Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 58Posts
    • 6Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Outfox the Market
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Outfox the Market 6th Dec 17 at 4:58 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Outfox the Market

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 3
    • boliston
    • By boliston 8th Feb 18, 9:26 PM
    • 2,597 Posts
    • 2,157 Thanks
    boliston
    just had my first monthly invoice and it all seems to add up as expected using the agreed rates of 10.72p/unit electric 3.28p/unit gas and 8.99 membership fee - I live in one of the uk's most expensive areas (22) for electric hence the high unit rate compared with their 9.029p/unit headline rate for the cheapest midland region - there is a small debit balance of a few pounds but that would be expected as the dd rate is based on an annualised spend including the cheaper summer months - i submitted my monthly meter reads 2 days ago
    • Doc 007
    • By Doc 007 13th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Doc 007
    OK experience
    I started the switch to Outfox on the 21st January and completed the switch on the 11th February.
    Outfox emailed me frequently during the process with updates.
    Everything has gone smoothly so far.
    Inputting my opening meter readings was simple .
    I expect that imputing my ongoing monthly readings will go just as smoothly - time will tell.
    • UKSBD
    • By UKSBD 16th Feb 18, 1:17 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    UKSBD
    Why do these companies appear to hide who they are?

The website is identity protected

There is no mention of Foxglove, Fischer or Bastian anywhere.

They appear to change accounts periods.

Some of the companies are listed as Dormant

Why would a company that you need to trust do things like this?
    • Pmarmalade
    • By Pmarmalade 19th Feb 18, 2:18 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Pmarmalade
    I've read through every comment and I'm still none the wiser!

It looks like the fix offered through CEC is now 18 months - not on its own a bad thing - but now with a higher exit fee of £100, making it expensive to get out of if it does go sour with no recourse.

At the moment I feel like the best choice might be to go onto their variable tariff with CEC email alerts to let me know if/when someone else goes cheaper or their price increases above others.
    • andyca
    • By andyca 19th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    andyca
    I've gone for the variable, it's still the cheapest on the whole market for me... I'll be first to post here if the price goes up so just stay subscribed to this thread

But they will have to give you enough notice to switch before any price increases, there really is no downside to the variable tariff as far as I can tell.
    • By 219169 20th Feb 18, 4:56 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    I switched to Outfox completely today from Iresa. The switch took sometime because of Iresa bad customer service. Overall Outfox is great, the online chat is good and very good on phone. I hope they stay like this.
    • By 219169 20th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Please reply
    I read your post. I put myself as a medium user with Outfox. How much gas and electricity units are estimated in a year on a zapp terrif. Please reply. Thanks
    • andyca
    • By andyca 20th Feb 18, 5:03 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    andyca
    I read your post. I put myself as a medium user with Outfox. How much gas and electricity units are estimated in a year on a zapp terrif. Please reply. Thanks
    Originally posted by 219169
    You'll find the details you need at the bottom of this page:
    https://www.outfoxthemarket.co.uk/How-it-works.aspx

I'm not sure who you are asking though
    It would be much better for you to find out how much electricity you used last year from your current supplier and use that as the basis for any quote.
    Last edited by andyca; 20-02-2018 at 5:06 PM.
    • KimE12
    • By KimE12 20th Feb 18, 5:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KimE12
    Just set up a new a/c with Outfox
    It was easy - didn't even need to tell them who my current supplier is!
    Just name, address, usage estimate (in my case, low) and bank details.
    I will let you know what happens later.
    • By 219169 20th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Sorry, I have never used forums before. But how to calculate Kwh for gas and electricity. As I have to submit only unit used. Thanks for replying.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 20th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 2,597 Posts
    • 2,157 Thanks
    boliston
    electric is always 1 meter unit per kwh so no conversion required

just checking my outfox bill to see how they convert meter unit to kwh and it is as follows:

62 meter units used in month
    1.02264 is volume correction for temperature & pressure
    39.2 is calorific value (can vary throughout year)
    3.6 to convert to kwh

so
    62 x 1.02264 x 39.2 / 3.6 = 690.4 units

that is about 11 kwh per meter unit
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 20th Feb 18, 9:05 PM
    • 5,585 Posts
    • 3,425 Thanks
    Hengus
    Sorry, I have never used forums before. But how to calculate Kwh for gas and electricity. As I have to submit only unit used. Thanks for replying.
    Originally posted by 219169
    Are you talking about meter readings or calculating your annual consumption in kWhs/year?

If it is meter readings, then you submit the readings on your meter. Electricity is in kWhs and gas is in cubic feet or cubic metres depending on your meter type. Do not attempt to convert the gas meter reading into kWhs yourself: the supplier will do the conversion for you.

https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/help-support/read-meter
    Last edited by Hengus; 20-02-2018 at 9:07 PM.
    • Petriix
    • By Petriix 28th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Petriix
    I'm a little confused about a couple of things:

1) On the surface the tariff looks really cheap, but I can't work out whether the quoted price includes VAT or not. The T&Cs say that vat is added to their charges but it is unclear whether it has already been included in the calculation or not.

2) Under the fixed deal, the T&Cs say that the unit price is fixed but that they can increase your hero club membership cost based upon usage. Does this simply mean that they might move you into a different band if you go over the threshold, or can they increase the price whenever they like? Would you then still be locked in to the fix and have to pay the (£100) exit fees?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 28th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 5,585 Posts
    • 3,425 Thanks
    Hengus
    I'm a little confused about a couple of things:

1) On the surface the tariff looks really cheap, but I can't work out whether the quoted price includes VAT or not. The T&Cs say that vat is added to their charges but it is unclear whether it has already been included in the calculation or not.

2) Under the fixed deal, the T&Cs say that the unit price is fixed but that they can increase your hero club membership cost based upon usage. Does this simply mean that they might move you into a different band if you go over the threshold, or can they increase the price whenever they like? Would you then still be locked in to the fix and have to pay the (£100) exit fees?
    Originally posted by Petriix
    A lot of the suppliers choose to show the standing charge, and the unit price without VAT but a total cost which is VAT inclusive. PCWs usually show VAT inclusive charges and total cost.

My reading of the offer is that if you consume more than the projected amount then the supplier might impose a higher membership fee. I avoided OFTM for this reason, and I went for a fixed deal with another supplier with a family and friends discount.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 4th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    editor1
    A lot of the suppliers choose to show the standing charge, and the unit price without VAT but a total cost which is VAT inclusive. PCWs usually show VAT inclusive charges and total cost.

My reading of the offer is that if you consume more than the projected amount then the supplier might impose a higher membership fee. I avoided OFTM for this reason, and I went for a fixed deal with another supplier with a family and friends discount.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    @Hengus,
    Although I realise you did not switch to OFTM due to membership concerns, with that caveat, are you of the opinion that OFTM are not 'cowboys' and are offering a service that may catch on?

As far as the membership fee goes, my elderly folks fit into the higher brackets, namely the £10.99 bracket. Due to circulatory issues, my father hogs our BG supplied 2Kwh electric fan heater - hence, they are consuming approx. 4000Kwh of electricity, with gas usage being 13,500Kwh over 12 months - this has been the case for at least three years - my father won't change his habits period.

Having done the maths, as far as standing charges are concerned, OFTM's membership fee structure works out cheaper than many suppliers, specifically OVO and FU and their Electricity and Gas prices are far cheaper - so, the 18 month fix makes sense for my folks, with a projected cost of £83 per month, compared to more than £100 if I go the OVO/FU fixed deal route.

I'm also encouraged that OFTM are keen on installing SMETS2 Smart meter's once they become available, which as stated elsewhere, will be a boon for my elderly folks.

Of course, still much work to do on my side, namely, my folks can begin Switching by the middle of the month, or, I can wait until our next bill - 28th of the month, and then cancel DD to FU and go ahead with Switch - we have a balance of below £200, which will cover any usage between the final billing cycle before our FU May fix expires.

On another note, it would seem August is a good time to Switch providers, so, if I sign up for the 18 month fix, I can begin the switch cycle again in August 2019, by which time, my father will be in his 80s, that's if he's still kicking shall I say!!!!
    Last edited by editor1; 04-03-2018 at 7:36 AM. Reason: Punctuation
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 4th Mar 18, 8:05 AM
    • 5,975 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Now "Outfoxing" bulb!, So how many of us who have got our £50 will switch?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 4th Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    • 5,585 Posts
    • 3,425 Thanks
    Hengus
    @Hengus,
    Although I realise you did not switch to OFTM due to membership concerns, with that caveat, are you of the opinion that OFTM are not 'cowboys' and are offering a service that may catch on?

As far as the membership fee goes, my elderly folks fit into the higher brackets, namely the £10.99 bracket. Due to circulatory issues, my father hogs our BG supplied 2Kwh electric fan heater - hence, they are consuming approx. 4000Kwh of electricity, with gas usage being 13,500Kwh over 12 months - this has been the case for at least three years - my father won't change his habits period.

Having done the maths, as far as standing charges are concerned, OFTM's membership fee structure works out cheaper than many suppliers, specifically OVO and FU and their Electricity and Gas prices are far cheaper - so, the 18 month fix makes sense for my folks, with a projected cost of £83 per month, compared to more than £100 if I go the OVO/FU fixed deal route.

I'm also encouraged that OFTM are keen on installing SMETS2 Smart meter's once they become available, which as stated elsewhere, will be a boon for my elderly folks.

Of course, still much work to do on my side, namely, my folks can begin Switching by the middle of the month, or, I can wait until our next bill - 28th of the month, and then cancel DD to FU and go ahead with Switch - we have a balance of below £200, which will cover any usage between the final billing cycle before our FU May fix expires.

On another note, it would seem August is a good time to Switch providers, so, if I sign up for the 18 month fix, I can begin the switch cycle again in August 2019, by which time, my father will be in his 80s, that's if he's still kicking shall I say!!!!
    Originally posted by editor1
    There are a couple of points that need a response. Firstly, I doubt that any supplier sets out with anything but genuine intentions. Sadly, some get greedy and this is when problems arise because they 'recruit' additional customers without having the necessary CS resources to support the increased customer numbers. Secondly, I would not base any choice of supplier on the fact that they intend to rollout SMETS2 meters. All the small suppliers are waiting for the BIG 6 to get their SMETS2 meters approved: the small suppliers will then 'piggy back' onto the Big 6. Finally, is WHD a factor? Suppliers are not required to offer WHD until they reach 250k customers.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 4th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    editor1
    There are a couple of points that need a response. Firstly, I doubt that any supplier sets out with anything but genuine intentions. Sadly, some get greedy and this is when problems arise because they 'recruit' additional customers without having the necessary CS resources to support the increased customer numbers. Secondly, I would not base any choice of supplier on the fact that they intend to rollout SMETS2 meters. All the small suppliers are waiting for the BIG 6 to get their SMETS2 meters approved: the small suppliers will then 'piggy back' onto the Big 6. Finally, is WHD a factor? Suppliers are not required to offer WHD until they reach 250k customers.
    Hengus,

As ever, many thanks for your input and please be advised that my folks get no state assistance, so don't get the WHD. Given I know full well what my folks gas and electric consumption is based on five years of meter readings and Smart Meter feedback by both OVO & FU, the fact remains paying OFTM £83 per month fixed for 18 months is a better bet than paying FU £105 per month for a 20 month fix. Indeed, if I change to OFTM my parents costs will be significantly cheaper than with OVO two years ago, or FU presently. We did get cash back to a value of £160 with FU when first signed up, but have still paid £60-80 more over the length of the contact than an alternative supplier. If FU were only £60 more expensive per year than OFTM, would probably not switch due to meter reading issues, but a £22 difference per month is big bucks for those on limited incomes.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 4th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 5,585 Posts
    • 3,425 Thanks
    Hengus
    Hengus,

As ever, many thanks for your input and please be advised that my folks get no state assistance, so don't get the WHD. Given I know full well what my folks gas and electric consumption is based on five years of meter readings and Smart Meter feedback by both OVO & FU, the fact remains paying OFTM £83 per month fixed for 18 months is a better bet than paying FU £105 per month for a 20 month fix. Indeed, if I change to OFTM my parents costs will be significantly cheaper than with OVO two years ago, or FU presently. We did get cash back to a value of £160 with FU when first signed up, but have still paid £60-80 more over the length of the contact than an alternative supplier. If FU were only £60 more expensive per year than OFTM, would probably not switch due to meter reading issues, but a £22 difference per month is big bucks for those on limited incomes.
    Originally posted by editor1
    It sounds like you do not need my advice. I am a frequent switcher and I can honestly say that I have only ever encountered one really bad supplier: bad, in the sense, that they were virtually uncontactable (as would seem to the case today). Yes, it took a bit of time to extricate myself from them but it hasn't put me off choosing new suppliers if the price is right. It is also worth looking at suppliers that offer friends and family discounts. I have managed to get 4 family members to switch twice in 3 months and we have shared out the goodies. Its the game that some suppliers seem to want to pay, so we are in for the moment. I think it is what Ofgem calls innovation but it has made switching decisions even more complicated than was the case 6 months ago. I hope that it goes well for your parents with OFTM.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 4th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    editor1
    It sounds like you do not need my advice. I am a frequent switcher and I can honestly say that I have only ever encountered one really bad supplier: bad, in the sense, that they were virtually uncontactable (as would seem to the case today). Yes, it took a bit of time to extricate myself from them but it hasn't put me off choosing new suppliers if the price is right. It is also worth looking at suppliers that offer friends and family discounts. I have managed to get 4 family members to switch twice in 3 months and we have shared out the goodies. Its the game that some suppliers seem to want to pay, so we are in for the moment. I think it is what Ofgem calls innovation but it has made switching decisions even more complicated than was the case 6 months ago. I hope that it goes well for your parents with OFTM.
    Hengus,

What research I've managed to undertake via the internet on OFTM has not raised any Red flag issues thus far, and the business model they are promoting makes sense, that is a membership fee, as opposed to standing charges. Even in the £10.99 bracket the folks are saving money compared to OVO or FU, these being the benchmarks i use. I'm a firm believer in supporting new businesses that actual deliver good service and good prices and all reviews on OFTM thus far seem 95% positive. I'll chat with them in about a weeks time, not withstanding enquiries already made, but, life is a risk, and the real risk-weighting of switching to OFTM seems low. OVO once too were a new kid on the block, so lets hope OFTM mirror OVO, not in its price structure though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

770Posts Today

6,071Users online

Martin's Twitter