Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 3rd Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 102Posts
    • 220Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    Spend less now, work less later...
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    Spend less now, work less later... 3rd Dec 17 at 5:31 PM
    Hello!
    Iím starting this diary with two loans to clear (as well as a mammoth mortgage- but Iíll worry about that later!). Iím not a massive spender but Iím not hugely careful either and I could clear my debts much quicker than I will at the moment if I put my mind to it and stopped deciding that my money would be better spent on another meal out...
    I live with my wonderful husband and would love to start a family next year. However, Iím very aware that when I have children, I will want to be at home as much as possible which at the moment would be very difficult as we rely on my full time wages to help service our pretty big outgoings.
    So the plan is to spend less, pay off our debts, and ultimately get to work less when we have a family.
    Wish me luck!
Page 3
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 16th Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    I hope you had a good time at the food festival! Were the stalls really expensive or was it OK?
    Today has been nice. We went to visit a friend's new house with some friends and helped him to scope out the area (cough, pubs, cough) a bit. We had lunch out which wasn't ideal but it only cost us £20 and DH paid out of his own account so it doesn't effect our debt repayment.
    Our friends were asking us what we were going to do tonight to celebrate DH's new job and I was pleased to be telling them that we were staying in with a bottle of prosecco (that one of them has bought us) and a bag of popcorn! We're not big clubbers but we would normally have at least gone out for dinner and probably ended up having a few drinks out as well so I feel like we've done well.
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 20th Dec 17, 9:48 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    Iíve finished work for Christmas! Hooray! It was also payday yesterday and I managed to finish the month with £1000 intact to put towards debts. Iím really pleased with that and hope to be able to do the same this month (although it will be really tight as Iím waiting for some backdated pay at work and so my wages were £170 down this month) so Iíve prepared DH that we need to be really strict in order to get there.
    Weíre going away for a few days which has the potential to be pretty spendy but Iíve given us a budget of £100 while weíre away (our weekly entertainment budget) and that should be completely doable. Weíve got a few meet ups planned but not with anyone who wouldnít understand if I had to tell them we couldnít afford dinner, drinks etc so I think weíll be fine!
    Iím feeling very festive!
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 24th Dec 17, 9:42 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    We!!!8217;re back home now and managed to stay just within budget! We had a lovely few days and really enjoyed doing the same sort of things that we would do at home (we went for nice walks and sang carols in a pub with friends etc...) rather than feeling like we needed to spend lots of money on doing !!!8216;fun!!!8217; things just because we were away. Lesson learned for the future!
    We do need to keep our budget really tight for the next few weeks though as I find that I spend so much more while off work than I do when I!!!8217;m in work as I have more exposure to things I might want or need (let!!!8217;s be honest, it hardly ever need) to spend money on. I!!!8217;m still really hoping to be left with another £1000 at the end of the month, but I think that!!!8217;s probably wishful thinking. We shall see!
    Happy Christmas!
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 24th Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    Iím panicking slightly. DH and I run a business alongside our normal work (which has its own account and isnít in debt so I keep the finances on it very separate normally) and weíve just agreed to make a big purchase for it which will wipe out almost our entire buffer in the account.
    Weíve spoken to friends in the same field and family who know their stuff and theyíve all said that making the purchase is a good idea so I know weíre doing the right thing but it makes me feel very vulnerable and will do until weíve built our buffer up again...
    I think Iím going to transfer the savings that weíre making towards paying off our personal debts into the business account while weíre waiting to accumulate enough to pay off each debt in full so at least thereís money in the business account incase we need it but Iím worrying that some of our savings will be eaten up and the whole thing will be slower.
    I need to stop panicking and try to get back into the Christmas spirit but Iím so good at worrying that it might be easier said than done!
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 24th Dec 17, 4:40 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    Chrystal
    ..... and take a deep breath.

You know it all makes sense and will work out fine, so put it on the back burner and enjoy Christmas, knowing that your purchase will improve your business ... and make life a bit easier? ((hugs))
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 24th Dec 17, 4:48 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    Thank you! I need reminding that it will work out ok sometimes as I always question big decisions. Deep breath has been taken and I will at least try not to worry until after Christmas!
    Have a wonderful Christmas yourself!
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 26th Dec 17, 10:19 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    I managed to put money worries to the back of my mind yesterday and had a lovely day. I am in fact still feeling a bit better about the whole situation today. Iím pleased that Iíve started saving so that I can put it into the business account otherwise I really would have reason to worry! Every cloud I suppose!

Weíre actually heading to the hospital today to give some staffroom snacks and cards to the different departments that looked after DH last year so when I put this set of worries next to the worry of DH not making it, I think last yearís me would have wanted to give this yearís me a slap for even thinking this situation is important!! So Iím going to continue to look at it that way for now.

I have also decided to give up drinking. I think I drink more when Iím worried or stressed which I donít think is a good habit and it also stops me from sleeping properly which isnít good. I donít drink in excess but I still think it will be better for me to stop completely. Funnily enough, I actually think it is going to be more difficult for me to do this than it will be to pay off these debts. Amongst my friends, I donít feel at all uncomfortable about saying Ďoh Iím skint, I canít afford that at the minuteí as most of us are pretty much in the same situation for one reason or another. However, I have a few friends who I know will find it difficult not to crack open a bottle of wine over dinner or on NYE. DH is going to give it a go too though so at least we can be sober together! Wish me luck!
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 27th Dec 17, 11:29 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    camz2017
    Just caught up I think it's great your husband got a pay-rise, I think his car isn't that big of a deal now, as he can afford to fix that.

RE the big purchase, if logically it will make you money that's good. I do not see why you worry at all, you aren't using debt to buy it, and you know it's a good idea that will help with the business - how is that bad? If businesses didn't invest there would be no business.

Drinking - I personally do not drink a lot, for 3 reasons 1. Family members drink too much and I don't like that and 2. I want to stay in good shape 3. Expense.

I definitely think everything in moderation, to say no drinking is possibly unrealistic. Why don't you start with no drinking at home or when stressed? When out with friends and everyones having a glass of wine, I think go for it - if that'll make you happier. I will go on dates, or to birthdays and drink a whole bunch. There's nothing wrong with that in my view, but there is a challenge where you are drinking to cover emotions / struggling to get decent sleep, so deal with that.

Whatever you do - best of luck!!
    BC 0/15305.83 MBNA: 0/11231.16 TESCO 0/822.87 LOAN 0/4272.67
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 28th Dec 17, 9:03 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    Thanks Camz, I think that!!!8217;s good advice!
    I!!!8217;m going to hold off the drinking at home but not feel guilty if I!!!8217;m out etc... I like the idea of all in moderation! DH starts his new job in April which I think is actually better than starting now as it gives him time to prepare and us both time to get used to our current budget so that we can really feel the benefit of his pay rise.

The big purchase is going ahead!! I feel much better about it today as we had some good business news yesterday which eases things slightly. I!!!8217;m Wondering if it would be useful to add the business to my SOA actually. We really try to keep it seperate normally but if I!!!8217;m still rambling on about it next month then I could pop it in.

Other than that, there!!!8217;s not a lot to report money wise today. I!!!8217;m still keeping my fingers crossed for another £1000 this month and I think that the next few weeks are the ones when no one expects you to spend much money so hopefully we!!!8217;ll be alright! I just need to keep NYE cheap...
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 29th Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    I had a bit of MSE luck today! I took my car to be serviced and have it!!!8217;s oil changed and it didn!!!8217;t cost me a penny even though they had quoted me a price on the phone! I even checked so that I didn!!!8217;t get an unwanted bill later and they said it was all covered by my warranty! And to top it off, I even got a lift into town while I waited instead of having to get the bus! Hooray!
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 1st Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    Happy New Year! I!!!8217;ve had a busy few days doing the last Christmas meet ups and spent NYE with a group of friends being very MSE and only spending money on petrol to get there and back! It was really nice to be in bed by 2! This group of friends are the people I have been friends with since I was little and are good at telling me as it is so it was good to have a laugh about my situation with them as we!!!8217;re all in similar places and it makes it feel far less enormous when I feel like we!!!8217;re all in it together.

DH has been visiting his friends as well and he came back with completely different tales! His friends are all great guys and I really enjoy their company but they live a different lifestyle to us. They were talking about spending too and one of them said that he spends between £500 and £700 a month on going out and alcohol! Every month!! He earns better than I do but it does make me worry for him that he!!!8217;s going to end up feeling like he!!!8217;s wasted thousands of pounds! Each to their own I suppose, I!!!8217;m just glad DH isn!!!8217;t emersed in that lifestyle too often!

We!!!8217;re heading to our friends!!!8217; house later today to celebrate the new year as none of us spent it together and it!!!8217;s always nice to catch up. As a group, we try to have a challenge for the year that we do together so it will be fun to start thinking of that! I need to start thinking of my own MSE goals too...
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 2nd Jan 18, 9:10 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    Iíve worked out that if we really stick to throwing all we can at our debts, we have a chance of clearing them this year! This would be amazing but would mean that things would have to be really tight to get there. I donít think it would bother me but DH is going to struggle. Heís the first to admit that he isnít really bothered about our debts as we can service them fairly easily at the moment and heís only in on this goal because itís what I want. He is doing really well most of the time but gets very frustrated because he feels like Iím always telling him that he canít buy anything. Of course this is frustrating for me as well as Iím trying to make our lives easier in the long run and struggle to sympathise with his mindset... it can be tough at times to come to agreements that weíre both happy with! We will get there though and I know he will be as happy as me when we donít have to worry about them anymore!

There are a few things that we need to be prepared to spend on this year which will impact our repayments so Iím trying to be prepared for them. I might even put them in a calendar so that I know when theyíre coming. The biggest hindrance will be that DH has to give back his work laptop and iPad when he starts his new job in April. We can live without an iPad but we will need to replace the laptop We also have a few weekends away with friends and family planned. I am determined to get rid of this debt before we have babies though and so I really need to make sure that weíre staying on track!
    • camz2017
    • By camz2017 2nd Jan 18, 6:36 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    camz2017
    Catching up...

I would advise not using a work laptop for personal stuff anyway, I go out to organisations all the time and assess their backups and data recovery. Plenty of firms have mirror copies of work machines, in the event of any legal case they can use it. I have seen cases where they have suspected an employee of leaking data and because their personal emails are logged in, forensics will go and download all the emails, and process them offline for analysis. You don't really want to be mixing your personal life into a corporate environment too much - just my two cents. Everything you do on a corp machine is fair game for the employer to use.

It might be cheaper to get a new iPad, rather than a laptop, although if you have a smartphone e.g. iPhone or whatever, 99% of things can be done on mobile now. I'm considering selling my laptop and just using my mobile.

RE his friend spending £500 - £750 going out, everyone has entirely different priorities. What one person prioritises you may not, e.g. I prioritise what I eat and budget for that by foregoing other things, but others will just eat pasta and noodles and may prioritise drinking alcohol or buying fancy clothes.

I'm glad your car has free servicing, that's good news!

I'm all about being realistic, so I think target a realistic date for being debt free, because things will crop up. Your husbands attitude to debt frustrates me no end!! I feel for you!!

All the best
    BC 0/15305.83 MBNA: 0/11231.16 TESCO 0/822.87 LOAN 0/4272.67
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 2nd Jan 18, 8:18 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    Thanks Camz- we need to have a think about replacing the laptop. I had a look the other day and I didn!!!8217;t realise they were as expensive as they are!! I do think we need one rather than an iPad though so DH is going to try and find a good deal before April.

I think DH is doing pretty well considering it!!!8217;s not him driving the debt busting! I just told him that if my backdated pay comes through this month then we could have saved £4000 towards our debts by the end of the month which he really pleased with! He just doesn!!!8217;t worry about it like I do.

In other news, I!!!8217;m back to work tomorrow. I do actually enjoy my job so I don!!!8217;t mind too much but I!!!8217;m not looking forward to my alarm!!
    • elsien
    • By elsien 2nd Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 16,542 Posts
    • 41,763 Thanks
    elsien
    You could try posting on the techie bit of the forum for a laptop. I got pointed at an Argos refurb from ebay which has been going strong a good few years now. Have a think about what specs you want, and what you need it to do, and someone might be able to find you at a good deal.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 3rd Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    That!!!8217;s a great idea elsien! I!!!8217;ll let DH choose one or two so that he gets a sense of choice but then I!!!8217;ll post his ideas on there to see what people say. Thanks for the idea- I didn!!!8217;t realise that that board existed!
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 6th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    I've had a breakthrough with DH today! After another conversation about his car, he has agreed to pay off the existing finance on his car AND save up for a new one before swapping it!! This may seem like a no brainer to most people, but for DH it's massive! I'm really pleased, however, adding his car debt to our total brings the amount of debt we have to an eye watering £37,500!!! I am feeling really determined to get rid of it all and although DH isn't worried about it for his sake, he's gutted that he's made me feel so rubbish about the amount of debt we have so I do think that he will stick to the process the best that he can.
    I know that his debt may seem like a lot for me to take on at the minute but what's important to remember is that he is completely prepared to support me financially when I either don't work or work part time when we have kids. This will be a huge repayment of what I'm doing for him now so I don't feel bitter at all. I really do hope we are able to have babies soon as I'm so desperate to be a mummy!

In other news, we got new batteries for our scales today and I am about 5 pounds more than I should be! I'm determined to make the most of still having pre-baby abs while I can so I really really need to be proactive about losing this. The trickiest bit for me is that I only really enjoy outdoor sports (mainly cycling and kayaking) which come with the added bonus of being out and about in the countryside while keeping me fit. January doesn't lend itself well to lovely countryside views so I need to think of another activity (other than walking my dogs) ASAP.
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 9th Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    I got confirmation today that my backdated pay will arrive in this monthís pay! Hooray! It should work out as just under £1000 so Iím aiming to put £2000 away next Friday! I canít wait!!
    The HR lady emailed me to tell me not to spend my rebate all at once and I felt like emailing her back with with details of my much less exciting plans for it but luckily for her, I resisted.

Iíve also decided to count my emergency fund as money that can go towards my debt. I know this may seem like a silly idea but while DH has 0% credit card, I think that it makes more sense to pay off debt which is charging me interest. I do always keep a £500 buffer in our joint account which I donít count as real money so I wonít be leaving us without anything. This in mind, I should have £5000 put aside by next Friday which will go towards paying off my car! Itís making me really determined to keep going even though the list of things I want to spend my money on does seem to be growing...

This monthís budget is obviously pretty tight at this point but I just need to get through this weekend without over spending and Iíll be ok. Weíve got friends over to eat on Saturday night and Iíve got a baby shower on Sunday which needs a decent present but I should be fine if Iím careful.

My work mountain is already massive again so even though I enjoy my job, it is reminding me why Iím doing this!
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 9th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    Chrystal
    You're doing brilliantly ETA, and getting rid of interest paying cards ASAP makes a lot of sense... assuming that you're paying more interest than you're getting with your savings (I remember when savings used to pay REAL interest!)
    GC. Oct.17 = £261.18/ £300 = + £38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = £354.89/£300 = - £54.39

• csarina2
    • By csarina2 9th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 2,072 Posts
    • 20,553 Thanks
    csarina2
    We were in a similar situation a few years ago. Having to move twice in 6 months did not help. I was offered a 0% cc moved a load onto it and then threw every penny I could to pay it off, at the same time I was overpaying on debt I could not move. It was difficult, but we did it and paid everything off last year. Watching the bank balance grow now is great!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,855Posts Today

6,952Users online

Martin's Twitter