Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 3rd Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 465Posts
    • 2,033Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Hugglemonster's homemade happiness diary
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    Hugglemonster's homemade happiness diary 3rd Dec 17 at 2:27 PM
    A new diary for a renewed enthusiasm for clearing the debt, reducing the mortgage and getting my home finished instead of the shambles it's in.

I have a few bits of debt left after a nice lump sum from my in-laws cleared the main overdraft these are:
    * Hally overdraft currently 1012.19 - need to pay this off first due to the daily fees plus I still seem to pay 30 monthly fee! Need to check that out.
    * MBNA credit card currently 2083.42
    * Car finance last balance on statement in August this year was 9400.36 so 3 other payments since then will have left a balance of 8825.44.
    * Hubby's computer stuff 293.10 - I could save the full balance and pay off.

I'm aiming to pay off the overdraft, the credit card and hubby's computer stuff at least in 2018, plus I also want to get my ds bedroom finished and my bedroom decorated too.

On Tuesday I will get CB payment so this will be the last money that is need for dh to go on his trip next week, I also need to use any money between now and Xmas for presents so main focus on debt busting won't be until after the festive season. I will have a budget for each person I need to buy for plus I will be making some items to reduce costs.

Some good changes for the new year:
    * My repayments to HMRC for overpaid child tax credit ends in January, so an extra 10 a month back in the budget.
    * DS after school club sent home a letter to say their charges are going up from 9 a day to 10.50, after chatting to dh and dd we will pick him up from school between ourselves therefore saving 144 a month based on current fees. I will do a letter for him to take tomorrow to say we are stopping his place and then there will only be 3 weeks left to pay. This will be lots back in the budget!
    * I'm still waiting to hear if I've got an extra day fund through work, this will be lovely!

So my mission is to ensure that I use ynab properly and stick to budgets plus reduce food expenditure, continue doing surveys and use vouchers/money earned for birthdays and treats, reduce/re-use/recycle, and seek out the best offers/money back/discounts on all purchases.

H x
    Debt:Overdraft 2 2400 Credit card 2200 now 1700 Car - Purchased 11,518.40 now 6909.04 Barclays loan 3000 now 2756.42 Dad 300
    PAID - Computer 646.52, Overdraft 1 2200
    Emergency fund: 10 General savings: 10
Page 5
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 12th Sep 18, 3:15 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Hi, I am literally scraping around trying to find bits of money to cover what we need before I get paid again in 2 weeks time. I still have my expenses to come in but equally I will need lots of fuel for the car next week as well as food and bills to pay. I really hate ourselves for being so useless with money!

I've decided to start looking for a remortgage early, I submitted our details but because we're only looking to remortgage the estate agents are funny about doing valuations - one said no, one wanted to charge us 150 but the other is doing a desk top valuation with me on Friday plus they have an inhouse mortgage department so even if we don't go with them at least we've got something to work with.

No surveys sites ready to pay out yet, I've got enough T8sco points to convert to a 9 voucher, there's 6.07 on my B**ts card if I need toiletries but would shop around for cheaper products as can be expensive. I can't check N*ctar online as it's locked my account but will pop in when I'm passing next, I also just need a few more surveys to be able to claim a gift card from here.

So apart from that it looks like either using the credit card, using some xmas money or hibernating for 2 weeks!

Sorry I know it's our fault but having a down day, H x
    Debt:Overdraft 2 2400 Credit card 2200 now 1700 Car - Purchased 11,518.40 now 6909.04 Barclays loan 3000 now 2756.42 Dad 300
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 13th Sep 18, 9:02 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Try to take the positive that your mindset has changed - you're not willing to throw any payments on credit card unless its a last resort and you're finding better ways to find more money and make it work for you! SO WELL DONE!

It's obviously a tight month this month, so maybe reassess your budgets and see what you can tweak for next month. You're going in the right direction, just keep going!
    Little One's due date 18/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - 144k motrgage
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 13th Sep 18, 11:17 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Thanks NelliePie, I'm definitely trying to avoid using the card as I want to get rid of that not add to it. The thing is it shouldn't be tight, we spend far too much money on food and I suddenly get an email to say dh is bidding on yet another book on ebay! That's what needs to stop, I know I can talk to him about it but it's hard when he says we never have any money, what's the point of going to work, I only get a few things etc. But that's what I keep trying to say - well if we didn't spend so much on food then we could... pay off debt...finish ds bedroom...have carpet on the stairs!

Trying to be positive today:
    * Washing out on the line
    * Should be getting some money back tonight for a t-shirt I've paid for at club
    * Income for business is slowly trickling in, not enough to pay myself back yet but getting there
    * Only need a cheap tin of potatoes for tea to go with mince taken out of freezer
    * I have a wonderful family and after my best friend's Mum passed away at the weekend I realise how lucky I am.
    * Getting all the info ready for mortgage meeting tomorrow, even if we can't change as yet at least we can get some info.

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 14th Sep 18, 10:39 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    OOh don't you just hate jobsworths! Went into ds school this morning as I was presenting to the assembly about one of the events I run, anyway we had messages yesterday from school to remind us not to park in the main car park as this was for teachers and visitors. That's fine but as I was a visitor and also bring several large boxes of kit for them I went to the main car park only to find it locked. I phoned reception who told me it wouldn't be unlocked until 0910 and even though I explained about the boxes and needing to be there they refused. So drove around to the other car park and one by one carried the boxes from the car through the playground to reception. By which time I was fuming and had to sign in, overheard the head and caretaker talking about it so I told them it was ridiculous - I fully understood the reasons why but as a visitor with boxes they could have let me in! The caretaker stood there and sneeringly said I'll be opening the gate in a minute, yeah thanks but I would be late, and he shrugged ooh that got me mad so I got really annoyed and said 'do you think shrugging is OK!' Anyway the head rather falsely apologised for today even saying I should have got there early! The kids go in to school at 0850, why do the gates need locking until 0910?

Right rant over ha, ha!

Today I received a refund from an event that was overpaid so 25 back in the bank, plasterer had to go to another job and I'm not home until next Friday during the day so I'm going to use some of the money for that for food and fuel this week.

I've resent some business invoices that haven't been paid, plus I've had another enquiry from an old work colleague so hopefully another booking.

Mortgage meeting this afternoon, fingers crossed for some good news.

Had 'the chat' with dh last night, he stated that we're never going to have any money, never be able to pay off the mortgage and our pensions are going to be shocking. I explained well we will never have any spare money if we spend 900 a month on groceries and spending! He is very much the pessimist whilst I am an optimist so the best way for me to show him is to just keep plodding on, but I know I need to be tougher and also to make him actually physically look at the budget and what needs paying for each month as he is very much part of this as I am.

Right surveys time, H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 15th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Good afternoon, hope everyone is having a good weekend. Up early this morning for our volunteering duties then home for a little lunch and dh is making fabulous meatballs for tea tonight - yum!

Some positive initial information from mortgage adviser yesterday, showed us some rates, terms and offers that would be suitable for us and they were coming out with interest rates that were half the amount we have now and lower monthly payments. The best was knocking 3 years off the term, reducing the interest rate massively and still paying 100 less than we are a month! The only drawback with this is the company want 399 fees. So I have contacted our bank this afternoon which was one of the good rates on the list from yesterday, and definitely need to change as letter through the post today that our current interest rate is going up to 5.03%

Discussion with bank was great, interest rate significantly lower fixed for 2 years, reducing term by 2 years and also over 100 saving a month. Plus no fees and 300 cashback. We have an appointment on Friday to go through the nitty gritty so fingers crossed

DH has agreed to do a sit down budget overhaul tomorrow, I do hope this is the beginning of getting sorted.

H x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Sep 18, 6:45 PM
    • 57,981 Posts
    • 238,537 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope meeting at the bank goes well
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 18th Sep 18, 5:43 AM
    • 1,765 Posts
    • 18,164 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    My DH can get a bit like that with chats about money too - he is the main breadwinner and he sometimes gets a bit down when I point at that no we can't afford another 20 here, there and everywhere. Two things that have improved his relationship with reality slightly are agreeing to input his own transactions in the budget app we use (YNAB in our case) so he can see the pots depleting, and has to make it balance if he overspends, and sitting down for five minutes once a week and just whizzing through the budget to see if there are any glaring problems. It's not perfect, but it's a massive improvement on where we were.
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: 38,608 unsecured debt/20,000 parental loan/173,282 mortgage = 231,890
    debt on 1st Sept 2018: 12,221.27 unsecured debt/19,940 parental loan/191,003.72 mortgage = 223,165
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 19th Sep 18, 4:07 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Thanks for your comments beanie and ToPM, I think definitely sitting down at least once a week to go over what is planned/needed etc will keep us on track.

I've been using the cash for plasterer this week, I will give him a cheque when he comes on Friday as I get paid on Tuesday. Not ideal but hey ho we live and hopefully learn. Spoke to mortgage adviser from bank today as a pre-check to Friday's appointment, not likely to reduce our mortgage term but hopefully still will work out to better monthly repayments and interest rate. He needs to speak to DH before then to check it's OK to speak on his behalf, I hope he doesn't reveal that I have a credit card!!!!

Everything just holding together before payday, still no sign of expenses, need to collect a refund whilst at a meeting tonight, first session of new business starts on Tuesday and I have a few spaces left.

Am feeling on edge with everything and busy days at work, luckily an event tomorrow has been cancelled so I can work from home!

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 20th Sep 18, 11:25 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Well it's 5 days until payday, we still need food, I need to pay for school dinners for the week on Sunday, I need fuel on Saturday but not much, and dd is due to go back climbing sessions tonight.

Hmm where to start food we just need to do a very cheap menu, school dinners - dd has enough in her pot probably to last until Tuesday and ds if I need to I can just pay for the one day for Monday and then top up on Tuesday. Fuel I think I can get away with 10 as not going very far over the next few days. Climbing will just have to wait until next week!

Tried to pay in a cheque this morning but banks computers are down and online banking is not working fully so will try again later.

Trying to will myself to get the house tidy today, coffee first then will start.

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 21st Sep 18, 7:40 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Well today has been epic, most off it good though but I am shattered from everything!

Have been on the phone to mortgage adviser for most of the day and we have got a provisional offer for a 17 year mortgage (so 3 years less), 100 less per monthly payment and an interest decrease of 2.89%. Just need to read through paperwork, get valuation done and probably a few more bits. That was fine, it took a while but it was fine.

The problem was when adviser asked hubby to just update his phone number on the current account so he could send the e-sign code, well oh my goodness you'd think that we asked for the world. Main bank adviser (not mortgage chap) said he couldn't do it on the phone but needed to register for online banking or go into a branch what the actual f***!

Honestly it was ridiculous, even spoke to an supervisor, after 3 phone calls baring in mind hubby went through many security questions to prove it was him, he hung up really fed up. I emailed mortgage chap and he is going to send the documents in the post! bloody crazy, I sent a private message to bank's twitter uk base and guess what they sorted it out no problem.

By that time head was spinning!

Still on the bright side the worst is done, we passed the credit check and also ds room has been plastered today and paid for with a cheque. Still no sign of expenses though

Had to pick up ds from school during that as apparently he wasn't feeling well but he's fine. No volunteering in the morning so might actually get a lie in and both dd and dh are out tomorrow which leaves ds and I to chill out.

Hoping the rest of the mortgage goes OK, H x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Sep 18, 7:44 PM
    • 57,981 Posts
    • 238,537 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all goes well with it

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 22nd Sep 18, 2:47 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Hoorah, expenses went in the bank today but still need to be careful as payments to go out on Monday. I need to update ynab and do a menu for two days. Doing a 10 mile run after volunteering tomorrow so don't fancy going shopping after that!

I've cleaned up ds floor but still need to clean all the woodwork whilst the plaster dries, we popped into BandQ yesterday to get some colour charts and he has decided what he wants. Going to leave it a couple of weeks though as wood needs varnishing and ceiling needs painting (we have white paint), carpet won't be until October pay as we need to pay the balance of ds trip to France next week of 200.

Then it will be Xmas!

H x
    • SeasideGirl
    • By SeasideGirl 22nd Sep 18, 3:58 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    SeasideGirl
    Hi HuggleMonster
    I love your username, it reminds me of that hug in a mug advert (?soup) where there is a huggly type of monster who snuggled people inside his big furry arms!
    Sounds like you are really focused, and fingers crossed your new business is successful too. I shall subscribe to keep up with your progress if that's ok
    Sept 2018
    Virgin CC1..................... 3334...........33.34.....19.17 Virgin CC2..................... 5775...........57.75..... 0
    DFS Sofa....................... 251.84........41.98.....0 Wickes Kitchen..............3305.42...80.62....0
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 25th Sep 18, 9:06 AM
    • 465 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Welcome SeasideGirl, I'm also beside the seaside - love living here!

Today is a good day so far, it's pay day so I can work out my budget for a few days, my first session of new business starts tonight (could do with a few more bookings but hopefully word will spread), last night I was awarded a grant for the business which will pay for my equipment, hall hire for 10 weeks and a few other things. There's enough income in the business account to pay for the last installment of insurance and then I can start to pay myself back then pay myself!

DH is slowly starting to change some things e.g. he is checking prices of food items when we go shopping, he has made me a new washing line as ours bent over in the high winds last week and is not usable.

Mortgage paperwork was posted yesterday so I hope to get it today or tomorrow, I need to get hold of it before DH to check whether there's any mention of the credit card on the documents

I need to do a menu this morning and go shopping so everything is done for the next few days, I do need fuel in the car and to pay credit card. Plus catch up on some surveys and tidy the house.

Best get on with the day! H x
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 25th Sep 18, 11:27 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    NelliePie
    Congrats on the grant!

Sounds like you're going to be busy but you've got everything under control.
    Little One's due date 18/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - 144k motrgage
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Sep 18, 4:36 PM
    • 57,981 Posts
    • 238,537 Thanks
    beanielou
    I doubt there will be any note of the credit card on the paperwork.

***Keep plodding***
    • SeasideGirl
    • By SeasideGirl 25th Sep 18, 6:49 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    SeasideGirl
    Payday for me on Friday but trying not to start my budget until Monday 1st Great news on the grant and that DH is now getting on board with it too. Fingers crossed for more bookings!
    Living by the sea just soothes my soul, I lived inland (only about 20 miles from the coast probably) for a while but it was horrible! I didn't know where to go and walk either...
    Sept 2018
    Virgin CC1..................... 3334...........33.34.....19.17 Virgin CC2..................... 5775...........57.75..... 0
    DFS Sofa....................... 251.84........41.98.....0 Wickes Kitchen..............3305.42...80.62....0
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 20th Oct 18, 4:35 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Good afternoon, another manic time in work, coaching and everything we are involved in that I don't seem to have any time to myself. Looking forward to a few days off in half term to visit my friend as she's just lost her Mum and I couldn't get to the funeral. After that I will be looking forward to a proper 2 week break over Xmas!

So how are things - well not amazing and I've just been re-reading my first post to see what's been achieved this year and we've done bits but not as much as I'd hoped so now's the time to get ourselves sorted once and for all, as much as I love this site I'm sick of being here

Plans up until Xmas:
    * Finish decorating ds bedroom - need to paint, do next coat of varnish, need curtain rail, curtains and lampshade, and finally carpet. Not much really.
    * Pay final installment of ds school trip - 200 to pay by 1st November.
    * Dd is now going to Barcelona with school next year - deposit paid but need to find out when next installment is, outstanding balance is 500.
    * Hopefully get remortgage sorted, valuer coming on Monday and then wait and see what's next to do.
    * Apart from visiting friend in half term and dd birthday in November, no major trips or expenses before Xmas (touch wood).

We owe some bits and pieces of money so must may sure that they are paid asap:
    * Tin 100
    * Savings - 200
    * Dad - 300
    * Work - 35
    * Run Club - 80
    I'm owed lots of expenses from this month due to long trips so that will go towards it.

Plans for 2019:
    Pay off credit card
    Pay off overdraft
    Total redecoration of bedroom, buy a bed!

I'll start with 3 things for 2019, hopefully will achieve more.

H x
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 21st Oct 18, 12:58 PM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 17,070 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Hi Huggle, your sounding busy as always, glad your all ok.

I think I need to start making a list of things to be done in the next couple of months as Christmas will be here in no time.

PWPSxx
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 23rd Oct 18, 2:46 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Ooh it's getting chilly, yesterday I was cold all day and also felt rotten too but feeling better today.

Valuer came at 0900 on the dot yesterday, didn't take long to do her checks, she said that they compare to other properties in the area and then will let the bank know the valuation. I hope it's good news and doesn't take long. I watched the Pan88ama programme about being trapped in our mortgage but to be honest I didn't think it was a critical piece from both sides of the story.

This morning I did the first coat of paint on the ceiling in ds bedroom and will do the next coat tomorrow, we have loads of paint for this and also have gloss for the window sill. I think I'll get the paint for the walls on Friday and then can do the first coat then and hopefully a second coat on Saturday afternoon.

So current work towards goals:
    Plans up until Xmas:
    * Finish decorating ds bedroom - need to paint, do next coat of varnish, need curtain rail, curtains and lampshade, and finally carpet. Not much really. - One coat of paint on ceiling
    * Pay final installment of ds school trip - 200 to pay by 1st November.
    * Dd is now going to Barcelona with school next year - deposit paid but need to find out when next installment is, outstanding balance is 500.
    * Hopefully get remortgage sorted, valuer coming on Monday and then wait and see what's next to do. Valuer been, now to wait for result, email received from legal team to say mortgage deeds had been obtained
    * Apart from visiting friend in half term and dd birthday in November, no major trips or expenses before Xmas (touch wood).

We owe some bits and pieces of money so must may sure that they are paid asap:
    * Tin 100 paid
    * Savings - 200
    * Dad - 300
    * Work - 35
    * Run Club - 80

No pennies in the bank until Thursday so using up bits and pieces of food in the cupboards and have a little few pounds in my purse.

Have my group tonight (own business) and then some money to pay into business account tomorrow, hopefully can pay myself back a little bit after that. I need to sort out the bill for sports hall hire as they've charged the wrong amount.

H x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

57Posts Today

2,714Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin