Wedding Loan

Comments

• The number of times wedding loans come up:mad::mad:

You don't need £20.000 to get married you just want to show all and sundry you are prepared to borrow for all the unnecessary stuff that you can splash all over Facebook.

Please get your priorities right, go for the house and then either get married on a shoestring or wait until :rotfl::rotfl: you can pay cash .
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Lars_Olsen wrote: »
    I need 20k for the wedding

To echo what others have said here - no you DON'T NEED 20K for a wedding. My own wedding cost less than £800, all in. And my friends & family were telling me for months afterwards how it was the best wedding they'd ever been to.

You say "I really need some advice on this" ... well, you've had some excellent advice already. Listen to that advice, or don't, it's up to you. But it's good advice. Why on earth do you want to start married life struggling to pay back a mortgage and a hefty personal loan on top ? It's pure madness, and a recipe for many future arguments, and much future misery.

Hey, but who cares what trouble Trolls get into ? They deserve it.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Sncjw wrote: »
    Going through process of a new house and getting married are two of the most stressful things you can do. To have them within a month of each other is bonkers.

THIS.

Spend what you like on your wedding - you're the one who will have to pay it back - but why on earth would you opt to organise a wedding and a house-buy-move at the same time?!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 December 2017 at 9:28PM
    I agree woth everyone else, it is a huge amount to spend on 1 day, yes it is to be a special day but what are you getting for £20k, a marching band, a live performance from a band or a magician.

End of the day its your wedding, can you not save up for it ?

The money you would use for paying the loan would surely be saved up somewhere so carry on saving. Take on a second job to increase your savjngs
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 174
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Dont get into debt for it..
    Save up if you can. As said before, 20k is a silly amount for a wedding. I'm sure that there are ways to economise.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    I was a guest at a wedding in July that cost a good deal more than £20K. Torrential rain and the bride's complete emotional melt down made it a day to remember, certainly, but not one anybody would want to repeat. One of the best weddings I ever attended cost a smidgen over £500 (in 2007). You really don't have to spend much to have a really great day with happy memories.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,649
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Cheap out on the wedding and spend the money on the house.

Unless it's an Indian/equivalent wedding where you need to invite 500 guests, £20k is a huge amount of money. You'd need a combined salary of £40k to be able to get that alone, and it'll whack £20k of what you can mortgage (roughly).

I bet you can get a very similar wedding for £5-10k and no-one will notice the difference. Ours cost £4500 all in.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,022
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Please don't get into debt for your wedding - it's a bad way to start your married life.

You can get married for under £500 and then have a family pub lunch.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • This is pure and simple clickbait.
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport