Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bunnyhop
    • By Bunnyhop 13th Dec 17, 2:51 PM
    • 160Posts
    • 296Thanks
    Bunnyhop
    VCS & BWLegal
    • 13th Dec 17, 2:51 PM
    VCS & BWLegal 13th Dec 17 at 2:51 PM
    Hi,

I’ve read lots of threads and the sticky’s but can’t find what I’m after so apologies if I’ve missed it somewhere. I have done everything possible wrong up until now so fully appreciate you may not want to help at this stage!

I received a “PCN” from VCS for an overstay in April 2016, I paid their reduced fee of £60 at 18 days which was a few days after their 14 day deadline (should have been £100) To be honest I thought they’d just let it go at that as they’d got something from me but a while later I got a letter asking for the missing £40. I was annoyed by it and ignored it and ignored everything thereafter and heard nothing so assumed they had given up.

Long story short it’s now with BWlegal who have added their cost of £60 and they now want £100. I The landowner says there’s nothing they can do about it.

As I’ve already part paid I guess I really have no defence now that I could use if they issued court papers? If they do issue them would it be for anything additional than the £100 they already want (do they normally add even more additional fees at that point?)

Sorry, I really should have read everything sooner
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 17,571 Posts
    • 27,778 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 13th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 3:02 PM
    If they do issue them would it be for anything additional than the £100 they already want (do they normally add even more additional fees at that point?)
    £40 (balance) + £25 court filing fee + £50 capped max legal fees (not the £60 demanded by BWL) + £25 court hearing fee + a few pounds (£5-£6?) interest. £150 max?

Not much else - unless you are demonstrably unreasonable (but you don!!!8217;t seem to be anywhere near that) when costs can then really mount up.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 13th Dec 17, 4:30 PM
    • 7,327 Posts
    • 9,768 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 13th Dec 17, 4:30 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 4:30 PM
    Bunnyhop

VCS were lucky that you even paid £60

The charge you received was just an invoice and
    speculation at that.

The 14 day discount period is not a legal one and
    surely a few days will not make any difference

VCS are completely stupid to pass this to BWLegal
    as by the time BWL add on their fees to VCS, it will
    cost more than the £40

BWLegal must be very hard up for business to take
    on a £40 claim

If this was me, I would tell BWLegal that as far as
    you are concerned. you have paid in full and invite
    them to proceed with court.

A judge will not take very kindly to such timewasting
    especially as you have already paid £60
    The courts are well aware of BWLegal and their
    low quality claims, that is why they often lose

Once you win, you can then claim your costs from
    BWLegal/VCS which means you could well get your £60 back.

Talk about dredging the sewers for money ????
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Bunnyhop
    • By Bunnyhop 13th Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Bunnyhop
    • 13th Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 6:38 PM
    Thanks both.

Will have to think about the best thing to do, not sure “I just don’t want to pay any more than I have” would go down very well at court either!

Tempted to chance that they won’t bother actually going any further with it but I assume they’ve already paid a fee to BWLegal so would proceed. I did tell BWLegal I wasn’t going to pay it and wanted copies of the original documents relating to the event before I’d talk to them again thinking they’d go away but they’ve sent copies of everything today so I guess they’re not giving up easily !!!128514;
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    • 57,393 Posts
    • 70,997 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    I paid their reduced fee of £60 at 18 days
    Ouch! You PAID a private parking firm!

Don't make it worse, compound your error, by paying them any more money. You should have Googled it first.

If you get a claim we do see people here win 99% of cases where the posters are fully coached right to a hearing. People win v BW Legal, they are wasting their time because these are ALL VERY DEFENDABLE. Just not by defending like this:

not sure !!!8220;I just don!!!8217;t want to pay any more than I have!!!8221; would go down very well at court either!

You really should NOT have paid a penny, they now have you on a mugs' list (sorry, but they see you as an easy touch). That's why they keep replying, they think you will cave in. YOU WILL NOT, NOW YOU ARE HERE.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 13-12-2017 at 6:48 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• The Deep
    • By The Deep 13th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    • 9,203 Posts
    • 8,968 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 13th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    !!!8220;I just don!!!8217;t want to pay any more than I have!!!8221; would go down very well at court either!

Why not, it sounds very reasonable to me. How much would the council have wanted for a similar contravention?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 13th Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    • 7,327 Posts
    • 9,768 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 13th Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    Thanks both.

Will have to think about the best thing to do, not sure “I just don’t want to pay any more than I have” would go down very well at court either!

Tempted to chance that they won’t bother actually going any further with it but I assume they’ve already paid a fee to BWLegal so would proceed. I did tell BWLegal I wasn’t going to pay it and wanted copies of the original documents relating to the event before I’d talk to them again thinking they’d go away but they’ve sent copies of everything today so I guess they’re not giving up easily !!!128514;
    Originally posted by Bunnyhop
    Haha .... the dreadful BWLegal would probably eat their
    grandmother for a couple of bob ???

As coupon-mad says, you are now being seen as a money
    mug ..... BUT YOU ARE NOT.

No point in talking to the brain dead, these are bully boys
    who are all very brave behind the written word but put
    them in court face to face with a judge and they fall apart,
    we see this time and time again.

So, ignore them, see what these bullies do next, the rubbish
    of this one means the experienced on here, including two
    solicitors will have a lot of fun helping you
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Dec 17, 10:29 PM
    • 17,571 Posts
    • 27,778 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 13th Dec 17, 10:29 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 10:29 PM
    I assume they!!!8217;ve already paid a fee to BWLegal so would proceed
    There!!!8217;s no evidence in anything we!!!8217;ve seen over the past couple of years that BWL are paid a penny until such time as they!!!8217;ve gouged any money from the motorist.

we can agree a no-win no-fee pricing structure.
    http://www.bwlegal.com/wordpress/faq/buisness-to-buisness/
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Bunnyhop
    • By Bunnyhop 14th Apr 18, 11:35 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Bunnyhop
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:35 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:35 AM
    So I asked for them to clarify why they are still pursuing me for a matter I considered to be settled and have received photos of my car entering and exiting and the dates and times involved.

The £60 I shouldn't have obviously paid anyway was "due" 14 days after and I paid it on day 20.

In their response they state they confirm they received a payment on X date "however, by this point the PCN had increased to £100 and therefore the PCN was only partially paid".

I tried contacting the people who manage the car park and stated the reason we were late back to the car was I was breastfeeding my 9 month old in one of the cafes but they said unless I can prove I paid the £60 within 14 days then they're not interested.

So BW Legal in the mean time have sent all manner of generic letters and then seemed to reset their chain of letters back to the beginning and we're now back at Letter of claim, now with the new annex information sheet and reply form.

I wondered if it was worth including that I was breastfeeding the baby as one of the points in a reply back to them? I've seen people mentioning using the equality act in recent posts and wondered if it would extend to this, obviously I wasn't for the full 2 and a half hours in the car park but it is ultimately what led to us overstaying and thought it might not hurt to include it?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Apr 18, 11:38 AM
    • 35,573 Posts
    • 19,789 Thanks
    Quentin
    Won't hurt.

Follow the advice in the Newbies FAQ thread on responding to your lbcca
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 14th Apr 18, 11:45 AM
    • 9,203 Posts
    • 8,968 Thanks
    The Deep
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 14th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    Won't hurt.
    But the EA 2010 only applies to children under 6 months. They'll know that too.
    Idiots please note: If you intend NOT to read the information on the Notice of Allocation and hand a simple win to the knuckle dragging ex-clampers, then don't waste people's time with questions on a claim you'll not defend.
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 14th Apr 18, 12:28 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    Johnersh
    When they try and claim your defence will be that the debt is satisfied and there is no lawful entitlement to the uplift.
    "The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading."
    DISCLAIMER: I post thoughts as & when they occur. I don't advise. You are your own person and decision-maker. I'm unlikely to respond to DMs seeking personal advice. It's ill-advised & you lose the benefit of a group "take" on events.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,617Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin