Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • john240870
    • By john240870 13th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 12Thanks
    john240870
    less than 20m walking for pip
    • 13th Dec 17, 7:35 PM
    less than 20m walking for pip 13th Dec 17 at 7:35 PM
    Iam reading this right you can be able to walk 200m and still get The Enhanced rate of the mobility component every one goes on about having to be able to walk less then 20m in order to be given The Enhanced rate of the mobility component but this is not true. Or am I missing something.
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    • 16,564 Posts
    • 41,813 Thanks
    elsien
    • 13th Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    What are you reading? You need to score 12 points for the enhanced rate, so if you can stand and move more than 200m aided or unaided which is zero points, then you would have to score 12 points on the planning/ following journeys descriptor instead.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • john240870
    • By john240870 13th Dec 17, 8:33 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    john240870
    • 13th Dec 17, 8:33 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 8:33 PM
    so yes I did read it right which everyone would stop saying you have to walk less then 20m to get the Enhanced rate of the mobility as this is not true
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 16,564 Posts
    • 41,813 Thanks
    elsien
    • 13th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    The way the DWP are interpreting the rules makes it very difficult to get the 12 points on the planning/navigating though, and that is what people tend to mean when they are referring to it.

https://medium.com/adviser/applying-the-pip-mobility-descriptors-81dc09c314af
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Dec 17, 11:06 PM
    • 2,842 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 13th Dec 17, 11:06 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 11:06 PM
    so yes I did read it right which everyone would stop saying you have to walk less then 20m to get the Enhanced rate of the mobility as this is not true
    Originally posted by john240870
    Elsien is correct, it's extremely difficult to get Enhanced mobility on the following and planning a journey part.
    • john240870
    • By john240870 14th Dec 17, 8:11 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    john240870
    • 14th Dec 17, 8:11 AM
    • 14th Dec 17, 8:11 AM
    Elsien is correct, it's extremely difficult to get Enhanced mobility on the following and planning a journey part.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    But not imposable
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 14th Dec 17, 11:22 AM
    • 2,842 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 14th Dec 17, 11:22 AM
    • 14th Dec 17, 11:22 AM
    But not imposable
    Originally posted by john240870
    No one said it was impossible. My daughter has just been awarded Enhanced mobility for following and planning a journey. She's never been out alone because she doesn't have the capacity to do so.

If you're claiming for reasons other than Psychological distress, then you maybe in with a chance, providing you have evidence.
    • Akahotpot
    • By Akahotpot 11th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Akahotpot
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    its if you can walk the distance safely ,if you trip and fall the distance does not come into it
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 13th Jan 18, 7:02 AM
    • 7,597 Posts
    • 12,729 Thanks
    dori2o
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:02 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:02 AM
    Its also not just the ability to physically move from point A to point B (despite the fact mostvassessors and decision makers tend to forget this)

Yes someone may be able to 'walk' more than 20m or even 200m, but it depends on whether they can do so safely, and without pain, needing to stop, falling, time taken, etc etc.

I cant take a single step without increasing already severe constant pain I have at rest. I move slowly, have limited ability to bend my knee, and walk using an aid.

Im therefore considered to be unable to walk 20m,despite the fact that in order to function on a daily basis, i.e go to work, I have to walk in excess of 20m to get to my desk.

The problem is that the DWP and their assessors continually fail to adhere to the legislation, and simply make decisions based on distance travelled alone which is incorrect.
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 13th Jan 18, 11:39 AM
    • 8,351 Posts
    • 1,978 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I think that the more important question is :
    Does the assessor test your mobility using an aid (such as a splint) or without one ?
    I have asked DWP this question several times in the past and never have received a definite reply......
    For myself (and many other people) can walk (virtually) any distance with a splint on - but struggle to walk even 50 yards without one ..
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 13th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 6,519 Posts
    • 11,770 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    I think that the more important question is :
    Does the assessor test your mobility using an aid (such as a splint) or without one ?
    I have asked DWP this question several times in the past and never have received a definite reply......
    For myself (and many other people) can walk (virtually) any distance with a splint on - but struggle to walk even 50 yards without one ..
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Iím sure they test you with, I know they trstednmy brother in law with his artificial leg on and using his crutches.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • dori2o
    • By dori2o 13th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 7,597 Posts
    • 12,729 Thanks
    dori2o
    Iím sure they test you with, I know they trstednmy brother in law with his artificial leg on and using his crutches.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    The assessments I've had there was no physical test. They monitored how I walked from the waiting room to the consultation room but other than that I was sat in a chair answering questions.
    To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 13th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 6,519 Posts
    • 11,770 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    The assessments I've had there was no physical test. They monitored how I walked from the waiting room to the consultation room but other than that I was sat in a chair answering questions.
    Originally posted by dori2o
    BIL doesnít wear his leg all the time as itís not comfortable (wound is a war wound from an explosion so not a neat fit to the leg unfortunately). He walked from the chair to the room without it but was asked to put it on and walk during the assessment.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Ames
    • By Ames 13th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 17,306 Posts
    • 30,487 Thanks
    Ames
    BIL doesnít wear his leg all the time as itís not comfortable (wound is a war wound from an explosion so not a neat fit to the leg unfortunately). He walked from the chair to the room without it but was asked to put it on and walk during the assessment.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    The guys on The Last Leg pointed out that even with a prosthetic they still have problems because it can't be worn all the time. If they get a spot or sore patch they can't wear it, and they can't really plan for it as it can happen any time. The DWP, of course, don't take this into account.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,242Posts Today

7,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin