Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • sputnik15
    • By sputnik15 2nd Dec 17, 7:48 AM
    • 27Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Do I have to pay this......
    • #1
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:48 AM
    Do I have to pay this...... 2nd Dec 17 at 7:48 AM
    Can I have some advise please........

    I left British Gas in November 2016 and yesterday I received a letter stating that they refunded us too much at that time. British Gas now requests us to pay the refund back, and have given us 25% off the refund payment, but they want us to pay the remainder.

    I am unable to check whether they paid us too much as I have changed my current account, although I do not remember an overpayment.

    Do I fight this or should I just pay?
Page 1
    • spiro
    • By spiro 2nd Dec 17, 7:54 AM
    • 5,928 Posts
    • 2,842 Thanks
    • #2
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:54 AM
    • #2
    • 2nd Dec 17, 7:54 AM
    Companies can legally go back 7 years.
    In terms of your bank statements etc, you should really keep 7 years in case there are things like this or tax checks.
    How much money are you talking about?
    IT Consultant in the utilities industry specialising in the retail electricity market.

    4 Credit Card and 1 Loan PPI claims settled for 26k, 1 rejected (Opus).
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 2nd Dec 17, 8:05 AM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 2,187 Thanks
    • #3
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:05 AM
    • #3
    • 2nd Dec 17, 8:05 AM
    Hopefully you kept your final bill and as said above have still got some of your old bank statements.

    Most banks will furnish you with statements but they usually charge for them. You should request a full breakdown of the charges frpm BG.

    As said above you should keep statements or bills for a decent amount of time to cover eventualities like this as it becomes extremely difficult to make your case without supporting evidence.

    If you are on paperless billing then save a PDF or screenshot of bills or statements and keep them on your computer - you never know when you might need them.

    I'm guessing that if you'd overpaid them you'd expect them to refund your money so it's not unreasonable for them to try and get their overpayment back from you. You just need to be able to check that they are correct.
    Last edited by matelodave; 02-12-2017 at 8:11 AM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

800Posts Today

5,707Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin