Paying bills by cash

Options

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gaz1971 wrote: »
    ...the PO tell me they don't allow them to be used anymore and I don't have a branch of my bank locally. Any ideas?
    ...on the back of the statement it tells you to fill in the giro and take to PO but I was told by a neighbour that they don't take them

Is your neighbour a Post Office?

Can't you pay your statement using a debit card or by bank transfer? It's not like you're trying to hide you're income because you're claiming ESA and working on the side! ;)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...but the PO tell me they don't allow them to be used anymore...
    ...I was told by a neighbour that they don't take them

So which is it that you're relying on, the PO or your neghbour? If it's the latter then you're wasting our time until you have actually been to the PO to see if they will take your cash.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 December 2017 at 5:40PM
    Options
    If the slip has TransCash on it the PO should take it but may charge a fee to do so. If your PO refuses then you should sent the Post Office's head office an email complaining, as the whole point of TransCash is that you can pay those bills at the Post Office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Ltd#Bill_payments
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What are all these bills you need to pay and pay in cash ? All my utilities , rates, council tax, phone, CC etc are paid by DD. My local window cleaner, gardener, cleaner paid by bank (a nice job while watching the snooker this afternoon) I have about £20 on me actually in cash and draw at a ATM £100 a month.; I have written one cheque in the last 3 months .
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I have bills I would like to pay with good old cash so I don't have to pay the cash into the bank.
    Why is it a problem to pay cash into a bank?
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Why is it a problem to pay cash into a bank?
    Because HMRC and/or DWP will know about it?

If this is the case, then they may start wondering why you don't pay any bills from your bank account.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Because HMRC and/or DWP will know about it? If this is the case, then they may start wondering why you don't pay any bills from your bank account.

Hardly a crime.

Besides the credit file shows money spent on credit cards and total payments (even in cash) each month.

The OP could try NatWest - they may accept the credit card payment over the counter. The reverse side of the credit card statement will usually confirm payment options.
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I used to pay Vanquis at the main post office( sub po wouldn't accept it), charged £3 fee I think
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, not sure if this is right place, so apologies if not.

I have bills I would like to pay with good old cash so I don't have to pay the cash into the bank. My credit card co sends paper bills with giros attached to make payments at the PO or your bank, but the PO tell me they don't allow them to be used anymore and I don't have a branch of my bank locally. Any ideas?

Jam Jar Account at your friendly neighbourhood Credit Union. Works a lot like bank standing orders and transfers for one-off payments. Beware if you also take a loan because in that case they will credit check you and are also likely to report to the CRA(s).
  • Gaz1971
    Gaz1971 Posts: 488 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lol lots of accusations flying about! I paid it at the PO, cost me £3.05.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure