Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nnamak
    • By nnamak 13th Dec 17, 10:19 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nnamak
    BT price hike (Jan 2018)
    • 13th Dec 17, 10:19 AM
    BT price hike (Jan 2018) 13th Dec 17 at 10:19 AM
    Following your advice that I could leave leave a contract if the company increased prices, I am. Being 7 months into my 12 month BT Broadband/phone contract I immediately did some research on alternative suppliers once they emailed me about their forthcoming increases.

Well armed, I 'phoned them to say I was leaving, whereupon I was transferred to the 'No you're not!' department who tried to persuade me that BT's service was much superior than others, and that I would probably experience slower speeds, restricted data downloading capacity, tempests and plagues of locusts if I moved.

I mentioned that John Lewis (Plusnet) would give me free weekend AND evening calls, free 1571 (BT charges) and my outlay would be 3.49/month cheaper for a 12 month contract. He had no real argument against that but hoped I'd reconsider BT in the future.

Thanks MSE for the sound advice.
Page 3
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 28th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 10,504 Posts
    • 4,438 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    BT Infinity 1 up to 52 meg .
    Others on OR was up to 38 meg .
    Infinity 2 i see the same speeds .
    • phillw
    • By phillw 28th Dec 17, 11:49 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    phillw
    Just had the same conversation with BT. My reading of the email is that I have up to 30 days to inform them that I wish to end contract and that I have to give them 14 days notice if I move to another provider, within the 30 day period - or 30 days notice to cancel and have line disconnected. According to BT I only have 14 days from the date email was sent to inform them of cancellation by way of switching provider. Not happy!
    Originally posted by cliffmax1903
    They told me that I had 14 days from when I phoned up to tell them I was leaving, to actually leave. Which was fine, because I'd already instigated a switch.

They still sent out a letter saying they wouldn't refund my up front line rental, even though I had already asked them before switching. Which I've now put in a formal complaint about & I am now waiting for their response.

It seems that providers can't cope with the rules imposed by ofcom, either on purpose or by incompetence. It's largely irrelevant what BT says, if it's less than what ofcom says they should do as you can just threaten with the ombudsman. The only time it's important what they say is if they mistakenly promise you something they didn't need to, then a complaint to the ombudsman that they broke a promise they made is worthwhile.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 29th Dec 17, 2:25 AM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    boatman
    Getting your advanced line rental saver money back and keeping the 5 discount for mobile sim only happens because BT are changing the contract.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 29th Dec 17, 11:10 AM
    • 948 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    shaggy
    Getting your advanced line rental saver money back and keeping the 5 discount for mobile sim only happens because BT are changing the contract.
    Originally posted by boatman
    i got the guy to check with his manager and note down on my account and read it back to me a couple of times. A bit peeved theres no record of the phone call I had from them last week offering a years free BT sport and a contract renewal for a year too and not 18 months.

Still a bit torn whether I should move away from BT. Plusnet's customer services are horrendous and the waiting times are crap. I feel I should only move to Plusnet if at all, due to the router being good quality especially for large houses., just like BT's.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 29th Dec 17, 12:56 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    shaggy
    suddenly I'm getting scared of possibly moving over to Plusnet after reading all the horror stories over on their forums LOL
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 29th Dec 17, 5:41 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    shaggy
    I don't give up very easily. I called up again and this time agreed to lock the 28.99 a month fibre plus line rental for 18 months and free BT sports HD pack for 12 months. Happy with that as I am a bit weary of going over to plusnet as I've already experienced stupidly long waiting times and I personally don't think 38mbs quite cuts it for amazon prime and Netflix ultra HD content on a massive TV screen.

Happy with this either way. If they up their price next year easy enough to go the cancellation route again.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 29th Dec 17, 11:09 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    phillw
    Originally posted by boatman
    I understand that. What I don't understand is why they sent an email saying that I wouldn't receive a refund, it seems like they are trying to manage my expectations and hope that I don't know they are lying.

suddenly I'm getting scared of possibly moving over to Plusnet after reading all the horror stories over on their forums LOL
    Originally posted by shaggy
    I never had a problem with plusnet, just getting them to correctly refund my advance line rental. They tried the "of course we'll refund it" then a few weeks later "no we never refund it" & to be fair to their word they didn't, then when I complained they tried to refund it less 1 month (so you need to check the calculation). This is not my first rodeo, they are all the same.
    Last edited by phillw; 29-12-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 30th Dec 17, 10:40 AM
    • 35,912 Posts
    • 20,176 Thanks
    Quentin
    i got the guy to check with his manager and note down on my account and read it back to me a couple of times. A bit peeved theres no record of the phone call I had from them last week offering a years free BT sport and a contract renewal for a year too and not 18 months.
    Originally posted by shaggy
    When you speak to someone at BT and want confirmation of any specific points you can ask the agent to please confirm the issue immediately by email.

They can do that whilst you are still on the phone and if you get a refusal ask to speak to a manager to raise this
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 30th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    shaggy
    When you speak to someone at BT and want confirmation of any specific points you can ask the agent to please confirm the issue immediately by email.

They can do that whilst you are still on the phone and if you get a refusal ask to speak to a manager to raise this
    Originally posted by Quentin
    In learning that the hard way. Anyway i managed to get the same package but with free sports and HD add on for 12 months and fibre for 18 months. My fibre speed hovers around 65mbs so happy with that price although ideally would have wanted 12 fibre not 18. The deal has already been confirmed by email and I'll check it with them a bit later by phone or chat too to make sure there's no nasty surprises
    • Chezza66
    • By Chezza66 3rd Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Chezza66
    I left BT on 6/12/17 as prices were going up. After speaking to someone at BT before leaving I was Reassured (& as stated on Martin Lewis website) that the line rental saver pro rata would be refunded automatically because I was leaving due to BT putting up their prices (This amounted to over 100).

After 5 phone calls, false promises of BT phoning me/emailing me & assurances of the refund nothing has happened.

So no refund has been received and we keep being fobbed of.

I have been left feeling angry and frustrated at the injustice and poor customer service.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 3rd Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    shaggy
    I left BT on 6/12/17 as prices were going up. After speaking to someone at BT before leaving I was Reassured (& as stated on Martin Lewis website) that the line rental saver pro rata would be refunded automatically because I was leaving due to BT putting up their prices (This amounted to over 100).

After 5 phone calls, false promises of BT phoning me/emailing me & assurances of the refund nothing has happened.

So no refund has been received and we keep being fobbed of.

I have been left feeling angry and frustrated at the injustice and poor customer service.
    Originally posted by Chezza66

Call them and raise a complaint. This gets passed over to a different team who generally bend over backwards to make you happy.
    • mikemoreton
    • By mikemoreton 6th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mikemoreton
    Bt increase
    Had the same problem with BT. 4 months into a very good deal, they emailed me that my monthly charge would increase by 2.50 in January. Same process with the "please don't leave" dept. They did offer me a deal of no increase if I signed a new contract for 2 years!
    • Richard500
    • By Richard500 6th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Richard500
    No it does not!
    These "special offers" that are supposed to be for existing customers are little more than Spam as I got several "offers" to renew all of which were more expensive or the same with fewer services I was already getting. One call and all was set back to where I started and an assurance (I'll wait and see) that I would not be bothered again until near the end of my new 18 month contract.

I am trapped wit BT becuase I have Direct to Premises fibre and there is no one else that can provide it in my area.
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 6th Jan 18, 11:01 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    littleboo
    These "special offers" that are supposed to be for existing customers are little more than Spam as I got several "offers" to renew all of which were more expensive or the same with fewer services I was already getting. One call and all was set back to where I started and an assurance (I'll wait and see) that I would not be bothered again until near the end of my new 18 month contract.

I am trapped wit BT becuase I have Direct to Premises fibre and there is no one else that can provide it in my area.
    Originally posted by Richard500
    There are a few providers that offer Openreach fttp, Zen for example. For the ones that don't offer it, Sky, Talktalk etc, its because they choose not to, not because they can't.
    • Chris_M
    • By Chris_M 30th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Chris_M
    Just had my refund of my Line Rental Saver.

To recap, I paid 208 in October, haggled a new Infinity 2 deal with free BT Sport. BT decided to break the agreed contract in January, I called to leave in the first week of January and today they refunded the balance of the Line Rental of 174.

What a faff and completely unnecessary!
    100% debt free
    House - bought and paid for
    Contents - bought and paid for

12k in '12 No.198: 12,554/12,000
    • AlanB123
    • By AlanB123 26th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlanB123
    I had read about the proposed BT price rises in Jan'18 and was looking out for their notification letter/email. I contacted them mid December saying I had not received the notification. BT said it had been sent on 28 November but after lengthy conversations when I told them it had not arrived they undertook to send me a copy. On two occasions this did not materialise. I rang again and on 22 December a lady from Truro explained that if I had taken out my new contract after 21 September (which I had) there would be no price rises -and this is why I had not received the e-mail
    Today 26th Feb'18 I have received a letter from BT saying they had a system problem and that I didn't receive the e-mail telling me that the prices were going up, but that they indeed were on 28 March. Rang BT to complain. They have no knowledge to the BT letter and as far as they were concerned 30 days had now passed from the date of their original e-mail, (that was not received), so I cannot get out of the contract without penalty.
    Their B/Band may be OK but I am desperate to get away from this awful organisation.
    I imagine I will not be the only one to receive a BT letter today.
    • Gottsy
    • By Gottsy 26th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gottsy
    Surely their 30 day to notify cancellation is wrong. If they broke the contract they broke it?. A contract needs the full agreement of both parties. If one doesnt respond then there can be no contract?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 26th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 10,504 Posts
    • 4,438 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Its the Ofcom rule 30 days .
    No contract broken .
    The contract includes in the T&C we may raise the price during the contract .
    See multiple identical posts on the BT price increase from October 2017 .

T&C
    Our prices and terms may change at any time while you're in contract with us. We'll let you know about any important changes before they happen.
    Last edited by JJ Egan; 26-02-2018 at 5:18 PM.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 27th Feb 18, 6:26 AM
    • 825 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Got a letter in the post from BT saying "Sorry we didn't inform you of the 2.50 price rise by email" but don't worry we still took the money anyway. The only reason I stay with BY is FON. Why do BT get to break the contract at no cost but the consumer can't?

Also a number of people have been offered good prices to stay if they sign a new 18/24 month contract BUT what's to stop BT implementing ANOTHER price rise in that time?
    • boatman
    • By boatman 27th Feb 18, 2:21 PM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    boatman
    Today 26th Feb'18 I have received a letter from BT saying they had a system problem and that I didn't receive the e-mail telling me that the prices were going up, but that they indeed were on 28 March.
    Originally posted by AlanB123
    Can you upload a picture, use http://tinypic.com/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,811Posts Today

7,041Users online

Martin's Twitter