Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 10th Dec 17, 9:57 PM
    • 2,680Posts
    • 4,368Thanks
    trailingspouse
    ebay buyers - grrr
    • 10th Dec 17, 9:57 PM
    ebay buyers - grrr 10th Dec 17 at 9:57 PM
    I'm sure I'm not the first, and won't be the last to have had this problem.

I posted a few items on ebay last week, and they timed out today.

Out of 13 items posted, 4 have sold. Yay!!

Out of those 4 items, one person has paid. Yay!!

Of the remaining 3 successful bidders -

One has announced that he lives in London and can't come and pick up the heavy item that was clearly described as collection only in West Yorkshire.

One has told me that the Canon camera lens that I was selling is not a Nikon but is, in fact, a Canon...

And one hasn't been in touch at all yet.

These were not low value items. Why don't they read the description? No-one forced them to bid - but seemingly they only think 'Is this the right thing for me?' when they've won!!

The Resolution Centre is going to be busy on Tuesday.
Page 2
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 60,461 Posts
    • 43,101 Thanks
    soolin
    I agree that eBay don't care, but raising a non paying bidder dispute does have consequences. It gives you a strike. Two strikes and you are not able to bid/buy for a year.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Unfortunately not, there is no limit at which eBay blocks you, however sellers can set their individual accounts to block buyers with 2 or more strikes.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Dec 17, 6:42 PM
    • 60,461 Posts
    • 43,101 Thanks
    soolin
    Re the PayPal on collection issue do have a read of these sticky threads on the eBay board;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65282064#post65282064

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3146680

Even allowing a courier is a very bad idea as you cannot be sure to comply with the PayPal seller protection requirements.

Also regarding non payers, the only way to guarantee to get your fees back is to open and be able to close a full NPB, otherwise the FVFs remain payable.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Dec 17, 7:34 PM
    • 12,196 Posts
    • 8,246 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Unfortunately not, there is no limit at which eBay blocks you, however sellers can set their individual accounts to block buyers with 2 or more strikes.
    Originally posted by soolin
    The default setting is two strikes. If a seller choses to be more lenient that is down to them.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Dec 17, 7:48 PM
    • 60,461 Posts
    • 43,101 Thanks
    soolin
    The default setting is two strikes. If a seller choses to be more lenient that is down to them.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    I have it at two as I don't like time wasters my response was merely to point out that the seller needs to set the limit personally, it is not automatically done by eBay.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • nwc389
    • By nwc389 12th Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    nwc389
    [QUOTE=grayme-m;73548942]Why wait? Do a second chance offer.

I had to be 100% sure they weren't going to pay and the only way was to do a npd

Sometimes those red 'we couldn't deliver' cards aren't left though.

on the tracking notes more than one attempt was made to deliver but as the buyer never once contacted me to ask where the item was and waited until he parcel was in the process of being returned to me by Royal Mail I think it was a fair guess that they just didn't want it but thought that it was ok to let me pay for wasted postage. I'm still fuming about it - can you tell
    • grayme-m
    • By grayme-m 14th Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    • 1,387 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    grayme-m
    I had to be 100% sure they weren't going to pay and the only way was to do a npd
    Originally posted by nwc389
    I was only going off your post

As soon as I looked at their feedback I knew that they weren't going to pay for it...
    Originally posted by nwc389
    I have been in that situation and took the risk, it worked out

We've just had an item returned to us, 'Addressee gone away'. It was posted in June.
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 14th Dec 17, 4:40 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Kim_13
    I wish there was an option to block a bidder with one strike!

Haven't sold anything for a few years and in no hurry to either with things as they are. Not being able to leave feedback is stupid.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ 19.55/180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ 20.75/180.00
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 14th Dec 17, 5:54 PM
    • 2,997 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    It reminds me of the time i sold a digital camera where the flash didn't work.

Title was something on the lines of "FAULTY Canon digital camera (flash not working)".

Description went something like...

FAULTY FAULTY FAULTY!! This camera is FAULTY.

By that i mean that the camera works perfectly fine other than the flash does not work and because of this i am listing it as a faulty camera. The flash may or may not be able to be fixed, i honestly don't know but it does take photos just not with the flash. You bid being fully aware of this and i will ask the winning bidder BEFORE sending out the item whether they have read the description and are aware of this.

^^ because prior to that i had 'an episode' with a buyer.

Person bid, won, i sent contact & they responded...

oh sorry no i wasn't aware it was faulty. I don't want it now. Thanks.

:-/ :-/ :-/

• trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 17th Dec 17, 12:08 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,368 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Just sold another item on ebay - yay!!

Wish me luck...
    • tealady
    • By tealady 17th Dec 17, 4:27 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 3,359 Thanks
    tealady
    Some years ago a friend listed an item and the winning bidder paid via Paypal (it was under 10). But the buyer never collected nor made arrangements to collect the item and never made contact with my friend or raised anything about non receipt.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    That sounds a bit like me when I have had a BWD (bought when drunk) followed by a CBA (couldn't be a*rsed to cancel/return)
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • Glyndwr2000
    • By Glyndwr2000 10th Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Glyndwr2000
    I bought and sold lots of things on Ebay until a really bad experience put me off. Haven't used it for 8 years.
    I listed my car, full history, full MOT (even full fuel tank!). It had a bit of a bidding war and the winner arranged to come and pick it up (winning bid of 4750). He actually turned up on time, looked at the car and said "Ill give you 3k". I pointed out that it was an auction not an opportunity to negotiate and his response was "take it or Ill leave negative feedback". I told him to do one.
    That night he put feedback that the car had major faults and that I was a fraudulent seller. I contacted Ebay and they weren't interested in helping me at all.
    Terrible experience and a lost customer and seller for Ebay
    • amadeus
    • By amadeus 15th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    amadeus
    What I cannot understand about eBay is that sellers with horrendous feedback are described as being 'premium sellers' or the like. Ebay turn a blind eye, it seems, as their first priority is revenue. I never purchase from sellers with a poor feedback rating.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 15th Jan 18, 10:32 PM
    • 60,461 Posts
    • 43,101 Thanks
    soolin
    What I cannot understand about eBay is that sellers with horrendous feedback are described as being 'premium sellers' or the like. Ebay turn a blind eye, it seems, as their first priority is revenue. I never purchase from sellers with a poor feedback rating.
    Originally posted by amadeus
    You cannot be a top rated or premium seller unless your feedback is 98% or more.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 15th Jan 18, 10:53 PM
    • 10,999 Posts
    • 23,626 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    I sold an item on ebay and as I had another one and someone else had bid the same amount I sent them a 2nd chance offer.

I got a strange message back just before the offer was about to expire.

It said that they did not want to pay as much as that and offered me 10 less as 'that was the going rate for that item'.

They obviously had no idea I knew how much they had bid.

When I pointed out how a 2nd chance offer worked i.e. at the highest bid they had made they came back saying they had 'panicked' when they placed that bid.

It has to be remembered society has some strange people in it and ebay is no different.
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 16th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    kangoora
    I had someone message me offering about 8 less than I was asking for a 'buy it now' item because 'they had checked sold prices and that was what they were selling for so they wouldn't pay any more', very abrupt, almost rude message. I checked and they were correct on the sold prices, however, when I looked at unsold I was the cheapest by a large margin.

So I politely declined their offer and put the price up by 5 and it sold the next day at full price
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

392Posts Today

4,415Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin