Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 87Posts
    • 24Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Outfox the Market
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Outfox the Market 6th Dec 17 at 4:58 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Outfox the Market

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 12
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 30th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    • 10,787 Posts
    • 11,193 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I switched from Scottish Power to OTM last month, and it went through quickly with no issues. (Actually thinking about it, I think I still owe Scottish Power some money).

After a month, OTM seem to think that my account £15 in credit, which I don't think is accurate, but other than that they seem okay to me, and of course they are cheap.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 30-07-2018 at 6:03 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • martyp
    • By martyp 7th Aug 18, 5:11 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    martyp
    It's probably not possible but no harm in asking - has anyone found anywhere you can get cashback for switching to Outfox the Market? I would assume not which is why they're so cheap anyway but just thought I'd throw that one out there before switching...
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 7th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I started with Outfox the Market on 3rd July and less than 1 week later.

For the average household on a dual fuel tariff, this will add £4.41 a month or £52.92 a year to your bill. These changes will come into effect on the 8th August 2018.

Very disappointed.
    Originally posted by Mistymorn33

I am not ready to switch yet, but I did a compare and OFM came out cheapest. Just wonder whether the compare site takes into account the new price, or maybe new customers get a discount?

• takman
    • By takman 8th Aug 18, 1:32 PM
    • 3,702 Posts
    • 3,353 Thanks
    takman
    I am not ready to switch yet, but I did a compare and OFM came out cheapest. Just wonder whether the compare site takes into account the new price, or maybe new customers get a discount?
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    I asked them a few weeks ago and they said new customers were already being quoted the new prices.
    • colonelblighty
    • By colonelblighty 12th Aug 18, 12:27 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    colonelblighty
    Time to revisit this thread and after persevering with their quite frankly poor customer service in comparison to the big suppliers. I am finally settled with them with DD being taken on the date I want and with inputting the energy readings on the date they want I seem to be finally saving money. Not sure it was worth the effort but perhaps I will change my mind come the winter and my gas usage ramps up.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 13th Aug 18, 12:12 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    hubb
    I always have fixed deals but OTM seems to be offering the cheapest at variable. I am teetering on going with this but fear of price hikes come winter.
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 13th Aug 18, 1:03 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    I always have fixed deals but OTM seems to be offering the cheapest at variable. I am teetering on going with this but fear of price hikes come winter.
    Originally posted by hubb
    I'm in the same boat. I might go for a fixed tariff just in case there are price hikes during the winter.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 13th Aug 18, 2:23 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    hubb
    Avro seems to be better customer service than OTM and offer a reasonable fixed, no exit fees tariff.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 13th Aug 18, 4:00 PM
    • 5,121 Posts
    • 20,420 Thanks
    Merlin139
    Avro seems to be better customer service than OTM and offer a reasonable fixed, no exit fees tariff.
    For me on a fixed tariff they would be £97.37 per year more on 2300 kWh's Elec and 9500 kWh's Gas.

Now account is up and running had no real problems with OFTM. Read my meter when they ask and submit readings and my statement appears around 10 days later. Have responded quickly to any email I have sent them. Excellent compared to my last supplier Iresa.
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 13th Aug 18, 5:29 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    hubb
    For me on a fixed tariff they would be £97.37 per year more on 2300 kWh's Elec and 9500 kWh's Gas.

Now account is up and running had no real problems with OFTM. Read my meter when they ask and submit readings and my statement appears around 10 days later. Have responded quickly to any email I have sent them. Excellent compared to my last supplier Iresa.
    Originally posted by Merlin139
    So you would go for fixed instead of variable ?
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 13th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 5,121 Posts
    • 20,420 Thanks
    Merlin139
    So you would go for fixed instead of variable ?
    I would go for a fixed rate. You know what you will be paying each month if your usage is correct. Obviously the fees to leave early maybe a problem unless you know you are not likely to move property.

I have been taking fixed rate deals for the last 6 years with various companies. When I come to renew I do a whole of market search and choose probably the cheapest. Sometimes you get poor service as with Iresa but most of them I have had no problems with I think because I give regular readings.

I have just over 250 readings over the last 16 years of living in this house for both Electric and Gas.
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
    • andrew-b
    • By andrew-b 13th Aug 18, 7:56 PM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    andrew-b
    Anyone with outfoxthemarket please check your bills closely after the price change on 8th August.

They tried to overcharge me by £3.08..not much but soon adds up when done on a large scale.

When i looked at my 11th August bill my usage was calculated at 593.4 kWh of electricity for the last 31 days. I had actually provided the meter reading on the 11th but they still came up with estimated bill as they have done every month that i have provided readings either on or close to the bill date. They then charged me for 278.5 units of electricity at the new higher price for just a few days!
    Clearly a mistake and i accept that mistakes can be made but what i was not prepared for was the half hour argument to get them to correct it with them claiming the bill was correct. Much of their argument was that i hadn't provided a meter reading on the day of the price increase yet they had managed to correctly calculate the charges for gas. In the end i just provided a meter reading for the 8th August by calculating it myself so that i would be charged correctly as they are clearly unable to work it out for themselves! They accepted that reading, generated a new bill on the spot and i was charged correctly eventually.

The price may well still be fairly cheap but for me it's not worth it and i shall be moving away after just 4 months as i can already get a better deal elsewhere by going to seperate suppliers.
    Last edited by andrew-b; 13-08-2018 at 8:00 PM.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 13th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    hubb
    Anyone with outfoxthemarket please check your bills closely after the price change on 8th August.

They tried to overcharge me by £3.08..not much but soon adds up when done on a large scale.

When i looked at my 11th August bill my usage was calculated at 593.4 kWh of electricity for the last 31 days. I had actually provided the meter reading on the 11th but they still came up with estimated bill as they have done every month that i have provided readings either on or close to the bill date. They then charged me for 278.5 units of electricity at the new higher price for just a few days!
    Clearly a mistake and i accept that mistakes can be made but what i was not prepared for was the half hour argument to get them to correct it with them claiming the bill was correct. Much of their argument was that i hadn't provided a meter reading on the day of the price increase yet they had managed to correctly calculate the charges for gas. In the end i just provided a meter reading for the 8th August by calculating it myself so that i would be charged correctly as they are clearly unable to work it out for themselves! They accepted that reading, generated a new bill on the spot and i was charged correctly eventually.

The price may well still be fairly cheap but for me it's not worth it and i shall be moving away after just 4 months as i can already get a better deal elsewhere by going to seperate suppliers.
    Originally posted by andrew-b
    Separate suppliers would be a real headache surely ?
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 14th Aug 18, 7:10 AM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Separate suppliers would be a real headache surely ?
    What makes you think that? There is no difficulty with having separate suppliers for gas and electricity. The only difference is in providing readings to two companies rather than one. I do this and it takes me all of two minutes to complete and those two minutes save me well over £100 per year compared to the cheapest dual fuel deal.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 14th Aug 18, 12:03 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    hubb
    What makes you think that? There is no difficulty with having separate suppliers for gas and electricity. The only difference is in providing readings to two companies rather than one. I do this and it takes me all of two minutes to complete and those two minutes save me well over £100 per year compared to the cheapest dual fuel deal.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    I can see separate suppliers at fixed work out slightly more expensive for duel fuel fixed so it seems to be untrue that you can get a cheaper fixed price this way. Just make sure you go with two companies that have great reviews if separate.

OFTM are no longer showing in my searches anyway now.
    Last edited by hubb; 14-08-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    • andrew-b
    • By andrew-b 14th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    andrew-b
    All depends on usage and area as to whether you save or not. In the end I've decided to move to SSE with dual fuel as I gain back £140 warm home discount and also get £46 topcashback which saves me over £70 compared to OFTM plus the security of a 12 month price fix If I'd used mse cheapenergy club it worked out I would have saved about £60 with separate suppliers so still a saving but less with dual fuel at SSE - only the topcashback that clinched dual fuel again for me. I used to be an Atlantic (SSE) customer for a long time and found the customer service good but left for cheaper deals. Either way I get a better deal.

Incidentally I noticed in the "corrected" bill that they had also lowered the calorific value for gas from 36.6 to 36.3 for the same bill. The consistency in billing seems poor. The attitude of online chat was what got me though. I've dealt with plenty of billing issues but never before been treated like I was. Unless they change I can't see them lasting for long.
    Last edited by andrew-b; 14-08-2018 at 1:10 PM.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 14th Aug 18, 1:55 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    hubb
    All depends on usage and area as to whether you save or not. In the end I've decided to move to SSE with dual fuel as I gain back £140 warm home discount and also get £46 topcashback which saves me over £70 compared to OFTM plus the security of a 12 month price fix If I'd used mse cheapenergy club it worked out I would have saved about £60 with separate suppliers so still a saving but less with dual fuel at SSE - only the topcashback that clinched dual fuel again for me. I used to be an Atlantic (SSE) customer for a long time and found the customer service good but left for cheaper deals. Either way I get a better deal.

Incidentally I noticed in the "corrected" bill that they had also lowered the calorific value for gas from 36.6 to 36.3 for the same bill. The consistency in billing seems poor. The attitude of online chat was what got me though. I've dealt with plenty of billing issues but never before been treated like I was. Unless they change I can't see them lasting for long.
    So I take it the Cheap Energy Club isn't the cheapest search for energy prices, or do you go through Top Cashback when you have done the search at the energy club ?

And what is "warm home discount" ?
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 14th Aug 18, 3:34 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I can see separate suppliers at fixed work out slightly more expensive for duel fuel fixed so it seems to be untrue that you can get a cheaper fixed price this way. Just make sure you go with two companies that have great reviews if separate.

OFTM are no longer showing in my searches anyway now.
    Not true. Energy prices are region specific and the overall cost is dependent on personal usage, which is why no one company is best for everyone. For me, all the dual fuel deals are more expensive than using individual suppliers.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 14th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    ValiantSon

The calorific value is a variable factor and changes from time to time with all suppliers. This is nothing to do with increasing costs, but rather how much energy is produced by the gas supplied.
    • ogwellian
    • By ogwellian 14th Aug 18, 5:12 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ogwellian
    Having trouble reducing the membership fee to match our consumption. We're in a new build so they can't possible use two year's history.

They put me on the £10.99, even though in our first six months we only used 600. We're well below the 2,400 threshold. They had me on 3574.

They agreed it as too high and confirmed they'd drop the estimate to 1,347 and put me on £6.99 and backdate the overcharged amounts.

My July statement came in and I was charged £8.99 with no refund for the previous months.

I emailed them again and they replied:-

I do apologise, the latest data flow which we received stated that your Estimated Annual Consumption is 3210.3 and we therefore cannot amend it any lower. This means that the Membership Fee will stay at £8.99.

Where do I go from here!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,446Posts Today

7,832Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• a) I dont believe it is misleading b) I don't believe my poll is badly worded, and certainly don't know it is. If? https://t.co/0DduzIaHBk

• Are you overdrawn, if so typically by how much just before you're paid? (sorry for a 2nd poll in a day, but it'll? https://t.co/RwDJ6ZkYQw

• Follow Martin