Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • pangit58
    • By pangit58 2nd Dec 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Car insurance for son's car
    • #1
    • 2nd Dec 17, 10:04 PM
    Car insurance for son's car 2nd Dec 17 at 10:04 PM
    My son has moved up to London, and so has no need to use his car for some time. The car is therefore parked at our home, and has been for some time. I would like to start to use the car, as well as continuing to use my own car. What is the best way to insure this so that i can use it myself. I am already the sole driver of my own car, and I will be the sole driver of my son's car also. I am assuming the best way is to add the car to my own insurance, but not sure if I can if I am not the registered owner of the car. Will it be cheaper/ easier to insure if I register the car in my name rather than keep it in my son's name ?
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 3rd Dec 17, 4:22 AM
    • 26,948 Posts
    • 10,850 Thanks
    • #2
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:22 AM
    • #2
    • 3rd Dec 17, 4:22 AM
    Not being the registered owner/keeper may bump the premiums up.

    The comparison sites wont be any use because they usually assume your the owner/keeper.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

    My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

    Due to me being a tight git.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 3rd Dec 17, 6:07 AM
    • 3,420 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    • #3
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:07 AM
    • #3
    • 3rd Dec 17, 6:07 AM
    You won't have any NCD to use on the second car.

    I advise ringing your existing insurer and seeing what they'd be prepared to do. If you're lucky they will mirror your existing NCD onto a second policy. That also gives you the chance to ask them about the registered keeper issue.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 3rd Dec 17, 8:10 AM
    • 7,475 Posts
    • 5,956 Thanks
    • #4
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:10 AM
    • #4
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:10 AM
    Call your existing company and see if they will convert cover to a multicar policy.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    • 37,227 Posts
    • 156,855 Thanks
    • #5
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    • #5
    • 3rd Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    Another option would be to keep the car in your son's name with him as the main driver and add yourself as a named driver.

    Some insurers may give a discount for the son being away, I know Admiral did when my son was at uni and the car was at home.

    The added benefit will be your son building his own NCD.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,208Posts Today

7,076Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin