Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Snuggles1
    • By Snuggles1 1st Dec 17, 10:40 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Issues with HB and Council Tax
    • #1
    • 1st Dec 17, 10:40 PM
    Issues with HB and Council Tax 1st Dec 17 at 10:40 PM
    I separated from my husband in July this year, I went from 3 jobs to 1 as could not sort childcare etc.
    I started claiming HB wtc/ctc due to working 23:25 hrs a week.

    I got a council tax rebate. I got myself sorted and carried on. Then mid September I get letters telling me I need to start paying council tax again and I have been over paid my HB.
    Apparently HRMC had told them I was still working 2 jobs.
    I sent my P45s to show my end working dates.
    This took 4 attempts.
    I finally had them agree that I didnít work to jobs, but they only say this started on 2nd Oct once they got my p45ís.
    Now I have received a letter saying I owe £200 per month in council tax, my HB is being cut to £380 till HB overpayment is paid.....
    I donít know what to do. No one seems to be willing to help. They just say itís HRMC. They donít send the letters I request showing breakdowns so I cannot fight it.

    Please help
Page 1
    • CIS
    • By CIS 2nd Dec 17, 11:36 AM
    • 10,517 Posts
    • 6,077 Thanks
    • #2
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:36 AM
    • #2
    • 2nd Dec 17, 11:36 AM
    Until HMRC correct any error the council will continue to use any information passed to them - try making a complaint to HMRC and then their Adjudicator if you feel they've acted wrongly.

    The council can override the information received but you'd need to prove to them that the HMRC information is wrong, ultimately if the council refuse to make a change it would require tribunal for each of the HB and CTR to try and force them.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a self employed Council Tax specialist. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,195Posts Today

7,708Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

  • Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa?

  • Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t?

  • Follow Martin