed to set up a new payee. For example, Natwest require use of the debit card reader while Lloyds require you to enter letters your memorable information at log in. neither of which can be stored in your pc.
    Why the police are wasting their time trying to trace the phone number from which the call originated I can't imagine. If the police really are investigating this they would be better off contacting the bank which received the funds!
    Last edited by Ben8282; 06-05-2018 at 12:32 AM.
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 6th May 18, 1:33 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    A bit contradictory don't you think? If you never mentioned it to them how could they have said anything on the subject?
    1. Why did you allow these people access to your laptop via team viewer in the first place? What did they say to you to get you to do this?
    2. This money must have gone somewhere. Where did it go? You must know the name and account number of the person it was paid to ...
    3. How did they manage to set up a new payee in order to do this? Even if your log-in details are stored there is normally some additional security feature needed to set up a new payee. For example, Natwest require use of the debit card reader while Lloyds require you to enter letters your memorable information at log in. neither of which can be stored in your pc.
    Why the police are wasting their time trying to trace the phone number from which the call originated I can't imagine. If the police really are investigating this they would be better off contacting the bank which received the funds!
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    I'm beginning to suspect he might not even have reported it to the police.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 6th May 18, 7:09 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    John-K
    If a person had bipolar and was gullible to let fraudsters hack into his pc and steal his money from bank could he claim it back?

He has alcohol and severe mental health problems and internet fraudsters conned him into thinking they were british telecom and he let them have access to his laptop by team viewer and they took his bank details and got away with 1000, could he claim it back from the bank because he has mental health issues even though he authorised them to do it?
    No, you cannot claim it back from the bank as the bank did not take it.

It sounds like your bank made a payment as you instructed. You have my sympathies, as I understand that these fraudsters can be very convincing, but in most cases like this the bank has done absolutely nothing wrong.

You need to contact Action Fraud.
    • sunnys8080
    • By sunnys8080 6th May 18, 7:34 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sunnys8080
    I have contacted action fraud, the police etc... It took them 4 months to investigate and they couldn't find the fraudsers. The money was transferred by western union and they can't do a thing either. I think the money went into a foreign country.

I have mental problems and these idiots phoned me whilst I was vulnerable and in a very stressful time.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 6th May 18, 7:51 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    John-K
    You have my sympathies, but I think that that!!!8217;s the end of the line on this one.

The sending bank is not at fault, they did what you asked of them; it!!!8217;s normally the receiving bank that has fallen short, by allowing someone without proper proof of ID to take money out of the account.
    • Sir_Robin
    • By Sir_Robin 6th May 18, 6:04 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Sir_Robin
    I doubt this will go anywhere unfortunately, you must of been in a hell of state as you would of been literally watching them transfer the cash If they were on teamviewer.

Don't trust anyone that contacts you, email or phone just assume they are scammers and fraudsters. If BT rings you and you think it might be legitimate hang up, find the official number and call them.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 7th May 18, 6:18 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    OP, if your mental health issues are honestly that profound, perhaps for your own benefit you should request your bank put some kind of restrictions on your ability to access the account to avoid anything like this happening again. For example removing your online banking, putting a cap on your daily ATM withdrawal, and so on?

I have to agree with the majority that what happened here was a scam, not a fraud. The bank's policies and systems weren't at fault so it's not the bank's responsibility to reimburse you. Hopefully you won't be targeted by this kind of scam again, and if you do smell anything fishy cancel the call, unplug the computer, or do whatever to get out of the situation. Then approach your bank to check whether it was genuine or not.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,539Posts Today

7,806Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin