Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Ted Bloke
    • By Ted Bloke 3rd Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    • 20,325Posts
    • 21,893Thanks
    Ted Bloke
    IHT on living in oarent's house?
    • #1
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:12 PM
    IHT on living in oarent's house? 3rd Dec 17 at 2:12 PM
    Does having a son and family living rent free in (self-contained) part of father's property and father paying gas/electricity/water bills and Council. Tax constitute a gift for the purposes of IHT? I mean would the last 7 years of this constitute something that could be inheritance-taxed?
    Witch hunt saboteur. Sorry my posts so long - not time write shorter ones. A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel - “The very first step we must take is the acquisition of enough self-respect and self-confidence to say that we have met an enemy and that he is not us, but someone else.” De asini callidi nauseatum sum
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 3rd Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    • 6,513 Posts
    • 6,069 Thanks
    • #2
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    • #2
    • 3rd Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    if father is paying for the utility costs from this regular income without there being any reduction in father's savings/capital then those payments would fall outside the scope of IHT anyway.

    if father is paying for them and his cash savings are reducing as a consequence then yes they would count for IHT purposes under the 7 year rule.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 3rd Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    • 9,395 Posts
    • 9,528 Thanks
    • #3
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    • #3
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    There is an IHT gift exemption for payments to help with another person's living expenses - see here. I Whether it would apply in the OP's circumstances I dont know but could be worth investigating.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 3rd Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    • 5,095 Posts
    • 5,681 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • #4
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    • #4
    • 3rd Dec 17, 5:52 PM
    Is this self contained dwelling treated as a separate dwelling for Council tax purposes and does iit have its own utility supplies?.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,156Posts Today

8,066Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

  • We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should?

  • RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

  • Follow Martin