Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 7Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Outfox the Market
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Outfox the Market 6th Dec 17 at 4:58 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Outfox the Market

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 9
    • Edale
    • By Edale 6th May 18, 9:21 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    Edale
    I use c13000kwh per year and switched to OFTM in January. I don't like the way they are selling this price rise as follows (from an email they sent me)

'One of our aims is to ensure customers with low usage do not pay more because of the needs of those with far greater demand. This is in contrast to a daily standing charge which is universal and results in a 1 bedroom property having the same cost as a 4 bedroom property, I don!!!8217;t believe this is fair.'

So what has suddenly happened that means my account as a higher user costs £60 per year more to run than it did 3 months ago and what additional costs do they have for administering my account rather than one using 2000kwh per year?

I think they have either realised their pricing was wrong and need to extract some money somehow or this was a deliberate plan.

I didn't read all the small print and didn't realise fixed for 12 months didn't really mean fixed for 12 months. It is still the cheapest tariff for me although I would switch on principal if I could be bothered with the effort. I really don't like how they have done this.

• bs7
    • By bs7 7th May 18, 8:45 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    bs7
    So what has suddenly happened that means my account as a higher user costs £60 per year more to run than it did 3 months ago and what additional costs do they have for administering my account rather than one using 2000kwh per year?

I think they have either realised their pricing was wrong and need to extract some money somehow or this was a deliberate plan.

I didn't read all the small print and didn't realise fixed for 12 months didn't really mean fixed for 12 months. It is still the cheapest tariff for me although I would switch on principal if I could be bothered with the effort. I really don't like how they have done this.
    Originally posted by Edale
    Yeah, their excuse is total nonsense - the "fairness" argument doesn't work at all as it doesn't cost them any more to administer an account with a higher usage than a lower one (indeed technically one could argue the "membership fee" should be the other way around with lower usage "members" costing more to administer as they are less profitable).

The "membership fee" is just a standard charge by another name and its just daft.

I'm in the same position as you in terms of wanting the change but I think its still the cheapest BUT I don't *think* the comparison sites have taken into account the new price increases yet and aren't factoring that into the comparison as they are only looking at the prices today.

If you haven't already joined - put your info into https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergycluband you can set it to send an email as soon as any other company is cheaper than Outfox The Customer
    • slickric21
    • By slickric21 7th May 18, 7:00 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    slickric21
    I've had a little bit of communication with OFTM over the new membership fees over the last few days.

I signed up and switched over on 26th March, I stayed that my electicity usage would be 3600kw for the year, even though in the last 3 years it's been 3400-3500kw as I like to slightly overpay each month and build up a bit of credit.

I asked OFTM about this, specifically that if my forecasted usage is 3600kw and I now pay £10.99pm, but my actual usage is 3400kw for the year (therefor should be £8.99pm), do I get refunded the difference ?
    They said No, I would not get anything refunded in that instance.

Seems wrong to me, what do you think about this??
    Last edited by slickric21; 07-05-2018 at 7:10 PM.
    • Scatty
    • By Scatty 8th May 18, 2:07 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Scatty
    I joined outfox the Market on 4/1/18 and gave them a reading on the morning of the 4/1/18. Although they claim to do monthly statements it was only yesterday that they were put into my account and they were wrong. I was on the British Gas free time until 31/3/18 but decided to move because British Gas added nearly £5 to my monthly Direct Debit.
    British Gas produced a final bill on the 17/1/18 with two readings for the electric the reading for the electric I paid for and the electric used in the free time, in my case a Sunday, now these two should have been added together by outfox the market but they were not. Al they did was take the highest reading of 7906 and say that I had used over £240 of electric in one month, they also upped my monthly electric payment from £8.99 to £11.99.

I am surprised they didn't up my monthly Direct debit as well given that they claimed I had used so much in one month. Even my local club doesn't use £240 a month in electric and gas combined. I emailed them last night and took a screen capture of the final readings and enclosed it as proof in an attachment and I am waiting for them to get back to me as the free time electric added to the reading is closer to the reading I gave their web chat rep on the morning of 4/1/18.
    Originally posted by wild666
    I've just had this exact same thing!

I'm on chat and they're slow to respond........
    Woohoohoohooooooooo
    • jolly_olly
    • By jolly_olly 11th May 18, 7:05 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jolly_olly
    I guess they were losing too many customers? lol

The management have listened to the feedback from customers and as such the banding price changes will not be applied. Official confirmation to follow. Exit fees will apply from the end of May for any leaving the tariff early.

Kind Regards

Outfox The Market
    • boliston
    • By boliston 11th May 18, 7:22 AM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    boliston
    I've had a little bit of communication with OFTM over the new membership fees over the last few days.

I signed up and switched over on 26th March, I stayed that my electicity usage would be 3600kw for the year, even though in the last 3 years it's been 3400-3500kw as I like to slightly overpay each month and build up a bit of credit.

I asked OFTM about this, specifically that if my forecasted usage is 3600kw and I now pay £10.99pm, but my actual usage is 3400kw for the year (therefor should be £8.99pm), do I get refunded the difference ?
    They said No, I would not get anything refunded in that instance.

Seems wrong to me, what do you think about this??
    Originally posted by slickric21
    Surely if you say you use more power than you actually do, pushing you into a higher band, then you would expect to pay the charge for that band? I presume they do some sort of annual review so that if after 12 months you have used less you would go down a band.
    • Scatty
    • By Scatty 11th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Scatty
    I guess they were losing too many customers? lol
    Originally posted by jolly_olly

Oh I've not had that email!
    Woohoohoohooooooooo
    • jolly_olly
    • By jolly_olly 11th May 18, 8:42 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jolly_olly
    Oh I've not had that email!
    Originally posted by Scatty
    I didn't realise when I posted that that email was actually a reply to an email that I had sent them on the day they announced the price rise. They only responded 10 days after I had emailed them.

I assume that they will make an official announcement soon to stop the bleeding

EDIT: They announced it on their Facebook page but I can't link to it.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 11th May 18, 8:49 AM
    • 4,761 Posts
    • 19,338 Thanks
    Merlin139
    https://www.facebook.com/Outfoxthemarket/photos/a.507898796226871.1073741828.505366486480102/618236331859783/?type=3&theater
    • Scatty
    • By Scatty 11th May 18, 9:54 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Scatty
    I didn't realise when I posted that that email was actually a reply to an email that I had sent them on the day they announced the price rise. They only responded 10 days after I had emailed them.

I assume that they will make an official announcement soon to stop the bleeding

EDIT: They announced it on their Facebook page but I can't link to it.
    Originally posted by jolly_olly
    Oh cool, thank you. They've messed up my account (i was on BG freetime and they can't do numbers properly!) so this is a welcome bit of news.
    Woohoohoohooooooooo
    • Scatty
    • By Scatty 11th May 18, 9:57 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Scatty
    Oh I just looked on the FB page and apparently it doesn't apply to my Zapp tariff as its variable. Oh well........
    Woohoohoohooooooooo
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 11th May 18, 11:12 AM
    • 863 Posts
    • 684 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @scatty
    But if you switched to the fixed tariff, would that be cheaper for you as the membership fees are less for high electricity users?
    • Scatty
    • By Scatty 11th May 18, 12:21 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Scatty
    @scatty
    But if you switched to the fixed tariff, would that be cheaper for you as the membership fees are less for high electricity users?
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    Once they've sorted out the screw up with freetime meter readings on moving from BG, I'll have a look at my options - and that certainly is one.
    Woohoohoohooooooooo
    • NB58
    • By NB58 12th May 18, 12:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    NB58
    I would seriously advise researching this company before even thinking of joining them. The alarm bells should start ringing when you view their website. Looks like a child has designed it. Viewing their tariffs they look attractive. Look closely and you will note you have to pay a monthly membership fee based on your consumption. This membership fee isn't regualted and you could suddenly see an increase which the company will claim isn't an increase in fuel prices.
    My experience with this company has been horrendous. My switch to them went smoothly enough on the given date and they took payment in advance by direct debit. Then the spam started. About three or four emails a day basically advertising themselves. I complained to them and they tried telling me it was because I had switched to them via this site.
    I was advised by them that my portal would go live on the date I switched, allowing me to submit meter readings etc. Over a period of a week I was given four different accounts by them of why my portal wasn't working, none of which admitted it was their fault. My previous supplier wouldn't accept a final meter reading stating it had to come from Outfox but I couldn't give a meter reading as my portal wasn't working and their customer services refused a meter reading over the phone.
    My woes didn't stop there. Thoroughly fed up with this crowd I decided to switch away from them after only being with them for one week. My prospective new supplier has now informed me that Outfox are blocking the switch. It can't be because of debt as I pay in advance. I had notified Outfox of my intention and that if there was an outstanding balance when I exited, I would give them a card payment. Outfox didn't even have the courtesy to notify me they were opposing my switch. So I now have to tread the path of waiting the prescribed period before being able to take action against them. So before you contemplate joining this company, fully read peoples reviews on the net.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 12th May 18, 8:29 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    editor1
    At 5.00PM on Friday, 11 May the following message was sent by OFTM to all existing customers on its Fixed, Whack January Tariff:

Good News!

Dear Mrs XXX XXX,

At Outfox the Market we genuinely want to make a difference to the way energy is supplied in the UK.

Since our launch in September 2017, we have helped thousands of customers make significant savings on their energy costs by providing wholesale priced energy.

Following our announcement on May 1st to amend the electricity membership structure, we have listened to valued feedback from our customers and are pleased to confirm that we have made the decision NOT to proceed with these changes for existing customers on the fixed, Whack! January tariff.

To clarify, any customers who have an annual electricity consumption in excess of 4,600kWh will pay a maximum membership fee of £13.99 for the duration of the fixed term.

Customers face no exit fee charges if they leave by June 11, after which full fees will apply.

My folks are paying £85.00 a month with OFTM, which is £15 a month cheaper than the fixed deal First Utility offered and is still among the cheapest deals available based on their actual usage over two years. However, any further mistakes may alter dramatically my opinion of OFTM.
    • Lizzie OM
    • By Lizzie OM 12th May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lizzie OM
    I switched to OFTM in February 2018 for both electricity and gas. At £42.30 per month, I!!!8217;m really impressed by how cheap this is for a low energy usage customer (which I put myself down as because not at home very much but don!!!8217;t actually know what usage you need to have to qualify for this). And also impressed that they use all renewable sources of energy.

However, I felt the need to warn people how bad the customer service is. First of all, I realised a few months down the line after receiving a request from my old supplier for a meter reading, that the switch for my gas hadn!!!8217;t happened and I was still being supplied by them. Electricity was a separate company and the switch happened without a problem. My old supplier suggested asking if OFTM have my correct gas meter serial number, which they didn!!!8217;t. OFTM were still collecting a direct debit from me for both gas and electric for 3 months. But I still had to pay the gas bill to my old supplier as well.

When I rang OFTM about this, there was no apology or offer to refund the money I had spent on gas (which they hadn!!!8217;t been supplying me). The total amount owed to me of ~ £90 was put into my OFTM account as credit. But they said that they would continue to collect the same amount by direct debit as this couldn!!!8217;t be cancelled. When I asked if the credit in my account could be used to pay my bills, I was told that it couldn!!!8217;t. So essentially this was a refund/credit that I would never actually be able to use.

In their defence, they were always contactable via web chat or email. However the one liner responses I received (not answering my question and ending with !!!8216;have a good day!!!!8217; written at the end) were really frustrating.

I asked for a refund which was apparently refused by the refunds department, no reason given. Then I demanded a more senior person to look into my case and give me a refund. 1 month after initially contacting them about it, I got a partial refund of £56 into my bank account. When I asked the reason for this not being the full amount, the response was another 1 liner email - !!!8216;I'm sorry but we are not able to refund the full amount, accounts do all the calculations.!!!8217;

I!!!8217;m unsure whether to just give up on the remaining £35 or fight for another month...
    • bs7
    • By bs7 14th May 18, 7:58 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    bs7
    I would seriously advise researching this company before even thinking of joining them. The alarm bells should start ringing when you view their website. Looks like a child has designed it. Viewing their tariffs they look attractive. Look closely and you will note you have to pay a monthly membership fee based on your consumption. This membership fee isn't regualted and you could suddenly see an increase which the company will claim isn't an increase in fuel prices.
    Originally posted by NB58
    Yup!

They are a bunch of clowns and the U-turn on now honouring the fixed price on their fixed price tariff highlights this: they clearly went for a cash-grab and now regret it as folk complain and flee.
    • NeilW
    • By NeilW 15th May 18, 10:51 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    NeilW
    So far no problems
    Electricity switch appears to have gone without a hitch, and I've had none of the issues reported on the thread. I've stuck with the variable rate for now to edge my bets

100% green energy at a cheap unit price. Let's see how it goes.
    Last edited by NeilW; 15-05-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: confirm tariff
    • Lyncj01
    • By Lyncj01 15th May 18, 4:52 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lyncj01
    I've been a customer for 2 months; we only have electricity and are a very high user at 18,000kwh per annum (we have an electric aga!). All went smoothly. And I should save c £800 pa. This is definitely worth the risk - any supplier who goes bust gets 'bought' by one of the other 67 suppliers and credits (if indeed you have one) are normally taken on as part of the deal with Ofgem. And worse outcome is Supplier of Last Resort.
    I've worked in the industry for years; the risk vs reward is worth it in my opinion.

Watch this space!
    • Lyncj01
    • By Lyncj01 15th May 18, 4:57 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lyncj01
    No problems so far
    Quick switch. Good communication (not the bet spellers though!). Switch over date went ahead as expected.
    They tried to put the prices up but have since backtracked.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,383Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin