Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 14th Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 3,013Posts
    • 495Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Nuisance neighbours ... but only at weekends/night.
    • 14th Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    Nuisance neighbours ... but only at weekends/night. 14th Dec 17 at 6:28 PM
    Our neighbours generally seem decent enough people. Through the day that is.
    We're fairly private people and we don't go knocking on everyone's door on the street for the latest gossip but at the same time we'll say hi to others if we're passing on the street. The old dear to one side is lovely & we've had a few chats from time to time (usually summer time when out in the garden) and have found out a nice bit of history on the area, but i'm babbling on...

We live in a semi and our connecting neighbours are a young couple. One of them turned 30 this year. They don't seem the sort you'd find on Jeremy Kyle.

Anyway all was well until maybe 6 months after they moved in they came back one night around 12:30am & were making a right racket. This continued upstairs, they had a male friend round and it came to shouting and banging around upstairs to the point it woke my wife up & to begin with she thought someone was in the room it was that clear (unfortunately the bedrooms and living room connect, not the stairs).

Now we're not very confrontational people. Far from it. Personally if it comes my way i'll certainly deal with it but i don't go out of my way to initiate confrontation.

The noise continued to the point where my wife eventually just shouted for them to shut up as people are trying to sleep. Immediately the males responded in a childish voice shut up, shut up (& repeat repeat repeat) until his partner told him to knock it off as he was out of order.

Reception was frosty after that when we'd meet. Certainly from him. He seemed to scuttle away if we ended up being in the garden at the same time whereas normally he wouldn't.

All was ok for a while again until they were going away one weekend. 5-6am. Music up full whack in the house, going out to load up the car, door bang, back in to get something else, back out to put it in the car, door bang .... and repeat repeat repeat. Why they couldn't just leave a door partially open since they were going back & forth so much i don't know.

That was last year. FFWD to this year and while my wife was away i went to watch a movie one weekend. Already their noise was right up and it was 11pm by this point. I'm guessing they have some sort of karaoke game because they sing (i say sing but screeching & shouting would be more accurate) away to a whole load of different genres.
    Normally our TV is about volume 20. To even just hear the movie i was watching i had to start on volume 35. Then it seemed to become a bit tit for tat. This made them turn their music up (even though my TV wasn't too excessive at that point) so again i couldn't hear the movie & had to turn it up again. By the end of it i was watching my movie at volume 72 & this went on until 2:30am. I recorded this, just sat on my sofa at the opposite wall, TV on mute & just recorded a video to show what it would pick up.

No mention of it when we'd see each other out in the garden.

Then some months later it happened again - their noise in to the early hours of the weekend. This time we were in bed anyway so creating no noise. We put our earplugs in and was just about able to shut it out.

Again another month or so later.

But then the most recent we were woken up at 2:00am to music. I went downstairs & they had music up loud and you could hear her shouting ready-steady-go and off he'd go screeching away.
    I went back to bed, earplugs in but i was so P'd off and couldn't get my mind off it to the point where i was wondering if i was hearing their music through my earplugs or replaying what i'd just heard. I took my plugs out to find i was just replaying what i'd heard ... as their music was still going but different.

I went down again and again just stood there & set my video to record.

In the end it was about 3:30-3:45am before they knocked it off and about 4:00am before we were able to relax enough to sleep.

It's all random. Last weekend was fine. This weekend - who knows.

I'm disappointed in the recordings as they seriously do not do it justice. In both videos i'm sat 3.5 meters away from the party wall. This vibrates all the way up that wall to the bedroom.

I don't know if it's enough for grounds of complaint or what having never been in this position before. They have to be aware of how noise travels because if we can hear every creak they make then they have to hear ours.

I'm not an unreasonable person. Until 10 or 11pm they can make all the noise in the world for me. I couldn't care less but after that surely it's time to knock it off?

I understand you should be able to do what you want in your own home but when you have neighbours surely there's a level of consideration you need to have for others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS_VLFNwlpI

Date and time stamp in the file name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDTe_1Vv7Pk

Sorry for the long rant. Anyone else here have neighbours you rather you didn't?

Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 14th Dec 17, 6:57 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 3,926 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 14th Dec 17, 6:57 PM
    • 14th Dec 17, 6:57 PM
    I understand your annoyance, but environmental health is not going to be interested in a very occasional noisy night. Normally in these situations I'd suggest a chat over coffee and cake, but these incidents are so rare that even that sounds like overkill.

And if you're going to get involved in tit for tat, then you're really no better than them. Ignore it and stick some earplugs in.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 14th Dec 17, 7:37 PM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 14th Dec 17, 7:37 PM
    • 14th Dec 17, 7:37 PM
    I understand your annoyance, but environmental health is not going to be interested in a very occasional noisy night. Normally in these situations I'd suggest a chat over coffee and cake, but these incidents are so rare that even that sounds like overkill.

And if you're going to get involved in tit for tat, then you're really no better than them. Ignore it and stick some earplugs in.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    I understand the comment about it being occasional but at the same time surely there's some law in place? What it is and if there actually is one then i don't know but i'd expect there to be some sort of noise law and if it's broken then it shouldn't matter how frequent it is surely?

If you get busted doing 150mph on an empty motorway & it's the only time you speed in 30 years of driving then you still get done for it right? The fact you only ever sped once in 30 years doesn't make it any better?

Anyway we use the earplugs (as said) and mostly they work but some times the noise is too loud even for that.
    And not wanting to sound like i'm laying it on thick but i've had to go to ENT after one noisy weekend. The ENT clinic told me not to use earplugs to which i just said try having our neighbours then.

• DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 4,433 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 14th Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    • 14th Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    FWIW I hear absolutely nothing from those videos ... until I turn the volume up to 30. (I normally listen to most things at volume 10 ... the audio out is connected to a Creative 2.1 sound system).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • WestQueen
    • By WestQueen 14th Dec 17, 7:52 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    WestQueen
    • 14th Dec 17, 7:52 PM
    • 14th Dec 17, 7:52 PM
    Yes I have neighbours that have zero respect for those living under them. I'm in a flat. Reached a point 15 weeks ago of things becoming so unbearable I tried to end my life... Yes it was that bad. I'm still living here having survived my suicide attempt and for now they seem to have improved and the noise has been less, some but OK for me to cope with.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 14th Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 14th Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 14th Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    FWIW I hear absolutely nothing from those videos ... until I turn the volume up to 30. (I normally listen to most things at volume 10 ... the audio out is connected to a Creative 2.1 sound system).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Yeah to be honest i myself will say (and did say) that the recordings did not do it justice. What it was like in person and what it sounds like it was like on a recording are massively different, but then you only have my word for that & i understand that doesn't sit very well with a good section of this message board. Depends which side of the line you're on i suppose?

I think the first clip is the most telling. Being sat on the opposite wall able to pick up the music clearly at gone midnight should at least indicate how loud the noise actually was.

• sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Dec 17, 9:38 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 14th Dec 17, 9:38 PM
    • 14th Dec 17, 9:38 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/report-noise-pollution-to-council
    • andyca
    • By andyca 15th Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    andyca
    • 15th Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    • 15th Dec 17, 4:24 PM
    I found this thread while considering posting about my own noise complaint, I think you have been given really good advice to just talk to your neighbor calmly, preferably with his girlfriend there as she sounds like a more positive influence. If it continues and disturbs you any more than once a month start moving down this list:
    https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes

If I can hijack this thread a little, does anyone know if running a noisy business from a home has any additional environmental or council considerations?

My neighbor runs a coffee van, which is started (including a diesel generator) at 5:30AM every morning 5-7 days a week. He clatters about with metal coffee pots etc. for two hours before leaving.
    He returns at 3:30PM (just as the kids get home from school) and has the generator running for another hour or two while he clatters about again cleaning up.

I'm pretty much used to it now but the diesel fumes and noise are really getting to my partner so I'm going to have a chat with him. I wanted to be fully informed of regulations and have a consensus of what is reasonable before the chat. I'm going to ask him if it's possible to do his setup and cleaning at his destination rather than at home.

Everyone has to earn a living but it's been going on 3 years now and I'm having trouble keeping the peace.
    • takman
    • By takman 15th Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    takman
    • 15th Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    • 15th Dec 17, 4:54 PM
    I found this thread while considering posting about my own noise complaint, I think you have been given really good advice to just talk to your neighbor calmly, preferably with his girlfriend there as she sounds like a more positive influence. If it continues and disturbs you any more than once a month start moving down this list:
    https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes

If I can hijack this thread a little, does anyone know if running a noisy business from a home has any additional environmental or council considerations?

My neighbor runs a coffee van, which is started (including a diesel generator) at 5:30AM every morning 5-7 days a week. He clatters about with metal coffee pots etc. for two hours before leaving.
    He returns at 3:30PM (just as the kids get home from school) and has the generator running for another hour or two while he clatters about again cleaning up.

I'm pretty much used to it now but the diesel fumes and noise are really getting to my partner so I'm going to have a chat with him. I wanted to be fully informed of regulations and have a consensus of what is reasonable before the chat. I'm going to ask him if it's possible to do his setup and cleaning at his destination rather than at home.

Everyone has to earn a living but it's been going on 3 years now and I'm having trouble keeping the peace.
    Originally posted by andyca
    Just tell him it would be far cheaper for him to run a cable into his house and plug it in than run a generator for 3+ hours a day!.
    • takman
    • By takman 15th Dec 17, 4:59 PM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    takman
    JustAnotherSaver i would suggest buying a sound level meter; even just a cheap one from AliExpress will do. Then you will be able to give an actual value on how loud the sound is at specific places in your house.

This then makes it far easier to discuss the problem with people.
    • andyca
    • By andyca 15th Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    andyca
    Just tell him it would be far cheaper for him to run a cable into his house and plug it in than run a generator for 3+ hours a day!.
    Originally posted by takman
    The crazy thing is he has an extension cord plugged in overnight for the fridge. I have no idea why he needs to run the generator for all that time too.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Dec 17, 5:13 PM
    • 16,559 Posts
    • 41,802 Thanks
    elsien
    You've not done yourself any favours though by your wife yelling through the wall then having a tit for tat with your TV. volume.
    Would have been far better at that point to have talked to them, even if it was the next day, rather than ignoring each other till the next time.
    I'd still try to have a conversation before going down any formal complaints route. My guess would be the 2am ones are after a few drinks when all their inhibitions go out of the window (done that myself once or twice) so speaking to them another time would probably be better.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 15th Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    sheramber
    Prohibited times for residential noise

http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/your-environment/noise/residential-noise/prohibited-times-for-residential-noise
    • andyca
    • By andyca 15th Dec 17, 7:37 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    andyca
    I can't read that site - it's all upside-down.

Edit: In all seriousness thanks for the link, it does outline a set of reasonable times to aim for with my neighbor.
    Last edited by andyca; 15-12-2017 at 7:42 PM.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 15th Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    with his girlfriend there as she sounds like a more positive influence.
    Originally posted by andyca
    Well you'd think so after the first episode, and so did we.

However since that she's been just as noisy if not moreso. With her 'singing' i've had to listen carefully to determine whether she's actually being attacked or not

To not be totally negative - they've not created that same level of noise in the bedroom since my wife shouted through.

However only a dead-head would be oblivious to the noise travel. We are well aware of what noise output they're producing & what is required to create clear word-for-word understanding whilst in our living room and also how this then impacts up the wall & in to the bedroom.

Before it's suggested, it isn't because we go looking for these kind of things. All we look to do is relax, go to bed then sleep. We don't sit there waiting on noise but when it happens & your sleep gets disturbed then there's clearly a problem.

JustAnotherSaver i would suggest buying a sound level meter; even just a cheap one from AliExpress will do. Then you will be able to give an actual value on how loud the sound is at specific places in your house.

This then makes it far easier to discuss the problem with people.
    Originally posted by takman
    I did actually wonder about one of those to be honest after the May episode. Wondered how accurate they were though.
    You've not done yourself any favours though by your wife yelling through the wall then having a tit for tat with your TV. volume.
    Originally posted by elsien
    I can appreciate what you're saying and it's easy to say as a third party to sit down, have a coffee and smile at each other.
    However have your sleep disturbed in that manner (the first incident) and how would you react? I'm not saying there aren't people out there who would go knocking on someones door saying hi, i'm really sorry to disturb you and this party mood you're in right now but i hope you don't mind me telling you you just woke me up and i'd like to sleep if you don't mind.

See if someone shouted to me to knock it off ... and at that hour, i would genuinely feel quite embarrassed. I would probably shout through SORRY and knock it off and then the next morning or the next time i saw them out i'd just say hi i'm really sorry about that night.

But then that's the point - we're all different. I'd react with an apology, they reacted with childishness which probably then influenced me when i just kept turning the TV up as i thought why should i sit here watching my TV with subtitles on? Why should i be the one to seemingly keep having to go and say excuse me you do realise you're being loud ............... AGAIN?
    My guess would be the 2am ones are after a few drinks when all their inhibitions go out of the window (done that myself once or twice) so speaking to them another time would probably be better.
    I would agree with you (regards the drinks).
    I've drank before also. Excessively. Yeah you may get a bit louder when you talk but it wouldn't make me dumb to the fact that if my TV is usually xx volume and my radio is usually xx volume then if i double that number then it's going to create a bit of noise. Alcohol may make you drunk, it doesn't make you totally thick. I think people use alcohol as an excuse far too much for things.

• Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 13th Jan 18, 11:53 PM
    • 3,599 Posts
    • 7,383 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I donít think you could hear people from Australia
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 14th Jan 18, 1:05 AM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    ska lover
    Having nuisance neighbours can be awful....but it does sound like your wife jumped in a bit early with the shouting at them the first time they ever made a noise - after six months of living there in peace, they make noise one night, and your Missus is screaming through the walls.

Sounds to me like they had come back from a night out a bit drunk, and yes, were being careless, but no need to take it so personally - it was a one off. In that situation, no I would not knock the door, and I wouldn't feel it necessary to scream at them through the wall, your wife really over reacted to it and made a drama out of it

I am wondering if they think YOU are the nuisance neighbours to be honest with all this tit for tat
    Last edited by ska lover; 14-01-2018 at 1:08 AM.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 14th Jan 18, 8:36 AM
    • 395 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Sarastro
    We used to live with some really annoying neighbours who were forever telling us to leave our bins on the left-hand side of the driveway instead of the right-hand and to park our car facing outwards rather than inwards and to ensure the children didn't laugh too often...
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 14th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Having nuisance neighbours can be awful....but it does sound like your wife jumped in a bit early with the shouting at them the first time they ever made a noise - after six months of living there in peace, they make noise one night, and your Missus is screaming through the walls.

Sounds to me like they had come back from a night out a bit drunk, and yes, were being careless, but no need to take it so personally - it was a one off. In that situation, no I would not knock the door, and I wouldn't feel it necessary to scream at them through the wall, your wife really over reacted to it and made a drama out of it

I am wondering if they think YOU are the nuisance neighbours to be honest with all this tit for tat
    Originally posted by ska lover
    Out of interest...are you a barrister?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

65Posts Today

2,077Users online

Martin's Twitter