Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 86Posts
    • 24Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Outfox the Market
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Outfox the Market 6th Dec 17 at 4:58 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Outfox the Market

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Page 14
    • tawse57
    • By tawse57 30th Aug 18, 5:23 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    tawse57
    Is OFTM a 12 month contract or not?

The tariff is variable but are you then locked into a 12 month contract with them - the only benefit being that they are currently cheaper than some other suppliers?

Or can you leave any time you wish without penalty?

Sorry for the numpty question.
    This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.
    • takman
    • By takman 30th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 3,276 Thanks
    takman
    Is OFTM a 12 month contract or not?

The tariff is variable but are you then locked into a 12 month contract with them - the only benefit being that they are currently cheaper than some other suppliers?

Sorry for the numpty question.
    Originally posted by tawse57
    They do not currently do any fixed tariffs with minimum periods.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 30th Aug 18, 6:33 PM
    • 10,701 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Originally posted by tawse57
    Yes, you can.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 30th Aug 18, 6:41 PM
    • 9,514 Posts
    • 14,641 Thanks
    worried jim
    Been with them for two months, no issues and paying the least I've paid in five years. Easy to use website, update my readings every month and shall do another comparison in June 2019 and whoever is the cheapest I'll switch to- as I do every year.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 30th Aug 18, 6:48 PM
    • 10,701 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    ... paying the least I've paid in five years...
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Me too. I'm paying half what I used to, albeit with a slightly different pattern of usage.

I'm not sure how long it will continue (based on the diminishing credit on my account), but I'd be quite happy paying 75% of what I used to, and I'm sure that will work just fine.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • tawse57
    • By tawse57 30th Aug 18, 8:32 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    tawse57
    Me too. I'm paying half what I used to, albeit with a slightly different pattern of usage.

I'm not sure how long it will continue (based on the diminishing credit on my account), but I'd be quite happy paying 75% of what I used to, and I'm sure that will work just fine.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia

Apparently I can save £341 if I move to OFTM.

The MSE recommended fixed deal from EDF, which ends at midnight, is a £100 more per year. Plus it has early cancellation fees of £70 combined for gas & electric. I rent and might be moving next year so these early cancellation fees from EDF MIGHT affect me if I do decide to move.

So OFTM looks the best deal as, my current thinking is, if they do increase then I probably will be paying less with them than my current supplier of Scottish Power.

Does this sound logical or am I missing something?
    Last edited by tawse57; 30-08-2018 at 8:34 PM. Reason: typos
    This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.
    • 68KevC
    • By 68KevC 31st Aug 18, 7:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    68KevC
    Positive switch so far
    I decided for the first time ever to switch my utilities provider. Joined cheap energy club and went for the cheapest ‘outfoxthemarket’. I thought worst case and they’re dreadful I can move back or move on again. It’s was so simple filled in the form on their website was given a switch date of 25July. It happened along with a couple of emails keeping me updated. I’ve since had my final bill from EDF my old supplier and a refund of monies owed. Just had my first month with outfox and they do ask you to provide a reading every month until such time they fit smart meters and they emailed me a reminder beforehand. It’s all on my ‘herohub’ on their website. Very easy indeed and no problems so far. I had a query and webchatted them all very helpful and I couldn’t be happier. I would recommend them.
    • psyflux
    • By psyflux 4th Sep 18, 2:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    psyflux
    failed transfer
    I tried to transfer to outfox a couple of months back and had a complete nightmare. they kept trying to register me to some address at the other end of the country despite me sending my details to them three times along with all the MPAN MPRN numbers.
    They then had the cheek to blame me for giving the wrong address!

Had to abandon in the end. Shame, they are cheap.
    • oscarandjo
    • By oscarandjo 8th Sep 18, 10:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    oscarandjo
    I switched to Outfox the market for our new student house share. The previous student tenants left their previous npower bills and I entered all their usage as our predicted usage. We're expected to save £300 compared to them!

The switch had some little issues to do with being overcharged by npower for the time before the switch went though, but this was due to an error on our part and was easily resolved.

Outfox the market does bug me a little. Our house has been unoccupied for much of July, August and September, so despite having submitted multiple meter readings we are still being charged direct debits of £117/month. Our actual invoice we were given was a charge for... £4! So my account is hundreds of pounds in credit unnecessarily

Outfox the market haven't been too helpful either, as they told us they only review the amount charged in direct debits every 6 months...

So consider a provider a bit more flexible with their direct debits if you have an inconsistent usage pattern like us.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Sep 18, 8:57 AM
    • 7,412 Posts
    • 6,176 Thanks
    Norman Castle

Outfox the market does bug me a little. Our house has been unoccupied for much of July, August and September, so despite having submitted multiple meter readings we are still being charged direct debits of £117/month. Our actual invoice we were given was a charge for... £4! So my account is hundreds of pounds in credit unnecessarily
    Originally posted by oscarandjo
    Any overpayment now will be soaked up during the winter or when fully occupied. Energy suppliers take the annual view of supplying and not the short term view.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • gb908010
    • By gb908010 11th Sep 18, 6:38 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gb908010
    Just switched to OFTM as ill be saving £240 over my current supplier "together Energy" (Who have been good BTW)

What you got to loose with no tie periods, i use 11800kw of gas a year and 4700 of elec
    • boliston
    • By boliston 11th Sep 18, 10:54 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    boliston
    i'm trying to understand the 6.5% increase from 8/8/18

old unit rates:
    10.72p electricity & 3.28p gas

new unit rates:
    11.53p electricity & 3.52p gas

i make this a 7.6% increase on electricity and 7.3% increase on gas
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 12th Sep 18, 8:39 AM
    • 7,412 Posts
    • 6,176 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Originally posted by boliston
    Average across different regions?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • drphila
    • By drphila 13th Sep 18, 8:47 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    drphila

old unit rates:
    10.72p electricity & 3.28p gas

new unit rates:
    11.53p electricity & 3.52p gas

i make this a 7.6% increase on electricity and 7.3% increase on gas
    Originally posted by boliston

I'm pretty sure MSE said at the time that this was on average. Mine went up around 8%

SORRY, FORGET THAT. I GOT MIXED UP WITH BULB's INCREASE
    Last edited by drphila; 13-09-2018 at 8:51 PM. Reason: Wrong Information Given
    • andrew-b
    • By andrew-b 14th Sep 18, 11:35 AM
    • 2,518 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    andrew-b
    Further to my previous issues with OFTM i transferred away to dual energy at SSE on 1st September.

I provided OFTM (as well as SSE) the final meter readings on 31st August (i was not obliged to but wanted to avoid billing issues that i had experienced on joining them earlier in the year). I hit enter too soon when providing the readings so had to contact them on online chat to correct and when doing so said i was due to leave. I notified of my intention to cancel the direct debit and they had no issue with this as i was concerned that my direct debit would continue to be taken...my concerns turn out to be justified.

Since then i've been asked to provide meter readings so i went online and told them of the error. Then as i hadn't provided readings a bill was raised on 12th September using estimated readings up until 12th September! Again i went onto online and explained i'd left and required a final bill and a refund of the amount owed to me.

Today a bill has indeed been generated based on the readings i provided on 31st August. However this was accompanied by emails of unpaid direct debit for the usual monthly payment and another saying the direct debit was cancelled. Thank goodness i had cancelled the direct debit through the bank else i'd be asking for that back too. I'm now owed £39 by them but essentially it appears my account with them has continued in the same ways as if i was no longer supplied by them.

I await my refund which i assume will have to be made via cheque as i don't have an active direct debit at my bank.
    It will get resolved one way or another. and i will get my money..either via them or via the energy regulator and small claims court. but this company are a joke and i wish i'd never moved to them. If you leave them make sure you provide final meter readings to them as well as who your joining and cancel your direct debit. Personally i don't think MSE should even have them on their cheap energy club site as have been nothing but issues with every communication and bill i've had with them.

Incidentally you can't get support via phone but when you leave they phone you up to try find out why. I like the idea of their membership fee rather than standing charges but that's about all..the actual implementation is dire. On the plus side you can always get hold of them via online chat to sort out whatever your latest issue with them is although since i've left their attitude towards me is not inducive to me ever wanting to be a customer ever again. I would imagine they won't be around for much longer unless they get their act together.
    Last edited by andrew-b; 14-09-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th Sep 18, 12:01 PM
    • 10,701 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I noticed online today that my last couple of OFTM bills have been cancelled (the last one just reversed and nothing in its place yet). This could be because I submitted meter readings after the bills had been issued (their meter reading window is too short for me).

I'm awaiting developments...

Based on my own calculations, I need to increase my DD - anyone any ideas on the best way to do this?

• drphila
    • By drphila 14th Sep 18, 4:02 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    drphila
    Price Increase Imminent
    Just been to site for quote and got this message:

Hi there,
    Thank you for visiting us here at Outfox the Market.
    Operating with complete transparency is very important to us and we strongly believe that honesty is always the best policy.
    With this in mind, we think it is only fair to let you know that our prices are likely to increase in the next few weeks.
    Wholesale prices.
    Wholesale prices have continued to increase in 2018 with the majority of suppliers announcing price increases.
    We make zero profit on the energy we supply to our customer’s homes and unfortunately, this makes a price change inevitable in the coming weeks.
    We wanted to make sure you were aware of the situation before you make the decision to switch.
    It is important to us that our customers know what the future may hold.
    Please note — We will always provide at least 30 days-notice of any price change.
    Thank you again and we hope to welcome you as a customer soon.

On the one hand, this is, of course, disappointing, but I do admire them for their honesty - it would have been very easy to say nothing
    • singhini
    • By singhini 14th Sep 18, 8:19 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    singhini
    but I do admire them for their honesty - it would have been very easy to say nothing
    Originally posted by drphila
    Dito #drphila I generated a quote yesterday and saw the same message and I thought that was honest of them too.

I'm with Bulb currently and my prices will increase on 11th Nov and so I am eagerly waiting to see what OFTM's prices might be rising too
    • holiday_pie
    • By holiday_pie 15th Sep 18, 2:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    holiday_pie
    A small provider with an inadequate IT infrastructure to bill correctly. Wouldn't recommend.

Customer since January 2018 - found from MSE Energy Club. Provide a meter reading every month, based on an email request from Outfox the market.

Discovered due to their billing system, we have been underpaying by nearly double per month. At no point was we made aware of this, until reviewing the portal today.

The only option at this stage is to triple our direct debit until the balance is closer being paid off, as Outfox the market may object to us moving providers until cleared.
    • drphila
    • By drphila 15th Sep 18, 5:45 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    drphila

I'm with Bulb currently and my prices will increase on 11th Nov and so I am eagerly waiting to see what OFTM's prices might be rising too
    Originally posted by singhini

I'm in same situation with Bulb and will do the same. Currently OFTM are £158 cheaper (definitely worth it, I think, despite their limitations) but a 10% rise would reduce the difference to around £100 and then its not so clear cut, IMO
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

367Posts Today

5,151Users online

Martin's Twitter