Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 3rd Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    • 381Posts
    • 1,706Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Hugglemonster's homemade happiness diary
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:27 PM
    Hugglemonster's homemade happiness diary 3rd Dec 17 at 2:27 PM
    A new diary for a renewed enthusiasm for clearing the debt, reducing the mortgage and getting my home finished instead of the shambles it's in.

I have a few bits of debt left after a nice lump sum from my in-laws cleared the main overdraft these are:
    * Hally overdraft currently 1012.19 - need to pay this off first due to the daily fees plus I still seem to pay 30 monthly fee! Need to check that out.
    * MBNA credit card currently 2083.42
    * Car finance last balance on statement in August this year was 9400.36 so 3 other payments since then will have left a balance of 8825.44.
    * Hubby's computer stuff 293.10 - I could save the full balance and pay off.

I'm aiming to pay off the overdraft, the credit card and hubby's computer stuff at least in 2018, plus I also want to get my ds bedroom finished and my bedroom decorated too.

On Tuesday I will get CB payment so this will be the last money that is need for dh to go on his trip next week, I also need to use any money between now and Xmas for presents so main focus on debt busting won't be until after the festive season. I will have a budget for each person I need to buy for plus I will be making some items to reduce costs.

Some good changes for the new year:
    * My repayments to HMRC for overpaid child tax credit ends in January, so an extra 10 a month back in the budget.
    * DS after school club sent home a letter to say their charges are going up from 9 a day to 10.50, after chatting to dh and dd we will pick him up from school between ourselves therefore saving 144 a month based on current fees. I will do a letter for him to take tomorrow to say we are stopping his place and then there will only be 3 weeks left to pay. This will be lots back in the budget!
    * I'm still waiting to hear if I've got an extra day fund through work, this will be lovely!

So my mission is to ensure that I use ynab properly and stick to budgets plus reduce food expenditure, continue doing surveys and use vouchers/money earned for birthdays and treats, reduce/re-use/recycle, and seek out the best offers/money back/discounts on all purchases.

H x
    Debt:Overdraft 2 1900 Credit card 2200 now 1600 Car - Purchased 11,518.40 now 6899.04 Barclays loan 3000 now 2981.24
    PAID - Computer 646.52, Overdraft 1 2200
    Emergency fund: 0 General savings: 100
Page 2
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 31st Dec 17, 4:42 PM
    • 4,803 Posts
    • 16,382 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Well done on your spends today, sounds as though you got lots of bargains with your vouchers.

Lovely of you to buy the homeless lad something to eat and drink, I made a donation to Shelter last week, it really doesn't sit right with me that we are one of the wealthiest countries in the world and we have people living on the streets and going hungry, everyone deserves a hot meal and a roof over there head.

I hope you have a lovely evening and wish you a very happy 2018.xx
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    Long term savings 10,000 Holiday spends 1000/349.02 Kitchen savings stage 1 1500/160.24
    Amazon vouchers
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 1st Jan 18, 10:32 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Happy new year, had a lovely quiet evening and went to bed quite early as did dh. We got up this morning and had a nice run together before the weather turned bad again.

The end of freezer meals today, we have stuck to eating everything that was in there, I was a bit sick of brussels though funny I watched a Xmas episode of The Vicar of Dibley last night where she has a sprouts eating contest!

Freezer has duly been defrosted and cleaned, menu written until Thursday evening as we will order a veg box which will arrive Thursday evening and then we can plan from then.

No surveys or financial things today, nice day pottering at home.

H x
    Debt:Overdraft 2 1900 Credit card 2200 now 1600 Car - Purchased 11,518.40 now 6899.04 Barclays loan 3000 now 2981.24
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 2nd Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    The good work continues, dh and I went food shopping and he was very good with the things we got no branded items and used the 50 voucher from in-laws. I have therefore sent the 50 over to the overdraft to take another little bit off, redeemed a few pounds from a survey site so will pay this off when it arrives.

DH has decided to go back to work tomorrow and save a few days holiday for later in the year also we have decided that any surveys where I can get vouchers will be saved to buy the kids new bikes for their birthdays, they currently have BMXs so need better mountain bikes. Birthdays are August and November so plenty of time to save.

Lovely lunch of homemade roast tomato soup and fresh loaf of Foccacia, chicken and veg for tea this evening yum!

Ynab updated, also brought ds a new coat as his was too smal and he has always had hand me downs, got a lovely warm coat for him.

Just off for a run before it gets too dark, H x
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 2nd Jan 18, 3:13 PM
    • 4,803 Posts
    • 16,382 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    All sounding good huggle, good idea about the vouchers and as you said loads of time to save them up for new bikes.

PWPS xx
    Long term savings 10,000 Holiday spends 1000/349.02 Kitchen savings stage 1 1500/160.24
    Amazon vouchers
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 3rd Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Afternoon all, dh hasn't gone back to work after all as someone didn't shut the plant down properly and when they turned it on yesterday it blew the main fuses. So bonus that he's off but not using leave. We went for a run together down the beach, couldn't get on to the prom as the tide was so high that it covered it and splashing beyond.

I've sent my report and expenses over and remind my boss that I haven't had my expenses from November, it's 250 which needs to come of the overdraft!

Pottering around the house today, a bit of cleaning, lots of lovely food prep and although I'm still on leave I am answering emails and have a meeting on Friday evening as we have a big competition in the region next weekend.

Need to update ynab in a minute and also keep an eye on 2 payments in the bank as they as showing as paid and also still in pending. Ordered dh birthday present yesterday, just need to get cards for him and his Dad and an anniversary card for dh. 2.50 just received from survey site so off to pay that to the overdraft.

Trying to psyche myself up to do a tip run, ours doesn't open until 10am in the next town so a pain in the backside.

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 2nd Jun 18, 12:26 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Shameful walk back in....
    Hi all,

I haven't posted for months but I have still been reading the forums, it's been really busy at work and home which is good but I still have debt to pay. I have said it time and time again so I need to make it happen, I am currently going through everything I can that can be reduced again unfortunately the biggest area is food shopping still massively overspending despite some good areas where dh makes his meals for the week so cheap and cheerful it's all the extras that add up. We have got out of the habit of meal planning and seem to be at the shops every day! This stops now

So updates on situation and finances:
    * My work - I an now contracted for 4 days a week which is great and have lots of work to do over the next year, luckily I enjoy my job. I'm also starting to look at setting up a small business to earn a little extra income but as it will be a social enterprise there will be a lot going back to the community in terms of the activity I provide.
    * DH work - the staff were called into a meeting a couple of weeks ago and told there there is 2 years left in the plant and not 10 years as expected, we are hoping that instead of redundancy dh will be safe as he works across a number of areas compared to others although it may involve a bit extra travel time.

Current debt:
    * Barclays loan - 3000
    * Overdraft - 1500
    * Car finance - 7300
    * Credit card - 1900

Other:
    We are currently getting work done in the house, hoping to get ds room and our room done this year, we are not having a holiday this year. Last month we paid for some work to be done by the electrician and the joiner was meant to come on Monday but has been delayed which isn't a bad thing as more time to put aside the 360 for it. We also paid for ds to go on a school trip which was 130 and a deposit for the joiner of 200. So a very expensive month.

We still need to pay for the following - next installment of ds school trip for next year 100, joiner 360, Dad's birthday, plasterer 200, carpet, paint/curtain pole and curtains/lightshade.

So onwards and upwards! Today dh and dd have gone camping for the night so it's just me and ds, he is currently reading one of his new books that have been paid for by vouchers from survey site and we sold some toys that he no longer used to pay for them I'm going to do a meal plan from the stocks of food we already, I'm done some surveys this morning and reposted some more bits on fb selling site.

As well as saving for the jobs I need to build up my emergency fund and also my target debt is the credit card.

Lots to do, H x
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 2nd Jun 18, 2:43 PM
    • 4,803 Posts
    • 16,382 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Lovely to see you posting again.

Hope your all ok, take care. xx
    Amazon vouchers
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 3rd Jun 18, 12:25 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Day one was good, nothing spent mainly because ds and I stayed in all day - as planned all meals at home. Today has been good so far, dd and dh got home really early from their camping trip and are shattered so still peaceful!

I've made a loaf and homemade wraps/chapati type breads for our burritos for lunch plus chopped up left over salad items. Washing out on the line and last night I actually caught up on the ironing which I hate.

I'm back at work tomorrow after a few days off so currently writing a list of everything I need to do, why is it you get hundreds of emails when you're off?

I will catch up on surveys after lunch and also work out how much to try and put aside for each of the expenses coming up.

Hope everyone is having a good day, H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 5th Jun 18, 10:09 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Evening all, I did write a short post last night but it didn't save just as well as I was ranting about how not one person in the house could get bread and milk whilst I was working afternoon and evening - I only knew when ds told me when I was getting ready for bed. So quickly got dressed and went to the shops! Also unfathomable reason why dh washes his own plate and cutlery after dinner when there's the rest of the dishes to do!!!!

Anyway back to it, two low spend days sticking to the menu for food but needed some toiletries from H*me Bargains, small payment made to credit card of 8 pounds (keyboard gone doolally so can't find pound sign) and some money to come in from a couple of survey sites.

Question for you lovely peeps - how do you put aside money for savings when you have lots of pots to fill i.e. the kids need shoes, I need to pay for school trip and ds room but don't know which to do first. Would you split between them or save one first and go from there?

We have a new app for expenses at work and had a message to say my expenses had been approved a new record since I usually have to chase it up.

I had some great info from a colleague about my small business, I need to write a business plan and work out my set up costs etc. If anyone knows how I would go about finding info about paying tax when self-employed (will be extra/second job) please share diolch yn fawr - thanks very much.

H x
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 5th Jun 18, 10:19 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 3,672 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    When you become self employed you will need to let HMRC know, which will in turn trigger a tax return which you complete and pay any tax that is necessary. When you first register as self employed HMRC are quite helpful and send out an A5 information folder ( well at least they did when I registered at self employed a few years ago, it's probably all online now!).
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 3123 in Jan 18
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 6th Jun 18, 8:18 AM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 22,717 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning H,

Lovely to see you back xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 6130.00 Cap 1: 305.35 BC: TBC

POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD 6559.32/7000
    Savings for Christmas 233.21/365
    20p Savers 2018 2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 10th Jun 18, 12:58 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Thanks for the info Honeysucklelou2 and thank you Purple - I must catch up on your diaries x

A busy few days with work, club and almost finished setting up 2 weekly free events (famous running events) plus trying to keep house tidy which is not being very successful.

We had a lovely phone message from school and dd told us that she had scored 100% in her national Maths test, the results don't come out officially until the summer but the school wanted her to know!!

I am going to be really busy with work over the next few months and setting up the business so I need to be organised with meal plans and get the kids to help out around the house so will devise a rota with them . I have a name for my business now and am trying to get a logo sorted, next step will be a bank account and sort out the tax as mentioned. It's really odd but both my brother and sister have set up their own businesses this year too.

Some small payments from survey sites sent over to credit card so this currently stands at 1822 before interest is added, I keep looking for 0% balance transfers but no luck at present.

Had an impromptu BBQ yesterday and used our potatoes from the garden for salad, some more potatoes and beans ready to eat too, I need to sort out the next lot of seed potatoes to grow.

Hope everyone is having a fab weekend.

H x
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 10th Jun 18, 1:13 PM
    • 4,803 Posts
    • 16,382 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    All sounding good, but gosh you are busy.

Hope the new business venture is a success.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.xx
    Amazon vouchers
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 14th Jun 18, 12:41 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    HI hi, very busy week so far, only online at the mo as ds is poorly so having to work from home. No further progress with own business as I need to go into the bank to sort out an account but I'm fully booked all next week too so no chance.

I haven't done any surveys for a couple of days, I'll do a few after lunch but I have put a bit of money into savings account and next small payment towards cc will be Tuesday when child benefit comes in or if any survey payouts are ready.

DH has just told me he's phoned mobile provider to sort out his payments so a few pounds saved a month, I need to phone S*y to take off the answerphone facility and go to line rental only which will save 6 a month - but always good doing a figure over the year as that's 72 back in my account rather than going to them! In fact doing it now - bah always a hassle!!! Actually the lady was lovely and I've managed to get the 6 reduced I asked if there were any offers on our broadband and managed to get a reduction of 10.99 a month for 12 months and also a credit of 20 so this month's bill will be 6.43 and then 33 for the rest of the year. I know we could probably still get better offers but we're happy with our usage and and service with them.

I was shocked to read the article in news about the lady who was left a note asking her not to hang out her washing as it was apparently spoiling the views in the village, how narrow-minded! Thankfully the village soon got behind her and challenged it by hanging up washing all over.

H x
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 14th Jun 18, 2:19 PM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 22,717 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    I was shocked to read the article in news about the lady who was left a note asking her not to hang out her washing as it was apparently spoiling the views in the village, how narrow-minded! Thankfully the village soon got behind her and challenged it by hanging up washing all over.

H x
    Originally posted by hugglemonster
    That did make me chuckle, good on the village for sticking with her!

Well done on the savings and I hope DS is feeling better soon xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 6130.00 Cap 1: 305.35 BC: TBC

POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD 6559.32/7000
    Savings for Christmas 233.21/365
    20p Savers 2018 2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 18th Jun 18, 7:38 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Oh dear I'm in the bad books, dh phoned the bank today to request a new PIN and it gave him a balance of the overdraft. Ooops, he didn't know how much it is so he was furious, I did explain that that's what happens when we regularly overspend on food and we've had lots to pay for recently that we haven't saved for! I think he has had a lightbulb moment finally. I can deal with his mood for a few days, but it means the focus of my repayments has to be on the overdraft as he certainly doesn't know about the credit card - he would divorce me!

So operation overdraft clearing starts, I get child benefit in tomorrow but there's still a week until I get paid and the next stage of ds bedroom is being done next Monday. I also need to buy the door at the weekend, I do have a voucher for BandQ though so that will help.

The overdraft limit is 2400 and current balance is -2080, when I get paid on Monday I'll reduce it to 2000. I'll then have to reduce it bit by bit maybe every 100 made I reduce by same amount?, I always find it difficult but I'll use ynab to guide me with what I need to pay and the income.

Need to get this business going to earn a bit extra, will pop into the bank tomorrow to book an appointment.

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 19th Jun 18, 12:30 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Afternoon, well dh is talking to me and seems to be ok hopefully this will finally kick him into action and stop relying on me to do all the work and also pestering me to buy things for him! I did offer to pay in the xmas savings of 196 in 2 coins but he said no.

He's starting well, he needs an eye test so I've found him a voucher for a free one and he's going after work today and then we'll order a new pair of glasses online for a fraction of the cost.

I went into the bank this morning but no business advisers in branch or the next town, I have booked on to an event in 2 weeks time at a local business centre (free) so hopefully I'll get all the info I need to start up. I will write my business plan this weekend as I have 3 busy days at work coming up.

I've just paid slightly more than minimum payment to credit card bringing that down to 1770.

Off to work in a bit for the rest of the afternoon/evening so home late but have got soup and bread for their teas.

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 28th Jun 18, 10:12 AM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Phew busy, busy, busy!

We are going to be really stretched this month and it's not event the 1st of July, joiner has been so have paid for that and also have to pay next installment of ds trip of 100. I have done the basic outgoings for July on YNAB but haven't included food, fuel, spending money etc. yet as it's looking bad. I haven't included expected income of expenses and a repayment from some tickets that I sold.

It's my Dad's birthday tomorrow and we have family up for a few days, BBQ at the weekend and some other things going on that all will cost!

So it's operation menu planning, scrimp and save, no extra purchases and get a grip!

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 3rd Jul 18, 1:35 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Hi all, amazing how the days pass in a blur of activity, weekend was lovely for Dad's birthday and catching up with family, we manage to keep spends to a minimum plus my ticket sale payment arrived and have been very naughty and paid a bit more off the credit card instead of the overdraft.

Expenses have been submitted of nearly 300 so will be good to get this back in the account, I will leave it there this time.

I went to a business planning workshop yesterday and it was useful despite the fact it could have been done in half a day and there was one really annoying bloke that I could have quite easily flicked on the forehead with a ruler! Next jobs for the business are to open a bank account and register as a Social Enterprise.

Meal planning in full swing to cover the next few days, I had a chat (again) with dh about sticking to budgets and then being able to pay off debt / pay for a holiday next year. One day it will actually sink in that if we spent less on food then we would have more to save or do other things.

July outgoings:
    2 x birthdays
    dd needs summer shoes and clothes, ds needs shoes.

Aiming for a really cheap month, will put off plaster coming until end of August to give us some breathing space in the budget.

H x
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 4th Jul 18, 2:35 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,706 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Good afternoon, so not much happening money wise which is good in one way because I'm not spending much but equally not paying off anything today. Surveys have been dire today and nothing else coming in, I'm holding off making another credit card payment as the next statement is due so I want to pay that and then add extra on top so it doesn't leave me short.

I've had good news today that one of my events has been given the go ahead so from mid August I will be very busy every Saturday!

New business has me confused, I need to register as a Social Enterprise before I can get my bank account but I need a small board (people) and need to check what documents are needed. There is lots of information about setting up the business but I need a simple checklist to make sure everything is in order. I don't think I'm going to have everything ready before the next grant deadline. I'm going to give the office who did the training on Monday a ring to speak to someone 1:1 - just phoned and booked for next Wednesday.

Added up current outstanding debt (without mortgage) and hate seeing such a large figure just over 15,000! I'm contemplating seeing if we can change our mortgage company sooner rather than leaving until all the debt paid off, hopefully reducing the monthly payment.

H x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,858Posts Today

9,081Users online

Martin's Twitter