Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • DD2580
    • By DD2580 1st Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Debt urgent help
    • #1
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:32 AM
    Debt urgent help 1st Dec 17 at 9:32 AM
    Hi - not really sure what area to post this in, so positing in a few, here goes!

    I need some urgent advice. I have found myself out of a job since end of October. My line of work is secretarial and is on a contract basis, and usually go from job to job, mostly 1 year + contracts so have always been fine. this is the first time I am without a job and have made my last pay, and some small savings to last until now, and now I am running low and worrying that my bills wont get paid and don't know where to start. In the new year things wil be easier to get a contract it generally is this time of year so I don't know if its possible to freeze such things like credit cards. I'm listing my outgoings below.

    1 credit card 0% int - monthly min 45
    1 credit card 0% int - monthly min 40
    1 credit card, (BCARD) int I am unsure right now but monthly min is 130
    car insurance - 65
    Mobile phone - 45
    Mobile insurance - 10

    Is it possible to "freeze" your credit cards for a period of time until I get another job?
    I don't know what to do, want to sit and ring them all up today and have some sort of plan to help me over this few months just until mid / end Jan I think. I just want some advice first, scared to ring and say I don't have a job!

    luckily living with parents so not needing to worry about rent etc but they are not in good shape financially either so can't ask for help.

    please help me

Page 2
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 2nd Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 12,457 Posts
    • 9,507 Thanks
    Fatbelly - thank you for your advice really helpful as always. I have looked at JSA but its changed to Universal credit which now takes 6 weeks to get

    Will apply now and just see what I can do, think its my only option. I've just never done it before and almost feel embarrassed to claim

    thank you
    Originally posted by DD2580
    Even if you're in a Universal Credit Full Service area, you can still claim the contribution-based benefit if you have the NI contribution record outlined in post#2.

    This is now called New-style JSA

    The T&Cs are as I outlined in post #13

    This simplification of the benefits system is incredibly complicated. Thanks, IDS
    Last edited by fatbelly; 02-12-2017 at 2:07 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

1,645Users online

Martin's Twitter