Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 4th Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    • 643Posts
    • 2,241Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Drawing a line under the debt. Take two.
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:37 AM
    Drawing a line under the debt. Take two. 4th Dec 17 at 8:37 AM
    So, I can't believe that I haven't updated my diary since the end of march. So much has happened in that time I feel a fresh new one is better. Here is the link to my previous one.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5585379

So what has happened. Well my husband FINALLY got a job! He was made redundant in April 2016 and started a new role in June 2017. In that time I was holding down two part time jobs so that we could pay the mortgage and bills and in that time I also made a bit of a dent in the debt we owed. The role he got was originally a six month contract through an agency so we were obviously concerned for the future, but within a month he was invited to apply for a full time position and got it. So since the end of September he has been back in a permanent role, and we have no concern that he won't pass his probationary period which is up just after Xmas. The job is also with a very good company, and he gets a discount card for two shops so that is great too. The only downside is that he has to take two trains to get there which is about £300 a month and he is only on what he was on in his previous job, but due to our finances being in much better shape now it is doable.

I started YNAB in Oct 16 and have used it very carefully for the past year. I adore it and plan to keep it forever

So what has been happening to the debt. Last time I was here I had cleared our big loan due to wanting to avoid having too much in savings because of a massive mistake by the job centre with my husband's JSA claim. He signed off the week after the interview we had with them and I was planning to xfer the child benefit to his name for his NI to be paid but then he landed the job. We have heard nothing from them at all. I still think they may try to claw back the money that we received that we shouldn't have and of course if that happens we will dispute it as we didn't lie or omit anything, it was a massive error in their part, but we will pay money back if we have to. But nothing, not a word at all

I had managed to get the debt down from 22k to 17k with aggressive debt payments but in may I received a decent sized inheritance from a family member. Enough to buy a new (to us) car (mine finally died in early September at 17yrs old) clear 10k of debt and do some of the much needed home improvements. The reason I didn't clear all the debts was that we would have been left with nothing at all for the home improvements (and I was bored of having half a kitchen and no bath) and our back fence fell down in July so we have had a lovely new back fence out up, and am getting the back garden landscaped, had a new bathroom put in, finished the kitchen (apart from tiling, need to save for this) plastered the rest of the house, and had some new carpets out in. The relative that left the money was huge on owning your own property and I felt I needed to use some of the money to add value to the house. There is still stuff to do and I am saving for that now.

So our debt stands at about 8k total. One loan and one interest free credit card. My go going forward is to not add to that and clear the credit card within the time limit.

This coming year we are planning two big holidays so everything spare is going towards that, I need £3500 by the end of march, I have £1000 towards that already but debt busting will be taking a bit of a backseat while I get all this money together.

Personally, I have quit one of my jobs. Once we knew my husband was employed full time by the company we looked at the finances and due to some quite serious issues our smallest child is having ongoing at school, we decided it was important that I was home more in the evening. Also the company that took us over a year ago are a shocking company to work for so the decision was an easy one to make and I quit my evening job. I miss it so much, it was a job I adored and I loved most of the people I worked with. But it was right for us as a family. So now I am self employed school hours, mon-fri, which is hard work. I get no time to myself and feel I am constantly playing catch up at home, but it needed to be done. The smallest boy did improve quite a bit after I finished work, but this past week has had a huge backslide again

Anyway enough about me now, I am off to catch up on the diaries I used to follow to see what everyone has been up to. So pleased to be back
Page 10
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 26th Apr 19, 6:39 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Omg today was hard! Had last Fri off and Fri before was one job down so easy. Back to 8hrs work until half term. It's always a really hard day, but the weekend has now begun.

Diet going well so far. Hoping to lose half a stone before our holiday at the end of May. I am hopeful anyway

Tomorrow I have three hours work with the boss and then getting a haircut. Need to o to town to the library too. Daughter is off on a DofE weekend, so have to be up early to get her to school. Hubby and the boy will go and see avengers on Sunday, was planing on them going and then me and the girl after so don't need to get childcare for the little two, forgot she was away. Can't do Monday eve as she has a tutoring session and Tuesday is a bit awkward so may be Wednesday. Hope I can stay away from any spoilers.

Anyway off to sort my hours out for my boss.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 30th Apr 19, 12:58 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Hours sent for April. Earnt a decent amount this month. But next month will be tight as away for half term. All my goals in ynab are looking good, cb and dla went in today so bank balance looking good.

The weekend however was a bit spendy. Went and bought a new sofa ours is broken at one end (had hoped for another year or so out of it) so it was a bit necessary. Anyway, I paid £370 deposit and have £31 a month over four years interest free. No penalty for overpaying. It won't be four years it's due to arrive in 10 weeks or so. So I have told hubby we need to get the carpet done first. This is the absolute last thing that needs doing INSIDE the house drains and garden and porch need work, but everything else, bar odd bits of painting, is done. So going to organise that this week. I actually like sitting in my house now. Only taken a decade

Anyway, rare Tuesday afternoon off so going to have a coffee and go ahead bar (diet still going OK!) and read my book
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 1st May 19, 5:53 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Managed a 4.5Ib weight loss this week, pleased with that. But away at in laws this weekend so will have to be careful.

Booked some more theatre tickets today for June. But I had the money set aside and am absolutely not booking anymore until the kids week sale for August and I have money set aside for that as been saving it as a goal in ynab.

Smallest boys birthday next week, have spent money on the credit card, just waiting for grandparents to give me the money back as it is presents from them. We are going camping as that is what he asked for, money in ynab already, and have enough for a card and cake. (I used to make fantastic cakes for my older two, but I lack the time and patience these days) need a bit for our birthday pick and mix bar we do, and some lego. Will have this on Friday when tax credits go in.

Otherwise doing OK. Did my jobs today and one of my clients is home after being in hospital for two months so was lovely to see him, house was a state, but will be lovely and shiny after a few weeks. He's one of those nice people, and I enjoy chatting with him as I clean.

Had an hour at home, planned to actually clean my bathroom, but I am just exhausted atm and couldn't face it. Saw endgame last night and didn't get home until 10.30, which is late for a work night and I didn't sleep in all weekend so think it's catching up with me. Early one tonight I think.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 1st May 19, 7:29 PM
    • 4,305 Posts
    • 26,257 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    4.5lbs is great. Well done
    Target by end of Aug goal: 1150/4000
    Car costs savings: 400
    Xmas savings 20
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 8th May 19, 3:30 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Half a pound weight loss this week. But have been away at in laws this weekend, had a huge roast and a chinese. I made some sensible choices but it was a bit of a holiday so didn't deprive myself.

Went camping as that's what the smallest wanted to do for his birthday. I need to remember I am not as young as I was. Everything aches from sleeping on a camp bed. I need to rethink my sleeping arrangements for guide camp. May need to wish farm a new camping bed.

Finances all intact. Off for pizza tonight for the birthday boy, I have checked the menu and pointed what I am having. Did an extra job yesterday and have two hours work on sat morning too.

Sat off to the Lion King, money all set aside for train and aa trip to 5 guys (again, already pointed a burger!) and Sunday we are booked to see detective pikachu at the cinema. Am so excited, all the kids are big pokemon fans as is hubby, and although I am not bothered normally the trailers looked awesome. So £50 for all of us! But it is rare, normally the little two don't do films (not sure the wierd one will do this one) but we are taking a risk and taking them all. If the small two get restless then there will be enough of us to sort them out.

Anyway best go and clean the kitchen.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 9th May 19, 9:18 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Long day today, am shattered. Smallest was so tired he got really emotional after his swimming lesson. He is really struggling with it, may have to rethink them.

Low spend day, just a couple of bits from @sda,but the fridge and freezer are stuffed and meals planned until we go on holiday at the end of May. Really looking forward to it, need to start researching what we will do there.

Tomorrow me and hubby will be sorting a new mortgage deal. Think we will stay with rbs, we might shave an extra £10 off by shifting providers, but I only have 2yrs tax returns (when I do this last year's one, worked it out just got to do it officially) and it seems a bit pointless doing a whole new application for £10 Saving. We won't be moving, I think it was a bit of a pipedream, but we will possibly only folix for two years rather than five this time.

Anyway off to bed, it's my tough day tomorrow, and I have an early start on sat too, as have two hours extra before travelling to London.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 16th May 19, 12:31 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Wow been a week since up dating!

Went to the Lion King with the smallest, he loved it :J really glad of my bargain £20 seats, brilliant view. He struggled with London again, its just so big and noisy and busy. We walked to the west end as he is not a fan of the tube, and I went through some quieter back streets which helped.

Cinema on Sunday, loved the film and even the weird one sat quietly through it.

Been a tough week work wise, did an extra job yesterday, after spending my afternoon off with a friend which was lovely. The extra job was less lovely, but on the plus side it was the kind of job where it looked so much better afterwards, sometimes those are nice.

Diet not going brilliantly, had another challenging weekend. Sts, so not too bad, want another 2Ib off before our holiday, am hopeful.

Had a cancellation today, so met up with my sister which was a nice treat. We so rarely get the changlce these days as the two days she is off I am working.

Finally got round to buying a carpet. Being fitted beginning of July, so just before the new sofa. Did it 12mths interest free, but have worked out that it will be paid off by November.

Anyway best get back to it.
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 16th May 19, 3:32 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 2,919 Thanks
    SSDD23
    That's really good managing to get seats for £20! I'm trying to do more experiences like that without spending a fortune, most recently through collecting codes in newspapers
    "The harder you work for something, the greater you’ll feel when you achieve it"
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 16th May 19, 10:29 PM
    • 15,632 Posts
    • 53,612 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    I started reading your diary this morning, I have been ill so at home but just wanted to say I love your energy! You get so much done and your family have such a good time. I love it!

XXXX
    Sealed Pot 12 - 008, 365, 1p a day, 1%, 100 days, Saving to be out of debt!
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 17th May 19, 7:25 AM
    • 643 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    I am on a theatre lovers group on Fbook who share tips etc. Have won two theatre lotteries and the Lion King tickets were booked direct from the Disney site 5months on advance. They are in the grand circle and classed as restricted view, but they were fine.

Hi Buffy, thanks for stopping by. I certainly don't feel like I have much energy lol!
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 21st May 19, 12:14 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    So I spent Saturday in p@ultons Park with our guide unit. It was fab. Really quiet in the but with the bigger rides which meant that they could get on them with barely any queuing. Me and my sister braved a few, amazing how much harder roller coasters are the older you get! Got wet on the log flume too. Got home absolutely exhausted.

On Sunday I spent the morning relaxing. Decided not to go to church, our vicar and a lot of others are in the holy land on pilgrimage so decided to try and catch up on some sleep instead. Then took the smallest swimming to try and boost his water confidence. He has been really struggling with his lessons so wanted to just muck about with him. He is better than he thinks and we practiced his kicking and arm movements too.

Really busy week this week, ned to get organised as off on holiday in sat. I have no afternoon off as fitting in a new client and I can't get to town on Wednesday after school either due to a parents eve. So the smallest is missing his (stupidly expensive) drama class today so I can get into town to the library and I need some new trousers and jeans. Still in two minds about taking the small two but the girl needs to come and get some shorts so will probably end up going with everyone. Will not be fun.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 22nd May 19, 6:44 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 2,241 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    So braved town, didn't find jeans but spent money on some trousers and t shirts. The girl got her shorts and also got some for the boy and hubby. Everyone was pretty well behaved

Went for a burger as it was so late and I am now in holiday mode diet has not gone well and put on half a pound. Totally expect to put weight on over the next two weeks, but will still try to make better choices. Will assess the damage in two weeks time.

Today was mega stressful, got so far behind and was not happy with my new clients house when I left. Have texted to make them aware, did the best I could and I was squeezing them in this week as a favour, so don't think there will be an issue. Just felt bad.

Two more days until a well earned week off. Been costing up various things to do in Cornwall, and have set up a new category in ynab for holiday funds breaking it all down a bit. Quite an eye opener tbh. Have £1000 saved up and petrol, food and entrance fees for the six of us will probably swallow that up! Shouldn't go over though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,867Posts Today

5,992Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin