Freeview Recorder

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    teddysmum wrote: »
    People sell them before the owners remind them that a return is required,so they end up paying the owner more than they got on Ebay.
    Talktalk has definitely NOT requested the return of my late partners Youview recorder from Sept 2016 when the contract ended . I was the executor so I can vouch for the accuracy of that statement.
    Makes you wonder what Sky. Virgin Talktalk etc would want anyway with old second hand electronics which they will surely bin.Cheaper to let them go .My Mums old Sky plus box was also not requested to be returned when she died
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Talktalk has definitely NOT requested the return of my late partners Youview recorder from Sept 2016 when the contract ended . I was the executor so I can vouch for the accuracy of that statement.
    Makes you wonder what Sky. Virgin Talktalk etc would want anyway with old second hand electronics which they will surely bin.Cheaper to let them go .My Mums old Sky plus box was also not requested to be returned when she died
    After your minimum term is up TalkTalk/BT Youview boxes become the property of the user. The question was about Sky Q boxes though, not Youview.
  • dobbiesloan
    dobbiesloan Posts: 2,211 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Buzby wrote: »
    Virgin never hid the fact TiVo was their kit! Any device stating Freeview Play will give you what you want - mines a Panasonic.
    They defiantly never told me. I was with NTL before virgin took them over. It was when I haggled with them over a price increase they offered me the box at no extra charge. I knew that I was paying for the tv package witch would be no use to anyone if it did not go through a box.

I was on sky before that and when I stopped that I just threw the box away.
    GONE ENGLAND
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2017 at 9:50AM
    The topic is Freeview recorders - the BT/Humax youview's (T2100) are the best of the newer ones, secondhand, anyway - saw one recently in a charity shop for £5 with remote!

As has been pointed out, the Talktalk ones are pretty useless, & need lots of ventilation too, unless you live in a strong signal area - they can be OK then, but they only have a 320gb HDD, the BT/Humax ones, have 500GB.

The older T1000 BT Humax, can be obtained at a good price, but can be slow & prone to fail.
    But for someone on a tight budget, can be a good option.

In all cases, it is a good idea to update the software by connecting to a router - the later software, is more stable.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would think you would have to have a TalkTalk broadband catchup contract to get it to work with the catch-up Iplayer services but should work ok for basic recording

AFAIK, iPlayer etc will work just fine. You'll lose any premium channels you'd be subscribed to on TalkTalk or BT like BT Sport for example, but all the 'catch up' needs is 'internet'.

The comment you replied to was specific to the Sky Q boxes referred to above. It also applies to anyone selling a Virgin Media box - those remain the property of Sky/Virgin.
    Makes you wonder what Sky. Virgin Talktalk etc would want anyway with old second hand electronics which they will surely bin.Cheaper to let them go

They don't necessarily want them, just don't want you making money out of them.
    They defiantly never told me

You probably signed a contract - it'll be in there somewhere, and it probably also goes back as far as NTL/Cabletel days too.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    How do you people getaway with selling Sky Q boxes on ebay, then?

Same as VM TiVo's I suspect on Ebay.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    They defiantly never told me.

It has never been a secret and once they disconnect the cable feed externally it will be come a brick anyway.
  • dobbiesloan
    Thanks guys. went with boatman's suggestion https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352053735173
    waiting for it to arrive.
    GONE ENGLAND
  • dobbiesloan
    LOL Virgin has just phoned me and offered me 100MG and everything I had for £11:00 less than I was paying or £1:00 more than I am paying for 50MG stand alone broadband.
    GONE ENGLAND
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport