Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 4th Dec 17, 5:57 PM
    • 2,303Posts
    • 1,399Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Exit brexit?
    • 4th Dec 17, 5:57 PM
    Exit brexit? 4th Dec 17 at 5:57 PM
    Proving to be a bit more difficult than imagined, isn’t it?

We’re a special case. So is London, so is Scotland, so is Gibraltar.

What’s the likelihood of it just not happening at all?
Page 8
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 9th Jul 18, 1:39 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 2,131 Thanks
    donnac2558
    I think I might well be dead by the time Brexit goes through if it ever does.

Sterling down just in time for the holiday period.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 9th Jul 18, 6:59 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 1,399 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Not much of a surprise there. The pound is down based on the fact that its hard for the market to predict what will happen and as such they dont like betting on things that are uncertain.[/QUOTE]

I jumped the gun - the pound gained a bit later on in the day.
    Does this mean the loss of these brexiteers is seen as a boost to the possibility of no Brexit?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • CEON44
    • By CEON44 9th Jul 18, 9:06 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    CEON44
    I didnt vote and not really bothered if we are in or out, but what does it mean for democracy if Brexit is postponed or cancelled altogether. Remainers have thrown up as many obstacles as possible, aided and abetted by Barnier, Tusk etc. If these clowns hadnt made a fool of David Cameron in the first place we wouldnt be in this position. When he went looking for concessions they laughed at him, and the country, and sent him home like a little boy. Now they are still doing it and we as a country are letting them
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left
    • guiriman
    • By guiriman 9th Jul 18, 9:36 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    guiriman
    Does this mean the loss of these brexiteers is seen as a boost to the possibility of no Brexit?
    It may just mean that the likelihood of a soft Brexit went up and that the markets see that as a good thing
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Jul 18, 12:32 PM
    • 16,913 Posts
    • 10,059 Thanks
    motorguy

Not much of a surprise there. The pound is down based on the fact that its hard for the market to predict what will happen and as such they dont like betting on things that are uncertain.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    No it means somebody somewhere worked out how they could make a quick buck on the drop earlier on in the day
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 10th Jul 18, 12:49 PM
    • 22,006 Posts
    • 10,692 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Now they are still doing it and we as a country are letting them

What did you expect when we are leaving and it's 27 against 1.
    Extremely naive to expect to get your own way in that circumstance.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Jul 18, 1:16 PM
    • 16,913 Posts
    • 10,059 Thanks
    motorguy
    What did you expect when we are leaving and it's 27 against 1.
    Extremely naive to expect to get your own way in that circumstance.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    The UK is one of the largest economies in the world.

Our business is / will be worth a lot to the EU. We will probably be the largest single country they trade with.

Its not a matter of 27 votes against our 1 in terms of how we do business with them in future.

Its how we as one country, do business with the EU as one entity.

How they ratify that within their own bureaucracy heavy structure should not be of our concern.

If you think that the only answer is to negotiate everything away to ensure that 27 other countries are wholly satisfied, to our detriment, then i think its you thats being extremely naive.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 10th Jul 18, 2:49 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 1,399 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    The UK is one of the largest economies in the world.

Our business is / will be worth a lot to the EU. We will probably be the largest single country they trade with.

Its not a matter of 27 votes against our 1 in terms of how we do business with them in future.

Its how we as one country, do business with the EU as one entity.

How they ratify that within their own bureaucracy heavy structure should not be of our concern.

If you think that the only answer is to negotiate everything away to ensure that 27 other countries are wholly satisfied, to our detriment, then i think its you thats being extremely naive.
    I've no doubt some countries would be delighted to see us go, one being Slovakia which could acquire England's car factories pretty quickly.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • x12yhp
    • By x12yhp 14th Jul 18, 12:23 AM
    • 764 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    x12yhp
    It astounds me how many pro Brexit people see no downside. Our factory guys think it is great. If the uk ends up a third country, there will be redundancies, immediately. They think I am just letting of steam when I tell them.
    Always overestimating...
    • missile
    • By missile 14th Jul 18, 1:59 AM
    • 9,524 Posts
    • 4,750 Thanks
    missile
    ... Our factory guys think it is great. ....
    Originally posted by x12yhp
    Do we have any factories left?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • CEON44
    • By CEON44 14th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    • 267 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    CEON44
    It astounds me how many pro Brexit people see no downside. Our factory guys think it is great. If the uk ends up a third country, there will be redundancies, immediately. They think I am just letting of steam when I tell them.
    Just like it astounds me that anti Brexit people see no upside
    • x12yhp
    • By x12yhp 14th Jul 18, 12:52 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    x12yhp
    Do we have any factories left?
    Originally posted by missile
    Contrary to popular belief, NI has a fair bit of manufacturing. The UK as a whole the same. In both cases, a very significant part of the material supply is from outside of our borders, typically the EU. The entire sector has always stated the risks of leaving and is massively pro remain. Since the vote to leave, everything is harder.
    Always overestimating...
    • RikM
    • By RikM 14th Jul 18, 7:21 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    RikM
    Just like it astounds me that anti Brexit people see no upside
    Originally posted by CEON44
    Is there one? Did I miss something?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Jul 18, 7:31 PM
    • 16,913 Posts
    • 10,059 Thanks
    motorguy
    There will be down sides, there will be up sides.

Its happening, deal with it.
    • x12yhp
    • By x12yhp 14th Jul 18, 8:03 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    x12yhp

F-sake. HOW?

This is a useless comment. There is no way to deal with it properly. It is a WW2 grenade, someone pulled the pin and thrown it into a room full of kids. we are waiting to see if it will go off or it is a dud which we can sell on eBay for an unforeseen profit. The guy who threw it reckons he’s far enough away not to be hurt but hasn’t realised he was caught on camera.

There is only one safe plan - assume it will go to hell and get your business into the south. We have absolutely no evidence to tell us that won’t happen so we must plan for that eventuality. But that doesn’t really fit with the positive Brexit idea...
    Always overestimating...
    • CEON44
    • By CEON44 14th Jul 18, 8:49 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    CEON44
    Is there one? Did I miss something?
    Originally posted by RikM
    And there lies the problem. Cant see the wood for the trees
    • Zero Gravitas
    • By Zero Gravitas 15th Jul 18, 8:50 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    Zero Gravitas

Fixed that for you.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 15th Jul 18, 10:26 AM
    • 16,913 Posts
    • 10,059 Thanks
    motorguy
    Fixed that for you.
    Originally posted by Zero Gravitas
    We'll see...
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 15th Jul 18, 10:28 AM
    • 16,913 Posts
    • 10,059 Thanks
    motorguy
    F-sake. HOW?

This is a useless comment. There is no way to deal with it properly. It is a WW2 grenade, someone pulled the pin and thrown it into a room full of kids. we are waiting to see if it will go off or it is a dud which we can sell on eBay for an unforeseen profit. The guy who threw it reckons he!!!8217;s far enough away not to be hurt but hasn!!!8217;t realised he was caught on camera.

There is only one safe plan - assume it will go to hell and get your business into the south. We have absolutely no evidence to tell us that won!!!8217;t happen so we must plan for that eventuality. But that doesn!!!8217;t really fit with the positive Brexit idea...
    How is your subsequent "comment" anything other than useless too then?

And only one safe plan - to move your entire business in to the south on the off chance???

Get over yourself.

Theres only one safe plan - wait and see how it actually does pan out instead of getting all hysterical when we dont know what it will look like and then react to the positives and negatives.

Treat it as an opportunity. There will be those who thrive in it and there will be those that sink. Knee jerking and panicking is a fantastic way to ensure you're in the latter camp.
    Last edited by motorguy; 15-07-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 15th Jul 18, 10:38 AM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Zola.
    P45 for May, she wont last the next fortnight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

503Posts Today

5,703Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin