Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 91Posts
    • 24Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Outfox the Market
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Outfox the Market 6th Dec 17 at 4:58 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Outfox the Market

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 10
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 15th May 18, 5:07 PM
    • 6,593 Posts
    • 4,230 Thanks
    Hengus
    I've been a customer for 2 months; we only have electricity and are a very high user at 18,000kwh per annum (we have an electric aga!). All went smoothly. And I should save c £800 pa. This is definitely worth the risk - any supplier who goes bust gets 'bought' by one of the other 67 suppliers and credits (if indeed you have one) are normally taken on as part of the deal with Ofgem. And worse outcome is Supplier of Last Resort.
    I've worked in the industry for years; the risk vs reward is worth it in my opinion.

Watch this space!
    Originally posted by Lyncj01
    Donít forget the Consumer Levy. The Coop got over £10M when GBEnergy went bust - paid for by all energy consumers on future bills.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 15th May 18, 5:22 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    Donít forget the Consumer Levy. The Coop got over £10M when GBEnergy went bust - paid for by all energy consumers on future bills.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Any company is able to go bust. Yes, their is a slimmer chance for the larger ones going to the wall, but not impossible.
    • Lyncj01
    • By Lyncj01 15th May 18, 5:38 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Lyncj01
    Yes BUT the point I am making is that when energy supply companies go bust the customer is 'protected' by law through supplier of last resort (which means you would never get cut off) AND in most cases another supplier will pick up the customer base and honour the credits (albeit that all consumers end up picking up the tab through future energy bill)... what is there to loose?!!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 15th May 18, 5:54 PM
    • 6,593 Posts
    • 4,230 Thanks
    Hengus
    Yes BUT the point I am making is that when energy supply companies go bust the customer is 'protected' by law through supplier of last resort (which means you would never get cut off) AND in most cases another supplier will pick up the customer base and honour the credits (albeit that all consumers end up picking up the tab through future energy bill)... what is there to loose?!!
    Originally posted by Lyncj01
    Nothing to lose at all for those who want to play the energy market. However, the Consumer Levy is, in my opinion, inherently unfair on those who choose to remain with the established suppliers. Ofgem should have insisted on all suppliers holding an insurance bond similar to that required by the airlines. Consumer credits would still be fully protected but the cost of failure would sit with the supplier!!!8217;s insurer.
    • Lyncj01
    • By Lyncj01 15th May 18, 6:03 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Lyncj01
    Totally agree with you - as gas (and power) prices rise we will no doubt see more of these small players going under and it's unfair for the cost of this to be spread across all consumers. That's how the market works at the moment though; a few good sharp shocks and Ofgem may have to reassess this. There should also be more stringent entry criteria for new suppliers.
    • barnesy1977
    • By barnesy1977 16th May 18, 4:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    barnesy1977
    Terrible service. Very unprofessional. Can't see them lasting long
    VERY unhappy with this company.

I only recently joined them, and they have increased my monthly subscription by almost 30% in a matter of days. I have had no say in this nor have I agreed to it.

It seems that monthly subscription fees (which are mandatory as part of their energy tariffs) do not form part of the fixed tariff price and can be increased at their will ? I suspect this is the genius of their business model. In theory I guess they could increase this by any amount at any time ?

I won't be accepting this and so am moving to another supplier after just 1 month. I have a right to appeal the exit fees, so if there are othes in this same trap, do not be put off by their exit fees.

In addition to this, I had no reply to 2 emails about the tariff cost and when I did eventually receive a reply it was abrupt and unfriendly.

The small amount I thought I'd be saving each month has now been outweighed by this increase but instead I have worse Customer Service than my previous supplier, plus I am at the mercy of the next time they chose to increase their monthly tariff.

Their website is terrible and has no usability. It looks like it has been made by a 12year kid using freeware!

Save the hassle and go elsewhere.
    • chrisb79
    • By chrisb79 25th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    chrisb79
    Poor Service
    At the moment i'm not sure the financial saving is worth all the effort i'm having to put in and the very poor customer service.

Had to make contact 3 times due to various errors. Now find out that they have created duplicate accounts in error. Then closed both accounts down in error.

They did not spot these mistakes and it was only me contacting them
    ( again ! ) that has highlighted the issue.

I seem to be doing their job for them !!!!!!!!!
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 27th May 18, 12:11 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    camelot1971
    Coming up to my 3rd direct debit (and 2 months with them) - still no statement produced although I am putting in the meter readings every month. Very odd. Perhaps they only produce quarterly statements?
    • boliston
    • By boliston 27th May 18, 3:15 PM
    • 2,797 Posts
    • 2,380 Thanks
    boliston
    Coming up to my 3rd direct debit (and 2 months with them) - still no statement produced although I am putting in the meter readings every month. Very odd. Perhaps they only produce quarterly statements?
    Originally posted by camelot1971
    that sounds odd - i have been with them since 6th jan and have had 4 statements although the statements get generated about a week after submitting each read - you must have quite a credit balnce by now without any debit entries!
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 29th May 18, 6:02 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    camelot1971
    that sounds odd - i have been with them since 6th jan and have had 4 statements although the statements get generated about a week after submitting each read - you must have quite a credit balnce by now without any debit entries!
    Originally posted by boliston
    3 x £62, although by my calculations we are using less than that - about £50 a month. I'll email them and see whats going on!
    • rightfoot_shifter
    • By rightfoot_shifter 16th Jun 18, 8:25 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rightfoot_shifter
    Monthly statements
    Do Outfox the Market do monthly bill statements as standard?
    Last edited by rightfoot_shifter; 16-06-2018 at 8:27 AM. Reason: clarity
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 16th Jun 18, 8:41 AM
    • 5,303 Posts
    • 20,754 Thanks
    Merlin139
    Do Outfox the Market do monthly bill statements as standard?
    Originally posted by rightfoot_shifter
    IF you read your meter once a month as asked and submit your readings when requested then that's what they give you a monthly statement.

Moved to them 28/02/18 and I have had 3 statements, 27/03,27/04,27/05
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 16th Jun 18, 9:52 AM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    MABLE
    [QUOTE=barnesy1977;74293209]

It seems that monthly subscription fees (which are mandatory as part of their energy tariffs) do not form part of the fixed tariff price and can be increased at their will ? I suspect this is the genius of their business model. In theory I guess they could increase this by any amount at any time ?

And that is exactly why I decided not to go with them.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 16th Jun 18, 1:58 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    camelot1971
    [QUOTE=MABLE;74415700]

And that is exactly why I decided not to go with them.
    Originally posted by barnesy1977
    You can leave without penalty too. They are a lot cheaper for me than any other provider. They sorted out the statement issue for me too.
    • wild666
    • By wild666 16th Jun 18, 6:12 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    wild666
    NB58 what I do if it goes wrong is issue what I call a notice of intention, you give them a set period, 14 or 21 days to comply or you issue legal proceedings against them on the following day, 15 or 22, check email and that day mail if possible to see if they haven't crossed. Then you don't stop even if they sort it at a later date you proceed for out of pocket expenses and compensation. I do quite a few and haven't failed yet.
    I am composing one now for Bradley Goodfellow the head of operations at OFTM, I gave him permission to contact my old provider and ask for a complete reading of the free time & standard reading then add them together or face legal action if they don't sort it in 21 days as soon as it's sorted I am leaving them I would rather pay a bit more than get messed about by them for months or years on end.
    Someone please tell me what money is
    • NeilW
    • By NeilW 20th Jun 18, 1:00 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    NeilW
    So far so good from my perspective. The statements are supposed to be issued monthly but may not show up. At which point you get on the webchat and one of the operators generates a bill for you there and then. It appeared instantly once the button had been pressed.

Don't expect silver service from OFTM. It's very much a no frills experience. If it goes well then you'll get cheap '100% green' electricity for not a lot of money.
    • Scatty
    • By Scatty 20th Jun 18, 1:14 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Scatty
    NB58 what I do if it goes wrong is issue what I call a notice of intention, you give them a set period, 14 or 21 days to comply or you issue legal proceedings against them on the following day, 15 or 22, check email and that day mail if possible to see if they haven't crossed. Then you don't stop even if they sort it at a later date you proceed for out of pocket expenses and compensation. I do quite a few and haven't failed yet.
    I am composing one now for Bradley Goodfellow the head of operations at OFTM, I gave him permission to contact my old provider and ask for a complete reading of the free time & standard reading then add them together or face legal action if they don't sort it in 21 days as soon as it's sorted I am leaving them I would rather pay a bit more than get messed about by them for months or years on end.
    Originally posted by wild666

As you know, we are in this boat together! I am still awaiting them agreeing that the readings SHOULD be added together so I'm watching your journey with interest.
    Woohoohoohooooooooo
    • kfdub
    • By kfdub 25th Jun 18, 12:56 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kfdub
    Wow - after reading all the feedback here, I'm now sure I won't make a switch to them. Big thanks for all the experiences and concerns posted.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 26th Jun 18, 7:01 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    editor1
    Switched early April, thus far no issues and now saving a fair bit according to MSE Energy Club as took out the January 18 month fixed deal, which ends in October 2019 - now not on offer.

Its no frills, their service ain't as bad as some have made out and over the contract we'll save about £400 compared with today's prices.

Not more i can add, but prefer my folks paying £85.00 a month, compared with £110 a month with First Utility or Ovo.

If it goes pear shaped, well, we'll cross that bridge when it happens.
    • WhoIsThat
    • By WhoIsThat 27th Jun 18, 12:27 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    WhoIsThat
    I am composing one now for ************* [Removed] the head of operations at OFTM, I gave him permission to contact my old provider and ask for a complete reading of the free time & standard reading then add them together or face legal action if they don't sort it in 21 days as soon as it's sorted I am leaving them I would rather pay a bit more than get messed about by them for months or years on end.
    Originally posted by wild666
    Well 11 days on, and so only 3-10 days left, it seems you are up for your first failure
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5861175

Especially as they have given you a task that will take at least 7 days for you to complete.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,197Users online

Martin's Twitter