Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • P1800S
    • By P1800S 7th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    P1800S
    BT axe broadband cessation charge
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    BT axe broadband cessation charge 7th Dec 17 at 8:48 PM
    The £31 charge has recently been under review and the decision taken to axe it will be welcome news for BT customers who are in the process of switching or ceasing their broadband.

As for other cease charging ISPís who tell their customers who complain that the charge comes from BT, surely under competition rules that must end as well? Otherwise youíll have a situation where BT are charging a rivalís customers for something theyíre not charging their own.
Page 1
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 7th Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    • 8,887 Posts
    • 4,442 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    The cease charge is levied by Openreach. Although they are part of the BT group it isn't the same company as the BT isp. Still rather cynical though unless you have it wrong and it's Openreach dropping the charge.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th Dec 17, 6:27 AM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    boatman
    • 8th Dec 17, 6:27 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 6:27 AM
    Do you have any links to this, something like this would be on a website news section.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Dec 17, 6:45 AM
    • 33,069 Posts
    • 38,629 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Dec 17, 6:45 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 6:45 AM
    Was under review but cannot find anything to back the above up
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th Dec 17, 7:07 AM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    boatman
    • 8th Dec 17, 7:07 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 7:07 AM
    http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-cease-charge/
    Last edited by boatman; 08-12-2017 at 7:13 AM. Reason: ii
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Dec 17, 7:55 AM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 8th Dec 17, 7:55 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 7:55 AM
    So it's just BT the ISP no longer passing on the Openreach cessation charge.
    • einsteinagogo
    • By einsteinagogo 22nd Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    einsteinagogo
    • 22nd Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    Eclipse want to charge me £30 + VAT
    • 22nd Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    Okay, I've been with Eclipse for over 14 years, and 11 years at current address.

I'm lucky in that FTTP has come to the rural area, which I believe means new fibre install to the premises, and thus a new fibre cable will come to the premises.

So I contacted Eclipse many months ago, and they assured me they could supply FTTP, and I could just transfer over, let them know (because I would know first) - emailed today, and they've told me they don't supply FTTP to Small Business or Homes, so that's that then.

I've got to switch suppliers.... but they've told me I need to give notice which is fine, but also £30 + VAT cease fee.....

I've read lots about this.... BT states it's stopped a cease fee, so what is right or wrong here...

they've just emailed....

. "It is only levied when a service is cancelled outright, or transferred to a cable provider does not use the BT network (Such as Virgin or SKY). "

Well I'll be moving to FTTP, and that is using BT Network ?

So surely I don't have to pay ?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 22nd Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 2,118 Posts
    • 966 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 22nd Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 22nd Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    Okay, I've been with Eclipse for over 14 years, and 11 years at current address.

I'm lucky in that FTTP has come to the rural area, which I believe means new fibre install to the premises, and thus a new fibre cable will come to the premises.

So I contacted Eclipse many months ago, and they assured me they could supply FTTP, and I could just transfer over, let them know (because I would know first) - emailed today, and they've told me they don't supply FTTP to Small Business or Homes, so that's that then.

I've got to switch suppliers.... but they've told me I need to give notice which is fine, but also £30 + VAT cease fee.....

I've read lots about this.... BT states it's stopped a cease fee, so what is right or wrong here...

they've just emailed....

. "It is only levied when a service is cancelled outright, or transferred to a cable provider does not use the BT network (Such as Virgin or SKY). "

Originally posted by einsteinagogo
    You don't need to cancel though, just ask BT to switch you.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 22nd Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 22nd Mar 18, 1:16 PM
    • 22nd Mar 18, 1:16 PM

they've just emailed....

BT Consumer have stopped raising this cease fee, but you are not a BT Consumer customer, you are a customer of Eclipse.
    If you become a BT Consumer customer using FTTP , then the 'cease' of your existing ADSL service is something Eclipse can (and probably will) charge you for.
    If you were migrating onto another exchange based ADSL service, then the ADSL isn't ceased it's migrated, so in that case Eclipse shouldn't raise a cease charge, but it's not really a migration when you move from ADSL to FTTP.
    You could,if the £30 is a deal breaker, migrate from Eclipse to ordinary BT ADSL broadband ( so a migration and no £30 cease fee ) then upgrade from ordinary BT to BT FTTP with BT not raising the cease fee.
    Last edited by iniltous; 22-03-2018 at 1:23 PM.
    • einsteinagogo
    • By einsteinagogo 22nd Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    einsteinagogo
    Switch ?
    Can I switch from ADSL to FTTP ?

not sure if that's possible....

not going to BT, probably Zen...

but does not seem like any point staying with Eclipse now....

I may switch ADSL to Zen, and ask Zen if there are charges to switch from ADSL to FTTP ?
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 22nd Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    iniltous
    Can I switch from ADSL to FTTP ?

not sure if that's possible....

not going to BT, probably Zen...

but does not seem like any point staying with Eclipse now....

I may switch ADSL to Zen, and ask Zen if there are charges to switch from ADSL to FTTP ?
    The principle is the same , migrate the ADSL to avoid the cease charge from Eclipse, then upgrade to FTTP, most ISP's won't impose the cease fee is you upgrade but best to check ( that's why I used BT as an example because they don't)
    If its Zen you want to use, run this scenario past them before committing.
    If you want to continue to use a phone service, check if the number can be ported ( if the number is important to you) and if the phone service will continue to be over the copper pair and only the broadband provided over the fibre , or if the voice part will be
    FVA ( fibre voice access)... I always assumed with FTTP voice was over FVA , but someone who installs FTTP for a living posted that in FTTP overlay areas the majority of installs, voice service continues over the copper pair
    • cherry76
    • By cherry76 22nd Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    cherry76
    Have I understood stood this correctly I am with bt bb adsl if I want to switch to plus net fibre there might be a cessation fee? So will be better if I switch to adsl and then upgrade to avoid cessation fee . Is that correct or I have got it wrong. I was thinking rather than having to put up with a slow Bb with bt for the same price I could have it cheaper going for fibre with plus net. Have to wait for contract to end before switching.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 22nd Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    iniltous
    Have I understood stood this correctly I am with bt bb adsl if I want to switch to plus net fibre there might be a cessation fee? So will be better if I switch to adsl and then upgrade to avoid cessation fee . Is that correct or I have got it wrong. I was thinking rather than having to put up with a slow Bb with bt for the same price I could have it cheaper going for fibre with plus net. Have to wait for contract to end before switching.
    Originally posted by cherry76
    BT don't charge a broadband cease fee, so provided you are not within a minimum term, then you shouldn't need to migrate to Plusnet ADSL before upgrading to Plusnet FTTC,without any extra charges, but move from BT ADSL to Plusnet FTTC.
    If you were Plusnet ADSL and we're going to BT FTTC you probably woukd get a broadband cease charge from Plusnet , AFAIK, they do raise a cease charge
    Last edited by iniltous; 22-03-2018 at 8:40 PM.
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 29th Mar 18, 7:10 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    mbmonty
    I have always said it is a despicable charge by BT Openreach or BT Plusnet or BT whoever because it is double dipping.

I always thought that it only applied if you stopped taking any service, not if you move to fibre

Sky and TalkTalk do not charge this, even when using BT network.

It just shows how anti competitive it is, it is being used to stifle competition in the case quoted above.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,063Posts Today

7,107Users online

Martin's Twitter