Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • abibee
    • By abibee 5th Dec 17, 7:33 PM
    • 411Posts
    • 242Thanks
    abibee
    Recover passworded winrar file
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:33 PM
    Recover passworded winrar file 5th Dec 17 at 7:33 PM
    I have a winrar passworded .rar file I saved and password protected a year or two ago. I've since forgotten the password I used, and the contents of the file are valuable to me. I've looked around the net and there seems to me to be so many 'solutions' using software that looks a little iffy to me.
    Can anyone suggest a recovery solution that works for sure? I'd pay for a software that can be trusted to work.
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 5th Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    This is free, runs on the command line:
    http://www.crark.net/

Note that if your password is super-super long, it may take a while if at all to find it.
    • abibee
    • By abibee 5th Dec 17, 8:09 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    abibee
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:09 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:09 PM
    This is free, runs on the command line:
    http://www.crark.net/

Note that if your password is super-super long, it may take a while if at all to find it.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    I'll have a look at that, thanks. Though I've not used the command line much before.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Dec 17, 10:19 PM
    • 26,970 Posts
    • 10,865 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:19 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:19 PM
    Dictionary attack is fast if you used words or phrases or something that gets used a lot.

Super fast compared to a force attack, although my dictionary file has grown somewhat since i first used it.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • abibee
    • By abibee 18th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    abibee
    • 18th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 18th May 18, 7:50 PM
    I thought I'd revisit this, I'd forgotten about the file and it's still passworded!

Does anyone have a Winrar password recovery programme they can recommend, I'm happy to pay for a programme that works. Searches bring up lots of dodgy 'free' software.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 18th May 18, 8:17 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 18th May 18, 8:17 PM
    • 18th May 18, 8:17 PM
    All you can realistically do is throw a dictionary-based attack at the file such as the took I linked to above. The reason is explained on the above site, I have emphasised the key bits:

RAR/WinRAR archiver version 2.x used its proprietary, but rather strong encryption algorithm. At least no RAR 2.0 attacks were known except brute force for password recovery

Starting from version 3.0, RAR has been using a strong AES algorithm, which also doesn't allow any attacks more effective than the brute force. ... brute force on modern CPU only [throws] several hundreds passwords per second.

RAR 5.0 encryption is the same, [but] the rate is even slower (25-100% on different hardware comparing to RAR 3.0). This carries inference that RAR password encryption is one of the strongest [out there].
    TL;DR - you're probably stuffed in all honesty. If your password was more than probably eight characters long, you'll have little chance of getting it back quickly if at all. You may as well just find a program such as above and let it run for a few days, cross your fingers, toes and other sticky-out bits and hope for the best.

At the risk of sounding flippant, maybe the moral of the story is if you're going to password a file, try and remember your password
    Last edited by Neil Jones; 18-05-2018 at 8:22 PM.
    • abibee
    • By abibee 18th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    abibee
    • 18th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 18th May 18, 8:24 PM
    Flippant is ok. I knew passwording that file wasn't a good idea, but I just had to do it. *sigh*
    • abibee
    • By abibee 18th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    abibee
    • 18th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 18th May 18, 8:41 PM
    Holy smokes, I just managed to get the password, this has been on my mind for months on and off, and I've just got it! I'm happy!

My god.

<Thread closed>
    Last edited by abibee; 18-05-2018 at 8:43 PM.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 19th May 18, 10:08 AM
    • 2,683 Posts
    • 1,552 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 19th May 18, 10:08 AM
    • 19th May 18, 10:08 AM
    Holy smokes
    Originally posted by abibee
    If that's the password, I wouldn't put it in a public forum!
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 19th May 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Glad there was a good outcome here. Others may not be so lucky.
    • abibee
    • By abibee 19th May 18, 12:23 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    abibee
    Moral of the story... write your passwords down on paper (good idea). Even better idea, don't set a password after a glass of wine (or other alcohol drink).
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 19th May 18, 4:07 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 2,968 Thanks
    John Gray
    Moral of the story... write your passwords down on paper (good idea). Even better idea, don't set a password after a glass of wine (or other alcohol drink).
    Originally posted by abibee
    Really, you should store your passwords in an encrypted file.
    Or use a password manager...
    • zimou13
    • By zimou13 19th May 18, 8:49 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    zimou13
    Recover passworded winrar file
    So you need to know about the method to find the password of a WinRAR file. I will share one of my experience, which will help you to address the issue. Recently I downloaded a game file from torrent and well same thing happened to me. It has a password and i tried searching for internet for hours to get a solution.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 21st May 18, 11:41 AM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    AndyPix
    ^^ And that helps the OP address the issue how ?

Spammer in the making
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,073Posts Today

5,347Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin