Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anya15
    • By Anya15 16th Dec 17, 7:04 PM
    • 68Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Anya15
    Pre-eligibility checkers unable to match my details
    • 16th Dec 17, 7:04 PM
    Pre-eligibility checkers unable to match my details 16th Dec 17 at 7:04 PM
    I am thinking about applying for a balance transfer credit card. To check my chances of getting it I have used various pre-eligibility checkers, including the MSE one. Unfortunately, I keep getting the same error message: "Sorry, we can't find your details Sometimes this happens when we canít match the information youíve provided to our records. This could be due to an error in the details youíve just given us, or because we canít find you on the Electoral Roll. Please go back and check your information, or get in touch with your local authority." (Barclays)
    My Experian credit report incorrectly indicated that I had only been registered to vote from 03/2015 to 10/2015 at my current address. I contacted Experian and they said that they would update my records to reflect the information on the Electoral Register. This was more than 2 weeks ago but I have just tried to use the pre-eligibility checkers but keep getting the same error message. What else can I do?
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 16th Dec 17, 8:28 PM
    • 5,309 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 16th Dec 17, 8:28 PM
    • 16th Dec 17, 8:28 PM
    Have you checked your Experian credit report to see if Electoral info updated?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 6,582 Posts
    • 4,400 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 16th Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 16th Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    Check with experian.

It may take longer than 2 weeks to obtain all the info they need to update your records with them
    • OyzterShell
    • By OyzterShell 29th Dec 17, 4:45 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    OyzterShell
    • 29th Dec 17, 4:45 AM
    • 29th Dec 17, 4:45 AM
    I have a similar problem. I *am* on the electoral register and have been at this address for over 20 years. It hadn't occurred to me before that Experian would get such a basic thing wrong. Looking at previous reports they used to show me as being on the register and now they don't.

I am showing as
    0 Registered address
    1 Non-registered address

The Personal Information on the report shows my correct address but the Non-registered address doesn't include my name or house number so presumably can't refer to me.

I've been wondering about this because banks, etc I have existing relationships with give me good offers when I use their sites, but I get no offers or bad offers from the same banks,etc on MSE.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 29th Dec 17, 7:38 AM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 5,189 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 29th Dec 17, 7:38 AM
    • 29th Dec 17, 7:38 AM
    Have you checked other CRAs to see if the information is correct on those. Clearscore & Noddle provide free credit reports from Equifax & Call Credit.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • OyzterShell
    • By OyzterShell 29th Dec 17, 9:50 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    OyzterShell
    • 29th Dec 17, 9:50 AM
    • 29th Dec 17, 9:50 AM
    I'm not particularly worried about my own ability to get credit, I'm pointing out MSE getting it wrong.

Thinking back this is the same issue I raised in

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5712367&highlight=credit+club+tes co

I'm fairly certain my council are playing nice, they send me accurate and timely reminder notices, I sign on-line to confirm and vote in local and national elections without a glitch. I've also checked their website, they'll send me a letter confirming my registration but reading between the lines they don't have a lot of confidence in the credit checking agencies doing the right thing.

And anyway, if I have to go off to Clearscore, Noddle or ANOther then the point remains, MSE is getting it wrong if they are using Experian and I only get offers based on the incorrect info Experian holds.
    • OyzterShell
    • By OyzterShell 18th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    OyzterShell
    • 18th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 18th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    Oh poo. I was wrong. It looks like Experian's crap details *are* being used by people I already have relationships with.

I just got turned down for a balance transfer card that shouldn't have been an issue as my situation is better now than the last time I applied.

Guess I have to join the group of people trying to kick my Experian record back into reality. All a bit silly as I have enough cash to pay off all my credit.

Sigh.

Happy New Year, all.
    Last edited by OyzterShell; 18-01-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 18th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 5,189 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 18th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 18th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    You should always check all 3 CRAs - it isn't just about the information you provide via the ER.

You may find
    a) accounts that are not yours
    b) accounts you don't recognise
    c) accounts you have forgotten about and been defaulted or had late payment markers.

You may have been turned down for any number of reasons excluding the ones listed above but by checking the info held you can be sure it's accurate.
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• OyzterShell
    • By OyzterShell 24th Jan 18, 9:06 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    OyzterShell
    • 24th Jan 18, 9:06 AM
    • 24th Jan 18, 9:06 AM
    Dobbibill, you are clearly a respected person here. That fact makes it harder for me to accept what you are saying.

Fact: the CRAs have incorrect basic details for myself and other people.

Fact: MSE associate themselves with a particular CRA that holds incorrect details.

Why are you defending the CRAs when they have got it wrong ?

Why are you defending MSE when they are associating themselves with a CRA that can't be arsed to get electoral registry details right ?

Let's have a sense of proportion here, please.

P.S. if someone from MSE wants to get in touch and check if I am fibbing or not they are welcome. It'll be an interesting story if you are a good journalist.
    Last edited by OyzterShell; 24-01-2018 at 9:13 AM. Reason: adding comment
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 24th Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Dobbibill, you are clearly a respected person here. That fact makes it harder for me to accept what you are saying.

Fact: MSE associate themselves with a particular CRA that holds incorrect details.

Why are you defending MSE when they are associating themselves with a CRA that can't be arsed to get electoral registry details right ?

P.S. if someone from MSE wants to get in touch and check if I am fibbing or not they are welcome. It'll be an interesting story if you are a good journalist.
    Originally posted by OyzterShell
    Eh?! What you've said here bears no relation to Dobbibill's posts. As the thread was started by someone else it's possible they weren't even addressing you.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 24th Jan 18, 9:25 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 5,189 Thanks
    Dobbibill

Originally posted by OyzterShell
    I'm not sure I follow the point you are trying to make. My point was check all 3 CRAs to ensure the details are accurate.
    I have neither defended nor blamed any particular source for any incorrect information. That is something that will need to be addressed with whoever has provided inaccurate data.

MSE provide a free service with Experian to view the CR they hold - they also have an email address if you require support.

No-one is doubting your facts or taking judgement on whether you are fibbing.

I hope you get to the bottom of your issues with all/some of the CRAs and the data they hold for you.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,101Users online

Martin's Twitter