Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 3rd Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 396Posts
    • 1,761Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Hugglemonster's homemade happiness diary
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    Hugglemonster's homemade happiness diary 3rd Dec 17 at 2:27 PM
    A new diary for a renewed enthusiasm for clearing the debt, reducing the mortgage and getting my home finished instead of the shambles it's in.

I have a few bits of debt left after a nice lump sum from my in-laws cleared the main overdraft these are:
    * Hally overdraft currently 1012.19 - need to pay this off first due to the daily fees plus I still seem to pay 30 monthly fee! Need to check that out.
    * MBNA credit card currently 2083.42
    * Car finance last balance on statement in August this year was 9400.36 so 3 other payments since then will have left a balance of 8825.44.
    * Hubby's computer stuff 293.10 - I could save the full balance and pay off.

I'm aiming to pay off the overdraft, the credit card and hubby's computer stuff at least in 2018, plus I also want to get my ds bedroom finished and my bedroom decorated too.

On Tuesday I will get CB payment so this will be the last money that is need for dh to go on his trip next week, I also need to use any money between now and Xmas for presents so main focus on debt busting won't be until after the festive season. I will have a budget for each person I need to buy for plus I will be making some items to reduce costs.

Some good changes for the new year:
    * My repayments to HMRC for overpaid child tax credit ends in January, so an extra 10 a month back in the budget.
    * DS after school club sent home a letter to say their charges are going up from 9 a day to 10.50, after chatting to dh and dd we will pick him up from school between ourselves therefore saving 144 a month based on current fees. I will do a letter for him to take tomorrow to say we are stopping his place and then there will only be 3 weeks left to pay. This will be lots back in the budget!
    * I'm still waiting to hear if I've got an extra day fund through work, this will be lovely!

So my mission is to ensure that I use ynab properly and stick to budgets plus reduce food expenditure, continue doing surveys and use vouchers/money earned for birthdays and treats, reduce/re-use/recycle, and seek out the best offers/money back/discounts on all purchases.

H x
    Debt:Overdraft 2 1900 Credit card 2200 now 1395 Car - Purchased 11,518.40 now 7100.68 Barclays loan 3000 now 2981.24
    PAID - Computer 646.52, Overdraft 1 2200
    Emergency fund: 0 General savings: 0
Page 4
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 7th Aug 18, 6:00 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 3,344 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Sorry to hear about your car but I have just gone through the same thing with mine. It kept going wrong and I kept paying out but last week I had had enough. I wanted it to last about another year and then I would have had enough saved up to buy a newer car. Alas it was not to be.

So I bit the bullet and bought a newer car on finance. The loan can be overpaid so as soon as my old credit card is finally paid off next month, I will start overpaying. I also worked out that I can afford the monthly payments and although it is a five year loan, there is no way I am going to let it run its course.

I bought newer because I really do need a reliable car to get to work and get the kids to various clubs. I can do it on public transport but it is a pain and takes forever. I also need a car to take the kids to their dads every three weeks as we meet half way on the m25.
    Total debt Dec 2017 23090.83
    Jul 2018 2279.78 90.13% paid
    Emergency fund 218.57/600
    Total Savings 2006.60
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 7th Aug 18, 8:52 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Hi MOFK, the car is a 61 plate so it's 7 years old which we have on finance as I needed a reliable car too, I don't know whether it's just bad luck but it is certainly annoying! Hubby was OK by the time he got home. We have 3 years left on the finance but like you want to pay it off quicker when possible. BTW I've read your thread and think you're amazing but never commented so now I will x

I've updated banking and done a few surveys and still a few to do, I've had to cancel some work tomorrow as I can't get there (an hours drive when lots of kit) but I have a meeting in the evening so hopefully I'll have the car back by then.

Just sold an item on fb to be collected Thursday, 4 to go to credit card all being well.

Had a really cheap tea of 3 bean goulash and homemade chapatis, two portions left have gone in the freezer. We still have lots of food as we just haven't eaten as much as on the plan, just need some fresh fruit and bread.

H x
    Debt:Overdraft 2 1900 Credit card 2200 now 1395 Car - Purchased 11,518.40 now 7100.68 Barclays loan 3000 now 2981.24
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 9th Aug 18, 2:58 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Good afternoon, car is home and fingers crossed nothing will go wrong in the next few months. There are a few advisories from the MOT, all four tyres will need replacing within the next year and the rear brake pads and discs will need changing so i need to set aside money for that.

A little spendy day yesterday as I brought my nieces birthday presents and posted today, plus we need some bits and pieces from Home Bargains. The item hasn't been collected today and I can't be bothered chasing individuals any more so we bump up the selling page again.

Current progress on credit card 16th July - 15th August 141.51/267 but will get a boost when child benefit comes in on Tuesday. I'm 60 tokens away from a 5 payout from receipts app.

I've started pushing the new business and have some leaflets to drop off at the leisure centre when it opens later, I've also had an enquiry from a lady in the other town that I want to launch in so that's positive.

Lots to do for my 2 events, we went down the prom this morning to take photos which will show where the marshals will be positioned and the turn around point, we need to do the same tomorrow at the other venue.

The sun is shining and despite the car problems everything is fine!, H x
    Last edited by hugglemonster; 09-08-2018 at 3:09 PM.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 9th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    • 6,292 Posts
    • 23,205 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Boo to the car problems.

Fingers crossed and good luck with the venture in the other town x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 6060.00 Cap 1: 170.00 BC: TBC

POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD 6919.86/7000
    Savings for Christmas 273.72/400
    20p Savers 2018 2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 10th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Well hello everyone, some more progress made today and some decisions too.

Currently paying off credit card, my expenses have gone in early so I paid off 85.25 which took me to 1400 but then my 5 reward has come in so I've sent that over and now stands at 1395. So progress towards monthly target is 231.76/267, I'm going to leave child benefit in the account on Tuesday as I need to pay for ds birthday presents and meal next week. Only 35.24 to find by next Friday which is doable.

The decision made is that we are not going to go abroad in February, with everything that needs to be paid for between then and now plus wanting to progress further with the house we decided that it was just too much for a few days away. Therefore we are going to get ds room finished, have a lovely Xmas and go to Scotland for a couple of days in February instead.

Feel better about that decision so will cancel hotel, we haven't paid anything so will just be a straight cancel.

We're still aiming to remortgage in the new year, so everything we can do to aide that the better.

Looking forward to a relaxing weekend and last week at work before 2 weeks off but my weekends will now be spent at my new events so whilst it's fab for the community I won't get a lie in!!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend, H x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,659Posts Today

9,032Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin