Where do I start?

I have only now decided that perhaps it might be a good idea to look into this PPI claim business - and now I find there are also a lot of other things I might be able to make a claim for. How and where do I make a start and what do I do if I don't have the paperwork? I only tend to keep bank statements for about 3 years or so. Insurance policies paperwork I tend to get rid of a year or so after it ceases to be relevant. I also have some concerns about the fact that I have actually made use of Mortgage Protection Insurance on two (maybe three) occasions in the past when unemployed. My mortgage is now fully paid for and I would be concerned if making any PPI claim meant that my mortgage might no longer be fully paid off. MSE site is very good but there is SO MUCH to look at and read and try to take into account. One item that does niggle at me at present is a holiday insurance I took out for a short Xmas break in the UK in 2016. There was an outbreak of a stomach bug that affected about one third of the people at the hotel, including me. My insurance company said they do not normally pay out on what they call 'loss of enjoyment' and needless to say I did not receive any recompense. I would call that more than 'loss of enjoyment'. Would that be a good place to start? Guess what, I destroyed the paperwork only a month or so ago! It is recent enough to remember most details I hope and I still have the relevant bank statements. I hope someone in this Forum can give me some pointers. Thanks in advance and I hope the length of this posting does not put anyone off.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,038
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I also have some concerns about the fact that I have actually made use of Mortgage Protection Insurance on two (maybe three) occasions in the past when unemployed.

If you used them, whilst it does not prevent you from complaining, it does mean that your complaint reasons are severely restricted. You can no longer say you didnt know about them, that you were not eligible or that they were not suitable.
    My mortgage is now fully paid for and I would be concerned if making any PPI claim meant that my mortgage might no longer be fully paid off.

Mortgages and insurances are separate things.
    One item that does niggle at me at present is a holiday insurance I took out for a short Xmas break in the UK in 2016. There was an outbreak of a stomach bug that affected about one third of the people at the hotel, including me. My insurance company said they do not normally pay out on what they call 'loss of enjoyment' and needless to say I did not receive any recompense.

If you used a travel company for this, you could have made a claim with them. Insurance isn't there for that sort of thing.
    Would that be a good place to start?

No. This is nothing to do with PPI. Insurance pays out for things it covers. Not things it does not cover.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure